Chapter 6

Our Efllorescence Relationships

Chapter 6

My second day in Seoul, I spent it with aunty Sujin, Jin’s mom, and aunty Miseok, Sumin’s mom. At first, we were suppose to only have lunch together, but that led to kimchi making, and finally, a home cooked meal from the two woman. Which, may I add, was delicious.

Stretching my arms high above my head, I sigh happily, remembering just how great the meal was. “Wow, aunty’s food is still so delicious, the tofu is just like how I remember.”

“Mom made that especially for you,” Jin told me, holding up the small bag, “She even packed you some for your midnight snacks.”

I was so touch, taking the bag with a plastic container filled with tofu stuffed with marinated pork, which is then covered by tomato sauce. Looking at this, makes me want to stuffed them all in my face. “When you get back, tell aunty I love her.”

Sumin started laughing at that, holding her stomach as she did. “Your face is so funny, I don’t know how someone can look so happy with just food!”

“Hey, hey! Have you seen yourself when you’re eating your favorite food?” I retorted immediately. Sumin is worse than me when it comes to her favorite food.

“You two are both the same, such fatasses.”

Laughing at Jin’s comment, I can only shake my head. There’s no use in denying it.

 


 

"Your phone..." I groaned, pulling away from the arm wrapped around my waist, and pulled the pillow over my head.

"Not mine..." Kris retorted, rolling on his side, he scoots closer to me, and rested his head on my shoulder. "Just ignore it."

Taking his advice, I snuggled deeper into the pillow, only for it to ring again after a second of silence. Groaning, I blindly reach for the phone, "Hello?" I pick up the phone, not bothering to check who it was. Most likely Jin or Sumin. Probably to remind me about tonight's dinner.

"Wake up! We're almost there!" Sumin shouted into the phone, laughing when I groaned. My head hurts so much right now.

"What?" I ask tiredly, what is she even talking about? On the other hand, I should really hold back on the alcohol.

Sumin sighs, and took in a deep breath. "Wake up, and get ready. We are almost at your hotel, 5 minutes away."

It took a while for her words to process in my head, but once it did, I swear, my eyes literally popped out of my head. "What?!" Practically screeching into the phone, I bolted upright, pulling the covers along. "You're what?"

"We're almost at your hotel," The way she said it, I just knew she was rolling her eyes. "We are literally 5 minutes away, so get ready. We're going to grab breakfast together"

"Sumin-ah, what room is she in again?" I could hear Jin's voice in the background. "Ask her!"

"Anyways, get ready! And Jin, I know what room she's in!" Sumin told her just before hanging up.

Still in shock, I could only stare at the phone, "Who was that?" Kris ask, pulling me away from the shock.

"! ! !" I didn't answer his question, jumping out of bed instead, I pulled him up into a sitting position. "You need to go Kris. Now." Making sure that he was actually awake and aware, I quickly pulled on an old pair of pajamas before running to gather his things.

"What? Come on, do I look that bad sober?" He ask jokingly, coming up to me from behind. "Cause you definitely look much better sober." He turned me around, and took his things from my arm. "At least have breakfast with me?"

It's not like this is new or anything, I've been doing this far too long to be fazed by his words, but Kris is really handsome. He's tall, have nice broad shoulders, strong arms, large eyes, and a very charming smile. But he's not Seungcheol. "Kris, I hope you know this is only a one night thing… Right?"

He sighs, and laid a kiss on my cheek. "I know, but I was hoping for more." Shrugging, he started towards the bathroom. "I'll just take a quick shower..." He paused, turning back, he shot me a bright smile, and saucy wink. "You can join me, if you want."

I could only shake my head, "Just hurry up!" I told him, and started to tidy up the room, before joining him the the bathroom, brushing my teeth, and washing my face while he took care of his business.

Since Jin had work early yesterday morning, and didn’t get off until later that night, and Sumin have classes from morning to evening, I had the entire day and night to myself. Meaning, I got bored, and one thing led to another.

Wrapping the bathrobe tightly around myself, I walked him to the door. "Are you sure we can't see each other again?" Kris asked, his hand tucked in his pockets.

"You’re sweet Kris, but I’m sorry.” Placing a hand on his shoulder, I gently push him out the door. “Last night was fun.”

“Fine, fine,” He ran a hand through his hair, and lean down, pressing his lips to mine just as Jin, Sumin, Wonwoo, Jihoon, Mingyu and Seungcheol rounded the corner of the hallway.

I was frozen in shock, everything was moving so slowly, I swear, it was as if time itself stopped. Looking at my friends over Kris’s shoulder, I could see the shock plastered all over their faces.

“One last kiss for the road.” Kris said as he pulled away, “I hope you’ll at least call me again, Faye.” And just like that, he walked away, pausing to nod at my, still stone shocked, friends.

“ me…” Was the only thing I could say.

“But he already did”

“Shut up, Mingyu!”

 


 

Jin and Sumin plowed towards me, and pulled me through the door, the guys following closely behind. Jin looks so blank right now, I’m a bit afraid. “Who was that?” She wasn’t screaming, but the way she said it, is very scary.

“Uhhh… Kris?” Answering quietly, I held my breath, ready for her to blow up in my face.

Thankfully, Sumin piped in, “Jin, let’s head in first, and let Faye get ready.”

“Yeah, good idea!” I didn’t even wait for her to agree or disagree, bolting straight to the bathroom instead. God this is so awkward.

Taking some time to calm myself, I was afraid of what Jin and Sumin would think of me. I was afraid they’ll think less of me, that I’ve changed too much.

At least, that was how I felt until I step out of the bathroom, and came face to face with the Jin and Sumin standing right in front of the door, Jihoon and Wonwoo behind their respective girlfriend, Mingyu was just sitting by the large window, and Seungcheol leaning against the closet door, arm cross over his chest.

The feeling of emptiness had pushed away the fear of what I thought my friend would think of me.  I didn’t accept it before, nor did I think much about it, but I had changed. And the idea of them thinking I’m easy made my stomach drop. Maybe now, they’ll come to the conclusion that we’re no longer compatible as friends, I mean, we haven’t been close for a long time, and no matter how much I want to deny it, these were the facts that we tried so hard to push away for the past few days.

Flashing them a small grin, I quickly shuffle towards my closet, Seungcheol moving away courteously.  Thanking him with a curt nod, I quickly picked out a tight pair of jeans, and knitted shirt, before heading back into the bathroom.

Getting dressed, I look myself over once more, before stepping out. I decided I wasn’t going to talk to them about this, it’s best to avoid the subject completely. “So where are we going for brunch?” I ask them casually, picking up my purse and phone.

It seems both Jin and Sumin got the hint, both of them moving away from their position with a sigh. “We were thinking some dim sum.”

“Perfect!” Turning to the guys, I lift a brow in their direction, all four of them are still sitting or standing in the same place. “Are you guys not coming?” And just like that, they began chattering away once more, the easy atmosphere returning.

Heading out of the hotel, we spoke casually, catching up one another on the last two days. I want to lie, and say that it was just like old time, but it wasn’t. Not even close. There is a line between us all now, and currently, everything feels so forced, is this what the last couple of days were like too?

Sumin, Jin and I were speaking to each other normally, as normally as we can at least. But every conversation that comes up, always somehow lead back to the past. I realized now, no matter how much I want it, it seems we’re still stuck with our past friendship that no longer exist presently.