01: The Price of Popularity

THE DATING GAME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Chanhee's Point of View]

"The answer is k is an element between zero and a half inclusive, excluding a quarter." 

I put down my hand as I answered the teacher's question.

"As expected, you're right Chunji."

The teacher smiled as she wrote my answer on the board.

As expected. Is everything that I do that predictable? Does everyone make the assumption that I'm always right? Can't I ever be wrong?

At first, it never bothered me. In fact, it was rather refreshing. The other students would marvel at how I would always know the answer. I always knew what to do and the best way to do it. They always asked me for help and I always gave it to them without any hesitation. Slowly, I moved up the ranks and I joined the group of 'elitists' called Teen Top. The name for the most popular guys at Jawoon High School was quite literal. The group of us are at the 'top.' We are at the top of the school's social hierarchy. Once you're in Teen Top, you're in. The world is practically your fruit platter. 

No one can just join Teen Top. Basically, the rest of the student population had to choose you. You either had to be very attractive, very athletic, musically gifted or incredibly intelligent to be selected. Each year, the standards grow exponentially. Apparently, I fit all four of these conditions and after spending half a year at Jawoon High School, I was approached by the existing members of Teen Top and was offered a chance to join. It's pretty much a popularity contest.

At the time, I didn't think much about it. I didn't really know much about the group or what the group was for. I agreed to join, thinking that it was just a chance to make some new friends. Before I knew it, the school had given me a new identity. I was no longer Lee Chanhee. I had become "popular perfect boy Chunji". The other members of Teen Top and I would walk through the school and we would be bombarded with screams. No one called me Chanhee anymore. Even the teachers called me Chunji. All the extra attention was overwhelming for the first month or so but the others helped me adapt. They welcomed me with open arms and taught me certain techniques to deal with the popularity. Teen Top was genuinely a nice group of guys. If they didn't have their fan base following them around everywhere, you would think they were just ordinary laid-back guys. 

You would think that the school would oppose of groups such as Teen Top. But no, they encouraged it. The school believed that having "role models" for the other students was a good idea. In fact, the existence of Teen Top encourages students to work harder in all aspects. Popularity was just something everyone wanted a taste of. Everyone wants to be us.

As the year past, a few of the Teen Top members graduated and the rest of us welcomed the new members. The standards for each generation of Teen Top members grew, so it was even harder for new members to join. The rest of us existing members just had to keep up. Growing accustomed to living as a Teen Top member took time and effort, but once I managed to do so, life became more or less a routine. I would go to classes, impress the teachers, smile at the fan girls, eat lunch with the other members at our designated area of the school grounds and then after school, go to either dance practice, my vocal lessons or on a date. It was just the same thing every day. It was nothing too complicated and nothing I couldn't handle.

After living like this for one and a half years, I'm now in my third and final year of high school. Teen Top currently has five members. C.A.P and Niel are in my year and Ricky and Changjo are both second year students. C.A.P joined Teen Top the same year that I did. Ricky and Changjo joined last year. Most new members are invited in their first year at Jawoon. It was almost like an unwritten rule. If you didn't have it by the end of your first year, you just didn't have it at all. It's rare that Jawoon accepts new second year and third year students so it is also rare to have someone join Teen Top who is not a first year student. In addition, there have been rare occasions when a first year student only becomes popular in their second year at Jawoon. An example of this rare occasion would be Niel. He was a second year student when we invited him to join. I knew him in my first year. He was a very quiet student and no one really paid attention to him. Entering second year though, he came back as a completely different person. He had changed his hairstyle, his clothes and his personality. He was like a whole new person. His popularity also went sky rocketing and it was only natural for us to invite him to join Teen Top.

The five of us have been back at school for just over a month. We were on the lookout for new recruits. No one in particular has caught our eye yet. All the first years were still trying to settle in to high school. The school is pretty big though, so we're sure that some candidates will show up soon. 

Though, there is one person that is rather... interesting. Well, not really. It's more like his reputation is interesting. He's one of those rare transfer students. His name I think is... Lee Byunghun. He's in my class. Now that's something we don't see here every day, a third year transfer student. On the first day, they introdu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter