Between duty and love.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 20. Between duty and love.

 

 

Seungri took his noonim’s arm with strength, afraid that she was just a mere illusion and the excess of sunlight in his years as a pirate was tricking him. She looked as charming as usual, even with the wrinkles forming in her eyes and forehead, as a result of her constant worries. As gently as he could, he offered her a seat near the fire and offered his winter cape to protect her clothes from getting dirty on the floor.

 

"That’s a really bad idea, Seungri. You never paid attention to manners, do not start now and keep yourself warm, please."

 

"Of course, noonim."

 

All the Silver Dragons sat around her, and, Bo Ah, felt speechless: “How can some people risk their lives so diligently for a sentimental cause like this one? There’s no glory or honoring your lineage behind this? They must be really loyal to my brother” she thought.

 

"What do you know about the attackers of the Royal Family, sister?" Yuri went straight to the point.

 

"How have you been doing all these years, sweet Yuri?" Bo Ah ironically asked.

 

"We do not have time for these trivialities. We are in the middle of Joseon, the Navy wants our heads and we do not have a place to hide."

 

Bo Ah sighted, frustrated once more with the presence of her sister. She used to make her feel tired and exasperated when they were younger, but, old habits die hard. Carefully, she took some papers from her cape, and gave them to Jiyong.

 

"These… are…"

 

"Your fake identities, for at least four months. I do not know if we’ll need more time, so, if it is the case, we can figure out something then."

 

Jiyong read the documents carefully and once he finished, he shared them out with his crew.

 

"I listen, noonim." Jiyong waited for Bo Ah's plan.

 

"Neither the King nor the Queen know you are here, and the information I am sharing with you must be kept in secret. If I hear any rumor of you betraying us, because I know everything that happens in the palace, I will tell them your location. No hesitations."

 

"As usual, you put the others first. Your family doesn’t matter."

 

"Shut up, Yuri!" Bo Ah yelled. "Let the grownups speak."

 

Ever since they were little, Kwon Bo Ah was known for her sweet voice and infinite patience (she had to take care of some of the most troublemakers in Joseon, after all), so, when she screamed, it was really scary, because no-one was used to it. And, even though Yuri considered herself a grown woman, she felt like a five year old once more and shut up, as her sister ordered.

 

"It is thanks to Queen Mi-young that the investigations about the incidents seven years ago have progressed. It is a long story, so you better sit." Bo Ah glared at Yuri, who sat immediately." All of you."

 

And, with as much organization as she could, the First Palace Lady explained to the Silver Dragons her story. Of how the King was pressured to marry the Chinese princess because the Emperor had lost his patience, how she took control of the finances and discovered a deviation in the shepherd’s budget, how the Chinese Emperor used it to send his most efficient assassin, Huang Qi Zhen, to kill…

 

"They wanted a Chinese princess as the Queen of Joseon, with the idea of having a half-Chinese heir. Park Sandara was a bother for their plans."

 

"So… I was right… it was the Chinese Emperor, after all. AND SEUNG-HYUN DIDN’T LISTEN!" Jiyong complained. 

 

"After all these years are you still resentful?!" Bo Ah couldn’t believe him, his stubbornness was blinding him.

 

"He knew, everyone knew, and we did nothing. I will do something this time."

 

"And what did you pretend to do?" "Kill the Emper…"

 

He couldn’t finish because Bo Ah slapped him strongly in his face, moving so fast no one was able to stop her. She was one of the best warriors in Joseon, after all.  

 

"Are you insane?!" she yelled. "If you do that, it means war."

 

"Then war it is." 

 

"I am so glad the King took away your title from you. You would have killed thousands to avenge a single woman."

 

"She was the Queen of Joseon!" he stood up. 

 

"Jiyong, calm down." Taeyang suggested.

 

"And the peasants live do not matter, or what?"! Bo Ah stood up with her brother, and, although she was a lot shorter than him, her mere aura was imposing. Not everyone could be named the First Palace Lady, and she was proven herself worthy of that position. "This is bigger than us. The Chinese Emperor wants to annex the Kingdom of Joseon to his domains, and he has proven to be merciless about it. He doesn’t care if he kills innocents in the process. But our King won’t sentence his people by directly killing the Emperor. Be practical: the Emperor has a better army and better defenses. Joseon is just recovering from tough invasions… Would you sleep alright at night… knowing you have sent thousands of people to a war we cannot possibly win just to avenge the life of a single woman?"

 

Jiyong lowered his head down, ashamed after listening to his sister’s wise words. No... Sandara was a person who appreciated life and tried her best to keep everyone safe. That’s why she married Seung-hyun and refused him… he still could remember that night, when he begged her to elope together. She stood there, in her room, whispering in his ear: “between duty and love, I have to choose duty. For the innocent’s sake”.

 

Both her sister and Sandara were right: sometimes, although we want to be happy, we have to choose between our selfish desires and what is right. He could not let himself doubt of that again. So, he summed up all the important information Bo Ah had given him, to start creating a plan.

 

"This change in the royal budget… someone must have had to approve it…" "Don’t worry, we are already working on that." she interrupted and gave them new instructions.

 

"You will stay at HeeChul’s summer villa, not far from the capital."

 

"Why?! We can help!" 

 

"No, you can’t, because the registers are in the Palace. It is too dangerous." 

 

Then… what do we do, eh? Wait?" 

 

"Of course not. You have to find lord HeeChul alive and bring him back to Court. He is missing."

 

"WHAT?!" everyone screamed.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Hyori awoke earlier than usual, after a bad nightmare. She tried to keep calm, but it was hard to do because she couldn’t stop sobbing. Just a few seconds ago, she was seeing her lovely daughter screaming and crying for help, being kidnapped by a strange and familiar woman. It wasn’t the first time she had that dream: the first one was when Queen Sandara died, and, ever since, when something bad was about to happen, the former gisaeng always had the same dream. Hyori lighted a candle and walked through the corridors of her villa, the one she used to share with HeeChul.

 

Even though they just had one night stand, full of alcohol and dark pasts, the lord of spies took care of her and their little one, making Seung-wan his legitimate heiress, and one of the richest in the nation. But HeeChul was a person with lots of enemies because he knew too many secrets. So, when the opportunity to put their daughter safe with the Silver Dragons, they didn’t hesitate and took her away from the country.

 

"Mommy?" Hyori turned around and saw her sleepy eleven-year-old daughter, also on the corridor.

 

"What are you doing outside without a coat, mommy? It’s cold."  

 

"And what are you doing, young lady?" Hyori pretended to be mad.

 

"I wanted to practice a little with the arrow before you woke up." she admitted-.

 

"I know you don’t lik…" Hyori hugged her daughter tightly and Seung-wan was so shocked she couldn’t hug back. Seung-wan was the most precious thing Hyori had. "Is there something wrong, mommy? Ever since we came back to the capital you hug me more than usual." 

 

"Everything is alright, do not worry. Shall we get ready to go to the palace? I think second Princess Ha Yi wanted to do some embroidery with you."

 

"Not again!" she complained.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Lee SooHyuk was waiting for them near some white bushes, outside HeeChul’s villa and trying to get unnoticed by the guards. Winter had finally come to Joseon and he was freezing out there. But the First Palace Lady insisted to be her the one in charge to tell the guards to change destination: it would be more convincing, she suggested.

 

"SooHyuk!" Taeyang was the first to hug and greet the Royal Secretary.

 

"We should balance our meetings a little, my friend. Or we don’t see each other in seven years or we see each other every week."

 

"We should." Taeyang agreed. "But we are not the owners of our destinies." 

 

"Indeed, my friend." and he proceeded to greet the rest.

 

"It is an honor to meet you again, lord Lee SooHyuk." Jonghyun, who had always admired the lord’s engineering skills was in fanboy mode.

 

"It is an honor to see you have taken care of my ship so diligently." 

 

"I also helped him!" Seungwon exclaimed.

 

"Yah! Keep your pants on and stop fanboying, kids!" Yuri scolded them.

 

"Let’s wait to her fangirl reaction when she sees the Thunder again…" Seungwon whispered to Jonghyun.

 

"I’ve listened." Seungwon gulped and Yuri was about to punch him, but, before anyone could react, lady Bo Ah was holding her sister’s fist with so much strength the Black Pearl couldn’t move. The scariest thing was that while Yuri (one of the best swordswoman in Joseon) was struggling to get free, lady Bo Ah’s face didn’t show any effort.

 

"Stop this nonsense, please. Stay here with lord SooHyuk while I inform the guards of the new orders."

 

"Why not me?" Yuri complained.

 

"You are a woman. It will be suspicious. The rest, with me."

 

Everyone was so afraid of the First Palace Lady that no one dared to contradict her orders, not even the Dragon. He had always respected his sister for a reason, and she was proving once again she was worthy of that respect. At first, the guards drew their swords and went out of the villa, to face the newcomers. But once they recognized the noble lady (and realized they were less than her companions), they relaxed.

 

"Sorry if we have offended you, great lady. But we were not expecting you so far from the capital." 

 

"It is only half a journey by horse. Do not get concerned, honorable guards." 

 

"May I ask… what is the reason behind your visit, milady?" 

 

"I have a letter from your mistress, lady Hyori." and she gave it to the one who seemed in charge. "It is the seal of the Kim Clan, I did not touch it. I swear." 

 

"Why not sending it with a messenger?" the guard seemed suspicious, and Jiyong got tense, ready for an imminent attack.

 

"Because lady Hyori fears it might get intercepted and she truly needs your help in this difficult moments. Read it, please."

 

The only guard who could read a little took the letter and informed the rest of its content.

 

"Lady Hyori had a premonitory dream about lady Seung-wan’s death, and begs for our help at the capital."

 

"And the villa?" another one asked. 

 

"Lady Hyori has hired some mercenaries. They are not as loyal as us and might steal something, but she cannot trust anyone. She orders us to part immediately." 

 

"I am sorry, with all the snow the road might be a bit trick… there is ice everywhere, so, let us help you to pack what you might need, guards. Shall I pass?" 

 

The guards let the First Palace Lady enter, followed by the Silver Dragons, who had to control the urge to laugh: “It has been too easy to convince them” Jiyong thought.

 

"Hey! You sound familiar to me!" once of the guards stopped Taemin.

 

"You must have confused me… because I do not remember you."

 

Everyone got tense, ready to attack.

 

"You are the skinny boy from my hometown. From the Islands of Incheon, right?" 

 

"I have never lived near the sea." Taemin blatantly lied, and everyone became tenser. "I am from Iksan, in the Jeolla Province." he said the first city that came to mind.

 

"And your southern accent?" the guard stopped and threatened Taemin with his sword.

 

"STOP NOW!" Bo Ah ordered. "They are some of the best mercenaries in Joseon. Of course, this boy would not have the southern accent! He can’t let anyone know where he is from, so he pretends! He has relatives to protect, so as you, guard."

 

"Forgive me, milady." and the guard bowed to Bo Ah, offering her his sword as a sign of respect.

 

"Now, I would need an to go back to the capital. You will accompany me, guards. Go and get your things… NOW!"

 

The men nodded and left the room as fast as they could: everyone knew how skilled the First Palace Lady was with the sword, so they didn’t dare to disobey a direct order from her. While they were gone, Bo Ah informed her brother:

 

"The last thing we knew about lord HeeChul was the night before the attack to the Queen. The eunuchs of the Palace have told me that he went to see the Queen, spent spent some time in the Royal Archives and then left quite nervous."

 

"Direction?" 

 

"Last time seen, at the entrance of the stables. It was the shift change, so no one saw anything. But I do not believe that… His squire has also disappeared." she took out a small piece of paper from her sleeves. "Those were the stables boys in charge that night, and their addresses at the capital. I cannot leave the palace, so, please, talk, bribe them or whatever. But get the information."

 

Jiyong grabbed the piece of paper and hid it quickly before the guards came back.

 

"Do you think they suspect something, noonim?" 

 

"Of course they do." 

 

"Take care, noonim." Seungri said before hugging his sister with strength because he knew what was coming.

 

"And please, do not shed lots of blood." Taeyang intervened.

 

Bo Ah didn’t answer and tried to erase the guilty expression from her face because she had to pretend she wasn't about to kill the guards.

 

It is you or my siblings, please, Gods, forgive me.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

HeeChul woke up in a daze.

 

He could feel the cold stone floor on his checks, but, at least, the cold temperatures seemed to make up the thirst and hunger he had while lying there. He was so weak he could not even dare to stand up, and every time he tried, the trauma of not having a hand to help, made him shiver in fear. The fear of infection and die in that cold and dark cell without being able to say farewell to his beloved ones. Someone opened the door, but he was so tired he wasn’t able to fight back to whoever was with him now.

 

"It is time for another bath, lord HeeChul…"

 

Park Dong-wook (the oldest son of the Right State Councilor and one of the three shadows plotting to kill the Crown Prince, lord Park Sung-woo) took HeeChul’s feet and started to push him outside the room. Desperate, the lord of Spies tried to catch one of the pointy rocks from the floor.

 

"With how weak you are, milord, not even with the biggest rock in this room you could hurt me." he laughed. "Do not make me angry!"

 

HeeChul tried to scream, but he had his mouth so covered that he could not pronounce any sound. Once again, he was driven to a different room inside that cold place, and, once again, a bath full of ice awaited him. Although HeeChul promised not to show weakness, he couldn’t help it but cry.

 

"Let’s see if today you remember…"

 

Park Dong-wook pull HeeChul’s hair and sank him inside the cold tub. Everytime HeeChul tried to get out, Dong-wook pushed him harder to the bottom, and, when he was about to pass away, the psychotic man let him breathe a little.

 

"WHERE DID YOU PUT THE DOCUMENTS, WHERE?!" And although HeeChul couldn’t control his tears, he didn’t say a word.

 

I hope you find the documents before I break down, my Queen.” was HeeChul’s last thought before losing consciousness.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Everyone believed that the First Palace Lady had suffered from a bad cold for a few days ago and that she decided to stay in her chambers, without being disturbed. After everything that had happened, everyone believed she needed some days off because she had to take care of the Palace's administration while the Queen had been recovering and the Dowager Queen had taken care of her daughter-in-law.

 

It seemed natural.

 

But not for Queen Mi-young, who knew Bo Ah better: even when she had her head burning from fever, she had gone to work. Honor and duty were just too important for her.

 

"Mother, how do I finish this?" Ha Yi interrupted her thoughts, showing an unfinished bird she was trying to sew.

 

"Mmmm…" she pretended she had been listening to her all the time. "Let’s see…" but her mind was elsewhere.

 

"Are you alright, eonnim?" Taeyeon asked. "You are quite pale…" 

 

"I have not slept properly… the scars hurt me a little when the weather gets too cold.  

 

"Then we should let you rest, do you want some warm tea in the garden, ladies?" Taeyeon suggested to their companions: ladies Hyori, Chaerin, Bo Ah, Ha Yi and Seung-wan.

 

"Could we get a book to read, please, First Princess Taeyeon?" Seung-wan asked.

 

"Of course. Let’s go." 

 

"Wait…" Mi-young tried to stand up, but the pain in her shoulder prevented her to do it. Bo Ah ran towards her and avoid her to fail.

 

"Mother!" Ha Yi screamed, approaching Mi-young.

 

"I am alright, princess. If it hurts a little it means I am getting better." she smiled at her, caressing her cute cheeks.

 

"Let’s go, princess Ha Yi. Your mother needs to rest and we are disturbing her." 

 

"First and Second Palace ladies, assist me while the First Princess goes with our guests. I do not want to disturb the maids, they had been caring of me for so long that the Palace was a disaster."

 

And it was true: everyone focused their energies in helping Queen Mi-young to recover. At first, the young Queen felt emotional about their loyalty, but then she realized they used it as an excuse to work in less complicated tasks, which could not be tolerated. So, ever since she returned fully to her charges, no-one in the Palace had a moment of rest. “If everything goes well and the harvest is good in spring, I will give the maids an extra salary.” she thought. Once everyone was outside, Mi-young started to interrogate Bo Ah.

 

"Has your cold something to do with the fact that Lee Hyori pretended to have lost her daughter a few days ago, First Palace Lady?" Mi-young spilled, while the two ladies helped her to undress.

 

"I went out to search for the young lady without a proper coat..." Bo Ah untangled the Queen’s complicated hairstyle, while Mi-young applied some balms on her face. "Maybe the low temperatures affected me…" but in reality, she was trying to avoid the subject.

 

"Do not dare to lie!"

 

Mi-young suddenly stopped and turned around, to face Bo Ah directly. It was the first time her First Palace Lady was lying to her, and it hurt a lot. One of the few she could trust… But not even the Queen’s sad expression could change Bo Ah’s determination. “I have to protect my siblings...”

 

"I am sorry that I do not sound too convincing, your highness, but it is the truth." 

 

"I guess I will have to tell the King you have been hiding something…" the Queen insisted.

 

"Your highness, please!" Chaerin intervened. "There is no need…"

 

But Mi-young did not listen to Second Lady, and looked straight into the eyes to her friend, the one who had been guiding and helping her without asking for something in return. The person the Queen trusted the most at court.

 

"You have never avoided your responsibilities because you were sick, maybe others have not noticed it… but I did, Bo Ah. Please, I have to know what was so urgent that you disappeared for two days. No secrets between us."  

 

"Your highness, please…" Chaerin insisted. "The First Palace Lady has made a vow, and she is an honest woman, do not force her."

 

Chaerin was right: not even once ever since Mi-young had met Bo Ah, the lady had broken a promise nor showed reasons to worry about her loyalty. So, although proud and stubborn, she listened.

 

"Might this secret of yours could kill someone from the Royal Family?" Mi-young questioned, not tearing her eyes away from Bo Ah.

 

"It is to prevent it, your highness." Bo Ah answered. "Then I will not insist. But... I am afraid you do not want to tell me because it is something the king must not know. Am I wrong?" 

 

"No, your highness. With everything that has happened with lord HeeChul and all, we do not want…" Chaerin commented.

 

"What happened to lord HeeChul!? He is north looking for my former bodyguard, Huang Zitao…"

 

The innocent look in the Queen’s eyes made both ladies realize she was unaware of the lord of the Spies kidnapping. “The King must not have told her because he was worried the Queen might not recover properly… Well done, lady Chaerin!” Bo Ah thought.

 

The Queen took Chaerin hands with strength and threatened her with a warning and terrifying expression. Desperate for help, she begged.

 

"Help me! First Palace Lady." "You have screwed it, you solve it." "First Palace Lady!

 

But there was no answer.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Lady Seung-wan!" Ha Yi ran behind her elder companion. "The mandarins will not run away if we walk slower!" 

 

"But we have to reach them before my mother changes her mind, Second Princess."

 

Seung-wan pouted, angry because the young princess had short legs and couldn’t follow her path, but when she saw her mother’s expression from the distance, she understood she had to wait for the princess: she was of an inferior rank, after all. Seung-wan used to train with Taemin, the best archer of the Silver Dragons, and she had developed her sight more than the average girl, so, even before Ha Yi arrived, she had already checked where the best mandarins were.

 

"Are you mad at me, lady Seung-wan?" Ha Yi asked once she reached the young lady, trying to control her fast breathing.

 

"I am sorry that I made you run too much, Second Princess."  

 

"Do not worry, I hardly ever do physical activity: all day with my ladies tasks."  

 

"Aren’t them like super boring, princess?"

 

"I enjoy painting and music a lot."

 

"I like music too! I play the Kayagum." 

 

"Really? I would like to learn."  

 

"Would you like if I teach you?" 

 

"Really?!" 

 

"But you must really help me with this thing of being a good young lady, Second Princess Ha Yi. I am quite terrible and my maids get angry." 

 

"You are not a bad lady… at least, you are not fake like the others." 

 

"How can you know that, Second Princess?" 

 

"You told me one of my embroideries was terrible." "Has no-one told you that before, your majesty?! 

 

"My family. Jeongwan and Yeon Jun make fun of me every night when we have dinner." 

 

"I am so happy I do not have siblings!" Ha Yi laughed and Seung-wan took off her fluffy and small purple coat and gave it to the princess.

 

"Why are you giving me this, lady Seung-wan?"

 

"That way we will be able to carry more mandarins. Take also my Jobawi, princess." And Seung-wan took her hat off too."

 

"But your hat is so beautiful, lady Kim. And you will catch a cold… " 

 

"Maybe, that is why we are picking as many mandarins as possible. My maids said they are good for health and make you prettier…" 

 

"I wish I was as pretty as you, lady Seung-wan."

 

The young lady did not know how to answer to that. Her mother had worn her about Second Princess Ha Yi: she got compared all the time with the beautiful women in her family. Her mother, Queen Sandara, Queen Mi-young and Princess Taeyeon were considered beauties, and the young princess struggled with the comments ever since she was born. “Chubby, weird nose, skin too oily.” In fact, they had become closer because one-day Seung-wan slapped another noble girl who was criticizing the young princess, and once the news arrived to Ha Yi, she begged her father to allow her to meet more often with Seung-wan.

 

She was truly concerned about the mean comments.

 

So, instead of saying something stupid and hurt her young friend’s feelings, Seung-wan started to pick up mandarins.

 

"My oldest maid used to be beautiful too, at least that’s what she says." she commented once she got an idea. But “I did not take care of my beauty when I was your age, milady”- she tried to imitate the voice of a really old and angry woman, and Ha Yi smiled, being careful with the mandarins-. “And I turned too ugly to get married”… But, do you know why she isn’t married? Because she is a bad woman, and, sooner or later, bad people turn ugly."

 

Seung-wan saw a quite pretty mandarin at the top of one of the branches, with what it seemed a worn on the inside. “The perfect example to make the princess happy again!” she thought.

 

"Can you hold all the mandarins for a second, please? I have seen some tasty ones a bit higher…"

 

"But do not take long, please!" Seung-wan jumped and got into the leafy tree. When she used to live with the Silver Dragons there were lots of natural mandarin trees in the island, but not a single one was as big and as beautiful.

 

"Hey! Go!" The Crown Prince was hiding inside the tree, picking the closest mandarins and reading a book peacefully.

 

"What are you doing here?" 

 

"And the honorifics, lady Seung-wan?" 

 

"Sorry, your highness."

 

"No, you are not sorry!"

 

"Could you pick that mandarin for me?

 

"Why should I if you keep avoiding the honorifics?"

 

Seung-wan pouted and Jeongwan had to control the urge to give her the damn mandarin she was asking for: her cold red cheeks, her slightly messy braid after she had taken off her hat and her cute pout… “Jeongwan! You are a shame for yourself!” he inertly screamed.

 

"It is for your sister, Crown Prince. Please?"

 

Jeongwan sighed and stood a little to pick the orange. From that perspective, Seung-wan saw what someday would be a perfect jawline, and Seung-wan had to avoid his intense eyesight.

 

"Oh! It seems you have learned some manners with my sister’s influence."

 

"Hey!"

 

"Never mind. Take that mandarin of yours."

 

He offered her the mandarin with his left hand, picking another one with the right one and eating it instantly, marking even more that jawline of the devil. Seung-wan felt her hands so sweaty that, when she was about to make contact with the Crown Prince’s hand, she immediately fell on the snowy floor.

 

"Lady Seung-wan!" Ha Yi shouted.

 

"THE MANDARINS!" Seung-wan screamed, and Ha Yi did not move, afraid they might fall and make her friend angry.

 

"How can you be so clumsy, lady Seung-wan?" Jeongwan jumped and hit the floor gracefully.

 

"I am sorry Crown Prince." 

 

"Seung-wan!" lady Hyori scolded her. "Be careful, my child!"

 

The ladies accompanying them saw the whole incident, and run towards the kids, quite worried about the stubborn girl. And Seung-wan, who did not want to trouble her mother again, tried to stand up, but she couldn’t.

 

"Hey! Are you alright, lady Seung-wan?" the Crown Prince asked. 

 

She was shivering, wet and massaging her ankle. She did not take her socks, but Jeongwan could see it was swelling. Carefully, he took of his big and warm coat and put it on the Seung-wan’s back.

 

"Do not get sick." he mumbled. 2Or my sister will get sad."

 

Hyori arrived a few seconds later, and hit Seung-wan softly in her head.

 

"YOU! WICKED CHILD! YOUR ANKLE NOW?! YOU HAVE BOTHERED THE CROWN PRINCE!" Hyori hit her again. "Bad, bad, bad girl!" and turned to the prince, bowing. "I am so sorry, please, forgive us."

 

"Do not worry lady Hyori. It was my fault."

Seung-wan was so surprised she couldn’t close , and Ha Yi chuckled a little: her expression was really funny.

 

"She was picking a special mandarin for the Second Princess, but I was hiding from my tutors in the tree and scared her. That’s why she fell." he explained.

 

"Then you should apologize to the young lady, Crown Prince." Princess Taeyeon, who had already reached the kids was also shocked at the Prince’s humble confession suggested.

 

"You are right, aunt."

 

"It hurts a lot, mommy…" Seung-wan decided to intervene because she wasn't ready to hear an apology from the Crown Prince, so embarrassing.

 

"Can you walk, lady Seung-wan?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"She has already tried and could not."Jeongwan informed. "I will carry her."

 

All the ladies looked at him, astonished by his answer, and Seung-wan blushed even more than she already was.

 

"NO!" they yelled at once.

 

"It was my fault. Besides, it is not appropriate for a lady to carry another one." 

 

"The soldiers can do it." Taeyeon suggested. 

 

"Mother said we should not disturb them now, when the security is higher than ever in the Palace!"

 

Taeyeon was about to talk back, but when she how worried her nephew seemed, using the same babo expression Seung-hyun had with Mi-young, the princess realized something… “That’s super super cute!” she giggled alone, which was quite creepy.

 

"Alright, alright… if it was your fault, then, you should assume the consequences and carry the young lady, so a doctoress can examine her swollen ankle."

 

"First Princess…"

 

But Seung-wan didn’t have the time to complain: the Prince was already in front of her, ready to offer a pick aback ride. Carefully, Hyori and Taeyeon helped the girl and put the coat better on her shoulders, so it would warm both kids. The girl was tiny and didn’t pose a problem for the Crown Prince to carry her. The problem was she couldn’t stop trembling.

 

"Are you alright, lady Seung-wan?"

 

"I am fine, do not worry Crown Prince."

 

They walked for a few minutes in silence, Taeyeon observing with loving eyes the cute scene in front of her, and already making plans to explain everything to Mi-young once they were the two of them alone. “She even buries her head in his shoulder!” and giggled once again, officially becoming a creepy aunt. What Taeyeon did not know was that the pain was making Seung-wan a bit sleepy (it was the best way her body had found to deal with it at that moment), but, before she definitely closed her eyes, she muttered to Jeongwan.

 

"I guess you are not a jerk, after all."

 

Jeongwan smiled.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

It was late at night when Taeyeon decided it was time to get to bed. She had tried to have dinner with Mi-young instead with her family, but, for some reason, the Queen had decided she had missed alcohol too much and was too dizzy for eating anything solid.

 

"You can leave now, lady Chaerin will finish brushing my hair."

 

Her maids nodded and left as quietly as possible, while Chaerin took the brush and started to work on the princess’ hair.

 

"Neither the Queen nor you have creative ideas to be able to speak with us alone." 

 

"I guessed you would understand."

 

Chaerin patiently took of the jewels from Taeyeon’s hair, both women sharing that nice moment of silence between them.  

 

"Why did eonnim want to talk with lady Bo Ah and you in private, Chaerin?"

 

"She had one of those moments of pain she does not want anyone to witness." was her immediate answer.

 

"You are such a bad liar, Chaerin." 

 

"I have not told anyone about how we were able to return. I can be a convincing one when I want." 

 

"Yes, that is true." 

 

"I will wait until I have the Queen’s permission to explain it, if you do not mind." 

 

"Sometimes is really hard not to love you, Chaerin." 

 

"I am the best, Taeyeon."

 

While Chaerin was redoing Taeyeon’s elaborated braid (the Second Princess was an incredible hairdresser), the princess stared at her paintings, which were still hanging and drying. They were subtly lighted by the candles, but, still, the blue paint was so intense that made Taeyeon imagine once again the Silver Dragon plowing through the blue ocean waters.

 

"Do you miss it?" Chaerin asked.

 

"As much as you miss it too."

 

"We were prisoners, but I have never felt so free in my life. "

 

"Me too." 

 

"How do you deal with it, Taeyeon?" "

 

The same way you do, Chaerin. By remembering that we are privileged women." 

 

"Sometimes I do not think we are." 

 

"At the end of the day, we will always have food and a warm home in winter. That is a privilege. And, as my beloved mother says, with privilege comes duty… and…"

 

"… and between duty and love, duty comes first." Chaerin ended the phrase.

 

"I guess I wasn’t the only one who paid attention to my mother when we were younger." 

 

"Will you always chose duty, Taeyeon?"

 

"Always." 

 

"Without doubts?" 

 

"Why do you ask?" Taeyeon started to get suspicious. 

 

"Nothing."

 

But, inside her head, Chaerin was struggling. On one hand, she really wanted to tell Taeyeon about the Silver Dragons: not only the princess could see Jiyong again, she could also see Seungri. They would find a way to sneak out of the castle and meet. On the other hand, she feared neither Taeyeon nor her were strong enough to say goodbye afterward. Chaerin knew: it didn’t matter what they might do to save the Crown, because the Silver Dragons had spent seven years as public enemies of the Joseon Dynasty, and they would always be. It would be a political suicide for the King to accept them back at court, especially the Dragon, who dared to beat up King Seung-hyun. Seungri and Jiyong would always be criminals, and Chaerin and Taeyeon would always be women of duty.

 

Chaerin had to control her tears, but the screams of Queen Mi-young and King Seung-hyun outside alarmed her, and her urge to cry faded.

 

"What was that?" Taeyeon asked.

 

Carefully, both opened one of the doors, not much, to witness one of the funniest scenes of the day.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"¡Seung-hyun! ¡Seung-hyun!"

 

The king suddenly awoke by the screams of his wife outside his chambers, some guards and maids advising the Queen to low her voice. He opened the door so fast that the Queen lost balance and fell on the floor, laughing at her own clumsiness.

 

"Hic! I’m… Hic! Such a… Hic! Disaster! Hic!"

 

"My Queen!" Seung-hyun approached her, running in his nightgown and offered his hand to Mi-young, so she could stood up.

 

"Don’t go my Queen with those puppy eyes, Seungie-hyun!" she stood up. "LIAAAAR!"

 

Mi-young kicked him in the chest and everyone froze, waiting for the King’s reaction.

 

"Are you drunk, my Queen?" 

 

"Me? Hic! Nooooo! Hic!" she lost balance once again. "Weeeeeell… maybe just a, Hic! Little… My head…"

 

"Are you alright?" 

 

"NO! YOU LIAAAAAR!" and she kept hitting Seung-hyun’s chest.

 

"Why did I lie?" 

 

"You know very well sir King, Hic!"

 

Mi-young rose her bottle of soju and started to drink once more, almost finishing it. Seung-hyun, both embarrassed and worried by her attitude, took it, and, when he saw she was about to cry, took her in his arms like she was a sack of potatoes. Everyone was surprised (even Taeyeon and Chaerin, who were watching and trying not to laugh) because no one expected the King to be agile enough to hold a person like that. He was the desk man, after all.

 

"I truly apologize for the Queen’s behavior and beg you not to worry more about her. She is upset about something and tried to erase it with alcohol. Do not worry, I will take care of her." 

 

"Ohlalala! The liar sir King… Hic! Will… Hic! Take care of me! OhhhlaHicla!"

 

Seung-hyun took Mi-young and tried to make her sit down, but she stood up and started to look for more alcohol through his chambers.

 

"Let’s drink together! To celebrate our sins!" 

 

"MI-YOUNG, SHUT UP!" he screamed with all the strength he could.

 

Mi-young froze and abruptly sat on the floor, looking perplexed and about to cry out loud. Scared that he might have scared her too much, immediately sat next to his wife, a small handkerchief ready for her.

 

"Why did you drink, my Queen?" 

 

"Because everyone gets hurt… and… and... it is all my fault."

 

Mi-young couldn’t control her tears any longer and started to cry, loudly, like a little kid when he is mad with his parents.

 

"No, no, no… it is not your fault." and Seung-hyun hugged her, trying to comfort her while she shed her tears.

 

"Your wife and your consort were killed so I could become Queen, then your sister was kidnapped…" 

 

"But those decisions were not yours, the Emperor used you to complete his plans." 

 

"But, HeeChul… IT IS MY FAULT! AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME!" 

 

"Shhhh, it is alright, is alright…"

 

Seung-hyun hold her for a while, caressing her back and letting her cry on his chest. His silk nightgown was a complete disaster and he was starting to cramps in his legs, but it didn’t matter: he was not going to disappoint her again. Yes, Seung-hyun decided not to tell a word about lord HeeChul’s disappearance, but it was because he was worried Mi-young would get worst. And he just couldn’t lose her. It had been a selfish decision, but he just could not see Mi-young hurt.

 

"I am so sorry, my Queen. I should have told you." 

 

YES! AND IT IS MY FAULT! If I hadn't investigated..." she cried even louder. 

 

"As Queen, Mi-young, you’ll have to make difficult decisions. Besides, HeeChul offered you his loyalty and help to find the culprits. He is a grown man.

"But if I hadn’t insisted… Hic!" 

 

"I have also made people suffer from my decisions. My former best friend, Kwon Jiyong. When I did not forgive his father’s life… I lost him forever. And forever he will hate me for my decision."

 

"You had no choice. Hic!" she stopped crying, because, although drunk, Mi-young could sense the pain in her husband’s words.

 

"As you hadn’t too, my Queen. Ruling a country is about making tough decisions. Some will be right, some terribly wrong. The most important are how you face your mistakes and try to solve them." 

 

"I want HeeChul back…" and she cried once again.

 

"Then I will help you to find him. We will solve this problem together, I promise." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Yes. But tomorrow morning, you need to sleep and recover."

 

"Noooo! I am tipsy and really really !"

 

Seung-hyun looked at her in shock, slightly blushed. “You have had a wife and a concubine, you shouldn’t feel embarrassed about that” he thought. “Besides, she is drunk, you should not get embarrassed because you won’t do anything to a drunken woman.

 

"Of course, c’mon wife, let’s go to sleep and tomorrow morning we’ll take care of that of yours."

 

He gave her a goodnight kiss on the front, and accompanied her to the mattress to sleep. In less than a few seconds, Mi-young was peacefully sleeping.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Jun-hoe oved how his house was one of the few at Hanseong which shared one of the walls with the great defensive wall that circled the whole capital. It made his summers warmer and his winters tolerable when his father covered their inner wall with wool cloths. But almost two months have passed since father had left, and since he was still too short, he couldn’t do it all on her own. Father had told him and his older brother (a soldier protecting the city, their biggest pride, and source of income) to take care of their siblings, because he had to do an important secret mission for his master, lord HeeChul. But Jun-hoe did not believe he was coming back: every time he had to leave them, he used to leave some kind of message. That time, he had left without any news.

 

"Does Koo Yon San live here, kid?"

 

Jun-hoe was dusting off the huge mattress they used to sleep and a beautiful dark-skinned woman, whose beauty shined even though she was dressed as a man, asked. She seemed so fierce and beautiful that Jun-hoe blushed.

 

"Milady, you should not talk to the boy so roughly, he might get scared." 

 

"Of course, Jinwoo."

 

The man who was escorting the noble lady was one of the most handsome Jun-hoe had ever seen. His late mother used to say he was the most handsome of his five sons, but, that day, Jun-hoe had found his peer.

 

"See? He is about to cry."

 

The noble lady rolled her eyes and sat comfortably on the bench outside Jun-hoe’s house. She had such an inappropriate attitude for a lady of a noble household, but the young boy found it fascinating.

 

"How could I help you, noble lady?" and he bowed. Manners were important. 

 

"No need for that!" the lady suddenly kneel and crouch in front of the boy with ease, as if she was used to extreme physical activities, and Jun-hoe blushed even more. His checks the color of his shirt.

 

"We would like to talk with your father, young boy." the demanded. "Could you tell us if he is at home?"

 

"Father is on a mission for his master." Jun-hoe informed.

 

They seemed deceived at the news, and, in Jun-hoe’s eyes, quite lost about what they should do next. But, honestly, it wasn’t hisproblem.

 

"Has he left some kind of message or something?" the asked.

 

"I am afraid he has not, milord." 

 

"I am not a lord, young boy. You can call me Jinwoo."

 

"Why are you looking for him?" he did not care if the was a noble or not, only the reason behind their questions.

 

"We are friends of lord HeeChul, and he is missing… do you know, right?" the noble lady said, trying to be kind to him.

 

"Yes." he nodded.

 

"We wanted to know if he could help us to find him. Would you mind if we come from time to time to see if your father returns?"

 

They seemed genuine good people, but, father always told him not to trust strangers, so he did the best she could.

 

"I do not want you to trouble. Our house is far from the noble houses. If father comes, I will tell him you have come. How could my father contact you, noble lady?"

 

Yuri grinned because that boy was quite evasive and she liked that in a person. So, instead of threatening Jun-hoe (his father would never trust someone who had scared his son), she gave him a small gold ring. The father was missing and the household seemed quite poor, so maybe the boy would sell it, but, anyhow, she tried to trust him.

 

"If your father comes, tell him to go to lord HeeChul’s villa in the city and give that to one of the guards. They will inform his wife, lady Hyori, and she will know what to do."

 

Although frustrated for the lack of success, after the whole day trying to find this house and not a single moment of rest since they had arrived to Joseon, Yuri and Jinwoo left Jun-hoe, hoping for the best behind.

 

"Should we have someone guarding the house?" Jinwoo asked.

 

"Probably, but it is quite risky since our faces are everywhere and the bounty for our heads is quite high. We should contact Hyori and ask her to put one of her spies here."

 

Jun-hoe continued his tasks as if the mysterious incident didn’t happen. Since he was the second eldest and there was no woman in the household, he had to do those feminine tasks. Which didn’t matter because usually the women of the neighborhood were all smiles with him: he was a quite handsome boy and knew how to use his tricks. He cleaned the whole house, warmed the mattress with ashes and when his older brother came back from work and he promised to take care of their siblings, he went to buy what was needed for dinner.

On his way home, he went to the closest courier service, waiting for some kind of message of his father. The visit of those two mysterious nobles had alarmed Jun-hoe. He told the public worker there all the name combinations he could remember, but none of them worked. Finally, he decided to use the nickname father used to call him.

 

"Sassy baby Jun-hoe."

 

The man gave Koo Jun-hoe a strange wooden cryptex.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

It killed Seung-hyun, to leave his lovely wife alone. But they had awoken quite late... for... reasons... and the Chinese ambassador was waiting for them, and by the urge the eunuchs he wasn’t quite happy with the delay.

 

"I understand, my King." and she kissed him softly, covering her body with the blanket, he smirked.

 

"I am so sorry, my Queen." 

 

"I am so happy right now that I cannot be sad, my King." 

 

"You should change and go to your chambers through our secret passage, my Queen. I do not want you to feel more embarrassed." 

 

"Thank you for remembering me what happened last night! I thought your whole show off let’s take care of Queen Mi-young’s was to make me forget." 

 

"Sooner or later you will have to face the consequences of your terrible decision yesterday. Next time you drink, my Queen, let me teach you some tricks." he joked. 

 

"Who says there will be a next time?!" and with the excitement the blanket moved a little, exposing her shoulder and making Seung-hyun bit his lips to control himself.

 

"My head hurts…"

 

Since she seemed quite in pain, Seung-hyun took another blanket, covered her carefully with it and gave her a kiss on the front, as if it was some kind of remedy for her hangover.

 

"Then take a hangover soup and ginseng tea for breakfast, my Queen." 

 

"Then I would have to admit my mistake in front of my maids and I don’t think I am ready for that-" she kissed him again.

 

"Now, go! The ambassador awaits." 

 

"Are you sure you can carry everything back to your chambers, my Queen?" 

 

"Yes, I am." 

 

"And…" he was cautious with this one. "Are you hurt or something?"

 

Mi-young blushed and to hide her embarrassment, she hugged Seung-hyun.

 

"I am okay, do not worry and hurry!"

 

Mi-young took all her things and, with one a necklace she had hidden between her clothes. It was a small golden chain, with a glass bead which looked like a small sword. Centuries ago, when the Joseon Dynasty took power, the architects of King Taejong, the bloodthirsty, ordered to construct a secret passage to communicate the chambers of the Queen and the King. At first, only he knew the exact position of the corridor (because he was afraid his own wife would kill him in his sleep and he had killed the architects who built them) and passed the secret to his son. It was one of the few well-kept secrets of the dynasty, and, sometimes, the Kings shared it with their wives. Mi-young took the necklace, and, in a small and tiny place that not even the most gossipy eunuch could have found, she introduced the glass bead inside. Instantly, one of the walls moved slightly, and she disappeared through it before the passage closed again.

 

When his wife was definitely out of his sight, Seung-hyun let his servants enter and got ready for the meeting. It did not take long, because he wasn’t in the mood to dress with opulence that day: the Chinese emperor loved to prove he was rich and powerful, so even his ambassadors were overly dressed. And Seung-hyun wanted to become the exact opposite to the Emperor.

 

He sat on his throne, surrounded by his scholars and the whole State Council. His secretaries, including Lee Soo Hyuk, were ready to start writing the conversation they were about to have. A group of Chinese escorts followed the ambassador, who greeted him according to the protocols, but not willingly. The situation had been tense between them ever since Seung-hyun decided to marry Mi-young without before the ambassador could take her away from the court.

 

"We should wait the Dowager Queen, the Queen and the First Princess, milord." Seung-hyun suggested.

 

"I thought women were not supposed to be present in public affairs, your highness." the ambassador affirmed.

 

"You supposed right, but, I thought you would like to greet your former princess, milord." 

 

"Queen Mi-young has rejected my invitations for tea several times, your highness." 

 

"She can be a stubborn woman, but I do not wish she loses contact with her roots and family, milord. And she has informed me she would gladly meet you today for a talk. We have heard the Empress is expecting a new child, and we would like to transmit our best wishes to her and her unborn baby."

 

"Of course, your highness." 

 

"But… I suppose you are not here because of our good tea. Why did you ask for a hearing today?" Seung-hyun’s spies have already heard some rumors about the Emperor’s plans.

 

"Because, I have an important proposition from the Emperor. That would finally end the discord between our kingdoms." 

 

"Tell me more, milord." the King pretended to seem surprised.

 

"The Emperor’s brother would like to formally ask for the First Princess of Joseon, Choi Taeyeon, hand in marriage." 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

The warm of a small finger pressing his cheek awoke HeeChul. Surprisingly, he wasn’t in his cold cell and the smell of warm soup made him wake up quickly.

 

"I am so sorry for what my hyungnim did to you, lord HeeChul."

 

The youngest son of lord Park Sung-woo, Park Chanyeol, was sitting in a coffin next to him, holding his curious young son, who was also called Chanyeol. The noble man smiled at HeeChul, but could see in his eyes that his intentions weren’t as altruistic as they seemed.

 

"Please, eat a little, milord."

 

He showed a warm soup on the table, ready for him. And although HeeChul was famished, he didn’t dare to try it. He was the lord of spies and knew some of the most efficient poisons could not be noticed if they were mixed with food.

 

"Son, please, take a little of lord HeeChul’s soup and tell me if it’s too hot." 

 

"Yes, abeonim."

 

The little boy took the spoon and tasted the soup. The lack of symptoms (and the fact that he dared to give his own son that dish) made HeeChul trust him and ate it in seconds. It felt so good he almost shed a tear of pleasure, but he had to control himself.

 

"How old is your son?" 

 

"Almost three." he said proudly.

 

"I also have a daughter, a bit older." 

 

"Yes, I saw her yesterday at Court playing with the Crown Prince." 

 

"Really?" HeeChul smiled.

 

"She got hurt and the Crown Prince was carrying her to the guest’s chambers."

 

"How hurt?" 

 

"A swollen ankle, nothing to worry about." 

 

"Thank the Gods!" he sighed in relieve.

 

"Rumors say the Crown Prince has a crush on her. You are very lucky, lord HeeChul." 

 

"They are too young for anything. Do not take my daughter away from me sooner than expected."

 

Park Chanyeol had felt pity of lord HeeChul, a man that maybe wasn’t the best fighter and wasn’t blessed with physical strength, but was so mentally strong that the lord felt admiration. Of course, lord HeeChul was going to be their prisoner until he wanted to speak, but, he had to be alive if they wanted to get the information. Lord HeeChul had found his father’s seal as the one who authorized the budget changes for the shepherds seven years ago and had hidden the original documents somewhere.

 

"It should have been your daughter the one suffering the tortures, milord." Chanyeol informed.

 

HeeChul froze for a second, and tried to find some kind of weapon inside the room, but without any luck. For that reason, he did what he could: he pushed lord Chanyeol on the floor, and slapped him, as strongly as he could. The Park did not punch back.

 

"Daddy!" the little boy screamed.

 

Some guards entered immediately inside the chamber, took lord HeeChul and punched him so strongly on his stomach that he coughed blood.

 

"It is alright. He is a caring father, after all. Leave us alone, he knows he cannot escape."

 

HeeChul lied on the floor again, unable to move. Park Chanyeol took the opportunity to approach the lord of spies and whisper, so his little boy couldn’t hear a word:

 

"My brother is a sociopath who enjoys others' suffering. He wanted to torture and your daughter to make you speak." and HeeChul cried in silence.

 

"I convinced my father and we kidnapped you instead. You should thank me." 

 

"What do you want?" 

 

"I want you to send a message to your daughter, a hidden one.

 

"Which message?" 

 

"I do not know. It is up to you. After all, you are the lord of spies. I want you to send her a hidden clue about your current position, so you can be rescued."

 

"What do you want in return?"

 

"My brother should not be the new Chief of my clan. He loves war and torture too much to be a nice leader. You are the lord of spies and could plan his death as a tragic accident, and no one would ever be able to find clues."

 

"How do you know I will help you after you set me free?" 

 

"Because if my brother doesn’t die, I will convince my father to take your daughter and torture her until you cannot recognize her any longer. If you refuse, we will also take her. You have no choice, milord."

 

HeeChul’s instincts told him it was a trap, but, lord Chanyeol was right: he had no choice if he wanted to save his daughter. “Maybe with the message I could warn Hyori and she will have time to put Seung-wan in a save place.” After thinking a few seconds, HeeChul nodded and lord Chanyeol grinned while he helped him to incorporate.

 

"Son, please, tell the guards to bring something to write."

 

The small kid nodded and did as his father commanded. Meanwhile, Chanyeol sat next to lord HeeChul, who was so weak he wasn’t able to hold a brush to write.

 

"So… what are you going to write, milord?

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Taeyeon and Mi-young got ready in absolute silence, but the Taeyeon had to do a terrible effort to control the need to make fun of her friend. She was so embarrassed that she was not even able to give orders to her maids when they were tightening too much her clothes.

 

"So…" 

 

"So… what?" Mi-young was in a defensive mode, quite tense and nervous.

 

"What happened last night?" Taeyeon couldn't hide her smile.

 

The maids who were finishing the final jewelry touches (they were about to greet the Chinese ambassador, they needed to be perfectly dressed, and, because of Seung-hyun’s intention to take care of Mi-young’s , they were late) giggled a little and the eunuch slightly opened the door to listen to their conversation. Mi-young noticed the situation and, although dead of embarrassment for her drunken attitude yesterday, she had to take revenge on Seung-hyun.

 

After all, she drunk as if there was no tomorrow because of him and his awful idea of let’s protect Mi-young from the bad things in this world even though it won’t be necessary because she is a strong woman.

 

"I think I am not allowed to say something like this, but, since we are surrounded by loyal and discreet people" she marked a lot the last words"… I will tell you."

 

The maids stopped their tasks for a few seconds and the eunuch opened a bit more the door, some of the younger ones with their cheeks on fire.

 

"If our highness, the King, keeps this vigorous habit of not waking up soon, you can expect news of a new nephew before the year ends." 

 

"Of course you can, sister." a low voice said.

 

Everyone jumped a little when they heard the King’s deep voice and saw him resting his back on one of the columns.

 

"Your highness!" everyone in the room shrilled.

 

"What are you doing here, my King?" Mi-young asked.

 

"I do not know how you look so surprised if a few hours ago you used the same passage." 

 

"It is true, my King." 

 

"What brings you here, orabeoni?" Taeyeon felt curiosity. 

 

"Leave us alone, I wish to speak with my family in private."

 

Confused, Mi-young offered the King the nicest seat of her living area, and sat close to Taeyeon, both holding hands, quite scared by Seung-hyun’s sad expression.

 

"The Chinese ambassador wishes to drink some warm tea outside this afternoon, my Queen." 

 

"Have you already met him?" Mi-young asked, pissed.

 

"I am so sorry, but he was getting too impatient." 

 

"What did he say, my King?"

 

Seung-hyun moved slightly and took Taeyeon’s hands, not leaving her eyesight. He wished he had never had to give her sister again this bad news; it was incredibly painful the first time, he could not imagine how sad she would feel after the second time.

 

"The Emperor’s brother has asked once more your hand in marriage, Taeyeon." 

 

"What did you say?"

 

Seung-hyun didn’t expect that expressionless reaction from Taeyeon, because the first time she had heard the news of her betrothal, she had cried for a whole week, not wanting to leave her chambers for almost a whole month. It made him both sad and proud. Sad because he knew how dangerous and lonely the Forbidden City was, and proud because Taeyeon had matured and become an extraordinary strong woman. Although she would always be clumsy and childish, his young sister had changed so much since she had come back home, showing the attitude a good leader should have. Little was left of that spoiled and fragile princess she used to be.

 

"That I was honored but asked for a day to truly reflect about it because it was a really important decision for the future of our nations. But, I just wanted to ask you first, Taeyeon."

 

"Last time you didn’t ask for my opinion." she remembered.

 

"Last time I made quite bad choices, forgive your stubborn orabeoni, please." 

 

"I had never had something to forget." Taeyeon hugged her brother tightly, looking for some comfort. "What would be the consequences of a no, orabeoni? War?" 

 

"I do not know... The Emperor needs a quiet front if he wants to settle the Qing Dynasty. So maybe he will not wish war..." he hesitated to continue.

 

"But… there is always something, orabeoni." 

 

"We have fewer and fewer allies at the Chinese Court..."

 

"And if we lose them all, the Emperor will invade us at his first chance, am I wrong, orabeoni?- Taeyeon continued, Seung-hyun nodded.

 

"So, you need me, to defend Joseon against invasions." 

 

"I can find another way… " 

 

"But the Emperor will never forgive us for that mockery." she took a long breath. "Alright, tell him I will gladly become the Emperor’s sister-in-law."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"How could you be so reckless?!" the shadow kept beating up lord Park Sung-woo.

 

"How could you leave behind a written register?!" 

 

"Because I had no choice if I wanted to act fast!" 

 

"RECKLESS, RECKLESS, RECKLESS!"

 

The other shadow observed the scene, frightened and petrified because she wasn’t able to help. She knew her friend had a decent reputation among the best fighters in Joseon, but it scared her how sadistic the other shadow could be. And was afraid that if she disobeyed one of her direct orders, she might suffer lord Park Sung-woo’s fate.

 

For that reason, she remained silent, not a single action to help his ally for years.

 

"He must give us the documents! And I do not care if her daughter dies in the process! The Silver Dragons are here and have already spoken with Koo Yon San’s son, Koo Jun-hoe." 

 

"Who is Koo Yon San?" the second shadow asked.

 

"He is lord HeeChul’s squire, who disappeared just a few minutes before this stupid lord" the shadow kicked lord Sung-wo in the shin "decided to kidnap him. He knew we were coming for him, and decided to protect the information with his life." 

 

"Then we should kill him." 

 

"My sons know about your existence!- Park Seung-wan interrupted." 

 

"I know they know. Shut up useless man!" and he was kicked in the shin once more.

 

"That is why I have come with a plan." 

 

"And what is it?" the second shadow intervened. 

 

"Koo Yon San has children, right? He would leave his shelter if they tragically die in an accident, knowing it was us who killed them and, in his seek of revenge, contact the Silver Dragons." 

 

"Is it necessary to kill more children?" 

 

Empires have always been built shedding the blood of the innocent."

 

The second shadow disagreed but since she didn’t have a better plan, accepted the intentions of the first shadow. Although she was scared, because… “What if someday the blood of the innocent gets avenged?

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 

 

 

 

Only lady Chaerin was allowed inside the First Princess’ chambers that night. Her maids waited faithfully outside the doors, knowing their princess needed as much comfort as possible and thankful because of her sacrifice. The formal proposal had already been answered, and with princess Taeyeon’s acceptance, it seemed a strong and peaceful alliance between the Chinese Empire and the Kingdom of Joseon would be created. Thousands of families, including the ones of the maids waiting outside in the cold, would sleep peacefully that night.

 

"Could you just tell them to leave? Hic!" Taeyeon asked when her hiccups let her. She could not control it, since it was a response to her tears.

 

"Shhhh, is alright, Taeyeon." 

 

Chaerin was holding Taeyeon like a baby, rocking her slowly. But tears kept flowing, and Taeyeon got even sadder.

 

"Please! Hic! It kills me to know they are outside when it is freezing."

 

Chaerin sighted and went outside to talk with the maids. After a few exchanges and begging, they finally agreed to leave them for the night, but promising to not awaken the princess early the following day: she had merited the right to have some intimacy. Meanwhile, Taeyeon took one of the paintings of the sea she had made a few days ago and slowly, started to cut it in small pieces, with an expressionless face.

 

"TAEYEON! What are you doing?"

 

Chaerin took her friend’s hands and took away the painting she was destroying. At first, Taeyeon didn’t react, but, when she realized what she had just made, she started to cry again.

 

"Why did you accept to marry?" 

 

"Which are my options, Chaerin? I am in love with a traitor! I will never be able to be with him! At least, marrying the Chinese Prince would help Joseon to reach a solid and true peace."

 

"You are really brave Taeyeon." was all the Second Palace Lady was able to say. 

 

"I always chose duty, Chaerin. You know…" she lied on the floor. "I wish that, at least, Jiyong and I would have been able to say goodbye properly…"

And although Chaerin had promised everyone not to tell a thing to princess Taeyeon, she could not keep the secret anymore. It was too painful, to see her friend like that…

 

"Taeyeon, there is something you must know."

 

 

______________________________

 

After the news that TOP seems to recover little by little, I decided to finish this fanfic. Yes, TOP has made really bad choices, but he is trying to fix his mistakes. So, I am happy. 

I am sorry because I haven't answered the messages, I will do it as soon as I can.