Return to Joseon.

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 19. Return to Joseon.

 

The air was pregnant with the smell of sand and the waves were rippling strongly against the cliffs. Seungri fastened his maneuvers and the Silver Dragon moved smoothly through the choppy waters. It was a difficult task, since not all the Silver Dragons were present to steer the ship to calm waters, but Seungri was an experienced sailor. He was able to hide the Silver Dragon inside a small cave, not far from the coast of Busan, without getting noticed by the Joseon Navy. They landed in an area of really difficult access, so the Navy didn’t patrol there, at the risk of destroying the Joseon ships. 

 

"Tell the villagers you need some horses, Young Bae." Jiyong ordered to his best friend. "But after that, you go back home."

 

"For the millionth time, Jiyong!" he yelled at him. "It is my choice, so I will help you to save that young Crown Prince. As a father, I cannot let a child die."

 

"But… your children… it is dangerous."

 

"Both my wife and my eldest understand the risks and accept them, Jiyong. So, I will buy the horses and come with you."

 

"But…"

 

"LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS, ORABEONI!" Yuri yelled. "Taeyang is a grown man."

 

"Black Pearl is right, Dragon." the always loyal Kang SeungYoon suggested. "Not everyone is here, and we need as many men as possible."

 

Since the mission was a risky one and was against what the Silver Dragons used to defend: attack the Joseon crown, Jiyong did not ask all his crew to come with him. Onew, Key and Song MinHo decided to stay at Oeyendo Island, taking care of the others while it was winter. He would feel guilty if his crew suffered any harm because he was doing a fool action for love.

 

"I could have come alone, you know."

 

"I decided to become a Silver Dragon because my life had lost its purpose." TaeHyun added. "Now it has one: protect innocent lives."

 

"And I think our King is controlling the nobles’ abuses." Choi MinHo. "I want to protect the man who can stop the injustices of the past."

 

"You are all soooo overdramatic." Black Pearl added, laughing for to their deep reasons. "Let’s go to Hanseong and finish this business fast."

 

Young Bae left towards the village, accompanied by Lee SeungHoon: they had this charming face that would make everyone trust him, so, as usual; they were the one in charge of talking with people. That way, when the authorities asked for someone suspicious, nobody ever mentioned Taeyang or SeungHoon. While they were waiting, the Silver Dragons secured their ship, and Jiyong wrote a letter.

 

"What is this letter for?" Yuri asked.

 

"I am going to ask our sister to help us."

 

"Bo Ah?! She’s too loyal to the Royal Family. She will never help us."

 

"If lord HeeChul helps us, she will. After all, sister stayed because she promised Sandara to take care of her kid."

 

"…"

 

Yuri had always understood her older sister’s reasons to stay at court and do not come with them: Sandara Park was her best friend, after all. So, although it was painful to say goodbye, Bo Ah stayed. And Yuri was resentful towards her sister: she also needed her and her council. Yuri sighed and let her brother write his letter: they needed as many help as possible if they wanted to enter inside the capital without getting noticed.

 

"Please, orabeoni, do not call her. Call lord HeeChul or Hyori" Yuri begged.

 

"Why?"

 

"I do not wish to see our eldest sister."

 

"Yuri…" Jiyong sighed and put his hand on her shoulder, to comfort her. "Do no act as you did with princess Taeyeon, please."

 

"Act?"

 

"You acted as if you didn’t care for the princess for months, and lost a precious time with her. It has been seven years and you know sister had reasons to stay, please, be less proud and arrogant."

 

Yuri avoided the subject and decided to ignore her brother, using the need to work on the ship as an excuse. Jiyong kept writing his letter, but he respected his sister’s wish: he decided to send the letter to lord HeeChul instead. A few hours later, Taeyang and SeungHoon came back with four horses. They were carrying some unexpected wood boards.

 

"I also bought a covered palanquin."

 

"Why?" Jiyong asked.

 

"Because it will be suspicious if we are stopped by the authorities and there is a woman dressed as a man is with us. You’ll be inside, Black Pearl, and we will pretend we are your ."

 

Everyone thought it was a good idea, but Yuri’s face turned red in anger.

 

"Seven years had passed since the last time I rode one of those! I will not!"

 

"I also bought a decent hanbok, just in case…" SeungHoon giggled, happy to see Yuri pissed.

 

"Orabeoni!"

 

"It is reasonable, Yuri."

 

She sighted and with rage, took the hanbok and ran towards some rocks, to change her clothes.

 

"I will only wear this if you carry my palanquin, SeungHoon."

 

"No way! Dragon!"

 

"You have annoyed my sister, you must pay the consequences. Bring me the pigeon, please."

 

Although pissed because he had to carry Yuri all the way through, SeungHoon obeyed and took the trained pigeon from his cage. Carefully, Jiyong hide his small letter and with a few sweets, the bird was ready to fly.

 

"I hope you can find lord HeeChul’s house, little thing. Please, help us."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Almost a month had passed since Mi-young was confined inside her chambers, and she was starting to get frustrated. The walls were closing in, and her frustration increased.

 

"I do want to get out of here!- she complained while her maids were helping her to bath, her first one after a month."

 

"The doctors say you must stay here until you recover your strength. You lost too much blood, sister." Taeyeon said.

 

"It is still weird that we are finally sisters, First Princess." Mi-young let the maid wash her hair.

 

"We had dreamt about it for years. But now, it is finally real."

 

Once the Queen was properly dressed and her hair brushed, Taeyeon insisted and both girls were left alone, with some hot soups to warm their bodies: the cold weather was coming, and the first frosts had arrived.

 

"I will never get used to calling you by your title, Mi-young."

 

"We must now: it is the protocol. But only when we are surrounded by others. Do not worry, I am not that cocky about being the Queen."

 

"Not even after my brother confessed his love for you in front of all the Gyeongbokgung’s Court?"

 

"Taeyeon!"

 

Mi-young blushed and suddenly, the soup tasted better than ever. She would not let Taeyeon mock her, not when she was still recovering. But, indeed, that moment she could not remember because of her wounds, was the gossip everyone talked about in the palace. And every time the maids saw the king, so serious and handsome as ever, to Mi-young’s dismay, they gazed at him with deep admiration.

 

"Even the poets are writing about that moment! You will be remembered as one of the most beloved Queens in history. I am sure."

 

"Let’s finish our food and go to bed. If I have to be awake inside this room, I’d rather sleep. Will you stay here tonight?"

 

"My brother is a decent man, you know, right?" she seemed a bit annoyed because almost every day Taeyeon felt the need to sleep in Mi-young’s chambers because Mi-young begged her. "He has never forced a woman to do anything she did not want to. Not even Queen Sandara when there was need of a male heir."

 

"Stop here with your dirty mind, princess Taeyeon! I ask you to stay here with me because I am afraid I’ll relapse again."

 

Sometimes, at night, Mi-young suffered from pain. Doctors said it was normal and a good sign: her wounds were healing, it was normal to feel pain. But, it scared Mi-young, since the pain could be unbearable sometimes and didn't want to sleep alone. She needed comfort in those moments.

 

"Ask your maids to stay inside, then!"

 

"I am the Queen of Joseon. They cannot see me scared and weak."

 

"I must accept it is a good point, Mi-young. Sorry if I offended you."

 

"I know you do not sleep well, Taeyeon. But I cannot ask your mother or your brother to take care of me every day: they need to rule the country while I am recovering. Do you understand?"

 

Taeyeon nodded, and both friends ate in silence, looking at each other awkwardly: Mi-young did not expect Taeyeon to have such a dirty mind, and Taeyeon did not expect to say a comment like that. Once they were both in bed, to break the uncomfortable silence, Mi-young spoke once more.

 

"I thought the pirates did nothing to you, Taeyeon. I guess you’ve got infected by their rudeness." Mi-young joked.

 

"That is not true!"

 

"Reeelaax Taeyeon, relax… not that I have offended you… just the dirty and unreliable Silver Dragons."

 

"They were a bit dirty, I must admit. But… unreliable… the unreliable ones stay here, at the Palace, pretending to be kind to us."

 

"They kidnapped you, Taeyeon… How can you defend them?!"

 

Mi-young woke up immediately and carefully lighted a candle. She was gaping, unable to believe Taeyeon’s words. “Maybe she is suffering some kind of trauma and that is why she defends them” Mi-young thought.

 

"Because we were wrong all this time, Mi-young."

 

Mi-young frowned her forehead, and Taeyeon closed her eyes for a second. Almost two months had passed since she abandoned Oeyendo Island, and, although she had answered some questions about the Silver Dragons to the authorities (avoiding revealing where they were) and to her family, she hadn’t said the truth to anyone.

 

But it was Mi-young, her best friend for years: she had the right to know. Slightly, the princess took a deep breath, and explained everything: why she was kidnapped, the real plan behind it, how lord HeeChul and lord SooHyuk helped them and the Crown. To Mi-young, everything was unbelievable, but, the more questions she asked and the more answers Taeyeon gave her, it seemed more plausible.

 

"We must tell the king and everyone! I know their methods are questionable, but, their cause is fair."

 

"We cannot." Taeyeon affirmed. "Because, although they might have had honorable reasons: all the Silver Dragons had committed serious crimes against the Crown and the laws of Joseon. If Seung-hyun wants to be fair… he… he…" Taeyeon could not finish her sentence, because it scared him.

 

"He must punish them according to their crimes." Mi-young ended it. "If he doesn’t condemn to death the men who had killed members of his Navy, the soldiers might change their loyalty towards a new leader."

 

Taeyeon had to wipe her tears, because, finally, she accepted reality. When she went home the first time, something inside her said that it might be possible, someday, to be with Jiyong. But, he will be a fugitive all his life, no matter how. And, that meant there was no possibility for them to be together. Never.

 

"Forgive me, Taeyeon. I will not ask you again about it."

 

Mi-young knew something was troubling Taeyeon’s mind, but, she let her friend handle her feelings in silence until the candle was consumed.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"STUPID AND RECKLESS TRAITOR!" one of the shadows screamed to Park Sung-woo. "How dare you to kidnap the lord of spies?! He has too many contacts?! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!"

 

The shadow was so mad that lord Sung-woo feared for his life. He had known that person for years, and knew he was able to do terrible things, without anyone noticing it.

 

"Relax! It is done… what can we do?"

 

"KILL HIM TODAY OR I WILL DO IT MYSELF!"

 

"We cannot!" one of the shadows screamed, the most rational and analytic. "Everyone is looking for lord HeeChul, and when the Silver Dragons find out what happened I am sure they will put his rescue as a priority, and won’t try to find us for a while. We can use this situation and buy some time to create good alibis for us. They are too close… we must protect our identities at any cost."

 

"Okay, then. We will let lord HeeChul live for a while." the mad shadow accepted. "But…" the shadow took lord Sung-woo ’s hanbok, threatening him. "If you kill or harm lord HeeChul anymore, I’ll make sure you have a terrible death. I have killed royals for less, and you know."

 

"But…" he tried to find some support from the other shadow.

 

"We have been colleagues for years, milord, but, your last actions had been too irresponsible. We must end our partnership here and we will continue alone, without you."

 

"I can report to the king your identities! Do not dare to leave me behind!" he also threatened.

 

"Lord HeeChul isn’t the only one who has spies in Court." the rational shadow said. 2If I think you can betray us, I will use all my power to destroy you and your lineage, until there is no evidence that the Parks of the East existed. Am I clear?"

 

Sung-woo nodded, because he knew that shadow wasn’t threatening in vain. The other shadows left the house with discretion, and, Park Sung-woo cried: he had just realized he was alone.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Seung-wan, come here, let me see if the skirt suits you."

 

Chaerin adored that uncommon little girl, because, she reminded her: rebellious, strong-winded, stubborn and unable to fit the standards of what a proper lady should be. It was going to be difficult for her: Chaerin was already listening to bad comments of envious ladies in court. “Her skin is quite blemished, her cheeks to chubby and her behavior so inappropriate” were some of the lovely compliments that young lady was receiving. And, since Chaerin didn’t want to see her suffer as much as she did when she entered the Joseon Court, she swore to protect Seung-wan.

 

"Seung-wan, lady Chaerin has made this dress especially for you, stop moving." Hyori warned her.

 

The girl sighted and tried to stay as quiet as possible, with her arms rose. It was a very pretty pale blue hanbok, with white silk flowers stitched on the upper part. The silk was so light it seemed she was floating in the air every time she moved.

 

"It is one of the best creations I have ever seen, Second Palace Lady." Hyori complimented her work.

 

"Thank you, lady Hyori. But you have helped me a lot with it, I could not have found a silk so perfect for a little girl as you did."

 

"Thank you for your compliments, Second Palace Lady."

 

"You look weird, Chaerin, with beautiful dresses."

 

"That vocabulary, Seung-wan! It is lady Chaerin or Second Palace Lady. Show more respect!"

 

"I am sorry, mum."

 

"Do not scold her, lady Hyori." Chaerin said, while fixing the down patterns of the skirt with some needles. "When I was her age it was difficult for me to get used to protocols."

 

The two women helped the little girl to get dressed again with her normal hanbok, and let her go to her chambers and play peacefully. Seung-wan and Hyori were staying at HeeChul’s villa in the city, because winter was coming and it was less hard to spend the cold seasons in the capital.

 

"Then… do you have any way to contact the Silver Dragons, lady Hyori?"

 

"I am afraid it would not be a wise idea, Second Palace Lady."

 

"Why do you ask?" Hyori smirked: it was too obvious Chaerin missed the panda boy.

 

"They might help us to find lord HeeChul…"

 

"Ah! In the middle of an island… quite useful…"

 

Chaerin blushed, but, she pretended she didn’t get Hyori’s hidden message and focused once more on the skirt they had to finish for the Dōngzhì Festival, the first event the Queen will assist after her successful recovery.

 

The sound of a pigeon coming alarmed her, and Chaerin took her sword, just in case something bad was about to happen. She was so fast that the poor Seung-wan was startled: even her mother was ready for an imminent attack.

 

"Go to your room, Seung-wan!" Hyori warned her.

 

A dirty and small pigeon landed on the floor, carefully, Hyori took it, and while she was caressing it, she noticed a small parchment hidden between the feathers. She recognized Jiyong’s writing immediately.

 

"The Dragon!"

 

Hyori read the message carefully: some Silver Dragons had just arrived to Joseon and where looking for a place to safety hide.

 

"What are those bastards doing here?!" Chaerin screamed.

 

"Shhhh, Second Palace Lady! They are here because they want to honor Sandara’s memory and protect his child."

 

"That’s bull! He is here because he wants to protect the princess, and the others are so loyal they decided to help him."

 

"I know that is the real reason, but let’s pretend we do not know. And do not say anything to the princess: the palace is full of spies and the Silver Dragons might get caught."

 

"But…"

 

"Do you want to see Seungri in prison?"

 

And Chaerin accepted that Taeyeon didn’t have to know the Silver Dragons were in Hanseong: it was too risky.

 

"They could stay at HeeChul’s summer villa, outside the city. There are no servants working there, only some guards to look after it."

 

"But the guards will know…" Chaerin pointed out.

 

"Mmmmm… I have it! I will send them a letter asking for extra support here in the main house, because I am afraid the kidnappers might want to attack us."

 

"That is plausible… but… the house cannot be unprotected, it will be suspicious."

 

"I will contract the Silver Dragons, obviously with fake identities, as the new guardians. That way, they could stay there until summer.

 

"But… faking identities… how long would it take?"

 

"For me? A few hours." Hyori proudly informed. "Although…" she seemed quite worried, so Chaerin had to ask.

 

"Although what?"

 

"I am sure we are controlled and spied right now."

 

"Even me?"

 

"Of course, you have not told the authorities the hidden place of the Silver Dragons, lady Chaerin."

 

"Maybe you are right… then… how can we contact them? We must give them the fake identities, guide them to lord HeeChul’s summer villa… we need to go and find them!"

 

"Not us, lady Chaerin. Is too risky."

 

"Then… who?"

 

Hyori thought for a few seconds, because it was a risky decision: tell someone that the Silver Dragons were in Joseon and needed a place to hide. In the wrong hands, this information could be dangerous. Then, Hyori remembered the only person in Court who wouldn’t get suspicious if she was away a few days during the antecessors festival (because she was the only living member of her clan) and would never betray the pirates:

 

"Could you speak with lady Kwon Bo Ah, Chaerin?"

