Numb

The Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day was a blur for both Sungjong and Hyuk, and they found that they could rely on one another for comfort and Sungjong appreciated the younger man more than he had before. He felt guilty for doubting his loyalty and was grateful for his companionship more than ever.

 

Mr Henney kept an eye on the scoring, but didn't tell them any of it. In fact, they had noticed a change in the host. He was a lot quieter than usual and less personal with them, now that there weren't any more challenges. Sungjong watched him as carefully as possible, when he could pay attention and wasn't grief-stricken over losing Myungsoo. Something bad was going on, but he couldn't place it. He just hoped it took longer to get all of the votes in. At this point, he almost hoped that Hyuk would win it, despite his promise to Hoya. He couldn't bear being the only survivor, when so many others had died already. At least, if Hyuk won, he wouldn't know the truth and wouldn't carry the same guilt that he did.

 

On the second day, they were finally called in for the results. Sungjong held onto Hyuk's hand as they watched the scores climb, and he wasn't sure how to feel when he saw that his own score was climbing higher than the younger man's. Hyuk's face was becoming more and more dismayed with every vote that was added onto Sungjong's, and Sungjong was feeling moch more anxious by the second...until it stopped.

 

The entire screen froze, then blinked out and went black. Mr. Henney tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn't work. He seemed confused, and was becoming very irritated with it, slapping it several times. While he was still trying to get it going again, Sungjong and Hyuk saw four black vehicles pull up, and Mr. Henney's expression changed from annoyance to panic in an instant. When several men stepped out of the vehicles with guns, he turned to run. The police tackled him, putting handcuffs on him. Hyuk was shocked with they began reading him his rights and telling him he was under arrest for murder.

 

One of the officers walked over to Sungjong and Hyuk, smiling at them. "Are the two of you alright?"

 

Sungjong could feel emotions coming up to the surface, but he pushed them back down. "Yes, sir. We are. What happened here? How did you find out about what he was doing?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter