Oeyeondo Island.

The Silver Dragons

 

 

Chapter 13. Oeyeondo Island.

 

 

Mi-young sat frustrated on her bank. Spring was arriving yet everything was still cold: nothing she tried to do in order to warm more hearts in court was working. So, only Kwon Bo-Ah and Kim Heechul were by her side. Two powerful allies, indeed, but, some more at the councils or the ministries would have been nice.

 

"What do we have there, then?"

 

"Last year we doubled the demands of zinc pigment to China" Bo-Ah read from one of the Annals.

 

"And why aren’t we using the pigments provided by local productions?" Mi-young furrow her frown.

 

"Maybe the production had better quality, I guess."

 

"Trust me, the Chinese pigments aren’t as good as they seem. And the transport expenses…" Mi-young took one of Bo-Ah’s documents and read it carefully. "Inappropriate!"

 

For what she had seen, over the last few years there had been a tendency to buy Chinese products instead of Korean ones. And, for the information she had gathered together, that had a negative impact in their economy. Especially for the small industries. And they needed their industries to be strong, because the Crown had full-control over the benefits they created. It was their easiest source of taxes.

 

Determined to change that, Mi-young glimpsed to one high ranked maid of the palace.

 

"The Queen orders this year we would only order Korean products when possible. I will personally send all the demands and verify you aren’t using Chinese products. And inform everyone that I would not tolerate tricks, because I can identify the products quite easily."

 

A few weeks after her tough encounter with Uhm Jung Hwa, Mi-young changed a little her habits and stablished a new routine. At daybreak, she would get up and get ready to start the day with some morning prayers at the Dowager Queen’s palace. Then, they would have breakfast with the Royal Children and survey their progress. Normally, Mi-young will observe and it was the Dowager Queen who asked the proper questions.

 

"Have you started training with normal swords, Crown Prince?"

 

"Yes, your majesty. Yesterday."

 

"I want to do the same hyeongnim does!" Third Prince Choi Yeon Jun complained.

 

"Once you get the abilities of the Crown Prince you will. But be aware, young prince, that your older brother is an exceptional sword fighter."

 

"Then I will work hard" he glimpsed the Crown Prince. "Jeongwan-hyung… will you teach me?"

 

"When you are nicer to our sister!"

 

"Thanks for defending me, orabeoni!" Second Princess Ha Yi exclaimed while hugging the Crown Prince.

 

"A lady must keep a lower tone, Ha Yi!" Dowager Queen scolded her.

 

"Understood, halmeonim."

 

They were nice, Mi-young’s step-children. Park Bom’s children, Yeon Jun and Ha Yi, were so easy-going and welcomed her openly. Rumors said they had inherited a kind and talkative personality, between their deceased grandfather and their mother. But the challenge was the Crown Prince. Maybe because Mi-young came to replace his mother’s position as Queen that he was distant. He was correct and respectful with her, but it seemed there was a wall between them, and his coldness made her feel even more distant to everyone.

 

Somehow, I will get his trust.” Mi-young thought.

 

After explaining her schedule to Jung Hwa and getting her approval, Mi-young started her duties. They consisted in sitting down and reading the Annals in order to prepare the Palace’s budget for the next semester. It was a task that demanded lots of concentration and detailed work. So, she would often eat something while still working and finish her day at sunset, just in time to have dinner with all the Royal Family.

 

"My secretaries told me you ordered to increase our purchases of Korean products, my Queen" Seung-hyun commented.

 

"It seems it is impossible to keep a secret in this Palace."

 

"Welcome to Gyeongbonkgung, sister" Daesung joked.

 

"Dongseng…"

 

"Do not scold uncle, father" Ha Yi intervened. "Queen Mi-young is right: you just can’t keep secrets here."

 

"Thank you, niece." Daesung said. "Tell me, Ha Yi, had you had a nice day?"

 

Traditions said they should sit surrounding the King in order of rank, but, Seung-hyun made it clear: his three children will sit surrounding him and the Dowager Queen, so they could feel closer to their father. Taeyeon’s place was empty, decorated with flowers and offerings to the Gods. And Mi-young observed the scene, a stranger.

 

"Do not worry, sister. For us is really important that Jeongwan, Ha Yi and Yeon Jun have a nice relationship. We don’t want another traitor uncle."

 

"The Emperor should learn from you, then. He constantly confronts his children, although he made it clear only the children of the Empress will have rights to the throne."

 

"How many children does the Emperor have?"

 

"As for now, fifteen."

 

"Fifteen?!" Daesung was surprised.

 

"Yes, brother. Fifteen. And that’s not much: I was the 33th child of my father, the III Emperor, and followed by five more sisters."

 

Daesung was startled. He, who swore he would never get married and have children, couldn’t understand how a man needed so many descendants. It only created conflict between them.

 

"I prefer this atmosphere, Second Prince" she confessed. "The Royal Family knows each other and is able to enjoy a meal together. My nephews and nieces had never had that privilege."

 

When Mi-young lived at the Forbidden City. She mainly was with the Empress and her children, not the rest. The Imperial Children were most of the time with their mothers, so, they barely knew each other and that helped to increase the hate between them. Nevertheless, all had one thing in common: their biggest wish was to have a meal with their father, a relaxed one, far from banquets and celebrations.

 

"It’s time to go to sleep, children."

 

"But, grandmother!" the three complained.

 

"For heaven’s sake! Behave! You are almost twelve, Crown Prince!"

 

Mi-young retired with the children, so she could get ready for another night with the King. She sighed, frustrated.

 

"Patience, my Queen" Bo Ah whispered. "Everything will be just fine."

 

Mi-young nodded and, once more, she started to read her documents. She was so focused on it that not even Seung-hyun’s deep voice could make her look away from those Annals. 

 

"Good night, my Queen."

 

"Good night, my King."

 

She didn’t look back nor changed her facial expression: it was an automatic answer.

 

"Now are you playing indifference with my, my Queen?"

 

"Excuse me, my King. I was working."

 

"Still?"

 

"As always."

 

"That’s an expression my mother uses a lot."

 

"She’s a good teacher, I guess."

 

Just mentioning the Dowager Queen made Mi-young had shivers all over her body. She was a clever and competent woman, but so intimidating that Mi-young woke up earlier just to be perfect every morning. She never cared about looking good, not even when she had a banquet at the Forbidden City with the Emperor. Jung Hwa was THAT intimidating.

 

"I’m glad your relationship has improved a little."

 

"Thank you, my King."

 

She continued with her reading, expecting the King to go to sleep. But he didn’t and that annoyed Mi-young because she couldn’t concentrate: he had a cocky expression on his face and observed her, a half-smile showing.

 

Suddenly, he approached her and put down some of her documents with his long fingers.

 

"My Queen, please, rest."

 

"I can’t, I have so many things to do!" Mi-young exclaimed.

 

"You remind me when I became King."

 

"Then, how are you able to sleep, my King?"

 

"My mother told me: if you want to help your nation, be healthy. And she was right: after just three months without enough sleep I got sick and couldn’t do my job properly."

 

"Your mother is a wise woman."

 

"Then you should listen to her too."

 

"Alright then."

 

Seung-hyun took the documents while Mi-young was blowing the candles. She was so tired she couldn’t have her eyes opened more than a minute. It was a funny sight. Carefully, Seung-hyun opened the blankets of her mattress for her and let her lie down.

 

"Not even my mother used to do that when I was a baby."

 

The King giggled like a kid who was caught doing something naughty.

 

"I’m a child myself, my Queen. Sorry but I do not do what normal people do."

 

She sighted, frustrated, and so tense due to the fatigue that she was unable to stop moving.

 

"Relax and rest, my Queen" he whispered "Good night."

 

"Good night, my King."

 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Taeyeon awoke with every inch of her body in pain, and had to ask for help to Chaerin.

 

"Did he disrespect you?!" Chaerin pressed Taeyeon’s hand a little too much.

 

"Aaaahhhhh! It hurts, Chaerin!" she yelled.

 

"Sorry."

 

"No, he didn’t disrespect me. What a dirty mind you have, Chaerin!"

 

Well… I…" she blushed.

 

"You’re so cute, Chaerin!" she said while hugging her friend, leaving the pain behind. "No… he just went to sleep and forced me to paint all the windows once more. And what a bastard! Each time I tried to escape, he suddenly woke up and yelled!"

 

"My father used to laugh about his strange sleeping habits. When Jiyong was his subordinate, he also did those things, and we laughed at home when father explained it."

 

"I’ve change my mind, you’re so mean!"

 

And they laughed.

 

"EARTH!" Key screamed. "WE ARE HOME!"

 

The calm ship exploded in voices of joy and fast movements. All the crew started to move fast and both Taeyang and Jiyong started to give orders all over the place. With curiosity, the girls left the room and climbed until the main deck and looked through one of the small windows. At the horizon, there was only a dense fog, but, little by little, the mists opened, showing a small with a green mountain in the middle. It was sheer and surrounded by small rocks that Seungri was able to dodge without difficulties.

 

"That might be their hideout" Chaerin supposed. "It’s quite strategic, I must admit."

 

The ship stopped, and the men started to get out with big ropes: it was time to tie up the Silver Dragon.

 

"Can we go outside?" she asked to Jiyong, who was busy giving orders.

 

"Yuri! Accompany the ladies."

 

Black Pearl rolled her eyes but followed his brother’s instructions. As they did the night Sandara and Bom died, Yuri climbed through the deck and Chaerin hold Taeyeon tightly, in order to help her to get out from the ship. It was a strange feeling, to get out from that ship for no major reason than curiosity.

 

Once her eyes got used to the bright sun, Taeyeon could see they were at some kind of archipelago, being their island the most isolated one. By the fumes coming out from the other islands, she knew the place was habited, and that made her feel curious… how on earth a band of pirates would live near any type of population? It was too risky.

 

"Welcome to our home, princess Taeyeon" Yuri informed. "Let’s go down."

 

When Taeyeon felt the cold water on her feet, she had felt behind a nightmare, and for once she was free. Then, she remembered why she was in the middle of nowhere, and the feeling fade away.

 

"HOW DARE YOU TO HAVE A PRINCESS IN SUCH A STATE?! YOU MONSTERS!"

 

The shock in both Chaerin’s and Taeyeon’s faces was undescriptable. They didn’t hear that voice for seven years. The voice of one of the strongest women they ever met: Lee Hyori. She was a wild spirit, who served the bizarre lord Kim Heechul. Rumors said she came from a tribe of older shamans who were able to control the wind, and, just as a breeze, one day, she vanished.

 

"But nuna…" Seungri, who had helped Chaerin to descend from the ship, said.

 

"Don’t come here with the “but, nuna”, okay? You are old enough now, young man! No excuses! They smell like rotten kimchi! Ladies can’t smell like rotten kimchi…"

 

"I smell like rotten kimchi too, unnie" Yuri said.

 

"But it’s difficult to classify you inside the lady category, sweetheart."

 

"Ouchhh… that had to hurt, sister!"

 

"Really, Seungri? Let’s see if that hurts you more…"

 

And Yuri started to chase Seungri all over the beach, finally getting her prey under the water. They weren’t near, but the clap he received hurt even by only looking at it.

 

"Come with me ladies, a warm bath awaits you."

 

They walked through a sheer road for about ten minutes, only to find some humble houses made with wood and hay, which surrounded a big death fire. The houses were built over a small platform, so the monsoon wouldn’t destroy them. Before the entrance, small porches made the vision quite welcoming.