 

Before Hyori could react, Chaerin screamed.

 

"Seung-wan! Come here, please! Everything is alright!"

 

"Yes, lady Chaerin."

 

When the little girl was in front of them once more, Chaerin squat a little.

 

"Seung-wan…" Chaerin smiled.

 

"Yes?"

 

"Would you like to play hide-and-seek with your mother and me tomorrow at the festival?"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Chaerin was able to enter the Palace without being noticed. She was an experienced warrior and member of the Court, so she knew when someone was following her, and, ever since they returned from their captivity, the Second Palace lady could feel the presence of someone. When she asked the Queen, all she was able to say was: “the King has to verify you really don’t know anything about the Silver Dragons. But I am sure you will be able to make them believe whatever you want to, Second Palace Lady.” For that reason, Chaerin was being extremely prudent, tricking the guards following her and making them believe she had returned to her duties as an efficient Second Palace Lady.

When she arrived it was already dark, and Kwon Bo Ah was helping the princess to gather up her painting tools.

"Chaerin, I’ve missed you!" and Taeyeon hugged her friend. "Do not worry, everyone thought you have been here all the afternoon… how is little Seung-wan doing?"

 

"She doesn’t like dresses that much."

 

"As I thought, she’s as beautiful as her mother, but also as free-spirited as her."

 

Chaerin helped Bo Ah to make the room proper once more: when Taeyeon pained, she usually made a huge mess. Chaerin took one of the watercolors and hanged it so it could dry properly.

 

"Another landscape?"

"It is from the ocean." Taeyeon said while she was hanging another one.

 

"Quite different, princess Taeyeon, right? No more mountains?"

 

"Yes… I do not know, I never realized our coasts were so pretty."

 

"We will finish here, princess, do not arrive late to the Royal family dinner."

 

Taeyeon nodded and left with some guards. The two Palace Ladies were left alone, and Chaerin decided to speak with lady Bo Ah, no warm-ups, she just went ahead.

 

"Your siblings are in Joseon trying to find a place to hide and because Kwon Jiyong is in love with the princess and wants to help her to find the people who are attacking the Royal Family."

 

"Wait… what?!"

 

The paint Bo Ah was holding fell on the floor, and the hanboks of both ladies got quite dirty. “The Chief of the maids is going to scold us for this.Chaerin thought. Meanwhile, Bo Ah was so shocked she couldn’t move, and stood in the middle of the room for a few minutes, not even blinking.

 

"First Palace Lady?"

 

"My siblings…"

 

"We have received a message from them, but since we have spies following us it would be difficult to escape from Gyeongbokgung. You are the truly right-hand person of the Queen, nobody would be suspicious if you are absent for a few days."

 

"But… I cannot leave the Court without an . It is forbidden after the attacks."

 

"We have a plan for that…"

 

"But… my siblings, they hate me."

 

Chaerin was shocked, because it was the first time she witnessed Kwon Bo Ah being a coward. She was her master, the one who taught her how to fight and protect the Royal Family. But now, she seemed quite scared: indeed, she didn’t have the best relationship with the rest of the Kwon clan. To her mind, Chaerin though the wisest one seven years ago had been Kwon Bo Ah: she stayed in court, so she had more possibilities to fight for justice and clean her family’s name.

 

"Do you want to keep that hateful relationship forever, First Palace Lady? Now it is the best chance you will ever have."

 

Bo Ah closed her eyes, and the guilt hit her hard: seven years had passed since the last time she spoke to her younger siblings. It was scary, because she was starting to forget how they looked like. Her stubborn Yuri, her charming and cheerful Seung-hyun and his loyal and witty Jiyong… she missed them terribly.

 

"What is your plan, then?"

 

Chaerin smirked.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"So, that makes a total of 210 barrels from the Jeolla Province." the Dowager Queen informed. "Without counting on the barrels coming from Chungcheong Province, that doubles the royal barns amounts from last year."

 

The Dowager Queen showed to the Queen the reports, and she, with Jeongwan’s help, sat on the pillows, paying attention to the writing passages.

 

During that month, although sick and recovering, the Queen and the Dowager Queen had been taking care of the cereals reserves in the Palace. It was neither the Queen nor the Queen Dowager’s duty to verify those reports, but, sine Mi-young had informed of some flaws inside the administrative system, both women decided it was a good idea to double check. The scholars protested, ashamed because some women would verify their hard work without proper instruction, but the King insisted, and threaten to dismiss those who disobeyed.

 

And, since that year had been an excellent year for the harvest, Jeongwan was allowed to help her a little, and learned a lot from his step-mother: “your priority is to stock up as much as possible, so when the famine comes, your people won’t turn against you”. He had been helping them to supervise the storage of cereals, and learned a lot.

 

"Look here, Jeongwan." Mi-young informed. "What do between in this numbers?"

 

Jeongwan reflected for a while, and asked for the reports made the previous years, with Mi-young patience and guidance, he was able to find what he wanted.

 

"They are strange… Why did lord Hwang give us fewer barrels last year if the harvest was similar?"

 

"Good question, indeed, Crown Prince." the Dowager Queen affirmed, proud to see her grandchild had natural instincts to rule. "How would you proceed?"

 

"I will send some messengers, to inform lord Hwang that he is required at Court for an interrogation."

 

"That would be too drastic, Crown Prince…" the Queen suggested.

 

"Why?"

 

"Because, my dear grandchild," Uhm Jung Hwa informed "the Hwangs are the ones in control of the vast majority of fields in Jeolla. And have proved over the years to be a strong support to the Crown."

 

"It is politics, Crown Prince. Some families would like you, some others don’t. Make the firsts ones become even closer, and show some merci."

 

"What would you do, your majesty?"

 

"I would send a threating message, telling lord Hwang that we have caught him with his corruption. But, since he is a trustworthy man, we will give him a chance to pay his debts with the Crown without trials. If he doesn’t, he will lose the Crown’s support and his corrupted lands."

 

"You must also learn to give second chances, my dear grandchild."

 

"How can I distinguish when I can and cannot be merciful? It is really hard."

 

"No, you, as the King, have to always be merciless."

 

"I do not understand."

 

"Marry a gentle and brave lady, she will help you to balance the nation. It is the Queen’s duty to be merciful, and to advise her husband when he doubts."

 

"Marry?" he got pale.

 

"Do not worry, Crown Prince!" Uhm Jung Hwa laughed loudly. "You are not fifteen yet, you will not get married. You have just made the same expression your father did.

 

"He hated my mother, right?

 

Both women looked at each other with pity, because the idea of his parents hating each other hunted the Crown Prince.

 

"The story of Queen Sandara and Royal Concubine Bom was indeed tragic. It all started with your grandfather, a man I could never love, but that gave me beautiful children."

 

"You didn’t love grandfather?!

 

"He was nothing like you or your father, Jeongwan. He was weak, and easily manipulated. He decided to put your mother in the Crown when she didn’t want to. She was betrothed to Kwon Jiyong, the Silver Dragon."

 

"The traitor?!"

 

"He was your father’s best friend before, Jeongwan. Your mother loved lord Kwon a lot, but they couldn’t marry…"

 

"Why?"

 

"Your uncle" and Uhm Jung Hwa had to control the urge to cry "Dong Wook died childless. So the plans for your father changed, and he married your mother, poor beautiful sweet lady… she wasn’t ready to be a Queen…"

 

"No? Why not?"

 

"Look what happened to Mi-young! She was almost kidnapped and almost killed. It is really difficult and your mother was an angel. Too sweet and gentle to handle with bad situations and bad comments."

 

"Yes… it true. I have heard some bad comments about me too. That I am too childish and impulsive."

 

Mi-young took Jeongwan’s hand, and hold it tightly, trying to give him support. As Jeongwan, she had heard the story of Queen Sandara a hundred times, but never from a member of the Royal Family, not even Taeyeon told her.

 

"Some people call me the barren Chinese " Mi-young confessed.

 

"And everyone calls me the manipulative and embittered Dowager Queen."

 

Uhm Jung Hwa held the hands of both Mi-young and Jeongwan and it was a nice moment, because, within the silence, they were able to comfort each other for a few seconds. Indeed, the Choi clan was the most powerful family in all Joseon, but that had some disadvantages too, and being constantly criticized was one of them. They needed each other

 

"See? Jeongwan? Your mother could not bear that, and she became really really sad and lonely. Only you made her happy, Jeongwan."

 

"Me?"

 

"Yes, you handsome little man. Your brightness, stubbornness, and kindness made Queen Sandara so proud of you. And even though your parents didn’t love each other, they never felt hate. They were friends, as I was with your grandfather."

 

"So… when I marry… is it possible that I do not love my bride?"

 

"We devote our lives to Joseon, love is secondary. But I promise that I will do my best to find you a Crown Princess you can love with all your heart."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Everything is going to be alright, my King." Mi-young whispered to Seung-hyun while they were walking arm by arm.

 

"But…"

 

"And stop acting this way, my King! You are embarrassing me with this public affection!"

 

Seung-hyun looked at her perplexed, because he didn’t understand what was so embarrassing for her. He was only holding her arm tightly, helping her to walk.

 

"You were almost killed!"

 

"But the doctors said I can walk properly, my King." she insisted.

The maids and eunuch behind them had to control their urge to laugh, because the Queen threatened them with a warning gaze. She felt quite uncomfortable with the moment, and the Royal Children, who were behind them, were speechless seeing his father behaving like such a fool.

 

"Father, I will help mother, it would be more appropriate."

 

Everyone was so stunned they had their mouths wide opened. But, without paying attention, Jeongwan took Mi-young’s arm and hold it tightly. He was becoming a quite tall boy, and he was as tall as the Queen.

 

"You are my father’s wife, the Mother of the Nation and tried to be my mother even though I treat you so badly." he looked at his younger siblings, who were still astonished. "You should also call Queen Mi-young mother. She deserves it."

 

The Royal Family walked in silence through the corridors until they arrived at the main square. The horses, palanquins, and army were already waiting for them: it was a tradition to give the Gods some offerings to thank for the good harvest and pray for a better one for spring.

 

Because of the time spent working with the Queen while she was recovering, Jeongwan had had some time to reflect and, realize that maybe Qing Mi-young wasn’t a woman who wanted to replace his mother, and that she was a competent leader who wished to fulfill her duties. “My aunts were wrong with Queen Mi-young. I know they are sad for mother, but, she isn’t a bad person” Jeongwan thought. On the contrary, she was a person who deserved his respect who whom saved him. He owed the Queen his life, and he was determined to make menses from his childish attitude towards her. 

 

"Shall we go, mother?"

 

Mi-young nodded slightly and let Jeongwan guide her towards her palanquin. With his and Taeyeon’s help, she was able to sit comfortably, and once the curtains were close, she cried in silence.

 

"Are you unhappy, Mi-young? I know you are too young for be Jeongwan’s mother…"

 

"No Taeyeon." and the Queen hugged her best friend. "I am so happy, so happy…"

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

"Only three months have passed since Yi En’s birth." Empress Qing Song said, pretending to be worried about her future. "What are the risks, Great Doctress?"

 

The Great Doctress examined once more the Empress’ belly and her pulse, to look for the baby’s heartbeat: both the mother and the unborn child were alright, yet, she had to follow the plan, betraying her promise to always give true medical advice. 

 

"The new child might come to this world too early, your Imperial highness." the Great Doctress made sure she spoke clearly enough, so the maids inside the room will be able to understand what she was saying. "Both of you are in great danger, your imperial majesty."

 

"Inform the Emperor who is waiting outside and tell him I am pregnant again." Song ordered to one of her maids.

 

Song had fainted earlier that day, while she was having lunch with her children and the Emperor. A rare situation because she usually ate at her chambers with her three boys: Yixing, Chen and Yi En. The Emperor did not want to get disturbed, not even by his legitimate sons. But, that moment was pure gold, and she had to take advantage of the situation, and become a good actress once more.

 

"Have you understood the risks, Empress Qing Song?" the Great Doctress insisted, once more trying to be as clear as possible.

 

"Yes, this pregnancy is dangerous."

 

"IS THAT TRUE?!" the Emperor, who had just entered the room, yelled.

 

Everyone suddenly bowed, except the Empress, who was still feeling a bit dizzy and lying on her bed. She couldn’t move a lot, but she could see how the Emperor had his eyes wide open, and the signs of guilt were painted all over his face.

 

"The Gods are punishing me for my sins! I can sense it!" he sat next to the Empress, holding her hand so tightly that it hurt Qing Song, but she pretended everything was alright.

 

"What sins can you have committed, my Emperor? Everything you do is for your people."

 

"Seven years ago, when I gave the order to kill the Crown Prince of Joseon, you suffered a miscarriage. And now, after my second attempt, the doctors tell me my unborn child is in danger."

 

Well, luckily you have fallen into my trap without so much need to manipulate you. For once, you have done something alright, Qing Geng. And I hope with the link you have just made, you stop the constant attack to the Joseon Dynasty. They are an old Dynasty and you should learn from then to keep your throne, not destroy them.Qing Song thought.

 

"It is just bad luck, my Emperor."

 

"NO! THE GODS ARE PUNISHING ME FOR MY SINS!"

 

"You are also one of them… why should the Gods punish you, my Emperor? If it is me who they…"

 

"I CANNOT LOSE YOU!" he hugged her, and Song had to control her nauseas. "You still haven’t given me my eight children."

 

"Of course, my Emperor." she paused a little. "What would you like to do, my love?"

 

Qing Geng looked at his Empress in shock: it was the first time in seven years of marriage she called him as “my love”, and he tightened the embrace. Song had difficulties to breathe.

 

"You are mine, but do not take too much informality with me. You are the third Empress of the Qing Dynasty because of me. Never forget that and never call me “my love” again."

 

"Forgive, my Emperor." she tried to find a good excuse for making him angry. "I am a bit sad for your unborn child and could not think properly."

 

"That is because he is draining all your energy. But do not worry: I promise you will have a nice labor."

 

"How?"

 

"From now on, I will not continue my aggressive attack towards the Joseon Royal Family. The Gods had warned me and I must be patient if I want to get their Kingdom into my domains."

 

"I do not understand…"

 

"I will insist on the matrimonies’ policy. Maybe, if I am patient, the Gods will unite our houses someday. Everything I do is for you, my Empress. Rest, and take the doctress’ advises."

 

He pushed her into the bed once more, and, although he tried to be gentle, Song had to control the urge to gasp.  

 

"I will go now: the King of Joseon must know my intentions are honest and harmless."

 

He kissed her on her forehead, and once the Emperor left the room, Qing Song cleaned her forehead thoroughly.

 

"Why did you want me to lie to the Emperor, my Empress?" the Great Doctress whispered, while she exanimated her. "It was too risky to get pregnant again. I know you are completely healthy and capable to bring another baby to this world. It is your duty as the Empress. But three months it is too short. Why did you take so many fertilizers, Empress?"

 

"If I remember correctly, you have Korean blood on your veins, Great Doctress Jung Soo Jung."

 

"Yes, I do have Korean blood, your imperial majesty."

 

"Then, trust me." and took the Great Doctress hand. "The Emperor needed a divine sign to stop his personal slaughter against the Koreans. If he continued, their hate against the Qing Dynasty might have caused a rebellion…"

 

"So… you tricked the Emperor to think he might lose another child if he doesn’t stop his violent policy, Empress…"

 

"Exactly: we do not need more enemies. Ruling the Chinese Empire is not a matter of strength, it is a matter of resistance. So, when I successfully give birth to a new child, he will think he has chosen the right path to follow towards the Koreans. And, he will focus on controlling the Forbidden City and his nobles once more. He was getting too obsessed."

 

"Thank you, your imperial highness."

 

"For what, Great Doctress?"

 

"You have accelerated your pregnancy to save my Kingdom."

 

"I just do what I think it is right."

 

"Then, all the rumors between the women in Palace are true."

 

"What rumors?"

 

"If the Qing Dynasty is able to settle into the government, is going to be thanks to the Empress, not the Emperor."

 

"It is too soon to talk about that. But thank you kindly, Great Doctress. Only time will tell us. Only time."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

After the usual prayers, the King and the Queen gave the Royal Children some time on their own, followed by the trustworthy soldiers.

 

"Will they be alright, my Queen?"

 

"If we let fear control us, our enemies will win. They will stay inside the temple’s doors and there are soldiers everywhere. Besides, the children promised us to never lose our sight; they know how dangerous it can be."

 

"Shall we go for a walk, my beloved Queen?" and he offered his arm.

 

"Your highness! Everyone is watching!"

 

"Let them enjoy of their good-looking monarchs."

 

Mi-young blushed but refused to take Seung-hyun’s arm. It was too embarrassing to show any type of public affection: it was something they should never do. But he was being so goofy and childish that it was getting difficult to resist… “I mean, c’mon, it is extremely difficult to deny something to such a handsome man!” Mi-young thought, and blushed even more.

 

"Seung-wan! Seung-wan!"

 

Seung-hyun and Mi-young stopped their walk when they heard the screams of lady Hyori through the gardens. She tried to approach the Royals to proper salute them, but, the guards stopped her. The king, move one of the spears and stood in front of the scared former gisaeng.

 

"Lady Hyori… may I ask what troubles you?"

 

"My little daughter, Seung-wan… we were playing and while I was picking up one of the balls she disappeared. I have been an hour looking for her, but she doesn’t answer me."

 

"Disappeared?!"

 

Mi-young hold Seung-hyun’s hand automatically, and the both royals glared at each other, in fear. They had to act quickly.

 

"First Palace and Second Palace Lady! Take the Royal Children inside the temple and close all possible access! Bring the Queen with you."

 

"And you?"

 

"I will instruct the soldiers to find the young lady and check the temple is a safe place before we move."

 

Mi-young nodded and run towards the safest place. Yeon Jun was death scared and was hugging his older sister, who seemed pissed.

 

"Do not worry, Yeon Jun, we will leave soon. Do you want to read a little while we wait?"

 

One of the monks waiting inside with them offered Yeon Jun a book, and he got immersed in his never ending world full of characters. He really loved to read, and Mi-young was happy about it. “If he enjoys literature more than weapons, he might become a quiet scholar”.

 

"Thank you sir." Mi-young thanked.

 

"There’s no need, your majesty."

 

The waiting was quite uncomfortable and boring for the royal children, but they heard the soldiers running and screaming, looking for the little girl. So, they had to be patient. Mi-young was helping Yeon Jun with the difficult Chinese characters and Yeon Jun was explaining to her how to write them in hangul. A productive exchange, but, Jeongwan started to move, impatient.

 

"Can I go to the bathroom, mother?" Jeongwan asked.

 

"We must stay here…"

 

"I have to!"

 

"Then some guards must accompany you to a latrine."

 

"But… privacy, mother."

 

"No privacy today, Crown Prince."

 

With frustration, Jeongwan was guided towards the latrine, followed by his loyal soldiers.

 

"TURN AROUND!" he ordered.

 

"But the Queen…"

 

"IT IS TOO HUMILIATING! HOW DARE YOU NOT TO OBEY!"

 

For the first time, the soldiers saw the threatening and intimidating gaze of the King between the Crown Prince’s expressions. They were so alike that they wouldn’t dare to disobey a direct order, so they turned around. And, Jeongwan took advantage of that situation to stab the men with the decorative sword he usually carried with him.

 

"I am sorry, but we have to end this nonsense and I will help father to find the lost girl."

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

The Empress Qing Song feared that moment, the moment when his husband will call the Korean ambassador once more. She was looking through a hidden chamber built for her, it was near the Imperial throne yet nobody could see her sitting there, with her growing belly and three boys. 

 

"Almost a year has passed since we saw each other, Korean Ambassador."

 

"I just can hope this might not happen again, your imperial highness."

 

"We should speak more often, please, rise."

 

The Korean ambassador rose from the floor, but he was, as per usual, in a lower position than the Emperor: no-one could be higher than him in his city.

 

"I want you to send a message to my beloved half-sister, and congratulate her on her fast recovery."

 

"I will gladly do that, your imperial highness."

 

"And also… I want you to transmit my intentions to continue our diplomatic relationships by making princess Taeyeon the wife of my second brother, prince Hao, when spring comes. I want peace, and I know King Seung-hyun wishes the same."

 

"Of course, your imperial highness. These are really good news."

 

“I hope things will get calmer, my beloved children. But I am so sorry for the poor Joseon princess."  the Empress thought, and a small tear fell through her check.

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

"Mommy should have already come to find me…"

 

Lady Hyori told her daughter to play hide and seek during the festival, and Seung-wan was waiting inside her hidden place for what seemed hours. She could not hold it any longer, and the urge to move forced her to get out, looking for her mother.

 

"Mommy! Where are you mommy?"

 

The presence of a human near her, someone who wasn’t her mother, alerted Seung-wan. The hidden shadow moved through the trees, and, Seung-wan got her alarms on. Remembering what she had learned from the Silver Dragons, she analyzed the terrain as fast as she could, and she found a resistant stick on the floor. In constant alert, she took it and waited for an attack. Suddenly, the shadow moved fast and started to jump from tree to tree, and Seung-wan got suspicions and run to catch it.

  • "Hey, you! Come here!"

But the shadow was too fast, and jumped one of the temple’s walls, leaving the place. Seung-wan couldn’t identify that shadow, but, her when she was about to climb, to see who it was, a big blue cat stood in the middle.

 

"ATTENTION!"

 

Seung-wan lost balance and fell on the blue cat, only to realize a few minutes later that it was a young boy, around her age.

 

"You, bastard! How dare you to… oh! Lady Seung-wan!"

 

Jeongwan froze when he saw that weird girl with her beautiful blue hanbok, her cheeks all red and her dark black hair messy because she had been running. She was too beautiful that day. “How can she look so beautiful if she is a crazy young lady?” Jeongwan thought.

 

"But it’s my friend Jeongwan!" and she hugged him. "What are you doing here?!"

 

"What… we were looking for you, lady Seung-wan!" the Crown Prince yelled. "AND I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND, I AM THE CROWN PRINCE!"

 

"Looking for me? Why?"

 

"Because your mother is worried."

 

"I do not understand."

 

"We should go, lady Seung-wan, before your mother has a heart attack…"

 

Jeongwan took Seung-wan’s wrist with strength, only to hurt her and scream in response.

 

"Don’t touch me, Jeongwan!"

 

"CROWN PRINCE!"

 

"Okay! Crown Prince, leave me alone!"

 

She took her stick and hit the Crown Prince’s hand, without harming him, only with enough to distract him and took his sword.

 

"I have come to save you! Give me my sword back!"

 

And with as much treachery as Seung-wan used, Jeongwan took some sand from the floor and throw it to the young lady, so he could get his sword back. Little he knew his father had just arrived…

 

"CROWN PRINCE!" the King screamed so much that Jeongwan got the impression the trees moved. "HOW CAN YOU TREAT A YOUNG LADY LIKE THAT?! AND HOW DARE YOU TO DISOBEY YOUR MOTHER AND LEAVE US?!"

 

"Seung-wan!"

 

Hyori emerged from behind the King, to run towards her daughter.

 

"My Seung-wan! I was so worried!" she hugged the young lady. "Are you alright?" and checked her.

 

"But mommy, you told m… aaaahhh!" and she saw how Hyori winked, asking Seung-wan to act a little. "I was so scared mommy! I have heard a strange noise and I hide inside some benches!"

 

"What strange noise, young lady?! Can you tell me?" the King demanded, while holding Jeongwan’s hand with strength, the poor kid was glaring at Seung-wan, and the little girl could do nothing but giggle.

"Yes, your majesty. it was a small person, jumping between the trees. I tried to catch him, but he escaped through the walls behind us."

 

"Guards! Come with me! JEONGWAN!"

 

Jeongwan looked at Seung-wan once more before leaving and promised to himself that, one day, he was going to make Seung-wan pay for it. Even if it was the last thing he did.  

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Bo Ah was walking in the dark, but, she was an experienced warrior, and her eyes were used to the dark. For what Hyori has told her, they were hiding in a tavern near the east-coast, nor far from Yangyang. How they get that far from the south it was a mystery. But Bo Ah knew she had to hurry up: the King had offered a reward for their heads, and she didn’t want to lose her siblings that way.

 

Unluckily for her, when she arrived to the tavern, there was a group of men talking and whispering about her siblings, and she knew she had arrived to the right place.

 

"It is quite strange that a dark skinned girl without the company of some maids is truly a noble lady." a bald one said.

 

"Yes! She truly acts and looks like a noble, but it is strange…" another with some teeth missing added.

 

"Yes! We should go tomorrow morning and warn the commissar!"

 

"YES!"

 

Bo Ah sighted “They just don’t know how to be cautious and pass unnoticed”, and taking advantage of their distraction, she went downstairs, looking for the Silver Dragons. It didn’t take long: as usual, Yuri and Seungri were arguing.

 

"I am the lady so I sleep in the mattress! You on the floor!"

 

"No one is going to come to verify it."

 

Bo Ah’s fraternal instinct told her to scold them, but, she was afraid the men of the village will get even more suspicious, so she did the only think she could do at that moment: a Chaerin.

"You better hurry up and pack!" Bo Ah suddenly kicked the door. "The men are getting suspicious and we should be gone in less than an hour! Hurry up!"

 

Yet, the impression of her appearance wasn’t enough to startle the Silver Dragons. On the contrary: they stood in front of the First Palace Lady, unable to believe what they were witnessing. They were gaping so much that there could be a fight downstairs and no-one would have noticed.

 

Bo Ah also couldn’t move, contemplating her siblings: Jiyong had lost some weight and was unable to grow a full beard (as usual), Yuri had got darker but her olive skin looked healthy on her, and Seung-hyun… well, he looked the same and had that goofy expression he used to have. But the childish features he once had were gone, as he was a fully-grown man. Bo Ah sighted in relief: no evident wounds, no lack of parts of the body, and good looking healthy siblings… “Gods have listened to my prayers, they are alright!”.

 

"Noonim…" Seungri whispered, approaching her with disbelief. "Is it really you?"

 

Bo Ah nodded, Seungri smiled and wrapped his eldest sister in a warm embrace.

 

"I’ve missed you, noonim."

 

Although they had lots of things to talk about, they knew it wasn’t the right moment for that. Instead, both Yuri and Jiyong joined Seungri in his embrace, and the First Palace Lady couldn’t hold her tears.

 

"I’ve missed you too. I’ve missed you too."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________

 

The Dōngzhì Festival or winter solstice festival is a festival celebrated at the end of December, and it is a tradition based on the theory of the yin and yang: since the Koreans celebrated a summer festival, to welcome the good weather and the harvest, they had also to celebrate a festival to welcome the winter and get ready to welcome the new year (which is in February). It is a family event, where the clans reunite, honor their antecessors and eat together, usually colorful rice cakes.

 

I know I am not the best updater, but I promise is because of lack of time, not because I do not wish to continue this story. A year has already passed since my first update, and I want to finish a story that brings me so many good moments. 

After checking the plot, I think we have about seven chapters left. I have also in mind to continue a sequel, but let's see if I can finish this one first and do not die in the process. English isn't my first language and it absorbs all my energy this fanfic.  

  • The Great Doctress is no other than Krystal of f(x).