Chapter 3

Black Rooks in the Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Young Do takes out a cigarette and lights it. "Still hanging around here, I see?" Kim Tan asks, coming into view. Young Do took a long drag and blew it into the air. He had ten minutes before the store owner spotted him on the camera.

"What do you want?" Young Do asks. He had to leave for a meeting in a half hour. He had to change his clothes in ten.

"Nothing just the pleasure of your company," Kim Tan says sarcastically. He has already seated himself in front of Young Do. Young Do smirks lightly before taking another drag.

He sees Kim Tan eye his cigarette. Young Do raises his eyebrows and offers it to him. Kim Tan shakes his head. "I quit a long time ago."

Young Do shrugged his shoulders. "That girl from before...," Kim Tan says hesitantly, "Is she your girlfriend?"

Young Do puts the cigarette out. "No." He hasn't thought of Su Bin in quite some time; hasn't seen her around much. Maybe because he'd been busy attending meetings because his father had agreed to not send him to America if Young Do started work right away.

"Jeguk group has a meeting tomorrow. Heard you're going to be there. I need your vote in the next meeting against----"

"The school principal's," Young Do finishes for him. "You got it."

Kim Tan eyes which were earlier casually surveying the area now snapped to Young Do's face. "Really," he asks skeptical.

"Really," Young Do confirms. "You don't need to worry. We don't have any conflicts between us."

Kim Tan doesn't say anything, though his face reveals he doesn't entirely believe Choi Young Do. Young Do thinks Kim Tan is about to put forth another stupid comment but instead hears him ask, "Isn't that the girl from before?"

Young Do turns around to look at the place Kim Tan is pointing at. It is Su Bin. She is sitting on the pavement, her head on her knees. She looks... like she was crying. Young Do finds himself frozen. He hasn't ever imagined that someone like Su Bin could ever experience grief. She always seemed so easy going.

He watches, frozen, as Kim Tan makes his way to her. "Hey, are you okay?" He asks her. Young Do sees Su Bin's head snap up in surprise and her body recoil at the intrusion. She doesn't seem to recognize Kim Tan. She hasn't seen Young Do yet.

Young Do watches as Su Bin stands up, angry and seemingly scared. "Who are you?"

"Auh, you don't recognize me? I'm Kim Tan...we met briefly at dinner the other day. Young Do's friend."

Su Bin who had been looking extremely suspicious all this while seemed to finally recognize Kim Tan. She relaxes.  "Auh, ye, ye," she wipes her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

She nods, looking embarrassed. "Yeah, don't worry about it. I was just missing home."

"Auh, khure so? Are you okay now?" Kim Tan asks, again.

"Yes, thank you," Su Bin gives him a watery smile, "I should leave now."

Xxx

"Why didn't you show yourself?" Kim Tan asked. Young Do shrugged.

"I wasn't sure if I would be of any help. I'm not good at consoling or comforting."

"Maybe you should try it the next time."

Young Do saw Su Bin in the park, swinging alone. She looked upset. He sighed as he made his way to her.

"Yaan, what are you doing here ?"

Su Bin looked up, startled. "I'm just sitting here."

"So early in the morning.".

She raised her eyebrows like to say, what about you?

Young Do sniggered. "Want me to call Kim Bum?"

"Whe?"

"To relieve your sadness?"

Su Bin laughed. "Ani, na gwenchana. It's just my face that makes me look like that."

Young Do scoffed shaking his head. "Khure khrom."

"Khrom khure."

He smiled lightly, amused, at their private joke. "Whe khure?" He asked finally. Su Bin, with her eyes downcast, shook her head lightly and stared straight ahead. "I don't know," She finally said.

Young Do was surprised by her answer. He thought she would say the same thing she told Kim Tan. He wanted to hold her hand but he couldn't. It was not a good idea.

Young Do stared at the same point she was staring at. Slowly she start swinging. Young Do watched as her legs dangled and struggled to push herself forward and backward. It was quite pathetic. She seemed tired. He decided to help

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter