For Foxygyu

Woogyu Fic Fest [Authors revealed]

There was once a time where Sunggyu could pretend this wasn't happening, that this had absolutely nothing to do with him. Back then, he would leave the problem be, for as long as possible until it cleared itself and Woohyun came back to the group, smiling his fake smile and it up.

But that time had long since passed, not that he minded much. With feelings came a weird sense of urgency, a need to be there when Woohyun was feeling down and shutting everything else out.

It usually lasted no more than a week or a night out. Woohyun likes being alone for most of it. It's a mood he gets into, every now and then. His cheerful self disappearing to allow all the feelings he suppressed to come out and join the world. It holds his balance and leaves him able to continue without collapsing. Sunggyu knows he needs it.

Still, the knowledge doesn't make it easier.

So when he sees Woohyun sit on the shore, staring at the vast amount of water, his feet carry him to his lover, taking a seat. The ocean is beautiful so close up, the sound of waves meeting land a soothing company. 

And Sunggyu stares, legs folded in front of his body to rest his chin on them. "It's been a while."

If Woohyun heard him, he doesn't let him know, mutely observing the dance of waves. Sunggyu thinks about cutting his view off but then again, he knows Woohyun would just straight up ignore him. So instead he reaches into his pocket, grabbing what Dongwoo had shoved at him before he left the hotel. 

He places the candle down on the sand, holding a hand up to block the wind as he lights the candle up with his other. It's scented so as soon as the flame burns, he's inhaling the sweet scent of strawberries. 

"You could wait for the sun to set before lighting the candle up."

Sunggyu is startled out of his thoughts. His hand slips, dropping the lighter on the candle, losing the flame. He turns to glare because there goes his hard work but the easy smile on Woohyun's face takes him off guard.

His frown disappears and instead he stares blankly at Woohyun. "You are fine," he observes. 

"I am. Have been for a while. I just didn't want to lose the opportunity to sit out here tonight, not when we are leaving tomorrow." 

"I thought you are in one of your moods."

"No," Woohyun hums, now leaning back and stretching his legs on the sand. "I'm in a slump." 

"Oh." Well, now this Sunggyu doesn't know how to approach. Woohyun likes working alone. Working on something and building pride with it. It's like building his own second skin, no one gets part of it. And if Woohyun is open for input, he comes to them, freely. Seeing that he hadn't approached anyone yet means he doesn't want any input on the matter. So no, not his place.

"The ocean looks almost green during the day but at night it's still a raging black like all the others." Yeah, Sunggyu doesn't know what to do and cringes at his own awkwardness. 

"Yeah," Woohyun agrees and now that Sunggyu is looking at him, he's got a sly grin across his face.

"What?"

"You came to cheer me up."

"That much is obvious." He lights the candle up again.

"And then you pulled back and now you don't know what to do." Woohyun's smile stretches. Sunggyu knows it's because he is an idiot.

So instead he opts to ignore Woohyun's remark. He lies back, stretching his aching muscles. Woohyun is good, he is good. He lets his body relax as Woohyun offers his arm as pillow.  "You got one hour and then I'm going in," the younger vocalist informs him. With one hour he can do.

He curls onto his side, closes his eyes and lets sleep pull him under. Exhaustion must have waited long for he's gone as soon as he closes his eyes. 

~~~ 

There is a tap on his forehead, slowly making its way across his face before halting at his chest and stabbing hard. Sunggyu swats whatever it is away, sitting up with the motion. 

Someone tried to kill him. 

And that someone is looking at him, trying his best to hold a blank expression. Woohyun is sitting next to him, index finger held in front of his chest, as if caught red handed.

Sunggyu glares. "Of all the ways to wake me, you decided to stab me?" 

Woohyun holds his hands up in defence, looking anything but apologetic. "I didn't stab you. I woke you up. The sun is gone and I think we should head back to the hotel. And in my defences," he adds, rubbing his arm, “I couldn’t feel my hand anymore.”

“Is my hour over?”

“I don’t know but your candle is about to die.” Woohyun points at the candle at his feet. There is a new glint in his eyes, Sunggyu observes. It’s a good sign. 

“You look better.”

“I got to see your sleeping face.”

“And?”

“Remembered how you puked on me that night.”

“I want you to erase that memory. It never happened.” Sunggyu shudders, not because of the memory, it’s starting to get really cold.

“Never. It’s our start.” 

“You’re a romantic sap.”

“And yet you brought the candle.” Woohyun smiles, eyes on the candle. And suddenly Sunggyu remembers that night, too, in all its agony. And how all he could think about was that Woohyun was always right there and if he could help it, would forever be. Being sick, needy, and in the embrace of someone who showered you with all kinds of affection did things to your brain. 

Sunggyu never regretted returning Woohyun’s feelings that night, not when Woohyun gave him the exact smile he had now. And then Woohyun shifts his gaze, eyes meeting Sunggyu’s, to draw him back to the moment.

Sunggyu's eyes are shining bright, reflecting the candle light. Woohyun is so close, he can feel the other’s breath on his skin. The only sound comes from the crashing of the waves on the shore and they both can still smell the warmth of sand, which the sun left behind. 

And everything up to this point feels absolutely right. When Woohyun reaches out for his hand, Sunggyu doesn’t pull back. He lets Woohyun pull him to his feet, following his movements down the shore, to their hotel. 

That night, Sunggyu sleeps in Woohyun’s room, while the younger works on his composition. “I think I might get something done tonight,” he had said. When Sunggyu wakes up the next day, Woohyun is lying next to him, staring at the ceiling. It’s then that he realises that no, Woohyun is not alright. 

The night had been fruitless, the following days just as much. In hindsight, Sunggyu should have known that Woohyun had perfected his cheerful self, that that night was a perfect act. 

The breakdown was quick, the fight big and the days longer and longer as time passed.

When he finds Woohyun crying later, he knows that this can’t go on. He can’t let Woohyun hide anymore. It’s time to pull until something rips. He won’t mind it being on his part. Being strong had never been easier and falling down never harder. But when it’s all over, Woohyun’s arms are what anchor him, hold on to him. 

So he thinks, being strong was worth it. Because now Woohyun holds on to him as he breaks down. 

A relationship, Sunggyu thinks hatefully, is being there for one another. 

Being strong was so much easier than allowing himself to be a mess. But Woohyun never leaves his side. 

A relationship, Sunggyu admits, gives you a place to stay in while feeling .

Later, when Sunggyu is back to teasing Sungjong, Woohyun makes them listen to his new song. 

It reminds Sunggyu of how Woohyun still went out with him after being puked on, so he laughs out loud. When asked why he laughs, he says that Woohyun is a romantic sap.

 

// Prompt: Sunggyu's eyes were shining bright, reflecting the candle light. Woohyun was so close, he could feel the other’s breath on his skin. The only sound came from the crashing of the waves on the shore and they both could still smell the warmth of sand which the sun left. 

 

 

// This was a pinch hitter work so it took longer (and is shorter) but enjoy it! Now we have all stories gathered! 

The author revelation can go as planned on the 5th! Please look forward to it and remember to leave feedback for all of them :)