06: The Rules of the Game

THE DATING GAME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Byunghun's Point of View]

The next morning, I confidently walked into the classroom. Dumping my bag on my seat, I headed straight for my target. He was by the window, chatting to a few of the other students. Interrupting them, I held out his phone. 

"On the roof, now."

Without waiting for him to reply, I retracted my hand, still holding his phone and left the classroom. With my back turned, I heard him excuse himself from the conversation and follow me out. 

I had my plan all figured out. I spent all night refining the details. All I had to do was to get Chunji to go along with it and that wouldn't be hard. He gave me the perfect opportunity yesterday. 

On the roof top, I held out his phone again. This time, I let him take it.

"You left it on the table yesterday."

"Thanks." He placed the phone in his blazer pocket. "What did you want to talk about? It's not like you to pull someone out of class like that."

"Then what is like me then? If you say that you know me so well."

"Well you certainly aren't this forward usually." 

I leaned back against the railing and Chunji followed.

"How would you know? How would anyone know what I'm actually like if no one bothers to try and dig under the surface?"

"You've got a point. We better hurry up. Class will start soon."

It was time to lay out my plan.

"I'll keep this short then." I paused for a moment, taking a deep breath. "Let's play a game."

"A game?" He looked at me with confusion plastered over his face. "Why?"

"Because you said you were bored. When people get bored, don't they play games?"

"True. What game do you propose we play then? Let's get this over with."

"It's not going to be that easy, but I'm sure this game will definitely keep you... excited." His eyes glinted with suspicion but there was also a flicker of interest and curiosity. 

"I'm listening."

"Basically, I want you to teach me how get a girlfriend."

There was a slight pause where both of his froze in our positions. The only sound was the blistering wind, battering up against the ventilation vents that ran along the roof top.

"Interesting. You want me to help you get a girlfriend? That's definitely interesting. Very... not you. Why do you want me to help you though? Didn't you say that you hated me yesterday?"

"I do hate you." It came off a little blunt but he didn't seem to be bothered by it, so I continued. "But I have my own reasons. Are you going to play or not?"

"You've definitely piqued my interest. But what's in it for me?"

"I said it already. I'll help you stop being bored."

He just stood there staring back at me. I could almost hear his brain ticking and whirling in thought. It was like he was trying to find any ulterior motives that I might have. Of course, I wasn't going to lose to him that badly and I made sure I kept a straight and sincere face. 

"Fine. I'll play."

"Great." I pulled a sheet of paper out of my pocket, unfolded it and handed it to him to read. "Every game has rules so here is the list of rules that I came up with."

 

RULES OF THE GAME

1. No one else must know about 'The Game'

2. Interaction with each other is forbidden during school hours

3. 'The Game' ends when Byunghun is kissed on a date

4. After 'The Game' ends, everything will return to normal as if 'The Game' never existed

5. Further rules may be added throughout the duration of 'The Game' 

 

He scanned them briefly and nodded.

"You've put a lot of thought into this haven't you?"

"Of course. I wanted to create the perfect game after all. So you're still in?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter