And so it begins...

The Silver Dragons

Chapter 1. And so it begins…

 

The King descended from his horse so fast that Princess Qing Mi-young blushed slightly: he looked so fierce, so angry and yet so worried that his gaze was unbearable. Without losing his proper manners, he asked with his deep and rich voice:

 

"What happened, Princess?"

 

Mi-young hesitated, because King Seung-hyun wasn’t even blinking and that gaze made her nervous. It looked as if there was so much in his mind, yet, he will never share his burdens.

 

"We… mmm… were…"

 

"Your Majesty". First Lady Kwon Bo Ah, with her serene and sweet aura interrupted. "We weren’t even near the coast line, yet The Silver Dragons attacked us."

 

"The Silver Dragons?"

 

"Since First Princess" she continued her explanation "knows how important your marriage to Princess Qing Mi-young is" as always, her loyalty to the crown made her clarify that Mi-young hadn’t had any clue about the rapt. "She confused the pirates by replacing her clothes and pretended she was the Chinese lady".

 

For an instant, the King let his emotions won and Mi-young could see a man haunted by painful memories. But he returned to be the ruthless monarch the princess knew in a split second.

 

"I never expected that from him…"

 

And everyone nodded, making Mi-young wonder why everyone seemed to know something important except her.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Seven years before…

 

 

"My beautiful Arang!" Royal Concubine Bom yelled while faking a deep baritone voice, making the young royals laugh. "Lee Sang Sa exclaimed watching the tears of joy of the ghost".

 

"My lovely Sang-Sa…"

 

First Palace Lady Kwon Bo Ah tried to carry on with the theatre, but she was too shy to continue, although their audience was small and too sleepy to saw her acting flaws.

 

"Asshh, First Palace Lady, I should have believed you when you told me you had no talent for acting. Don’t worry, I will finish the story" and she looked at the royal children. "But you need to promise me that you will be good, okay?"

 

Royal Concubine Bom cleared and started to make her funny gestures once more.

 

"Arang whispered, making the curtains swing with her words… Fate has a cruel way to treat us all… Why would you say that my Lady?"

 

"Because, my magistrate, my time in the world of the living is about to expire. Thank you, thank you kindly for your courage and integrity: now I can rest in peace"

 

"But I love you, Lady Arang. How could I carry on if I don’t have you by my side?"

 

"Both human and ghost shared an intense gaze, while the beautiful Arang started to disappear. The witnesses couldn’t hold their tears watching poor Lee Sang-Sa losing all hope".

 

"If the God allow us, if you live an honorable life, we will be together".

 

Those last words touched Queen Sandara’s heart, and, as if she was another witness of the dialogue between the two lovers, she also had to hold her tears. Concubine Bom was a good actress and also a good observer, because with discretion, she looked at the Queen, as if the conclusion of the story was only meant for her.

 

"And Lee Sang-Sa lived an exemplary life: he married, had children and served the nation with passion until his last breath. And, when the Gods claimed him in their kingdom… his lovely Arang was waiting for him".

 

Concubine Bom bowed to her small audience and she received a small ovation for her good acting. Faking humility, she expressed her gratitude.

 

"Thank you my lovely public, thank you, thank you… You flatter me!"

 

"Omma, sleep!"

 

Second Princess Hayi yawned and the theatre was over: she was the spoiled lady of the Palace, and if she was sleepy, everyone had to go to bed.

 

"Ladies, would you mind to send the royal children to sleep?" 

 

Everyone turned around after hearing that deep voice: the king was looking at the scene, with lovely eyes and a wide smile. He looked even more handsome.

 

"Your majesty!" and everyone bowed.

 

"Appa!" Princess Hayi said while asking him to pick her up.

 

"How is my princess today?"

 

"Sleep, appa".

 

"Okay" and he browsed Lady Bo Ah. "Could you and the other maids put the royal children to sleep?"

 

I don’t want to sleep!" Crown Prince Jeongwan complained. "I want to play with you, father".

 

"Come here! Young Prince!" 

 

He left Queen Sandara’s, his mother, side and went frightened towards the king. But, although King Seung-hyun had proved that he was a tough leader in his two years of reign…

 

"Do you want to sleep with me today?" the King suggested while he offered his other arm to the prince.

 

"Hayi too?" the toddler questioned, he adored his younger sister.

 

"As the Crown Prince wishes".

 

The little and cute prince looked at Queen Sandara looking for her approval. He was a filial and loyal son, who looked for others happiness before his own. Although it was going to be the first day since Jeongwan was born that he wouldn’t sleep in the Queen’s palace and she was afraid, the Crown Prince looked so happy that she had to agree.

 

"Okay, but just for tonight".

 

And so the king left the two women of the palace alone with their maids, with two happy children in his arms.2

 

"I shall go Concubine Bom" the queen said while standing. "You have just given birth to Prince YeonJun and I want you to rest. Sorry if we fatigued you today.

 

"Not at all, My Lady. Your presence enlightened my mood today. Is difficult to lie down all day and I missed my daughter".

 

There was an agreement between the two women: since they were foster cousins and they used to play together, they tried to keep a cordial relationship. And although there was a bit of tension because of their children’s future, Sandara and Bom had a better relationship than the Dowager Queen, Uhm Jung Hwa, had with her late husband’s concubine.   

 

"Nevertheless, I will ask my physician and shaman to check your health tomorrow".

 

"Thank you kindly, Your Majesty".

 

"Would you mind if tomorrow I come with the royal children to your quarters again?"

 

"Of course not, Your Majesty" she confirmed with a beautiful eye-smile. "I hope the story I interpreted for you today has reached you".

 

"Indeed, Royal Concubine Bom, indeed. Thank you for your amazing skills with the children. I shall leave now."

 

Queen Sandara went out of the room with her maids and enjoyed the chill spring night. The flowers of the Palace garden’s had already blossomed and their fragrance intoxicated the air. She could hear the smiles of Jeongwan and Hayi in the King’s chambers, and her melancholy fade away.

 

"Is the gift for the new Prince ready?" she asked to Kwon Bo Ah.

 

"Yes, your majesty."

 

"Good."

 

Queen Sandara didn’t mind that her husband, King Seung-hyun took Lady Park Bom as his concubine and conceived his children: they loved each other since they saw each other four years ago, and she, who knew how terrible living without your beloved one was, encouraged the King to take that decision. He complained, but Queen Sandara was known for her ability to convince people.

 

-Flashback-

 

"I can’t dishonor you this way, my Queen" he protested when Sandara proposed him the idea.

 

"After the birth of our Jeongwan the physicians told me I won’t be able to bear more children. Do it for the duty towards your nation, then."

 

He hesitated, but his eyes were full of hope: his dream to be with his beloved Park Bom and the approval of his childhood friend and wife made him daydream of the possible happy days to come.

 

"I will make you miserable."

 

"The day we were forced to marry our lives became miserable. Don’t worry for me, my King. Jeongwan has brightened my world and I want us all to be happy. For the nation’s sake and for ourselves."  

 

-End of Flashback-

 

So there she was, walking at night with a smile in her lips, thinking about her beloved son, who was just like her. The Mugunghwas were incredible beautiful that night, so Sandara decided to enjoy their fragrance.

 

"You look happy today, my Queen."

 

Both women jumped a bit, scared. In theory, there were only Kwon Bo Ah and Queen Sandara in the gardens, but after the moon cleared up, they saw Major General Kwon Jiyong in the dark. He smelled of blood and sweat, but his natural scent reached the Queen’s nose, and she felt in peace.

 

"They told me this time the Pirates were really strong…"

 

"Yes, they were, my Queen, but we are better."

 

"We were uneasy in the Palace" Sandara whispered, letting him know that she has been deadly worried about his safety.

 

Kwon Bo Ah pretended to look with attention to the stars to let the forbidden lovers share a small moment without feeling observed.

 

"But you were happy, my Queen."

"I was thinking in my son. He’s thrilled because he’s going to stay with the King."

 

"The King is very proud of him."

 

"And also proud of you, General Major. You never fail when you need to defeat the pirates."

 

Sandara complimented him and Jiyong slightly blushed: he was a man of war and action, so he wasn’t used to compliments like this because all he ever received were small nods of approbation of his superiors, who changed the subject fast and went to prepare the next task.

 

"Your brother was of great help: he defeated almost five men all alone. And he’s only fifteen! He’s as sharp as a Thunder. You should be proud too."

 

 "Thank you, Major General."

 

They gazed for some minutes, with glances so intense that even Bo Ah, who wasn’t watching, could feel the tension and the sensation of interrupting something too intimate. 

 

"The flowers and the moon look as beautiful as you, my Queen."

 

Kwon Jiyong faced his fears, clipped a Mugunghwa from the bush and placed it tenderly in the Queen’s hair. Afraid someone might see them, Sandara raised her hand and their fingers touched for a second. Their first physical contact in all those years. Shivers went down them, but, seeing the danger in the situation, the First Palace Lady decided to interrupt everything.

 

"We should go, your Majesty. It’s getting late."

 

Sandara seemed to resist but finally acceded to follow the advices of her maid and best friend.

 

"I love my brother too much to see him being accused of treason, Sandara."

 

When there was no-one around, both women left the ceremonies behind and behaved as best friend should: equally. Also, Bo Ah knew it that when she called the queen by her name, she always recovered her common sense.  

 

"I understand, Bo Ah. I understand."

 

And once she was safe in her room, Queen Sandara wished that, as in the story of Arang and The Magistrate, she and her Jiyoung could be together in another life.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

"Lady Chaerin, where are you? Lady Chaerin!?"

 

"Booh!"

 

Under the palace columns, a ghost with a scary demon mask made appearance, scaring Princess Taeyeon.

 

"Whaaaaaaaaa! Whaaaaaa!" she screamed.

 

"Calm, my lady, calm please!"

 

Lee Chaerin took of her mask and let her cute teenager face shine through her sweaty forehead. Choi Taeyeon calmed immediately and looked angrily at her friend.

 

"You should be punished! How dare you to scare a princess this way, is not fair, Chaerin."

 

"It’s me, Taeyeon. You know I love to annoy you."

 

"But you shouldn’t treat a princess like this, Lady Lee!"

 

The sharp yet sweet voice of First Palace Lady Bo Ah echoed in the gardens, scaring the two girls. She looked serene, but both girls knew it was when she had her best poker face when everyone should be afraid.

 

"You are missing your sewing lessons, my princess…"

 

"But it’s such a lovely spring day! I wanted to go to the royal gardens to pick some medicinal herbs."

"You can go after your classes are finished. Duty is important, my lady."

 

"I know Lady Bo Ah. Yes, you are right… We are going to find the teacher and continue our lessons."

 

Before Lady Bo Ah finished her bowing, she stared at the two girls and said, without rasing her voice:

 

"Come with me, Lady Chaerin. As the future Second Palace Lady there’s so much more you need to learn before joining the princess… Accepting your punishments should be a good start."

 

Lee Chaerin gulped and followed Kwon Bo Ah with modesty and avoiding eye-contact. Taeyeon watched them as they disappeared, but, before they entered again to the East Palace, Chaerin turned and showed her best “don’t worry, I’ll be alright” smile to the princess.

 

"Taeyeon…"

 

Another voice, this time sweeter, made her turn her back: Royal Concubine Bom was standing before her, fully recovered after giving birth to her boy.

 

"Orabeoni!"

 

"You and Lady Chaerin again, you are already sixteen, my princess. You should behave, poor First Palace Lady."

 

"Where are you going Royal Concubine?"

 

"I am going to drink tea with the King and my brothers, would you like to join us?"

 

"Yes!"

 

"And your lessons?" Park Bom's raised a brow.

 

"Later, later."

 

With giggles, both ladies arrived to the East porch, were several men were surrounding the King and his friends. After seeing him there, Princess Taeyeon’s heart stopped, then... suddenly it started beating out of control: he was there too!

 

"Queen Sandara is supervising the preparations for the gifts she will send to the orphans, sorry, gentlemen. But, luckily I found the First Princess on my way here."

 

"Orabeonis!" she bowed. "Lord Park Dong-wook, Lord Park Chanyeol, Major General Kwon Jiyong it is a pleasure to meet you once again."

 

The afternoon was spent with a few sweets and Concubine’s Bom playing the Gayageum. Since she was still a maid and was on a meeting of men, she sat near her older brothers, speaking with them and Park Bom occasionally. But destiny made her lucky that day: as Chief Security Kwon HyunSuk and his son, Kwon Jiyong, were sitting next to her.

 

"I heard all your troops have returned safe after a combat-ship with the pirates, Major General."

 

"Indeed, your Majesty."

 

"I am happy to hear that."

 

I am having my first real conversation ever with Major General!” she thought while tried to keep her facial expressions calmed and indifferent. But deep inside her there was an emotional battle. When did her emotional struggle begin? Well, Major General was a dear childhood friend of her oldest brother, the King, so she supposed that it was during the days he covered up her pranks, or the days he used to interpret plays with Park Bom on the rainy days where she couldn’t go out to play with Chaerin and Yuri. No, it was when he came back from Sungkyunkwan, all grown up and in his official armor. It was then when she stopped seeing a childhood friend and felt in love.

 

After the afternoon was over, the princess returned to her chambers and saw a distressed Chaerin harassing her .

 

"First Palace Lady was mean! She hit me stronger than I thought. Where were you, Princess? Our teacher said you didn’t go to class."

 

"I was with my brothers."

 

"Was HIM there?" she giggled.

 

Taeyeon nodded and her friend exploded, asking hundreds of questions that the princess tried to answer as detailed as possible.

 

"Wow! Did He speak with you almost exclusively?"

 

"Yes… but because I was talking with the King too, honestly… they were almost speaking all the time together and I just nodded."

 

"But he spoke with you, Princess! Maybe he loves you back! Tomorrow we need to explain it to Yuri, she will be thrilled!"

 

"Maybe…" Taeyeon wept.

 

But, she was able to witness a few weeks ago that Chaerin was wrong in her suppositions: her love would never be returned. Yes, Taeyeon saw in one of her nocturnal trips withYuri, how Major General Kwon Jiyong placed a flower in the Queen’s hair. But, since she couldn’t help it but and loved him even more, without feeling betrayed nor sad… and only in her dreams this man was hers.

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

Three hooded figures walked in the middle of the night, surrounded by the silent streets of Hanseong. They meet almost in the city border’s, inside an abandoned house. The rats and bats were their only companions. They were taking in whispers, because the spoken-words were filled by treason, and if someone listened to them, their lives would be in danger. It was for the nation’s sake… or at least, that was what they tried to believe.

 

"I have received a message from the Emperor.

 

"Written by his own hand? wow! You are influential!"

 

"Of course not, your idiot: it was his secretary"

 

"What does he say about our plan?"

 

"He agrees it’s our best option?"

 

"He understands the consequences of our actions?"

 

"Yes, he does. And he has started to get ready: the Chinese princess from the Hwang Clan has already started to improve Korean."

 

"He’s serious indeed…"

 

"He needs Joseon as a vassal nation, too many inner conflicts to focus in his borders right now."

 

"And our prize?"

 

"New lands in the Northern Provinces, officially inherited by older landers who had no issue to keep their rental contracts."

 

"Who will do it?"

 

"Since he doesn’t want any problems, himself."

 

"The Emperor himself?"

 

"How could it be the emperor himself, you stupid?! He’s going to send Huang Qi Zhen."

 

The three hooded froze in fear and one of them spoke with incredulity.

 

"I thought it was a myth…"

 

"Seriously, you are useless… How are we working with someone so stupid, my lady?"

 

"Shut up!"

 

Huang Qi Zhen, the ruthless assassin of Emperor Qing Geng. Gossips spoke about him everywhere, and even storytellers were starting to create plays using him as the main villain. Rumors said he was in charge of the last purge of the Ming’s, who were hiding from the new emperors. Maybe he just didn’t kill all of them, but the brutality of the murders was so shocking that it’s used to scare both children and adults.

 

"But… someone needs to be blamed.·

 

"The Emperor said in his letter that he will send also Qi Zhen’s son, who will help us with all the fake evidences and witnesses. He’s young but even more promising than his father.·

 

"Where does the emperor find this scary people? It gives me goosebumps."

 

"None of my business. They will do their job and blame someone else. And our positions in court will improve and also the nation’s stability, so… who cares?"

 

"The other two nodded, a bit scared of the coldness of their crime partner. But, that hooded person was right. The end justifies the means. And, in the end, a stronger and better Joseon would rise."

 

They talked for hours, preparing all the details and their alibies, just to make their stories credible. At dawn, the three figures parted ways, without noticing that a small little girl, with flat nose and chubby checks was looking. Unfortunately, that girl was too young back then to understand what she saw, so the plan those shadows prepared with the Chinese Emperor was successful, and tragedy King’s Choi Seung-hyun court.