05: It's Not What It Seems

THE DATING GAME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Byunghun's Point of View]

Moonchul had received a text from his mother so he had to go make a call. I had to go down to the library to return a book so we agreed to meet in the library at my usual spot. It has been a week since Moonchul first approached me. Since then we've been almost inseparable. Even though he thinks I study too much, he lets me go to the library after school to study just so I feel secure. He doesn't let me study at lunch time though. He forces to me to stay in the cafeteria with him for the whole of the break. It's a good thing I guess. I get a break and we get to socialise some more. I am definitely feeling more comfortable around him and my stuttering has stopped. Sadly though, it only seems to apply to Moonchul. Around everyone else I still feel awkward and I still stutter. But it's still a good start. 

On the weekend Moonchul introduced me to his band. I learnt that Moonchul was actually the leader, main vocalist and guitarist for the group. His band members were very welcoming and let me sit through their practice. The four of us also went out for dinner afterwards. Despite not having any friends at school, Moonchul seemed very close with his band members. The other two go to a different school so practice was the only time they could meet. The three of them were a very tight knit group and I felt a little out of the circle but they all still tried to include me as much as possible. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was friends with the others, but we were on talking terms which is good.

Putting my bag down, I sat down at my usual studying spot. Moonchul was going to take me to band practice again. He had convinced me that I didn't need to study after school today because we didn't have any tests coming up or assignments due. Giving in to his nagging, I agreed to go. I felt a vibration in my pocket and took out my phone. There was a message from Moonchul.

From: The Moon

Sorry. My mother wants me to go pick up my little sister from her school because she is stuck in traffic. Her school is just down a few blocks. I'll quickly take her home and wait for my mum to get back before coming back to school. I'll meet at the usual spot. Sorry again.

I quickly texted a reply back.

To: The Moon

It's fine. I'll just read a book or something while I wait. Don't rush. Be careful.

Grabbing a random book off the fiction shelf, I sat back down at my usual spot. I flipped open to the first page and started to read in peace. At that moment, I heard the library entrance door open. I peeked up from my book and spotted the very brunette boy that I didn't want to see. Chunji. He was probably here for Mrs Song's Maths lectures again. Ignoring him, I drew my concentration back to my book. 

I heard a clang sound that probably came from a chair leg hitting the metal table leg. I looked up again to find the origin of the noise. That's when my eyes met with his. He was sitting across the table from me. Why? I put down my book down, making a note of the page number.

"Hi."

"What are you doing here Chunji?" I grunted.

"Am I not allowed to sit here? Is this seat across from you reserved? For that Moonchul maybe?" His tone of voice was spiked with arrogance and I didn't like it.

"Do whatever you like." I brushed him aside and tried to get back to my reading, but he was just sitting there staring at me. It was kind of off-putting and distracting. "Do you want something?"

He leaned forward, propped his elbows onto the table, clasped his hands together and rested his chin on his hands. "I'm just curious that's all."

I placed my book down on the table again. "About what?" Something about him just drives me over the edge. Just his presence annoys me to no end. 

"You. You aren't exactly how I would have imagined you to be."

"Really? Enlighten me. What did you think I would be like?"

"You surely aren't as shy as you seem in class. You don't talk. You actually listen in class. Don't you usually start stuttering or something when people talk to you? No offence or anything, but aren't you a bit... anti-social and socially awkward?"

This guy is completely unbelievable!

"Well aren't you a great evaluator of personalities!?"

"You certainly aren't stuttering now." His smirk almost seemed like it was hiding a sinister intent.

"Ever considered that it's because I'm talking to you?"

"Oh really? You're not awkward with me?"

Ok. That came out completely wrong.

"Oh don't flatter yourself. It's not a good thing."

I restrained myself from saying the words "it's because I hate you" and tried to resume my reading. We sat in silence for a bit. He just kept staring at me. His stares made my eye twitch and my hand slightly shake. I slammed the book closed and pushed it away.

"What is your problem!?"

"Wooh. No need to raise your voice. Mrs Song went to photocopy some things for the class. I'm just waiting for her to come."

"So you're bothering me to pass the time?"

"Why not? You seem like a pretty fun guy after you get past the awkward aura."

"Well I don't have time to play your little games." Grabbing the book up again, I stood up to leave.

"Wait!" I stopped in my tracks. "Let's just talk. No harm in talking right?"

He had a point. I wasn't like I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter