Chapter 5

Black Rooks in the Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They haven't spoken to each other in a month. At least properly. It is only through hasty greetings and furtive glances that each keeps a track of the other. It is too soon to try and understand what's happening, Su Bin thinks. Its Yoo Rachel's brother, its Young Do for god's sake! Young Do who drinks too much—like her; who's a terrible dancer—again, like her. Who's—uncomfortably rich! And who's—who's Young Do for god's sake!

But there had been—moments—if you can call them that even during this probation period.

Young Do offering to drop her home late at night—though she had politely rejected his offer.

Him laughing at her jokes—even her unfunny ones. Him—Him—

It was nothing, Young Do thinks but he can feel something. He doesn't want to be alone in this. Again. So he waits. Is it waiting? What I'm doing? He asks himself. He doesn't want to wait. So don't, he tells himself. But what if? What if—? He stops.

But there had been moments—Young Do argues. He knows it. He knows that she—might also feel the same. No, she definitely does. Or maybe. He isn't sure. He thinks back to the time he had come home unexpectedly to find her—also alone. Rachel had gone to the bathroom.

Young Do pulls his coat out and begins to his cuffs and collar. He wonders if Su Bin is watching. Su Bin is absorbed, quite unnaturally, in her phone. He smirks. She's been watching, alright.

"Rachel odiya?" Where's Rachel? He asks.

Young Do sits down next to her. He sees her see him from the corner of her eye.

"Yaan, talk to me, what are you doing on your phone?"

She finally looks up. "Whe?" she says.

"Ani," Nothing, he smirks.

So when Su Bin is greeted by Young Do's voice, she starts surprised. She wasn't expecting him. At his own hotel. She wants to roll her eyes at her own logic but she had been told that he'd be at home. But it had been by Rachel who was really busy when sh asked and therefore snappy at Su Bin's interrogation.

Su Bin feels her body stiffen and she cannot escape the awkward smile that covers her face.

"Su Bin-a, non yogi whe innya?" Why are you here? Young Do asks.

"R-Rachel and Jun Ah told me they'd meet me here," Su Bin nods, smiling. Doesn't he have somewhere to go? Or were they finally over what had happened last time? Or was she the only one ignoring him? No, it wasn't. Even Young Do had been avoiding her. She was sure of it. His flighty shifty eyes and the way he would always conveniently be busy with some work when she came over—the Young Do who so delighted himself in confrontations and always forcing his presence on others. Of course, of course he was also avoiding her. So why did he even greet her now? Was he over it? Was it time to be over it? Perhaps then she should too. Be over it.

"What about you?"

"I came to meet someone for work," Young Do says taking a seat next to her in the lounge. "I was just about to leave but I spotted you."

"Oh," Su Bin says awkwardly, not knowing what to say. "H-how have you been? I haven't seen much of you." Yes, address the issue lightly and then it's all water under the bridge.

Young Do smirks, his eyes casually glazing over the area before they come back to settle on her. "I can say the same about you."

"Yeah, I've been busy with submissions. I'm good though, thanks for asking," she adds sarcastically and before he can say anything, quickly adds, "and how's Myung Soo?"

Young Do's face twitches—was it annoyance? Su Bin doesn't hold back the smile that comes to her face because of the satisfaction she feels at his annoyance. "He's fine."

"We text sometimes—but rarely. Sometimes he spams me with these crazy videos and pictures. Talking about pictures—he's such a good photographer! I haven't seen him in so long! The last time I saw him—," Su Bin stops short. It was at the party. The party. 

"Hmm?" Young Do says, his eyebrows raised. He hadn't been paying attention—almost a rude disinterest had taken away his attention from her. But seeing the panic on her face made him focus. What had he missed? "What did you say?" Young Do tries to recall for he thinks he can guess the reason for her panic. Did she say something she did not want him to hear? But hadn't she been talking about Myung Soo? Something about photos and—ah. Yes.

"The party? Hmm, it's been long. We should have another."

"No thanks. I don't even remember much of what happened."

"Don't you now?" Young Do asks wryly, almost muttering under his breath. But he doesn't push. "When did Rachel say she'll come?"

Su Bin feels annoyed at his question. Did he want to leave? Was he just keeping her company to be polite? "Yaan, you can leave if you want, you don't need to—,"

"Oh, can I? That's great. I'll see you then."

"Yaan!" Su Bin cries out annoyed, when Young Do actually gets up to leave.

"What?" he asks. She's annoyed and wants to punch him. She's annoyed that she's annoyed. She's annoyed that she's feeling all of these feelings while he's just—he's just there—t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter