The Rough Journey of a Measly Caterpillar

Flutterby

 

Author's Note: I have only realized it just now that even though I have mentioned this being a threeshot songfic, I forgot to include the song that made this fic possible, lmao. If the title and the boys aren't clear enough, it is indeed the song entitled BUTTERFLY. Also, I want to thank a close friend, Aida, not only for making the beautiful posters that I've used for this fic, but also for being the one who introduced me to btseo, nyahaha. We've been talking about it for the past few nights and she recommends me a lot of songs too. Thank you girl :') So anyway, I hope to interact with you readers virtually and to read your thoughts on this.

PS Er, there are few curses here and there throughout the fic. I hope it wasn't too much though. It helps me keep the character HAHAH.

bye-bye!

anne 
 


 

“I still can’t believe it
All of this seems like a dream
Don’t try to disappear

Is it true? Is it true?
You You
You’re so beautiful, that I’m scared

Untrue Untrue
You You You”

 

The faint sound of something blowing should have clued in Kim Namjoon that he wasn't the only one at the flat.  

 

He practically had to drag his convulsing lean body through the narrow and steep staircase since the elevator wasn't working that night. It was just his luck that his friend's room was on the third floor and not any floor above than that because by the time he reached the hallway, he was panting and gasping for breath. 

Just a few hours ago, he found himself in a middle of a cluster. One second, he just wanted to ask about the pre-registration of one of the grandest underground hip hop competitions in the area. And the next thing he knew was that his clenched fist landed on the jaw of one of the college guys who itched for a brawl. The dumb s thought he was cutting in line as supposedly an attempt to sneak a peek in one of those cage fights nearby.

What his reckless didn't know was that the guy he jabbed right in the face had back-up. If wasn't for the fact that he was ganged up by four supposedly grown up men, he would've laughed out loud at the ludicrous situation. He thought about the way they looked at him with condescension through their know-it-all sneer. 

But the irony of it all was that it had needed four of them to come onto him–him who was supposedly that lanky pink-haired boy who should go home and cry help to his mommy. His temper got the best of him, or should he say the worst of him because he went head on and took the fight all by himself. He then lashed out at the one who soiled his mother's name.

No mother should ever be demeaned like that.

Not even those mothers who let their husbands treat them like punch bags on a daily basis. 

But even before he could squash the cowards, one bouncer from the club already intervened. 

 

Kim Namjoon plopped on top of the tattered sofa and by the way it huffed, one would think he weighed a ton. He then tried to sit up but he felt like almost all of his muscles protested at the thought. Even if his pride was satisfied that he took all four guys, his body sobbed inwardly in exhaustion. A damn brawl was the last thing in his mind. Hell, inquiring all about that competition was the only thing he thought for at that moment. He didn't even get to ask a thing! It was a downright stupid thing to do but he never claimed to be the one who did smart things either. 

Halfway through his introspection, a loud whisking sound finally registered in his mind. Again? He frowned at that. At first, he thought it was just some kind of an auditory hallucination; getting whacked at his temples a few times during the fight would give him that. But the sound was now clearer and if he wasn't mistaken, it was from his friend Jin's room. 

He stood amid his body's obvious complaints and trudged to its direction. Meanwhile, he tried to remember if his friend told him he would be arriving home first. He then realized that the sound was rather from the bathroom, if being the door slightly open and the light that's on were the indications.  

He kicked the door wide open and the scene that assaulted his swollen eyes would be seared to his mind forever. Jin, one of his closest friends, was using a hair dryer. It wouldn't be so surprising since out of the group, Jin was the pretty boy.  He perfected that role.

But Jin wasn't alone. 

“!” Jin visibly bristled when he saw Namjoon from the mirror. “For 's sake Rapmon, you scared the out of me. My heart ing jumped out of my ribcage, man.” 

Namjoon completely ignored his friend and stared at the skinny figure before him–the other one who wasn't his friend and definitely wasn't a boy. He didn't dare blink his eyes, afraid to know how much of the picture was just made up by his half-delusional mind. 

It wasn't the first time he saw her. He realized.

Sometimes he saw her as if a blurred image passed by his peripheral vision. Most of the times, he saw her in a bit hazy pictures conjured up by his mind before he would eventually wake up. Apparently, he saw only glimpses of her even in his dreams. 

Jin turned the blower off and grabbed a clean towel from the small cabinet beneath the sink. He then shoved it to the girl which ended up cutting Namjoon's sight on her. It was so deliberate and he knew then that Jin was trying to hide her. 

He internally inhaled a lungful of air, painfully so that he felt like drowning. 

I thought you guys are not finished till midnight? Jin grunted more than he asked. All the years he knew him, it was the first time he saw his friend acting all masculine and hyung-ish. Usually, he acted almost feminine. 

But Namjoon wasn't sure if he liked Jin acting like the hyung that he was. He still wasn't sure if the reason for that was the girl that he was trying to—and at the same time failing to—hide behind him.  

Obviously, Jin wasn't really asking for an answer because Namjoon hadn't even responded when he continued.  

And what the happened to you? I thought you're just gonna ask for the rap contest thing? Jin grilled him, eyeing warily Namjoon's bloody face and bruised knuckles. 

“Nothing. Just had a simple altercation on my way,” Namjoon mumbled. He wasn't really downplaying what happened to him earlier but was just apprehensive about the more important matter in the current equation. The girl hiding behind his friend as an example.

“I don't really think a simple altercation would result to a battered face. You look like a total on top of being one, Namjoon.” Although fuming, worry laced Jin's voice. Namjoon knew that his hyung found it very challenging to verbally express a concern but he just couldn't help the roll of his eyes at the guilt-tripping. 

 

Seokjin, stop being mean. 

 

Namjoon and Jin jerked at the soft voice that echoed in the bathroom. Jin looked like he forgot her being in there with them at that moment and slightly blanched for a reason Namjoon didn't know.  

But as for Namjoon, he could never forget. Not even for a second. 

He openly stared at her. She was wearing a black, long-sleeved, cotton nightwear that reached inches past down her knees. The image of her in plain sweaters and long skirts was the sole image he had of her. 

She was talking to Jin and his friend appeared to be sheepish at her. 

Namjoon couldn't help himself but frown again. 

“I'll be going to change first...” The girl trailed off, then blushed. “I-In your room, I mean.” She fumbled as she clarified to Jin. As if it was necessary for her to explain to Jin. Then she dashed out of the bathroom.  

Namjoon was ready to shoot Jin some questions when the loud voices of the other boys boomed as if they didn't care if neighbors heard them. 

 

“Who the are you kid?”

 

Jin's eyes nearly bugged out of the sockets as he scrambled to the living room. Namjoon also scurried after Jin but deep inside he was more worried at how Suga raised his voice at the girl. Well, it was just Suga taking the role of the grumpy boy of the group. But the girl seemed skittish that Namjoon guessed she would be close to tears at that moment. 

“Don't talk to her like that or I swear to God...” Jin growled as he shielded the girl away from the boys. 

The whole gang was complete in attendance and obviously everyone, except Jin and the girl, was stunned.

Jin never protected girls. He was the one who used them at his disposal and was always frank when dealing with them. 

Namjoon felt the throb in his head. Thoughts swirled like crazy and he found it hard to retaliate the onslaught. He was extremely tired and his mind wouldn't stop running thousands of ideas at the flow of the events.

Maybe she's just a really close friend. 

“I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'm really sorry.” The girl whispered, trembling in evident fear. But even if Suga was out of line, Namjoon was perplexed at her reaction.  

Jin puffed. “Stay in my room, Seo. Better yet, go to sleep. It's fine. He didn't mean it. I promise.” He murmured gingerly that Namjoon wouldn't have understood the words if he wasn't straining to hear them. Or if he wasn't so near to the two figures. 

Ever so tenderly, Jin nudged the girl to his bedroom. 

The girl continued to apologize through her whispers even as she waded herself rigidly to the bedroom. 

And as Namjoon watched her face, he caught some tears glistening at the corners of her eyes.  

So he was right at that. 

 

“What the just happened?” 

“You'd think Suga had hit her by the way her eyes went saucers at the sight of him.” 

“Well, when I saw Suga for the first time I almost peed in my pants so I guess I share the sentiment.” 

“Shut up!” 

 

Namjoon then watched his friend Jin like a hawk; now that the focal point of his sight was gone. The guy slumped on the sofa wherein Namjoon had just lain down before. But Jungkook was right at that thought. One would've thought that by the way the girl reacted, Suga attempted to murder her pet or screamed bloody murder at her face.

 

“Who is she anyway Jin? She's a little jumpy and too skinny for my liking but I guess she's pretty hot.” 

She's practically underage, dude. What the is wrong with you? 

What? You're underage too but you don't seem to mind ing my ex-girlfriend who's three years my senior. 

 

“Just shut it. Shut up, okay?” Jin fumed, as if seconds of resting on the sofa charged him his rage back. You kids are talking about my younger sister, okay? I don't have the energy to explain it right now but I would really appreciate if you guys clean it all up especially since she's just a wall away from us. Namjoon still watched Jin as his friend slumped back to the sofa but not quite getting there so the guy ended up on the floor.  

Okay? Okay. Now zip it. And I mean it. Jin then threw an arm over his eyes as if to say to each one of them that he wouldn't be speaking with them at the moment. 

B with questions, Namjoon was deflated. 

But as he joined his friends bantering each other like nothing happened, Namjoon realized that the breath he held ever since he saw the girl was now out. 

And he was pretty sure it was because it dawned to him that the girl—the same exact girl who haunted him in the past few nights—wasn't his friend's lover at all. Not really like how he imagined what was the relationship between the two.

 

Thank God for his lucky stars.

 

//

 

“Will you stay by my side?
Will you promise me?
If I touch you
You’ll fly away and shatter
I’m scared scared scared”

 

It was funny how life worked. Kim Namjoon thought.  

For the past few days—nights—nothing filled his mind but that enigmatic, frail-looking girl who seemed to appear just where he was. But just recently, he officially met her as his friend Jin's younger sister which probably explained how he often saw her lingering around. But the real question was, why?

