The Mall

Lover's End

                Tiffany isn’t surprised to see her friends waiting for her beside the mall’s entrance. Taeyeon had gotten a little lost on the way there. Tiffany couldn’t be mad at her for it, though. Looking at Taeyeon's cutely frustrated expressions had been well worth the 10 or so minutes of lost time.

                Now, Tiffany and Taeyeon are walking hand in hand to the waiting group of four girls.

                “I’m nervous”, Taeyeon whispers.

                Tiffany smiles, “It’s alright. It might be rocky at first, but by the end of the day I’m sure they’ll like you.” Taeyeon just gives Tiffany’s hand a small squeeze in response.

                When the group lays eyes on the couple walking towards them Tiffany feels Taeyeon tense. Tiffany can’t help but find her nervousness adorable.

                “Hi guys! Sorry we’re late.”, Tiffany says when they reach the group.

                Tiffany sees everyone sizing Taeyeon up, and the looks on their faces don’t seem especially approving. She knows it probably doesn’t help that Taeyeon looks unwell, and she catches Yuri staring at their interlocked fingers with a frown.

                Sooyoung forces a smile, “It’s alright. We haven’t been wanting too long.”

                “Yeah, only twenty goddamn minutes”, Hyoyeon grumbles making Seohyun elbow her for her rudeness.

                Tiffany tries to lighten the tense atmosphere, “Uh, anyway Taeyeon, these are my friends: Sooyoung, Yuri, Seohyun, and Hyoyeon”. She says as she points at each one.

                Taeyeon smiles, “It’s nice to finally properly meet you all”

                The unexcited chorus of “you too”s makes Tiffany frown. “Are they even trying to be friendly?” She thinks angrily.

                “Let’s head on in. What did you guys want to do first?”, Tiffany says in a cheerful tone, still hoping to shift the tense mood.

                Sooyoung shrugs, “We were talking about that before you two got here. We don’t really know.”

                “We definitely want to shop, but I think that should be the last thing we do.” Seohyun adds in.

                “Arcade?” Yuri suggests.

                “I like the sound of that.”, Tiffany says with a smile. She turns to Taeyeon, “What do you think?”

                Taeyeon smiles back, “Sounds fun.”

                With that it’s decided; first stop: the arcade.

 

 

                Tiffany’s not surprised to see a bunch of other people, namely middle school kids, already there. But she doesn’t mind. Chances are they’ll stay out of the way.

                “So, what’s first, Tae?”, Tiffany asks.

                Taeyeon hesitates and before she can respond, Yuri answers instead, “DDR. You and me, Fany.”

                Tiffany pauses; that has forever been her and Yuri’s first pick at the arcade. The loser always pays for their next date. But she knows that definitely won’t be the case this time. However, she does love DDR, she just doesn’t want Taeyeon to feel left out.

                Taeyeon tugs on her hand gently, “Go ahead, I’ll watch.” She says with a kind smile.

                Tiffany smiles back, “Alright. But while I’m playing, think of a game that you and me can play together next.” Taeyeon only nods.

                When Yuri grabs Tiffany’s hand to lead her to the machine Tiffany pulls away. “Knock it off, Yul.”

                Yuri turns towards her with a frown, “I’m not allowed to hold your hand?”

                “No. You aren’t.” Tiffany says sternly.

                Yuri scoffs, “Fine. It doesn’t matter.” She says before walking to the machine; Tiffany follows.

                Despite acting tough, Tiffany knows she hurt Yuri’s feelings. Things like holding hands had become second nature to them. Tiffany turns to look at Taeyeon who had been behind them the whole time. She’s only looking around at all the games. Probably trying to figure out which ones to play. Tiffany lets out a relieved sigh, “Looks like she didn’t see that incident with Yuri…”

 

 

                It’s only been five minutes when Tiffany decides to end DDR with Yuri. Something about it just isn’t as entertaining as usual. However, looking off to the side every now and then to see Taeyeon clapping and smiling was amazing.

                “Have you thought about what you want to do?” Tiffany asks Taeyeon.

                “Yeah. House of the Dead?” Taeyeon asks.

                Tiffany links their fingers together, “I think that sounds good. Have you ever played it?” Taeyeon shakes her head. “I have just a little bit… let’s try to make it to the end, alright? Even if we use up all our coins.”

                Taeyeon chuckles, “You sound really determined.”

                “What can I say? I’ve never beaten it.”

 

 

                By then time Tiffany and Taeyeon beat the game about 45 minutes have passed and everyone else has left the arcade to venture elsewhere in the mail.

                Tiffany walks out of the arcade massaging her sore hand, “That was fun, but my hand is going to be sore for a while.”

                Taeyeon smiles, “Was it worth it?”

                Tiffany grins back, “Absolutely. So, where to next?”

                Seeing Tiffany rubbing her hand, Taeyeon takes it in her own and begins to gently rub Tiffany’s palm and fingers. “Shouldn’t you text your friends and see where they are?”

                The feeling of Taeyeon’s fingers tenderly massaging her hand distracts Tiffany. The odd coolness of Taeyeon’s skin only makes the sensation more enjoyable. “I uh, I guess so.” Tiffany chuckles, “I actually kind of forgot that it wasn’t just us.”

                Taeyeon smiles, “It is nice when it’s just us, isn’t it?”

                Tiffany nods. She’s debating on just staying apart from her friends. Spending time alone with Taeyeon is a lot more relaxing than worrying about her friends insulting her date.

                “I actually don’t really want to text them… I just want to spend the day with you.”

                Taeyeon tilts her head curiously, “Are you sure? This was supposed to be your day to hang out with them. I just tagged along.”

                “It’s hard to have fun with them being jerks.”

                “It doesn’t bother me, really.”

                “Whether it bothers you or not, they shouldn’t do it. I promise that they aren’t usually so rude… I don’t know what’s wrong with them.” Tiffany sighs deeply before smiling, “Let’s just forget about them for now. I want to spend more time with you”.

                Taeyeon grins, “If that’s really what you want, alright.”

 

                At least two hours pass before Tiffany feels her phone vibrate. It’s a text from Sooyoung:

 

-Where the hell are you, Tiff?

 

-Me and Taeyeon just went off on our own. Are you guys ready to leave or something?

 

-No. We’re at the food court. We’re going to get something to eat and then see a movie. You can meet us here or whatever.

 

                Tiffany can almost feel the passive aggressiveness in Soo’s last text. Of course she’s pissy about Tiffany not spending the day with them, but Tiffany doesn’t care. It’s what they get for being so rude to Taeyeon.

                “Is something wrong?”, Taeyeon asks.

                Tiffany had paused walking to check the text, and is now frowning slightly. Tiffany tries to shake off the bitter mood her friend put her in. “I’m fine. Where did you want to head to next?”

                “Not that I really want to, but I think I should get home.” Taeyeon says with an apologetic smile.

                Tiffany can’t blame her. Over the past few hours she had noticed Taeyeon looking more and more unwell; her pallid complexion becoming waxy and her movements becoming slightly shaky. Tiffany had asked her many times if she felt alright and Taeyeon had told her not to worry each time. It looks to Tiffany like she finally realized she needed to rest at home.

                “Is it because you’re feeling sick?”

                “A little bit. You can stay here with your friends if you want.”

                Tiffany shakes her head, “No. I think I’m done here, too. Are you alright to drive?”

                Taeyeon smiles, “I don’t feel that bad. Just a little nauseous.”

                Tiffany isn’t sure about that. Taeyeon’s appearance indicates otherwise. Regardless, Tiffany simply nods before locking hands with Taeyeon and walking out to her car.

 

 

                The ride to Tiffany’s house is unnervingly quiet. Not in an awkward sense, but because Tiffany is too busy staring at Taeyeon and trying to gauge how unwell she actually is. The more she stares the more Tiffany begins to worry. Since they’ve gotten into the car Taeyeon’s shakes have become so violent that they’re almost shivers.

                When they reach the house Taeyeon turns to Tiffany with a smile that seems forced, “I’m sorry I had to cut today short. I really enjoy the little time we had to spend together, though.”

                “It’s alright, really. Uh, Taeyeon, are you sure you’re okay? I think you need to see a doctor or something.” Tiffany says with genuine concern.

                Taeyeon laughs, “No, no. I’m fine. I get like this from time to time. Sometimes I just don’t eat how I should, you know? Once I drop you off I’ll grab a proper meal and then get some rest. I should be as good as new by tomorrow.”

                “Are you sure you don’t want to stay here, or take me home with you so I can help take care of you? I’m really worried.”

                Taeyeon smiles at Tiffany affectionately, “No, but thank you, really. You don’t need to be concerned, I promise.”

                “Will you please text me tonight before you go to bed? Just so I know if you really are alright.”

                Taeyeon leans forward and gives Tiffany’s forehead a gentle kiss, “Of course. In the meantime don’t worry about me. This just happens sometimes. Maybe we can set up a different time to hang out together?”

                Tiffany nods, “I’d really like that.” She steps out of the car, “Drive safe, Tae, and get well.”

                Taeyeon smiles, “Of course. I’ll talk to you later tonight.” Tiffany shuts the car door and soon afterwards Taeyeon drives off.

 

 

                Tiffany is trying to watch TV, but her mind keeps wandering to Taeyeon. It’s only been an hour since they last saw each other, but Taeyeon had seemed so sick that it was almost scary. Tiffany wants to text her so bad, just to make sure she’s alright, but at the same time it’s been such a short amount of time, and besides Taeyeon had promised to call before she went to bed.

                Tiffany’s mind races, “She said this happens sometimes and she acted like she had it under control. Does she have some sort of chronic illness? No, no. That’s not it. She said it’s because she doesn’t eat like she should sometimes. Does she have an eating disorder? Or maybe she just lives off of ramen noodles and junk food. A lot of people her age that live on their own do that… But she also didn’t eat that one time we went to a restaurant…”

                The feeling of her phone vibrating interrupts Tiffany’s increasingly panicked thoughts. She smiles in relief when she sees that it’s Taeyeon.

 

-I got some food in my tummy and I’m feeling a lot better now. I’m sorry if I made you worry L

 

-I’m just glad that you’re alright. Does that happen a lot?

 

                Tiffany replies back. She doesn’t want to pry, but she also really wants to know what’s going on.

 

-It doesn’t happen all that often. It’s nothing medical or anything like that. Ha, I just forget to eat things that are good for me, you know?

 

                Tiffany smiles; it was just like she thought. And luckily it was the least serious thing that had crossed her mind.

 

 

 

AN: Sorry to have been gone for so long! This is just a kind of short update to let you guys know that I'm still around and will still be updating.