 

"Appa!" a small boy, no more than ten years old screamed while running.

 

"Hanbin!" Taeyang exclaim the moment he took the boy in his arms. "Have you lost another tooth?"

 

And the boy smiled widely, so his father could see his holes.

 

"Come with me, ladies. Let the families reunite."

 

A bunch of small children and women got out from the humble houses, but the ladies weren’t able to see more because they were already inside Hyori’s house.

 

"Seung-wan, please. Look for some decent clothes for these ladies."

 

"Yes, mother." a cute little girl, about the same age as Crown Prince Jeongwaan answered.

 

"Here you have everything you need to tidy up, if you need some help, I’ll be outside."

 

Because she still remembered the rituals from the Joseon court, Hyori bowed to the princess and left without turning her back on.

 

"What.is.lady.hyori.doing.here?!" Chaerin asked.

 

"Maybe that’s why disappeared years ago, to leave Joseon with the Silver Dragons…" but, it wasn’t the moment to think, and Taeyeon’s head was about to explode. "And women and children? Seriously? Everything is confusing. Assh… my head."

 

"I don’t think we’ll get the answers today, Taeyeon. Let’s recompose a little and then we’ll try to find out".

 

"Good idea."

 

After more than one month without a proper bath, the reflection Taeyeon saw on the mirror alarmed her. Her white skin was covered by dirt and dry sweat, her silky hair had disappeared and now she had something similar to a scrub over her head. But, what pissed her more where her hands: dry and destroyed. At the palace, Taeyeon used to paint ceramic, so she needed precision and soft hands to achieve good results. And, after spoiling them, she feared she wouldn’t be able to paint with the abilities she used to have.

 

Luckily, after the bath, her skin recovered a little, and her braided hair made her look human again.

 

"Thanks to all the Gods!" Chaerin exclaimed.

 

"You look very pretty now, Chaerin."

 

At home, people used to mock Chaerin looks: her eyes were too small, her nose too big… She was already used to it, but, somehow, as time passed, her features softened a little. Also, her more mature aura gave her an image of an honorable woman. And, one day, Chaerin stopped to hear bad comments about her looks, as if her inner beauty shined more than the rest.

 

"Thanks, Taeyeon."

 

"Aigo! You are back, ladies!" Hyori smiled, with new clothes for them. "I know those dresses pale in comparison with the ones you usually wear, ladies… but…"

 

"These would be perfect, lady Hyori" Chaerin thanked her.

 

"Oh! I’m not a lady."

 

"Sometimes a title isn’t necessary to be one, lady Hyori."

 

The woman smirked and helped the two girls to get dressed, her daughter marveled about the fact there was a princess at her humble home.

 

"If I make any mistake, just let me know, princess" and she tied Taeyeon’s skirt.

 

"Don’t worry Seung-wan. It’s perfect."

 

And the young girl smiled.

 

"Hyori nuna! We’re hungry!"

 

Seungri entered to the room, without warning anyone, the girls not yet fully-dressed. That moment, Taeyeon swore she had never seen something as scary as Lee Hyori getting mad.

 

"HOW DARE YOU TO ENTER WITHOUT WARNING, YOU SUPREME ! WHAT KIND OF HUMAN BEING ARE YOU?! Assshhh… I WOULD SLAP YOU, BUT THAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED ANIMAL ABUSE! YOU MONKEY! GEEEET OUUUT!"

 

On the other hand, Chaerin found Hyori’s scolding so funny that she couldn’t hold her laughs, and, as if there was no tomorrow, she felt on the floor, unable to stop. That hurt Seungri’s pride even more than Hyori, so he left; trying to preserve the little pride he had left.

 

"Chaerin…" Taeyeon whispered, afraid her friend would stop breathing or something. She had really burst herself into laughing.

 

"Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha…"

 

"Chaerin…"

 

"Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha…"

 

"Chaerin!"

 

"Sorry…" and she whipped her tears "it was just too funny: animal abuse, je, je…"

 

At sunset, everyone met around the big fire, and the women started to cook some vegetables. Everyone sat around, talking and celebrating they were once more reunited. Taeyeon looked at the people around her: there were five women including Hyori, and about the same number of children, two of them were sure Taeyang’s kids, because he couldn’t stop playing with them. The more she scrutinized the scene, the less she understood.

 

"These people are the family members of the Silver Dragons, princess" Jiyong, who perceived Taeyeon’s confusion, informed her. "The ones who are still alive."

 

"But…" she couldn’t understand. "Why follow a criminal path, then? It isn’t safe for their families."

 

"Because they had no choice: they were unfairly judged."

 

"But… our laws are fair…"

 

Jiyong sighed, got a little to closer and pointed at Choi Min-Ho. Taeyeon looked at him with discretion, trying not to look at Jiyong. He was so close to her that a single movement and her noses would have touched. The pirate didn’t seem to notice, because he started to explain Choi Min-Ho’s story to Taeyeon, in a whisper. Min-Ho suffered too much and Jiyong didn’t want him to hear once more about dark stories.

 

"Min-Ho was the bastard son of a rich man. But, since his wife’s family took it as an offence, especially because he was older than the legitimate son, they planned to kill him. His mother saved him and distracted his assassins while she was captured and sold as a slave. Min-Ho told the authorities, but his father’s family paid to the messenger and he burnt the demand."

 

Taeyeon remembered when she used to visit her brother at his office. She liked to go there to have some tea and distract his brother for a while: she knew him well and if nobody insisted, he would just work non-stop from sunrise until sunset. And they talked about the same topic: corruption. Seung-hyun and Daesung struggled a lot about it, because, when they were able to clean a tarnished Ministry, another one started to get even more corrupted.  

 

"If my brother knew…"

 

"But the nobles used their power and the King never knew the truth."

 

Unfortunately, it was true. Taeyeon could clearly remember how things were at the Palace and how frustrated her older brothers were when some important news and injustice arrived to them too late.

 

"What happened to Min-Ho’s mother?"

 

"See yourself."

 

And Min-Ho hugged a woman, who had half of her face burned. The look on the pirate’s face was clear: it was his mother.

 

"I found Min-Ho on a slave market fighting against seven soldiers. He tried to get his mother back. He defeated them but was arrested."

 

"Really?"

 

"YoungBae convinced me to rescue him and his mother: he was too talented to let him die for an unfair punishment."

 

"If I could return home, I would fight to avoid these injustices."

 

Jiyong smiled, because, no matter how many years had passed, Taeyeon was still that innocent and kind little girl who followed Sandara and his sister Bo Ah everywhere. Although spoiled because she was the only princess at the palace, she had a kind heart and always tried to help the others. Ever since the first time Jiyong met her.

 

 

__Flashback__

Jiyong was really nervous: it was the first time he was at the Palace because the Second Prince Seung-hyun invited him to spend some days and his friends. He wanted to do a good impression and not embarrass his best friend: Seung-hyun was, after all, a member of the Royal Family. He awoke earlier, so he would have time to practice before the hunting they had that day outside the Palace. Suddenly, he heard some sobs. It was so early that although the sky was getting lighter, the sun hadn’t yet showing.

"Is someone there?" he took out his sword.

"Naree… Naree…"

Slightly, Jiyong walked towards the sobs, and, through the shadows, he could see a little girl, not older than seven, sobbing near a pond.

"Naree…"

He smiled, and by accident his sword felt on the floor, startling the little girl through the process. She turned around, and the red eyes and rosy checks of that girl were so cute that Jiyong felt he wouldn’t mind kicking the of the person who had made her cry. She was so cute it was even painful.

"Who…?"

The little girl seemed to start panicking, and that would cause so many troubles because the Palace would awaken earlier than expected.

"I’m Kwon Jiyong, a Sungkyunkwan and friend of Second Prince Choi Seung-hyun. Do not worry, little girl."

"Are you Seungie’s friend?"

"Seungie?" he was shocked: “how she dare to speak like that about Seung-hyun?! Wait… maybe she’s…” he thought.

"Seungie is my brother. I’m Choi Taeyeon. Hi, Seungie’s friend!"

"Hi, your Royal Highness!" Jiyong said in a whisper, unable to believe how that little girl was so trustworthy she didn’t even thought for a second he could he lying.

"Can you help me, Seungie’s friend?"

Without even asking, princess Taeyeon took the fabric of his tunic and forced him to follow her near the pond. There, the death body of a small fish was carefully lying.

"Can you help me to bury Naree, please, Seungie’s friend? I’ve took the things from the kitchen, but omma told me I can’t do fire so I need an adult."

Does she really thing is alright to sneak into the royal kitchens but not to light a fire? What kind of education is the First Princess receiving?” he thought.

"Your maids will get worried, princess."

"But it’s my friend! And we have to honor our friends! Omma always says that. Please, Seungie’s friend!"

Jiyong couldn’t help it and had to light a fire for the small fish with the materials Taeyeon had brought. The princess was too cute to even try to deny her something. He took a small branch to improvise a torch. While he was lighting it, the princess took a small wood ship from her dress and placed carefully her little friend on it.

"Ready?"

Taeyeon nodded with enthusiasm, and carefully, took the torch. She placed the ship into the water, and, carefully, lighted it.

They observed as the small ship burned, until there was nothing left and the sun started to rise. The princess was bawling without control, covering her eyes with her small arm.

"I promise you Naree I will protect the other fishes with my live!"

And Jiyong smiled. She was too cute to handle.

 

 

__End of Flashback__

 

 

Yes, she had always been this way. Unfortunately, the real world wasn’t as kind as her.

 

"Nice try princess, but it won’t work. You’ll stay here until the monsoon finishes, and, when we get your family’s money, you will return. Then, you can play the game of “how to be a fair ruler”, if you wish. Not a single argument would convince me to set you free."

 

"I wasn’t saying it as an excuse, I really meant it."

 

Taeyeon stood up and entered inside Hyori’s house: she hadn’t enough energy to argue with him.

 

"Why are you so harsh, Jiyong?" YoungBae, who held his sleeping baby daughter in his arms, asked.

 

"She’s a spoiled princess and someone has to show her the ugly truth."

 

"I think that being kidnapped and escaping from a bunch of Japanese pirates who wanted to kill us was an effective way to see the ugly truth."

 

The baby girl awoke and Taeyang though it wasn’t the right time to scold his friend: they were home, and it was time of celebration.

 

"Never forget: it’s not her fault."

 

Little by little, the children leave and the celebration developed into an open air drinking session. Jiyong was lying in one of the porches, pretending he wasn’t listening to the obscenities his crew was saying.

 

"I swear! I saw everything!" Seungri bragged.

 

"Really?" Taehyun didn’t believe him.

 

"Yeeees! Chaerin is as voluptuous as we thought, even more!"

 

"NO WAAAY!?" all exclaimed.

 

And the princess?!- SeungHoon asked.

 

Jiyong pricked up his ears, his hand ready to slap his younger brother.

 

"She isn’t…but… she’s too dreamy to be true!"

 

"Seungri…" Jiyong warned, still lying on the floor.

 

"Her skin was like pearls, I swear!" but he didn’t listen. "Ah! That hurt" so he was kicked.

 

"Woaaah!" the others exclaimed.

 

"Then is true what people say: she’s the prettiest princess we had in generations" Song Min-Ho commented.

 

Although Jiyong couldn’t stand the royal family and he wasn’t the most objective person in the world towards the Joseon dynasty, he had to admit it: Taeyeon had developed from a cute little girl to a really pretty woman. And as his sister always reminded him, women had to be respected because they are the ones who bring live into this world. So he just couldn’t tolerate how his crew was talking about the Princess and Lee Chaerin.

 

"What a pity she has to marry a Chinese prince" Ki Bum said.

 

"Yes…" and all sighed.

 

It was true, and he pitied the princess. He didn’t know a lot about the Chinese court, only the contact who had hired them to kidnap Princess Mi-young. But, rumors said it was one of the worst places on earth: full of ambitious and treacherous people. And, knowing how kind and innocent Taeyeon was, Jiyong feared that once she married the Chinese prince, she wouldn’t live a lot. The Forbidden City wasn’t meant for her. Somehow, he was happy Taeyeon was with them at their Island and not Princess Mi-young: at least she could live longer.

 

"She should marry pretty boy or Choi Min-ho, you know" Seungri suggested.

 

"Why me?!" pretty boy complained.

 

"Yes, why him?!" Jiyong shouted for a second, but, since he shocked everyone, he lied on the floor once more, pretending not to care.

 

"I wouldn’t mind it, honestly" and Min-ho started to think about the possibility.

 

"Because with her looks and your looks, the children would be God level… Imagine our enemies when they see that child: they would be so marveled they will give us everything they had without fighting!"

 

"Exaggerated!" Taemin yelled.

 

"It’s true: it happens with King Seung-hyun too." Seungri argumented. "When he was standing alone, he looked so handsome even I seemed ugly. ME! UGLY! And everyone obeyed without hesitation." 

 

"Is it true the King is THAT handsome?!"

 

"Na-Eun!" Taemin complained.

 

"Just because I’m with you it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate beauty, Taemin. Please! Seungri! Tell me!"

 

"I looked like a malformation of nature beside him! Like, seriously, me! I understand my brother, but… Ahhh, it hurt!"

 

Jiyong kicked his younger brother’s , because he had already reached the limit of embarrassment.

 

"No more obscenities or I will awake Yuri, and you know how delighted she is when anyone awakes her" he skimmed to everyone. "You have one day off only, so rest properly."

 

"But, brother…"

 

"EVERYONE!"

 

And with his lasts words, the party was over.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Taeyeon couldn’t sleep: every time she tried, nightmares haunted her. Usually, she dreamed about the day Sandara and Bom died, but now, when she closed her eyes, all she saw was the Royal Ship and the Thunder, screaming her name, asking her to come back home. But, somehow, she couldn’t.

 

Since sleeping wasn’t an option, she decided to wake up, and breathe some fresh air. There were still some Silver Dragons talking, and then… she listened to all their conversation.

 

"I swear! I saw everything!" Seungri bragged.

 

"Really?" she heard Taehyun’s voice.

 

"Yeeees! Chaerin is as voluptuous as we thought, even more!"

 

"NO WAAAY!?" all exclaimed. And Taeyeon blushed.

 

"And the princess?!" SeungHoon asked.

 

Oh, no! I don’t want to listen to this. C’mon Taeyeon, think about another thing… What thing? Well… Let’s sing songs mentally, that will work.” But, unfortunately it didn’t work, so she heard everything.

 

"She isn’t…but… she’s too dreamy to be true!"

 

"Seungri…" Jiyong warned, and Taeyeon hoped he was able to stop his younger brtoher.

 

"Her skin was like pearls, I swear!" but he didn’t listen. "Ah! That hurt" so he was kicked.

 

"Woaaah!" the others exclaimed.

 

And if she had slightly blushed before, now, her face was as red as her dress. Unable to control her embarrassment, she hid her head between her legs, and started to kick the floor, frustrated. “How will I be able now to act normal in front of them? Why do men have to talk about these things?!

 

"Then is true what people say: she’s the prettiest princess we had in generations" Song Min-Ho commented.

 

"What a pity she has to marry a Chinese prince" Ki Bum said.

 

Taeyeon’s heart stopped for a moment, and remembered that, it was likely her marriage plans’ will continue as planned. She knew the fact that her reputation had been compromised wasn’t really that important. Bo Ah told her, not so long ago, that when the women’s position is crucial for exchanges, it doesn’t matter if she’s still a or not when she marries. That sometimes, even widows remarry because of political interests. Only they had to do is wait a year to make sure she wasn’t pregnant or something and then Taeyeon would leave Joseon to marry the Chinese prince.

 

Of course it was her decision: no way would she have allowed sending her little niece to the Forbidden City. Still, the simple idea to return to a golden cage… it scared her. But, she was a Joseon Princess and would accept her destiny no matter what.

 

So lost she was at her thoughts that she didn’t noticed everyone went to sleep. And suddenly, the night became all hers.

 

Taeyeon touched the wet soil with her bared feet, and started walking through the calm houses, thinking about her future and how to solve this situation and return home.

 

She analyzed the small island, the full moon helped her to see the land where she was kept was steep and surrounded by a permanent fog. She didn’t know if she was near other islands, and her lack of nautical knowledge made her escape through the see almost impossible: Chaerin and she will be death in less than a few hours.

 

"There must be another way…"

 

She walked and walked, analyzing the terrain and observing any corner: maybe she could find something useful.

 

"AAaAhhh! I WANT TO GO HOME!" she screamed to the moon.

 

She was so angry she didn’t realize there was a hole near her and felt.

 

"Excellent, Taeyeon! Just excellent!"

 

The hole was too high for her to climb it, so, for a second, Taeyeon thought she was trapped inside.

 

"I need to return! What would they do to Chaerin if I’m not there?"

 

A sudden gust of wind alerted Taeyeon who started to palp through the dark until she found a small tunnel.

 

"If there’s wind, this must have some type of exit."

 

Taeyeon crawled for the ten longest minutes of her life, scared of getting trapped inside that narrow tunnel and unable to move. But, luckily, at the end, the tunnel abruptly stopped, giving her the chance to move freely. Since some moon light illuminated the place, Taeyeon could identify a small cave, which was surprisingly dry: all the soil cracked on her bare feet.

 

Once again, the wind blow and she followed the sound until she found the current of air. It was so dry Taeyeon had to cover her face with one of her sleeves, because the dust couldn’t let her breathe properly. The weeds made it difficult to continue walking, but Taeyeon traversed them, determined to get out from that place.

 

"FINALLY!"

 

The moon was shining and she found herself quite far from the base camp.

 

"That cave is really well-hidden and dry…" and she thought for a second. "That cave is really well-hidden and dry!"

 

With a wide smile on her face, Taeyeon started to run to the base camp, ecstatic because she had just came up with an idea that could work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: today I’m not going to do a “hint of history”, just clarify everyone’s age. You need to understand before men and women became parents at a really young age.

  • Choi Seung-hyun: he’s 29 and became king when he was 17. That might help you to understand why he needs to be in control: he was young when he became king, so he was surrounded by manipulative people.
  • Qing Mi-young, Choi Taeyeon: they are 22. Quite old for their time, but, sometimes, when a woman was an important political weapon, the time of her marriage usually was delayed: it was really difficult to find the right candidate without unbalancing the balance.
    • I know they are older but I had to change their ages because it would have been impossible for a woman to get married after she was 25.
  • Chaerin and Yuri are also 22. If in Korea age is still important and determines friends’ relationships, imagine in the past. They wouldn’t have been able to be friends.
  • Kwon Bo Ah and Yunho. They are 30.
  • Kwon Jiyong and Dong YoungBae: 28.
  • Sandara and Bom. When they died they were 23, so they would be 30 at the moment of the story with Tiffany at court.
  • Shinee and Winner members. They a little bit younger than the real ones. Between 19 and 16.
  • Seungri: he’s 25.
  • Crown Prince Jeongwan: he’s 11.
  • Second Princess Ha Yi: 9.
  • Third Prince Yeon Jun: 7.

The rest of the characters keep their real ages.