He then spaced out on nothingness. Well, nothingness plus a few messes here and there. There were actually emptied bottles of soda, cigarette butts and bags of various junk foods littered around the small space called living room. But it might as well be next to nothing. Or maybe it was just his heart talking about what he was feeling inside.   

He inhaled, nicotine infiltrating his lungs, as he savored that one last drag. As he crushed the cigarette on the improvised ashtray, he coughed loudly when he saw a shadow trying—and almost successful at that—to escape Jin's bedroom.

Seohyun, who crept out real silently, straightened her spine at the loud noise that Namjoon made. Her eyes became wide—like one of those deers in the headlights—at the sight of Namjoon's lanky figure plunked on the sofa.

“Hey,” Namjoon awkwardly greeted.

Um, hi... She whispered in an equally awkward greeting.

He scratched his nape as he felt a blush that covered his neck and the tips of his ears. The only saving grace he had was the fact that the light was dimmed because it had been too long since the last time they replaced the bulb.

Seohyun quietly paced then sat to the floor exactly three meters away from him. She was so soft in her steps that it sounded as if her feet barely tapped the old wood. He himself could hardly avoid the creaking sound it made.   

Were you...trying to escape? Yep. Real smooth there.

Seohyun looked perturbed at his statement that he almost said she should just forget it. But she slightly relaxed and looked directly at his eyes. It was so unnerving when people did that to him, more especially since it was her. That warm dark brown pair of beautiful eyes gleamed at him under the poorly lit ceiling.

He wondered if Seohyun wasn't really as feeble as she acted.

Escape...would imply I had to get out of that room because I wanted to be freed. Or that I am being a prisoner held by my brother. She sighed. Well, maybe I am. But. I, I was just... She then averted her eyes on the mess between them as she failed to express her thoughts, which urged another blush from him. But now solely because of embarrassment. For him and for her.

Namjoon cleared his throat. “So you think it's okay for you to be like a prisoner then? Or, I don't know, maybe lose your freedom?” He asked out of pure curiosity. To be honest, he wouldn't miss the chance to hear her and her angelic voice talk more.

“I was just trying to say that...freedom, on its own, doesn't really mean anything.” She blinked as if she just woke from a trance. “Although, I think once lost, one would come to appreciate more its value.” She then looked at him again, her flushed face matching his. “But honest to God, I don't feel like that to Seokjin.” 
 

I swear to God, Honest to God—Namjoon felt himself grin because Seohyun really was Jin's sibling. If the mannerism was any indication.

He should've corrected her that he would never doubt Jin's intentions but he really didn't want to talk about his friend at that moment. “Then what were you trying to accomplish? Being ninja-like and all that...” He asked her instead, but now with a hint of mischief that even the girl seemed to get.

She chuckled and Namjoon felt his heart miss a beat or two. He should be really dead by now. 

“Well, if you must know...I have always dreamed about becoming a ninja all my life.”

“No –wait, I'm allowed to say that in front of you right?” He teased.

There might be an incident when Jin lost his mind when the boys were exposing his sister to violence too much. Apparently, his sister was too pure to get mixed with the likes of them. Namjoon seconded that inwardly.

It was quick but he saw a glimpse of her eyeroll. “Seokjin's mouth is even more foul and he wasn't exactly winning the award for the gentleman of the year.”  

Silence then descended them and Namjoon felt a tug at his heart because even though it was already that late, he didn't really want the conversation to end. It surprised him though since it wasn't one-sided.

There was a moment when Jimin tried to coax her a word but failed immensely. The kid ended up doing all the talking. Literally. Meanwhile, the girl hid behind Jin and pursed her lips as if she couldn't utter one word to reward Jimin and his antics.

Maybe he was just lucky. 

“So...not to be rude but–” He hated people saying that and maybe himself at that time for putting that in the air. But Seohyun didn't look offended and rather waited for him to continue. “–why are you out here then? Aside from not escaping and trying to practice your ninja skills, of course.”

The girl merely grinned at that. She then hugged her knees to herself. “I don't know. I didn't really expect...” 

“That I would be out here?” Namjoon supplied.

She nodded. “Maybe I should practice something psychic starting now, huh.” 

“Or maybe you should start planning throughout so that when something arises—or in your case, someone—you're ready and can deal with it.” He advised her wisely. And damn if that wasn't the most sincere thing he'd ever said to anyone. 

“Maybe...” She simply agreed, but didn't dare look at him now. 

Which then led him to a hypothesis that maybe she had indeed a plan but couldn't do it. Most probably not in front of him. 

Maybe she did want to try an escape. 

But she didn't have anything with her when she went out.

“You know what? I want to show you a place.” He blurted out. 

It was definitely one of those moments where he put his foot on his mouth. Not only Jin would kill him for being out with Seohyun in the middle of the freaking breaking dawn. But he might also get the two of them (him and Seohyun) in danger. Only God knew he attracted so much of that.       
 

But he couldn't do so since the girl responded in a flash. “Okay.”