Prologue

You Left Me All Alone

Prologue

 

The shrill ringing of my phone startled me out of my dream, and I had to blink rapidly for a couple seconds to get rid of the disoriented feeling. With a slight groan, my hand went under my pillow, grabbing at the annoyingly loud gadget as I squinted at the screen, more specifically at the time. I couldn't hold back another groan that escaped my throat as I hastily swiped at the screen to answer the call; anything to stop that piercing ringtone - why I had even selected that particular piece of music as the ringtone was still beyond me, but I was too lazy to change it now.

"Kyungsoo, in the name of God, why are you calling me so early in the morning?" I growled into the microphone, rubbing at my eyes with my other hand.

"Daeun, it's past 6:30 in the morning right now."

Great. He was the one who woke me up, yet it was he who pointed out what time it was. It didn't matter that the dream I was having consisted of a weird haunted house, with me being the only one stuck inside it. I hated it when anyone ruined my beauty sleep, and for those seven hours of bliss, I didn't mind any kind of dream. Although, now that I think about it, I could faintly remember hearing some sounds in that dream; they were eerily familiar to my phone's damned ringtone. Maybe Kyungsoo's phone call was a good thing after all.

"You do know that my classes don't begin until noon, don't you?" I asked, sitting up slowly on my bed as I propped myself up with my arm behind me. I could almost imagine his signature eyebrow arch.

"Anyway," he continued, as if he hadn't heard what I had just said, "why didn't you reply to any of the messages I sent?" I could hear the confusion in his voice, which was understandable, really; I never left a single message of his unreplied. However, it was my turn to be confused as my brows furrowed together in a deep frown.

"What messages?"

"The ones I sent just now, Daeun," he replied, emphasising on my name, something he did whenever he was being completely serious. Okay, he was starting to get a little impatient now. But did he seriously think that I would be awake at 6 in the morning?

"Kyungsoo, I don't wake up until eight! I thought you were well aware of that?" I had to keep myself from yelling into the phone; I didn't want my mother barging into my room, demanding why I was screaming my head off.

The laugh coming from the other end of the phone call sounded extremely sheepish, and I sighed loudly, scratching at my forehead as I waited for the guy to say something.

"Okay fine, I'm sorry I woke you up. But please, read the messages, and come here. I promise I'll make it up to you one day."

I could literally feel my entire face lighting up at his apology, and the boy had even agreed to treat me! Obviously, that's what Do Kyungsoo's 'making up to you' meant, and my shameless self never let go of any opportunity like this. And this was a golden one! I fought to keep the smile off my face; my voice -- even from a phone call -- was always a dead giveaway to him about how I was feeling. And right now, I was ecstatic. In all of the quarrels and petty fights we had had, Kyungsoo was rarely the one who apologised.

"Here? What does that mean? I'm here as well, Soo." What can I say, I've always loved a bit of sarcasm. Not that it impressed him, though. How boring.

"You will find that out when you read the messages. Be here, okay? Bye!"

I blinked in confusion as he ended the call. He wasn't annoyed? Wow, that was a first. Shaking my head in dismissal of the thought, I turned my attention to the phone. I could hear my jaw hitting the floor as I saw that Kyungsoo had sent me six texts, all in rapid succession. One thing you should know about my best friend: he never sends more than one message at a time. I haven't figured out the reason for that till now, but that's just how he was, so to see a flurry of texts from him was a big shock to me.

I squinted my eyes to get used to the bright light of the phone's screen -- I always had the curtains drawn closed, throwing the room in complete darkness even during the sunniest of days -- as I read the messages. Every single one of them was telling me to come to the public library near the University of Seoul. My eyes flitted over to the time he wanted me to be there, before doing a double take. Seven AM? Did he really expect me to meet him at the library within the next, what, fifteen minutes? We both knew that it took me at least half an hour to reach there by foot. Not to mention the fact that I was currently in my pyjamas.

I had to dismiss all such thoughts, however, as I hurriedly scrambled out of bed, surprising myself as I got ready in record time. Kyungsoo wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't serious, and I coughed up an excuse to my mother about wanting to go on a morning walk, tumbling out of the house. I would have to run all the way to the library. Perfect. Just what I loved.

 

Running did save a lot of time, but it was still five minutes past seven by the time I got close to the library. I could see a figure huddled outside the doors to the building, peeking inside, who I could easily identify as my friend. I took a few seconds to catch my breath before walking up behind him, clearing my throat.

"What are you doing?"

Bad idea, I thought as I was rewarded with a shriek so unlike him as he flinched violently, his usually deep voice sounding more girly than mine. I couldn't help but jump slightly at his reaction, my hand clutching onto my chest as I stared at him. I was just thankful that there were not many people around at this time.

"You're late," he mumbled before turning back to look at whatever he had been looking at through the glass doors.

"What? I made it here in half the time I usually take," I retorted, my hands on my hips as I continued to glare at his back. Shaking my head, I sighed, taking a step closer to him as I tried to peer over his shoulder. "So? What did you call me here for?"

To say I was shocked by his answer would have been the understatement of the year. He turned to look at me once again, and I could literally see the faint blush coating his cheeks.

"So um... there's this girl I ran into once in here..." he trailed off. I knew where this was going, and this time, I couldn't stop the huge grin that creeped up on my face.

"Do Kyungsoo, are you seriously saying you're in love?" I asked, smirking at him as he stared at me with wide eyes, before lowering his gaze to his feet. Ever since befriending this guy, I had never seen him showing any kind of interest in the opposite .

"I wouldn't say love, but..." he tried to explain in a low tone, his eyes still cast downwards, "she is really nice. She works here in the library every morning, and... she is in there right now."

So that was why he had called me here? I couldn't have been more excited as I pushed him out of the way, looking around inside till I spotted a girl, her shoulder length brown hair pushed back with a thick headband, while a happy, calm expression graced her face. "Wait, isn't that Hyerin?" I thought out loud, glancing at the guy next to me as his head snapped up to meet my eyes.

"Do you know her?"

"Yeah, that's Kim Hyerin, I know her from law school."

Kyungsoo's face brightened immediately upon hearing me, and he grabbed me by the shoulders, staring at me pleadingly. "Can you introduce me to her? Please?" He begged, and I sighed once more, feeling the urge to shake some sense in him.

"Do it yourself, my boy," I replied, and since I had the advantage of him being taken aback, I quickly pushed him inside the library, giving him a wink and a thumbs up before running away. Hey, he needed to take the initiative sometimes!

 

Author's Note:

First chapter, finally! I kind of surprised myself. I wrote this in less than a day. But that means that it can be either good, or really crappy. Oops.

So this must be the first time in my life that I've written something in first person. I wanted to try something new, and I hope it isn't too bad.

 

Please leave a comment saying what you felt about it, and whether I should make any changes in my writing style or something. I'm going to try to make this as fun as possible, so I hope you guys enjoy reading it. Toodles~