Sounds Like a Date

Lover's End

                Three days after her ordeal in the woods, Tiffany is doing her best not to limp as she walks into her favorite café. She’s been thinking about Taeyeon a lot during the past three days; the beautiful, small but surprisingly strong girl has been on her mind almost nonstop. Even replacing all her thoughts of Yuri, who she had been crushing on for so long.

                Tiffany enters the café and orders her regular before sitting down at her usual spot without paying much attention to anything around her. “I wonder what Taeyeon is doing right now? Has she thought about me at all?”, Tiffany’s thoughts wander as she takes a bite of her muffin and stares out the window.

                Out of the corner of her eye Tiffany sees someone take the seat in front of her and turns to see who it is. A wide grin spreads across her face as she sees the very girl who’s been on her mind so much recently. “Taeyeon!”

                Taeyeon laughs at how excitedly the other girl greets her, “Hi, Tiffany. How is your leg doing?”

                “Oh uh, I got stitches in it. It still hurts some and I’ll probably be walking kinda weird for a little bit, but I’m alright.” She explains.

                Taeyeon nods before smiling, “It’s so good to see you again. Honestly, I don’t usually come in here but I decided to check it out today. I’m so happy that I did. I’ve been wondering if everything turned out alright.”

                Tiffany smiles back widely; the thought of Taeyeon thinking about her makes her stomach flutter. “I’m glad you did, too. I really wanted to see you again…” she glances down shyly.

                “Why’s that?”

                Tiffany bites her lips and thinks for a second before looking back to Taeyeon, “You were really nice and sincere when I was hurting…” She pauses, wondering if she should really add what her brain is wanting her to. “Also… you’re really cute.”

                Taeyeon smiles widely, “I’m glad you think so. I think you’re absolutely stunning.” She chuckles, “Even more so when there’s enough light for me to actually see you.”

                Tiffany feels herself blushing. She’s nervous to say what she wants to, but decides that if she wants this to go anywhere she has to throw away her inhibitions, “So does that mean…”

                Before she can even complete her sentence Taeyeon practically reads her mind, “It means I might have a bit of a crush on you.”

                Tiffany smiles so widely that it almost hurts her cheeks, “Seriously!?”, It’s too good to be true. Tiffany knew she was attractive, and many of the guys at school made sure she knew it. However, for Taeyeon, who seems to embody every aspect of what Tiffany considers girlfriend material, to not just like women but like her? The odds were slim, and Tiffany knows she’s lucky.

                Taeyeon raises her eyebrow, “Is it that hard to believe?”

                Tiffany looks down a little nervously, “Well… I mean… finding other girls who are into girls isn’t exactly easy. But now some woman that I just ran into in the woods is telling me she likes me?” Tiffany pauses, “You’ve also been on my mind a lot… I think you look gorgeous and from what I’ve seen I like your personality, too.”

                Startled, Tiffany almost recoils when Taeyeon reaches across the table and takes both of her hands in her own. “You’re saying you think I’m too good to be true?”, Tiffany nods shyly, making Taeyeon chuckle, “Honestly, that’s the best compliment I’ve ever gotten, especially since I think the same thing about you. I go out for a walk and find someone so beautiful… even seeing you today is kind of crazy. I mean, I never go into this café, but on the one day I do I see you here.”

                Tiffany can’t help but grin. Both Taeyeon’s words and the feeling of her warm and soft hands overwhelm her with happiness. “Well, what are you doing for the rest of the day?”

                “I was just going to walk around town some and then head back home. I don’t really have any plans.”

                “Would you maybe want to hang out with me today?”, Tiffany asks shyly. She was supposed to meet up with Yuri later, but that can wait. After all, she sees Yuri every day at school, but who knows when she’ll see Taeyeon next.

                “Of course! I’d really love that. What would you want to do?”

                Tiffany shrugs; what would she want to do? She didn’t even think it mattered. As long as she could spend the day getting to know Taeyeon better.

                Taeyeon smiles, “Why don’t we just cruise around for a bit then? My car’s outside.”

                Tiffany nearly jumps out of her seat, “That sounds amazing!”

 

                Tiffany’s more than a little surprised by the car Taeyeon drives. It’s an old model… a very old model. The paint is faded, chipped, and there are patches of rust. Once in the car Tiffany notes a vaguely fetid smell that’s covered up by a pleasant berry-like aroma; air fresheners no doubt. Despite the car not being what she had expected, Tiffany doesn’t judge Taeyeon for it. After all, not everyone can afford a brand new sports car.

                Once they’re on the road with no particular destination in mind, Tiffany starts up a conversation. “Sooo, what school do you go to?”

                “I actually graduated last year. I moved from my home town to here not too long after that. How much longer do you have left?”

                “I’m just finishing up my senior year of high school now. I’m not sure what I’m going to do after that.”

                Taeyeon nods understandingly, “Well you still have a lot of time to figure it all out. Honestly, I’m not doing much now a days. Some odds and ends work, enough to keep me fanatically comfortable, and that’s about it. I’m sure I’ll change my career path later, but for now I’m doing fine.”

                “So any reason why you chose to move here?”

                Taeyeon’s silent for a few seconds before answering in an almost robotic tone, “I inherited a house from my grandma after she passed away.”

                The answer is oddly curt, but Tiffany chalks that up to Taeyeon not wanting to talk about deceased family members. To make up for unintentionally turning the conversation dark, Tiffany starts gabbing about her own life. Telling Taeyeon about her move from America to Korea, about her school life, friends, and nearly anything else she can think of. Tiffany talks for almost a half hour total as Taeyeon drives around aimlessly and occasionally makes short comments.

                Finally the car comes to a stop at a public parking lot in a place that looks vaguely familiar to tiffany. It’s only once she reads the sign that’s close by that she knows where she is, “Lover’s Park…” she says out loud.

                Taeyeon smiles, “I thought it would be nice to get some sun. This place is a whole lot more cheerful in the day time.”

                Tiffany’s never been the biggest fan of nature, but as long as she has Taeyeon here to keep her company, she doesn’t mind. Plus, she’s got to admit, it does looks much better in the daylight. “Yeah. It’s really pretty.”

                Tiffany goes to open her door, but before she can Taeyeon has already jumped out of the car and raced to the passenger side to open it. The chivalrous gesture makes her grin. To top it off, Taeyeon takes one of Tiffany’s hands in her own and helps her out.

                Tiffany giggles as Taeyeon shuts the car door behind her, “Thank you. You’re a little old fashioned, aren’t you?”

                Taeyeon smiles, “I guess you could say that.”

                Tiffany’s body tingles with giddiness as Taeyeon leads her by the hand to a bench that looks out onto the fairly large pond that’s in the park. On top of the surface are many swans and geese.

                Taeyeon takes a deep inhale and grins, “I love it here. So peaceful.” Her smile doesn’t falter as she turns to face Tiffany. “It’s even better with you here.”

                Tiffany’s heart flutters, somewhat because of the statement, but mostly because of the look Taeyeon is giving her. She glances at Taeyeon’s lips while biting the corner of her own; wanting almost nothing more than to make their lips meet. Tiffany’s about to take the initiative and lean forward when her phone vibrates.

                Groaning at the interruption, Tiffany looks to see that it’s a text from Yuri; asking her where she’s at. Tiffany face palms herself. She was so caught up with Taeyeon that she had forgotten to text Yuri to cancel their plans.

                “Is something wrong?”, Taeyeon asks.

                “No. I just forgot to tell Yuri I wouldn’t be able to hang out today. Now she’ll probably be pissed.”

                Taeyeon gives her a concerned look, “Did you ditch her to hang out with me?”

                Tiffany grimaces, “Maaayybbeee. But I see Yuri almost every day, not hanging out with her today isn’t a big deal.”

                That makes Taeyeon smile, “I’m flattered you’d cancel your plans just to spend some time with me. But don’t leave her hanging next time, alright?”

                Tiffany can’t argue with that. She hadn’t meant to even do it this time, but Taeyeon had just distracted her so much. She texts Yuri back apologizing and explaining that she ran into Taeyeon and that they’re hanging out. She knows Yuri won’t be happy with the answer, especially after she had clearly stated how much she didn’t like Taeyeon. But Tiffany knows she’ll get over it.

                When text is sent, Taeyeon asks, “So what were you and Yuri planning to do today? If it’s alright that I ask?”

                “We were just going to get something to eat and see a movie. No big deal.”

                Taeyeon smiles, “Sounds like a date.”

                Tiffany chuckles, “I guess it was kind of supposed to be, but neither of us said so.”

                “And you cancelled it just so we could hang out?”

                Tiffany playfully nudges Taeyeon with her elbow, “Quit making it sound like such a big deal. Me and Yuri have been going on those stupid little hangout-dates for years and nothing has come of it. Besides, I wanted to spend some time with you and actually get to know you.”

                Hearing that makes Taeyeon grin, “You make me feel like I’m special or something. You’ve been chasing after this girl for years and suddenly I’m more important?”

                Tiffany chuckles, “Me and Yuri are going nowhere fast. She likes do couple-ish things without the actual commitment. I’m positive it’s not just me that she’s doing that with. I hate it. Besides, I do think you’re special. You saved me from probably hours of being hurt and scared in the dark. Even if my friends would have come after me, I doubt they’d have been able to find me very fast.”

                Taeyeon glances at the ground shyly, “Thank you, but you don’t need to praise me so much. I was just in the right place at the right time.” Taeyeon pauses and looks back up at Tiffany inquisitively, “Uh, not to pry, and you totally don’t have to answer, but about what said was going on between you and Yuri. It sounded like you two might have been… uh… you know… physical?”

                Tiffany bites her lip in embarrassment, but answers none the less, “Just a few times.”

                Taeyeon smiles, “You don’t have to act so ashamed of it. It’s not a big deal. I guess I was just curious about how close you two are. Uh, anyway, do you still want to go out to eat and see a movie? We could go.”

                Tiffany can’t help but grin, “Sounds like a date.” She teasingly mimics Taeyeon’s words from earlier.

                Taeyeon smiles back, “I was hoping that it could be.”

                Feeling beyond giddy about the idea, Tiffany practically jumps off the bench, “Let’s go then!”

                Taeyeon chuckles, “Sounds good to me.”

 

 

                The restaurant is the first place they go. Tiffany had jokingly suggested that they go to an upscale restaurant and Taeyeon had taken it seriously. She had even promised she’d pay for everything after Tiffany had said she didn’t have the money to go to such a place.

                Tiffany is still in shock even as their waiter sits them down at a table. “Are you sure you can afford this?”

                Taeyeon smiles, “I’ve already told you I can, stop worrying.”

                “But… it’s unfair for you to spend so much money on me, especially on our first date.” Tiffany has never been one to complain about people spending money on her, but this just seems like too much.

                “Listen, don’t worry about it. I have some extra money to burn. Get anything you want alright? And if you’re still feeling guilty about me paying for your meal, you can pay for my movie ticket, sound good?”

                It definitely isn’t a fair trade off, but Tiffany can see that Taeyeon is set on eating here, and is getting a little annoyed with her nagging. Finally Tiffany just agrees.

                Despite what Taeyeon had said, Tiffany picks out her food from the less expensive side of the menu. When the food arrives she starts eating right away; it’s delicious and she’s starving. She almost forgets Taeyeon is with her until she’s finished her meal.

                When Tiffany looks up from her plate she’s surprised to see that the small salad Taeyeon had order has gone untouched. “Aren’t you going to eat?”

                Taeyeon smiles, “I ate right before I went into the café. I’m really not hungry.”

                It bothers Tiffany that she isn’t eating, especially when what she had ordered was barely even a meal. However, she doesn’t want to be rude, so she doesn’t press the issue.

                “Then I guess we’re all done here?” Tiffany asks.

                “Unless you want some dessert? It looks like they have some good ones.”

                Tiffany smiles at the offer by shakes her head, “I’m pretty full. I don’t think my tummy can handle anything else.”

                Taeyeon nods before flagging down their waiter and getting their bill. Tiffany catches a glance at the cost and grimaces. But Taeyeon seems unfazed by it. She just pulls out cash, gives the waiter a generous tip, and then pays.

 

 

                “What were you planning on seeing?” Taeyeon asks as they stand in front of the theater, looking at what’s playing.

                “I didn’t really have a certain movie in mind. Since you paid for my food, why don’t you pick?”

                Taeyeon accepts the offer readily enough, “Why not that zombie movie? It’s showing in ten minutes.”

                Tiffany bites her bottom lip in worry; she’s never been the biggest fan of horror movies.

                “Hey, if you keep that up you’re going to end up chewing your lip off.” Taeyeon says with a faint smile, “Do you get scared easy?”

                Tiffany chuckles, “You should know the answer to that. You did see how freaked out I was in the woods didn’t you?”

                Taeyeon links their fingers together, “You don’t need to be scared. I’ll be right beside you the whole time.”

                The gentle tone of Taeyeon’s voice and the comforting feeling of her touch make Tiffany relax. “We can see it, but you aren’t allowed to let go of my hand through the whole movie.”

                That makes Taeyeon grin, “No problem. I’ll protect you from those scary old zombies”

                Tiffany rolls her eyes, “Oh, quit it. I’m not that big of a baby.”

                Taeyeon gives her hand a gentle squeeze, “I know. But it’s just soooo fun to tease you about it.”

“Such a bully.”, Tiffany says before giving her a light slap on the shoulder. “Come on, let’s get in there so we can get good seats before people start showing up.”

 

 

                Thirty minutes in and Tiffany finds herself clinging to her date. Leaned over as close as she can, one hand gripping Taeyeon’s forearm tightly, the other squeezing Taeyeon’s hand. Every time something sudden happens on the screen Tiffany buries her face into the other girl’s shoulder. Taeyeon doesn’t appear to mind, in fact, she seems to think it’s cute. Every time Tiffany hides her face in Taeyeon’s shoulder she would feel the hand that wasn’t in her death grip her hair gently.

                The simple act helps to dispel Tiffany’s fear; making her focus more on the butterflies in her stomach than the movie. The thing Tiffany likes the most is after the scary scenes, when she looks up to see Taeyeon grinning at her; her dark eyes twinkling in the dim lit theater.

 

 

                After the movie is over Tiffany is a wide-eyed scared mess, despite Taeyeon’s efforts to calm her during the movie. It didn’t help that the ending wasn’t exactly a happy one.

                As they walk out of the theater Tiffany is still clutching Taeyeon’s hand, “Are you alright? It wasn’t that scary, was it?”

                Tiffany gives her a weak smile, “I’ll be alright. I’ll be seeing those gross zombies in my dreams for weeks though.” She shivers in disgust. Taeyeon only grins silently as they continue their way to the car.

                When they get there Taeyeon opens the passenger side door, and Tiffany climbs in; reluctantly letting go of the other girl’s hand. After the passenger door is closed Taeyeon rushes over to the driver’s side; probably sensing Tiffany’s dread of being in the car alone.

                Once inside and buckled in Taeyeon asks, “Where to now? Your home?”

                Tiffany frowns, “I want to spend more time with you if you aren’t busy.”

                Taeyeon grins widely, “I like that idea better. Maybe we could go for a walk? Can your leg take that?” Tiffany nods immediately, though she’s not sure if her wounded leg actually can take it. “Alright. If you don’t have any preferences, I know this really nice trail we could go to.”

                “I think that sounds great.”

 

 

                It’s passed dark when Tiffany arrives home. Her day with Taeyeon had gone by way too fast for her liking. She had loved every second of the day. Their stroll had been nice; walking hand in hand down the lightly wooded trail. They had talked and laughed, and on more than one occasion Tiffany had found herself staring at Taeyeon’s lips trying to work up the courage to initiate a kiss.

                It’s now that they’re parked in Tiffany’s drive way that she’s really feeling the urge to make their lips meet set in. She’s trying to prolong their time together until she has the courage. “Today was really nice. I’m so happy we ran into each other. I really thought I wouldn’t see you again after the night in the woods.”

                Taeyeon smiles, “You can’t get rid of me that easily. Uh, speaking of… could I possibly have your phone number?” She asks as she reaches over Tiffany to the glove compartment. After some shuffling around she pulls out a pen. “Damn… do you have any paper on you?” She asks as she hands over the pen.

                Tiffany can’t help but laugh, “No cell phone?”

                “I left it at home”, Taeyeon sighs.

                Tiffany rummages through her purse and finds an old receipt. She rips off a small piece before writing her name and number on it. After a second of thought she puts a heart around what she’s written.

                Taeyeon chuckles as she takes the piece of paper, “Cute.” When she looks up their eyes meet and Tiffany is thinking that now is her chance. If they don’t kiss now she’s going to have to wait until the next time they’re together.

                Just as Tiffany is about to lean in Taeyeon breaks their eye contact, “Oh, and I got something for you.” She reaches beside her seat and pulls out a red tulip with a short stem.

                Tiffany can’t help grin. She had seen the same tulips beside the parking lot at the trail, but she hadn’t even seen Taeyeon pick one. “Taeyeon, thank you! I-“

                She goes to grab the tulip but Taeyeon pulls it away with a smile on her lips, “I had something in mind for this.” Without saying anything more Taeyeon leans forward, and puts one hand on Tiffany’s shoulder while the other places the tulip behind Tiffany’s ear. Taeyeon leans back to admire what she’s done and grins, “Beautiful.”

                Tiffany wants to reply, but she can’t find the voice to. Taeyeon’s face is less than a foot from her own and all she can do is stare at her lips.

                Taeyeon chuckles, “God, you’re so obvious.” She puts her hand on Tiffany’s cheek, leans in and lets their lips meet softly for a few seconds before pulling away with a wide smile.

                It was such a simple action but it leaves Tiffany flustered beyond words. Taeyeon can only grin at Tiffany’s reddened cheeks and blank stare. She plants another small kiss on Tiffany’s lips and this time when she pulls away Tiffany breaks out in a wide grin.

                “I thought I had lost you there for a second”, Taeyeon says with a smirk.

                “I guess you just surprised me a little bit. I really liked it though.” Tiffany chuckles in embarrassment.

                “You’ve been staring at my mouth for half the night, I figured it was about time one of us did something about it.”

                Tiffany gives her a playful slap on the arm, “I’m just not good with making the first move.”

                Taeyeon grins, “I’ll keep that in mind.”

                The thought of whatever that might mean makes Tiffany’s heart beat a little faster. She sighs, “I guess I should be getting inside now. Thank you for today, and the flower.” She says as she steps out of the car.

                “You don’t need to thank me, I really liked being with you. Sleep well, alright? Try not to think of those zombies before you go to sleep.”

                Tiffany groans, “Why’d you have to remind me?”

                Taeyeon smirks, “Just because. I’ll see you later.”

                “Hopefully soon.” Tiffany says before shutting the car door and watching Taeyeon drive off.

                When Tiffany gets up to her room she happily collapses on her bed with a sigh. Today had been an amazing day. She takes the tulip out from behind her ear and spins it between her fingers with a smile. The short kisses they shared were so simple yet perfect. Taeyeon was really something. Tiffany feels like she’s known the girl for so much longer than she actually has. She feels so comfortable around her.

                Tiffany glances at her bedside clock and grimaces; she should definitely be getting to bed. She just hopes she can actually get to sleep with all these thoughts of Taeyeon running around in her head.