Smile

Exchange Student

Just as they played for today Kwon Yuri was going to hang out with Jessica Jung outside of school. They are always seen together but they weren’t as great friends. Jessica usually ignored Yuri most of the time but Yuri kept pushing. If other students found out that Kwon Yuri the popular swimming athlete was hanging out with the ice princess from America, the school will have a riot especially Gu Hara. Yuri didn’t think much of it and she thought it was normally because she really wanted to get to know Jessica better. She waited outside the dorm for Jessica.

“Oh Yuri? Hey, good morning.” It was Tiffany that appeared and greeted her. “Jess is still getting ready, she should be out soon.”

“Good morning Tiffany. Thanks for letting me know. Where are you headed too?”

“I’m going shopping with Sunny, Seohyun, and Victoria.” Tiffany eye-smiled at Yuri.

“C-Can I ask you something about Sica?” Yuri was nervous.

“Sure, ask away.”

“She told me she wears a mask and I don’t know what that means.”

“Ah she actually told you that?” Yuri nodded in agreement. “The ‘mask’ she is talking about is like a shield. Jess is scared to let people in sometimes. She was hurt pretty badly in the past by someone so she chooses to isolate herself. I’ve known Jess for a long time and I am the only person outside of her family that she really trusts. Don’t take it personally Yuri. It is her way of protecting herself and her fragile heart. You are a nice person to begin with so if you keep showing that you genuinely care about her, she will gradually start opening up to you. It does take time when you are trying to befriend Jessica Jung herself.” Tiffany patted Yuri on the shoulder to reassure her. “You guys are going out to eat, right? Make sure the food in the restaurant doesn’t have any type of melon and in specific cucumbers. Jess is allergic to cucumbers and melons. Good luck!” Tiffany made her way to the bus stop after she gave Yuri great advice. Yuri was determined to break through Jessica’s walls.

“Kwon Yuri.” Yuri turned around to see who this angelic voice was owned by. Of course it was Jessica Jung who spoke to her. Yuri was lost at words as was open but nothing came out. There she stood in blue jeans and white top that was tucked in, in the front and loose in the back and black sandals on her feet. A hand bag resting on her shoulder, with a pair of black sunglasses resting on top of her head. Her golden blonde hair was to one side and a few of her tips were curled making her hair look like it was just done at a professional salon. Yuri kept staring at the goddess in front of her, and to top it all off she couldn’t even comprehend Jessica calling her name. Jessica was constantly calling ‘Kwon Yuri’ and waving her hand in front of the girl, but there was no response. Jessica was kind of creeped out by the sudden silence of Yuri and her stares. Jessica thought the girl didn’t feel way because it was a hot day and Yuri was just standing outside the dorm complex in the blazing sun.

“Kwon Yuri, are you okay? Are you not feeling way? We could do a rain check?” Jessica placed the back of her hand on Yuri’s forehead to check the temperature.

The sudden touch of Jessica made Yuri come back to her senses.”S-Sica sorry. I am not sick, I was just taken back from your beauty. I never seen you in other clothes besides the school uniform.”

“Beauty?” Jessica dropped her hand off Yuri’s forehead but Yuri retracted and held Jessica’s hand with hers.

“Yeah beauty. You’re beautiful Sica.” Yuri gave her a genuine smile.

“T-Thanks Kwon Yuri.” Jessica looked down to the ground, to hide her red cheeks. She liked Yuri’s honesty with her. “So where do you plan on taking me for lunch?” Jessica still had her eyes on the ground and she noticed Yuri was still holding her hand. She wanted to swat her hand away from Yuri’s but she liked the warmth she was getting.

“To this café, that is nearby. They have great comfort food that is great for lunch. I just had an apple when I woke up, so I am starving now.”

“I just had coffee and a muffin before I got ready. I am hungry too.”

Yuri and Jessica made their way to the bus stop so they could spend the day together.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The bus ride was a bit crowded so they had no choice but to stand up. Jessica was hanging on to the top railing facing the window, along with Yuri standing next to her. Jessica looked down to her left and saw that Yuri and she were still holding hands. Yuri hadn’t let go of her, but Jessica didn’t want to be rude to the athlete. If other people were observing them, they would think that they were a couple. Jessica was a bit happy because it shows that Yuri does care about her, but she was still cautious to not let Yuri break down her walls so easily. Jessica pulled her hand way, forcing Yuri to let go.

“Sica, what’s wrong?” Yuri tried to grab the girl’s hand again but was swatted away.

“Kwon Yuri don’t. People might think we are a couple and last I checked I was single but you are happily taken.” Jessica gave Yuri an icy glare making sure the girl understand what she is saying.

When Jessica said that, Yuri felt hurt inside. She didn’t know why because it was the flat out truth. Jessica was single, while Yuri still had a girlfriend. Yuri was silent the whole bus ride to the café and kept staring at the floor beneath her.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Welcome. Table for two?” The two arrived at the café to be greeted by a short girl, named Kim Taeyeon. Yuri’s best friend and Jessica was shocked by the familiar girl. “Hey Yul and Jessica.” Taeyeon chuckled realizing Jessica’s surprised expression. “I take it Yul didn’t tell you that I work here, huh? Sooyoung, Yoona and Hyoyeon also work her too, but that isn’t really important.”

“We are just hanging out. Nothing more than that. Just a friendly outing.” Jessica stared at Taeyeon for a while.

“Uh right. Its okay and I understand. Yul told me last night that she wanted to take you out so I told her I was working at the café and for her to bring you here. Don’t worry.”

Jessica sighed in relief because she didn’t want any misunderstanding or any drama in the future. She really didn’t want people to spread rumors that she was trying to steal Yuri from Gu Hara. That was the last thing she wanted. Both her and Yuri ordered their lunch and waited for Taeyeon to delivery it. Jessica noticed Yuri’s silence but her silence was a bit unusual than normal. She got the vibe that Yuri was upset about the whole holding hang thing. Jessica couldn’t grasp the idea on why she was upset. Yuri shouldn’t be upset because she does have a girlfriend. Jessica’s thoughts were halted when her phone dinged indicating she got a text message.

[FROM: Tiff

Hey. I just got a text from TaeTae saying you and Yuri are at the café she works at. She noticed this tension between you guys. Is everything already, Jess?]

So noisy. Jessica thought but she didn’t mind Tiffany’s concern for both her and Yuri.

[TO: Tiff

Everything is fine except she kept holding my hand on the bus. She wouldn’t let go so I yanked my hand back. I think she is upset but she shouldn’t be because she has a girlfriend. I don’t want any misunderstandings, remember Tiff? I hate drama.]

[FROM: Tiff

Be nice Jess. I know you were just stating the truth but you also have to take inconsideration that she really wants you guys to be friends. Friends could hold hands. Sometimes we hold hands and you don’t seem to mind at all.]

[TO: Tiff

That is totally different. Don’t forget Yuri is popular. Lots of people know her outside of school because she has swim competitions she competes in.]

[FROM: Tiff

You are exaggerating. Just apologize and stop being stubborn.]

[TO: Tiff

Whatever Tiff and don’t text me anymore.]

Jessica made a mental note to slap both Taeyeon and Tiffany later because the two were being noisy. She didn’t really like people poking their nose in her business. Jessica looked up to face Yuri but Yuri was spacing out, looking out the window.

“Kwon Yuri.” Yuri pried her eyes away from the window to look at the girl sitting across from her. Both of them had a silent stare contest waiting for one of them to speak. “I am sorry about earlier. I didn’t want others to misunderstand.”

Yuri nodded and finally smiled at Jessica. “I get it and I am sorry too. I thought you were mad at me for trying to be friendly with you with skin ship.”

“It’s okay. Just don’t try to hold me hand again and we will be fine for today.”

Yuri once again nodded in agreement. After their conversation, Taeyeon placed their food on the table. Yuri grabbed Jessica’s sandwich and used her fork to check the ingredients that are inside the sandwich. Jessica was confused at Yuri’s actions. “What are you doing, Kwon Yuri?”

“I am checking if there are any cucumbers in it.”

“What? How?”

“Tiffany said you were allergic. I don’t want anything to happen to you. There isn’t any, so you are safe to eat it.” Yuri handed the plate back to Jessica. Jessica was happy that Yuri showed this caring side to her.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After lunch, they went to go watch a movie. Yuri wanted to watch an American movie to see how it differs from Koreans movies. So they decided to watch ‘The 5th Wave’. Jessica didn’t need to read the Korean subtitles because she speaks English fluently while Yuri sometimes had a hard time reading fast if the dialog was long. But overall Yuri enjoyed the movie. It was already an early afternoon and they were waiting for the sun to set so they could see the cherry blossoms at night. The two walked around the Han River to kill some time. Jessica sat on a bench waiting for Yuri because the girl went to buy some ice-cream. Jessica admired the view of the river and people walking around. She smiled and she already noticed that Yuri was staring at her. Jessica was aware that she rarely smiled in front of Yuri and the girl wanted her to smile more often.

“Kwon Yuri, the ice-cream is going to melt if you keep standing there.”

“Oh s-sorry.” Yuri sat next to Jessica on the bench and handed her the cone of vanilla ice-cream.

They finished their ice-creams and the sun was slowly setting. Many people were starting to walk towards the cherry blossoms to admire the beauty. Yuri and Jessica joined the crowd to look up with rows of cherry blossoms trees. It was really a sight to see. The way the street lights were illuminating with the cherry blossoms were extremely pretty. Many people were taking pictures of the pretty trees but Jessica wanted to watch them. She loved the colors of the blossoms. There weren’t many cherry blossoms in America so she really wanted to see them while she was in Korea. Yuri just watched Jessica. She did like the cherry blossoms, because who wouldn’t. But she has always saw them every year with her friends but the sight of Jessica smiling was way better. She adored Jessica’s smile. Yuri really wanted to Jessica to smile at her for once instead of her just staring at the princess. Yuri enjoyed this moment a lot. Jessica could feel Yuri’s intense stares but she didn’t mind. A cherry blossom petals twirled in the air toward Jessica so she opened up her hand to catch some. A few petals landed on her palm and a big smile formed on her lips.

“Gorgeous.” Jessica turned her head once she heard Yuri speak and they stared at each other. Yuri walked towards Jessica while Jessica stayed rooted to where she already was. Jessica dropped her smile but Yuri was smiling at her. “You’re gorgeous when you smile like that. When you smile I feel like the world has stopped.” Yuri tucked strands of Jessica’s hair behind her ear. Jessica’s face started to heat up from the sudden actions and compliments that she was receiving, so she broke contact with Yuri and stared at the ground. But was forced up to look at Yuri again because Yuri held her chin gently so they could meet eyes.

“K-Kwon Yuri, what are you doing?”

“Sica, you are so mysterious that I don’t understand you sometimes. But when you smile like that I get this feeling inside that I want to protect you in this world. That smile of yours captures my heart and I can’t seem to stop it.”

“Stop talking Kwon Yuri. You have Gu Hara, remember?” Jessica took a step back and was about to walk away but Yuri didn’t let her. Yuri grabbed her arm forcing her back to her and then Yuri embraced her in a hug. Jessica was stuck pressed against Yuri.

“I know. I didn’t forget, but right now it is just you and me. For some reason my heart doesn’t care about Hara right now. I care about you even thought I know only a little bit about you. You are a cold person at first but you have this warmth to you. You barely talk to me and you give me this blank stare but I actually like that about you. Even I don’t understand these feelings Sica but I was really happy when you agreed for me to take you out today.” Yuri pulled Jessica back a little so she could look at Jessica’s eyes but still had her hands wrapped around the girl’s waist. Yuri was caught in the moment and leaned towards Jessica’s face with her eyes closed. Jessica eyes widen at the realization on what is about to happen. Yuri was about to kiss Jessica when a hard impact contacted on her cheek. Jessica had slapped Yuri in the face. Jessica pushed Yuri away from her and Yuri could see tears going down her face as Jessica ran away from Yuri. Yuri was left standing there by herself as she held her red cheek.

What have I done? I was about to kiss Sica, but it felt so right. Now she is going to hate me forever. Why does my heart ache just thinking about her leaving me? Sica don’t leave me.I don’t want to lose you. I am sorry.

Yuri couldn’t stop the tears flowing. Her knees grew weak and she started to break down on the ground. She didn’t care that people were giving her weird looks. She was angry at herself for almost kissing Jessica.

“Sica…. I am sorry Sica…. Don’t leave….” Yuri mumbled to herself in between her sobs.

 

A/N: Here it is guys. I don't think the "hang out" went well between Jessica and Yuri. What do you guys think? I made Yuri and Jessica watch the 'The 5th Wave' because I just watched that movie last night. Lol. I wanted to but a Korean movie but I haven't watched a Korean movie in awhile. And I had difficulty describing what Jessica was wearing. Haha. Soooo what do you guys also think about Yuri's sudden change of feelings? I also wanted to let you guys know that I might be ending this series in like 2 or 3 more chapters, buuuut I had already started another YulSic series. It is not up on my profile but I just recently finished the first chapter. So all my readers could look forward to another YulSic story by me. If you guys are wondering why my stories jump with couples because I wrote two JeTi stories, in all honesty I actually love JeTi, YulSic, and TaengSic. I've read quite a handful of fanfics involving those three couples and I enjoy the stories that other author's write about them. I also ready some YoonSic but I love the other three with Jessica. Jessica will forever be my number one bias in the kpop industry. So don't hate me that I jump from JeTi to YulSic. I haven't thought of writing a TaengSic but I do want to write one in the future. Sorry for the little rant here, but yeah, let me know what you thought of this chapter. Thanks for reading and sticking around.

-Allister :)