It's Burning Up In Here

All In A Day's Work

A/N; I just saw how Himchan lights a fire and plays with a lighter in rain sound! So fitting!!

----------

Jongup and Himchan, surprisingly, were in a normal environment. They weren't difficult to find. Unfortunately, the cost of travel wasn't cheap. Yongguk sighed at his empty wallet. He dressed normally, not wanting to raise the suspicion of the criminals who wouldn't hesitate to gather information on him and blow his home up. Clearly the man was nervous. How would one just casually approach a criminal - let alone a couple of pyromaniacs - and invite them to form a group? Well, it wasn't as if he had time to formulate a better plan in a matter of a minute as he neared the misleading image of a normal household. 

Right before the red door he paused, taking in the wooden scent the door had to offer. It smelled horrible. Any longer and he would have been labeled as a creepy man that randomly stood outside peoples' doors, so Yongguk just went for it. He let his knuckles tap the door lightly, but after a while of no response he pounded on the door rather loudly. He heard something, maybe a thump, which happened to be Jongup falling out of the couch he was previously sleeping on and basically dragging himself towards he door. He stood up, not bothering to fix himself, and opened the door groggily. The boy ignored all of Himchan's rules to peek out of the peephole before opening. He was tired. He didn't care.

"Uh-" Yongguk didn't know what to make of the abnormally normal sight. A tired boy. He'd been sleeping. In a onesie. Specifically a Pikachu onesie. His rabbit teeth and the way the hood of his onesie hung loosely over his eyes made it hard to believe that the person in front of him was a criminal that blew up buildings for fun. But Youngguk knew. He knew that it was the right guy. If the burn scar peeking out of the yellow sleeve of Jongup's onesie was anything to go by.

"Spit it out. I'm an athiest, if that's what you're here to talk about." Yongguk shook his head in denial, making sure to keep the attention of the boy and not allowing him to close the door by discreetly placing his foot at the edge of the doorway.

"Are you Moon Jongup? And where is Kim Himchan?" The man was confused as to Himchan's whereabouts. His eyes scanned the area behind Jongup, but all he found was scattered chip bags and fallen cushions. No sign of a living person.

"And why would you need to know where I am, hmn?" An unfamiliar voice came from behind Yongguk. Jongup looked over the commander's head and smiled fondly at Himchan, but Yongguk just turned around and gulped slightly. Up close, Yongguk saw everything. Himchan's build, his pointed glare, his menacing smirk, and... grocery bags? He could be mistaken for a mom, the way he held keys on an index finger and carried grocery bags that happened to contain condiments as well as cooking utensils. There was a flash of bewilderment in Yongguk's eyes. These had to be the weirdest criminals he'd ever met.

"I uh- I need to uh... I need to have a word with uhm... you guys..." Yongguk was uncharacteristically stuttering. It was weird. A habit that happened to appear whenever someone intimidated him. That was rare. Sure he was nervous before, but Himchan's aura and overall tone just sent shivers down his spine.

"In that case, come inside. I need to make lunch, so." That was surprisingly easy.

~*~*~

 Yongguk sat next to Jongup who'd been playing a game on his Nintendo 3DS for over an hour at the dining table. His eyes were focused on the image of Himchan's back as he prepared whatever meal he had in mind. It bothered him, how two criminals could act as if countless of innocent peoples' blood didn't stain their very hands. The same hands that cooked a simple meal for an uninvited guest. Unfortunately, Yongguk couldn't scold them for the action, or their behavior despite it. He had killed many during the few wars he'd taken a part of. Yongguk never forgived himself for it, but knew he had to walk on as if nothing of the sort had happened.

It was normal to him now.

He sighed to himself, resting his head against the dining table and sitting in wait. He let his guard down for only a moment, but jumped and hit his knee on the underside of the table when he heard a knife make contact with wood. Yongguk looked around to spot Jongup with his head tilted casually, a knife stuck to the back of his chair. When the commander's eyes landed on Himchan, he saw the squinted eyes and deep frown that was etched on his lips. Yongguk felt small.

"Jongup, no games at the table. Wait in the damn living room if you can't wait long enough without your damn toys." The older of the brothers spoke with a twinge of threat in his voice. It was a scary warning, if Yongguk was asked. Yongguk made a mental note to never allow an angry Himchan near knives, he had deadly good aim. When Himchan's eyes locked onto Yongukk's tense figure, his gaze softened. "Sorry for this, I just. Ugh."

"How can you live so peacefully when you're a murderer?" It wasn't how Yongguk intended to start on the topic. It wasn't how he wanted to bring it up 'smoothly' and ask them to join the government. No, but it came out and he had to deal with the consequences. The first being a laughing Himchan who pulled out the knife from Jongup's chair and a suspicious Jongup who crossed his legs as a silent warning. Yongguk had no one on his side in this situation, he had to watch his words carefully. "I don't mean it in a bad way. What I'm trying to say is that you're a criminal - pyromaniacs who undeniably killed people."

"Tell me something I don't know." Jongup said something, one of the very few words Yongguk heard come out of the boy's mouth. He was the silent type, and never risked letting out too much information. He chose an absence of words as his means of communication instead.

Yongguk swallowed his drying saliva and his gaze darted between the two brothers, who stood menacingly. "I meant it in a way like... how do you get away from all the police? How come your life seems so... normal?" The commander sighed when Himchan turned around, humming a small song as he placed the knife in the sink and turned back to Yongguk with a smile.

"And here I thought you were going to ask silly questions and get on my nerves with constant torment. I would have had to kill you with a knife and I think you know I prefer fire as a weapon." The smile looked eery now. "Ah, food is done." The older brother ce more, turning off the stove and grabbing rags in order to place the pot of stew at the center of the table. He also brought a smaller pot of rice, should anyone mix the two entrees. "To answer your question, we take care of our situation by, well, dealing with anybody who tries. Suddenly, forces stopped trying to arrest us. But we don't mind it, we don't ask questions. As long as we can live doing what we love-" Himchan flicked on a lighter that he'd retrieved from his back pocket. "We don't care." He lit a candle, staring at the flame and spacing out for a while. It got to the point where Jongup had to interrupt his little intimate moment with the small source of light.

"Himchan." He said the name barely below a whisper. The sound was nearly missed, but it snapped the connection between Himchan and the flame instantly. Yongguk noticed how close Himchan unconsciously got to the flame when he'd been lost in the bright reds and oranges. It was dangerous to be Himchan, that much he knew. Himchan looked up, eyes meeting Yongguk's and then averting back to the food on the table.

"Let's eat. Then you can finish what you came here for and be on your merry way, Yongguk." The words nearly surprised Yongguk, until he remembered telling the boys his name when he first was invited in.

~*~*~

After a satisfying meal, Jongup was forced on dish duty. He wore big headphones, the loud ones he normally wore when on one of his escapades. They were his favorite. Himchan and Yongguk sat in the living room. While the former seemed to be concentrated on memorizing every portion of Yongguk's facial features, Yongguk was too busy admiring the patterns on the floor. He wished the wooden planks would open up and reveal a void. One that could swallow Yongguk whole and remove him from the fears of social interaction. 

"I know why forces suddenly stopped trying to arrest you." Just one sentence, ten words, fifteen syllables, and forty-six letters could cause the pyromaniac to perk up in interest. His head lifted, if only slightly. His eyes widened a fraction; to show off their pupils dilating in interest. Even Jongup, who normally couldn't hear when he wore the headphones, could sense something in the air - in his heart. He pulled off one side of the headphones and eavesdropped. The boy had a talent for telling when something was amiss, or when something he'd like to hear was being told. "The government. We want you to help us." A brow rose in the other's visage. "I'm Commander Bang Yongguk. I come on behalf of the government. We are requesting you and Moon Jongup join a small organized group which we're hoping consists of our six desired people."

"And just how could a pyromaniac be useful to the government?"

"The deletion of paper only documents, the destruction of buildings," Yongguk waved a hand in the direction of the kitchen Jongup was in when he stated the second example, "and overall murdering of the enemy."

"Sounds fun, but what makes you think I'd just join you, let alone with the brother I swore to protect?" Yongguk smirked at the question, remembering what his superior had told him.

"You've got nothing better to do." Himchan smiled in agreement.

"Ain't that right."

~*~*~

Whoever told the person who had said Himchan had an overbearing sense of fashion, and need to impress wherever he went, that it was an exagerration - was a ing liar. The man walked with a black button up and tight jeans, all complemented with shiny dress shoes. His hair was styled and combed to be parted at a corner and slicked to the sides. In the end, nothing was complete without sunglasses. He walked through the halls of the base like a model. Most soldiers stood there, watching the handsome man with a bewildered expression. Himchan didn't seem to care while Yongguk dealt with second-hand embarrassment. Jongup just hung back, eyes glued to his phone and headphones blasting in his ears despite the sophisticatedness of the facility he currently walked through. 

Yongguk stopped before his superior's office and knocked once, then twice. A voice called him in and he entered the room while beckoning his two companions to come in as well. Jongup still payed no heed to who'd presence he was in. The old man at the desk furrowed his brows, trying to formulate a proper explanation for the younger's blatant disrespect towards him.

"Jongup." Himchan's deep voice came through. Jongup immediately paused his music and slid his headphones down to and around his neck. His phone was shoved into the back pocket of his knee-length shorts. The older brother's control of Jongup was surprising, to say in the least. Yongguk found it awe-worthy, the way one utter of one of the brothers' names from the other's mouth could shut down whatever they did completely, and make them turn their full attention to the situation at hand. It was a bond no one could completely understand, yet they understood.

The superior cleared his throat now, signaling for a bored Himchan to sit in one of the plush chairs in front of his desk. The other two followed after the person who could very well be a model, and sat down. "You should already know why you're here." A nod from Himchan. "Commander Bang Yongguk is assigned as leader of the group being formulated, and he will explain all of the tasks and relay the information to you guys when the whole group is together. In the meantime, here is the location where your base will be at." Himchan leaned closer to read the address on the paper slid onto the desk and view the picture that accompanied. It was the penthouse of a glass and steel building: fancy. "Five bedroom penthouse, a livingroom, kitchen, and two bathrooms. It's the largest penthouse in the area. You should head there now to accomodate yourselves. After that, Yongguk will leave to find the next member. You could either assist him or stay at the base, that's your choice. Dismissed." The three stood up and left the room.

♥️

A/N; Yay! It was their chapter but the brothers didn't show much of the skills. We did learn that Jongup is very quiet though and that Himchan has a tendency to space out... when he looks at fires... watch yourself Himchan!

Anyways you should be seeing more of Jongup's power in the next chapter ;)

Adieu~