Chapter 1

Black Rooks in the Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Su Bin loves Jun Ah since the first day they'd met. She is a pure sweet soul and a fun person to hang out with. But Kim Su Bin hates Rachel Yoo. For reasons, Su Bin can’t understand, Jun Ah was best friends with Yoo Rachel, even though all of them had met at the same time. Yoo Rachel was mean and she would pass terrible comments at Su Bin making her feel uncomfortable. While Jun Ah would stand up for Su Bin, there seemed to be a sort of endearing quality to the admonishment that she'd subject Rachel to which was quite useless really. Hence, the two of them found themselves meeting each other more often than they'd like because of Jun Ah.

"I don't want to be friends with her," Su Bin says as crossing her arms across her chest. Jun Ah sighs. "She's not that bad, trust me."

Su Bin rolls her eyes. "For some reason she is convinced that I'm out to sabotage her life – well, she's not as interesting as she thinks she is," she glares at Jun Ah daring her to contradict her.

"Okay, I just want to hang out with my best friends tonight, okay?" Jun Ah makes a sad pitiful face. Su Bin purses her lips.

"I don't know why you need the likes of her. I'm quite a handful for someone – aren't I?" Su Bin asks threateningly. Jun Ah throws a book at Su Bin's face missing her by an inch.

"Park Jun Ah!" Su Bin cries out, annoyed. "If that had hit me, I would have killed you!”

"You're coming and that is FINAL," Jun Ah hisses.

Yoo Rachel did not have friends. She had acquaintances who hated her. Jun Ah is perhaps the only person, apart from Young Do, who willingly spent time with her and found her to be so much fun.

Rachel is like the cat Su Bin knew as a kid. The cat had scrutinized Su Bin's every move for forty-eight hours before allowing her to even come close. Rachel is the same way. She needs to be assured that Su Bin does not have an ulterior motive –she isn't trying to sabotage her in some way. Nobody wants to be friends with Rachel without a motive and Rachel prefers it that way.

Rachel Yoo does not like Su Bin. She doesn’t know what was so special about her that makes Jun Ah stick to her like glue. It is downright pathetic but Rachel usually refrains from commenting because she knows her friend is really fond of the commoner. The heart wants what the heart wants, C'est la vie, Rachel would tell herself. But what escapes Rachel Yoo was why she was expected to spend time and be seen in public with the commoner. Rachel Yoo feels like she had to sanitize her body for sitting only a few feet from the Commoner. The commoner was glaring at her.

"Oh, it's so nice to be out with you guys!" Jun Ah said extremely cheerfully. Rachel wanted to sneer at her for her pseudo-cheeriness but she bit back her comment. Su Bin, however, rolled her eyes.

"Uh-huh, it's beautiful," she said taking a swig of the beer bottle in her hands.

"Oh, don't be grumpy. I've called someone for you," Jun Ah grins. Su Bin's face twists.

"What do you mean you've 'called someone for me'?" Su Bin asks narrowing her eyes.

"Oh, nothing," Jun Ah giggles. "This boy, I know, I called him. You might like him."

Su Bin groans. "I don't like boys and boys don't like me. I should've been born a lesbian," Su Bin groans hitting her head against the bar table dramatically. Jun Ah laughed while Yoo Rachel snorted. She shot Rachel a glare.

"Oh, yes, I don't envy you heterouals," Jun Ah laughed. "Oh, here he comes. Say hello and play nice, okay?"

Su Bin makes a nasty face. "Definitely not that face. Rachel, we'll go dance after I've introduced them, okay?"

Su Bin saw Rachel shrug. When the boy walked in Su Bin knew she wouldn't like him. It was just the way he swaggered in like he owned the place. The way he leaned in too close when Jun Ah introduced them. He was being too intimate. Su Bin shot Jun Ah a glare asking her to not leave him alone with the guy but Jun Ah was way too busy following through with her plan to pay attention to Su Bin's pleading glances. So when she was introduced to the guy, Su Bin was forced to play along. Another old man was insistent on Su Bin dancing with him, despite rejecting him several times. Her...date was nice enough to take care of it but it seemed his actions were not borne out of altruism but egoism.

"You seem to be popular," He winked.

"Only among the creeps," Su Bin said even though half the joke was on her.

"Don't you think you owe me more than a drink for how I helped you out?"

Su Bin raised an eyebrow.

"I wouldn't have needed your help," Su Bin shrugged. "The bouncers are there, and I could've asked them to help me out. I would've been grateful to you if you hadn't said those god awful narcissistic words and tried to exploit me at what you may have thought to be a vulnerable moment," she on her straw and looked at him coolly before saying, "that's kind of a sick thing to do, really."

Su Bin watches as the boy's smirk falters to be replaced with a sneer. "You're a ," he said as he left. She only scoffed as she ordered vodka shots for herself. "Come to Amma," she said as she dragged the tray of shots to herself, and downed one shot.

"Ugh, greedy girl, what have you got here?" Jun Ah nudging Su Bin's arm which was shielding the four shots of vodka.

"Rachel, come!"

"What was wrong with In Sung?" Jun Ah asked with a frown on her face. Su Bin groaned.

"Forget it," she said. Rachel rolled her eyes. "You heard the girl, drop it. This is as boring as her."

"Wow, Rachel, nice of you to join us. I thought you were losing your touch when you didn't make a nasty comment for the past one and a half minutes," Su Bin said. Rachel scoffed.

"It was two and a half minutes, actually," Rachel said smirking.

"Oh, I see you time your y comments too. Wow, you're just full of surprises," Su Bin said in a mock-cheer voice.

"Children!" Jun Ah scolded. "We're here to have fun. Not fight."

Both of them glared at Jun Ah. "I think I'm going to go with my other friends to have fun. You should stay here and keep Rachel company. She doesn't have the option of going out with her other friends. I'm not sure if she knows the word friend has a plural form," Su Bin said as she took out her phone. Rachel's eyes widened at the comment and she looked like she was going to explode.

"I wouldn't know the ways of paupers anyway. You should go hang out with people from your stature anyway," Rachel said scathingly.

"CHILDREN!" Jun Ah shrieked really loudly. A few people turned but Jun Ah remained unaffected. "I came out here with two of my good friends to have fun. This night is about ME. So both of you are going to make up right now so that I can have my fun night, okay? OKAY? ME – I'm the important one here."

Rachel and Su Bin scoffed but seeing Jun Ah as angry as she was startled both of them. Su Bin nodded curtly as Rachel rolled her eyes. "Fine," Su Bin bit out. "We'll play nice. For one night."

Jun Ah looked over at Rachel expectantly. "Okay," Rachel conceded with a sneer.

"Good girls," Jun Ah said clapping her hands. "Young Do!" Jun Ah exclaimed happily. "What are you doing here?"

She was looking at the boy sitting in the corner. "Came to see Rachel," he said approaching them.

"See what I have to deal with?" Jun Ah said jokingly. He smirked at her and made a motion of zipping up his mouth.

"When did you get here?" Rachel asked in a flat way but Su Bin could see there was tenderness there. Was this boy her boyfriend? That would explain this creepy comradeship that was coming off of them.

"A half hour ago," he replied handing her something. "Picked up something for you," he said handing her a packet from a pharmacy. Rachel took it and shoved it in her purse. "Thank you," she said cracking a genuine smile.

Su Bin's eyes widened. This was perhaps the only time she had ever seen Rachel Yoo smile genuinely. It was creepy.

"Do you need something or are you done gawking?" Rachel asked sternly as she turned around to glare at Su Bin. Su Bin looked away embarrassed.

"Whatever," she muttered not being able to come with a good enough retort. "What are we drinking?"

"Vodka," Jun Ah answered wiggling her eyebrows. While Rachel and Jun Ah were busy ordering Su Bin decided to satiate her curiosity.

"Are you her boyfriend?"

The boy snorted. "No," he said gazing at her curiously. "Then?"

"I'm her step-brother."

"Ah, I'm Su Bin" she says before she realizes she shouldn't be talking to him. He's of the Devil's Party. What if someone thought she was interested in him? Su Bin wouldn't be able to take the gossip.

"Choi Young Do," he offers and her eyes widen. "I saw what you did to that guy," this Choi Young Do said taking a swig of the beer he had in his hand. Su Bin nodded hesitantly, not knowing how to respond.

Jun Ah and Rachel returned with shots. "Bottoms up," she said as they threw back the alcohol.

"Su Bin, aren't you going to dance?" Jun Ah asked, getting off the stool to head to the dancing area.

"Nah, I think I'm done for the night."

"Is that all you're having Young Do-ya?" Jun Ah turned to Young Do with a frown.

"Yes, I'm on driver duty," he said, smiling. It was so menacing Su Bin couldn't tell if he was being nice or mean.

"Hah, don't believe him. He just tells that to people because his precious masculinity would crumble if people knew he was a lightweight," they heard Rachel say as she poked Young Do on the head lightly.

"I'll have a gin, please," she said to the bartender ignoring a Young Do who was glaring at her through his blush. Su Bin couldn't help the chuckle that escaped from . Her eyes widened as Rachel gave her a disdainful look. "Find something funny?" she asked, cocking her head to the side.

Su Bin rolled her eyes but looked away embarrassedly. She hated Yoo Rachel for having a perfect body, a perfect career, a perfect apartment and now a perfect family. He was her step brother for god's sake! Weren't step-siblings supposed to be terrible to each other?

"How long are you planning to stay?" Rachel asked Young Do.

"Do you have someone to drive you back home?"

"Taxi," she replied perfunctorily. He nodded. "I'll be going then," he said as he made his way to the door.

"Well, now that that's sorted," Jun Ah said swinging her arms over her friends' shoulder, "we should get crazy."

An hour and a half later Jun Ah was drunk like a fish and needed to be sent home. Su Bin called Jun Ah's driver to the front as she and Rachel dragged her to the front door and down the stairs where they waited for Jun Ah's driver to come.

"Aren't you coming home with me?" a drunken Jun Ah asked Su Bin.

"No, I'm going to Hyori's place," Su Bin said. "Remember, I told you this when we arrived her and you asked me?"

Jun Ah nodded absentmindedly. "You guys are the best," she murmured sleepily. "Thank you for escorting me – hiccup – all the way here – hiccup," Jun Ah said as she slid into the car.

"Ah, well, look what we have here," someone said startling Rachel and Su Bin.

"Finally, caught you here, all alone," the man said leering at Su Bin. It was one of the boys trying to hit on her from before. Su Bin ignored him while Rachel scoffed disgustedly.

"Is she my consolation prize?" she guy said as he advanced towards Rachel. Rachel's eyes widened as she glared at the gall of the boy to think she would deign herself by ever engaging in any sort of relationship with him.

The boy caught on to her arm. "Let her go, you jerk," Su Bin threw her one of her high heels at him. It hit him in the face leaving him vulnerable enough for Su Bin to take a go at his crotch. Rachel's eyes remained as wide as saucers at the man groaning on the floor. She ran to get her shoe and dragged a frozen Rachel outside.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" she asked as they stepped out. "I'm fine," Rachel snapped. Su Bin nodded as she frantically tried to look for a cab.

"Hey, you!" They heard someone shriek from behind them. It was the guy. He seemed to have caught up to them. "Oh no," Su Bin whispered as she pulled Rachel farther away from the entrance. "Go get security," she said pushing Rachel towards the stairs. Rachel stumbled a little but she quickly ran up the stairs.

The guy caught Su Bin by the hair and slapped her right across her face. "That's for hitting me," he said as he hit her in the face again. "And that was for acting like a ."

Su Bin crumpled to the ground, too much in shock from the hit, to do anything but whimper. She watched as Rachel and some bouncers approached but the guy was making a run for it. Rachel kneeled down next to her and said something which Su Bin couldn't understand. Her ears were still ringing from the blow. Su Bin's eyes focused on Rachel and tried to understand what she was saying.

"Su Bin, let go of your face," Rachel said insistently. She hadn't realized she had been holding her face.

"Miss, are you okay?" one of the guards asked, approaching them hesitantly.

"Does it look like okay?" Rachel snapped. "I want you to go find that guy or I will destroy your club," Rachel hissed scathingly as she helped Su Bin up.

"How is it our faul-"one of the guards began but another shushed him. "Yes, Miss. We'll do everything in our power to find that man."

Rachel nodded curtly. "We've hailed a cab for you. You should take your friend to the hospital."

Su Bin snapped out of her stupor at the mention of the hospital. "No," she said firmly, her hands still holding her face. "It's nothing major. I just want to go –"she stopped because she realized she couldn't go to Hyori's place like this.

"You can come to my house," Rachel murmured softly. The guards were still standing here waiting for them to come to a decision. "Where is the cab?" She asked stiffly looking at the guards. They called out haggardly at the taxi driver making the whole ordeal extremely awkward for Su Bin and annoying for Rachel.

They were quiet throughout the ride and when Rachel led Su Bin upstairs to her apartment in the building. Panic seized hold of Su Bin at the door, "your parents...?" but Rachel waved her off. "They don't live here. It's just Young Do and I."

"Young Do?" Rachel called out as she opened the door and stepped in.

"Yeah? You're home earlier than I thought," Young Do said from the couch. He had been watching television. He could see the girl from earlier in tow. Su Bin. But she seemed to be cowering behind Rachel. He raised an eyebrow at Rachel questioningly. He thought she hated her. it was then he noticed Rachel's ashen face and watery eyes.

He stood up abruptly. "What happened?"

"Need your help," she said. Su Bin had an arm wound around her torso as she made her way to the couch and sat down.

"This happened," she said taking off her hand. Young Do didn't say anything but the shock was apparent on his face.

"I can take care – "

"Shut up," Rachel's brother said cutting her off. His expression was serious as his fingers touched her cheek gently to assess the damage. "It's going to bruise. Get some ice," he told Rachel whose natural instincts to orders repulsed her for a second before she gave in and went to fetch ice.

"Go to bed. I'll take care of things here."

Rachel was going to protest but the look Young Do gave her made her give in. Rachel returned to give Young Do a bag of ice before retiring into her room. He pressed the bag of ice against Su Bin's face but she whimpered and pulled away. She held out her hand for the bag and Young Do acquiesced.

"I'll be back," he said as he went into the other room. Su Bin sat there pressing the bag of ice against her face, refusing t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter