Chapter 3

Discontinued MarkJin Chapter Story

He said he would be waiting here… Jinyoung has been standing in front of the hospital for several minutes, checking his phone constantly and scouring through the abundance of patients. Where is he?

 

Room 177, I'll be there.

 

“Nghh…” Jinyoung staggers, his legs feeling weak from beneath him. It's that voice again… . When the pounding in his voice diminishes, Jinyoung looks around one last time. Room 177… He turns around and heads into the hospital, thinking that listening to the voice would be worth a shot.

 

Room 176… 177. Jinyoung stops in front of a door along the seemingly endless hallway. After wandering the halls for several minutes, he had found the entrance to the west side. Jinyoung had never been on the west side of the hospital, but the east side was almost an identical version of the west.

 

Jinyoung pushes the cracked door, sunlight shining onto his face from the windows at the opposite end of the room. The room is almost completely bare, only a singular hospital bed and a vase of lilies to furnish it.

 

“Mark? Are you in here?” Jinyoung takes a cautious step into the room, noticing the small figure underneath the blankets. What if I'm intruding? Jinyoung wearily steps forward, calling out again, “Mark is that you?”

 

Jinyoung is practically beside the bed now, reaching slowly with his quivering hand to pull back the blankets. He gulps, sudden shivers running down his spine.

 

Jinyoung grabs onto the blankets and slowly pulls them back. Beneath the blankets, he immediately spots the fiery red hair, but what he saw, he would have never expected. The white hospital robe, the tubes and cords strapped onto the frail figure.

 

What the…

 

“Ngh…” the figure who is undoubtedly Mark, shuffles around for a few seconds until, a pair of brown eyes appears in front of Jinyoung. “You took so long..” Mark's voice is grave and soft as he sits up and ruffles his hair.

 

“M-Mark… what the hell is this?” Jinyoung voices worryingly, Is he sick?

 

Mark looks at Jinyoung, his eyebrows raised up in confusion until he realizes what Jinyoung is so worked up about. “I'm not sick Jinyoung, you shouldn't worry about me too much. You're the one that's ill.”

 

“W-what…” Jinyoung is taken aback with Mark's state and can't seem to muster up anything to say.

 

“More importantly,” Mark's eyes are sparkling, the sleepiness in his eyes completely gone, “you heard me, didn't you?”

 

Heard him? That voice was him?

 

Yeah, that was me.”

 

Jinyoung looks up from his thoughts, Mark's feet are crossed and the boy rocks from side to side with glee.

 

“You heard that?” Jinyoung is amazed yet again. Grandma, is it really true?

 

Mark breaks out into a fit of coughs, his frail body shaking with each cough.

 

“Hey Mark… what's wrong?” Jinyoung walks closer to the red haired boy, to which the boy holds up a hand to stop Jinyoung from walking closer.

 

Mark stops to catch his breath before speaking, “You've got to work on that voice of yours, it's quite disruptive to my system.”

 

Jinyoung this time, speaks out his thoughts, not quite sure what the boy means. “What system? What do you mean?”

 

“When you send a thought straight through to me, it pounds in my head, the same way it pounds in yours.” Mark looks up to Jinyoung to assure that the younger understands.

 

“But why did it never happen before we met? Why don't all of your thoughts transfer to me?” Jinyoung is frustrated by all the sudden information, almost to the point where he feels nauseous.

 

“Look, I'm just as clueless as you, but you've got to try and keep your own thoughts to yourself; unless you actually need to tell me something.”

 

“Okay.” Jinyoung closes his eyes, mustering up what miniscule ‘energy’ exists in him. Well? Do you hear me?

 

Jinyoung hears no response, and when he opens his eyes, Mark looks at him with no acknowledgement whatsoever that he heard him.

 

“I-I think I did it.” Jinyoung relaxes his shoulders, letting out a big sigh.

 

“Good, let's keep it like that until necessary.” Mark gives a soft smile, his eyelashes fluttering with each blink of his eyes.

 

“By the way, what did you need to tell me?” It had just hit Jinyoung that Mark had never gotten to the point of this meetup.

 

“Oh um,” Mark's smile disappears, and he scratches the back of his neck nervously, “I've only told one person about this, but because of the stupid legend that binds us, I figured you'd have to know eventually.”

 

“Yeah?” Jinyoung's ears twitch, a sudden interest showing in Mark's secret. I wonder…

 

Mark looks down at his lap as he bites down on his lip. “I'm not really sure how to say this.”

 

Jinyoung is literally on the tips of his feet in suspense. Oh my god Mark, just spit it out!”

 

“I don't feel pain.” Mark blurts out the words, and unlike their other conversations, his words resonate in the empty room.

 

What? Jinyoung is dumbfounded, unable to grasp what had came out of Mark's lips. “What do you mean you don't feel pain? That's impossible, it's-”

 

A loud thud echoes through the room,Jinyoung gasping as his breath escapes his lips. Mark had punched the wall beside him, leaving a small dent in the frame.

 

“Mark!” Jinyoung is concerned immediately, leaping forward, grabbing onto Mark's hand. The boy's hand is red hot, small purple marks already forming on his knuckles. “What the hell did you do that for? What are you trying to prove!?” Jinyoung is outraged and at the same time, not quite sure why he's getting so worked up about this.

 

“Calm down Jinyoung. I told you, I don't feel pain.” Mark let's Jinyoung relieve his worries while fumbling over his bruised hand.

 

“D-does it really not hurt?” Jinyoung clenches onto Mark's unscathed hand, his eyes already wet.

 

Mark's eyes open widely in surprise at the younger’s reaction. “Hey Jinyoung…” Mark's hand unconsciously moves to softly brush Jinyoung's wet eyes.

 

Jinyoung flinches in response, obviously taken aback by the elder’s sudden action.

 

“A-ah… sorry, I just-”

 

“It's okay Mark.” Jinyoung wearily plants himself next to Mark, resting gently on the side of Mark's bed. “I-I misjudged you Mark.” Jinyoung mumbles quietly, as though admitting to his fault was damaging his pride. “You really seemed like a bad person, and I guess I took our first meeting a little, harshly.”

 

“No, not at all!” Mark exclaims, his body leaning forward so that he's just a few inches away from Jinyoung's face. “I was being really rude that day, it's a super long story and umm-”

 

-Beep-

 

Jinyoung jolts at the sudden ring, grabbing in his pocket to pull out his phone. “Sorry, excuse me for a second.” Jinyoung stands up from his seat, walking a few steps away from Mark to answer the phone.

 

“Hello?”

 

Mark can't seem to pick up who's on the other end, or what that person is saying.

 

“A check up? Now? Okay, yeah I'll head over there… no you don't need to pick me up. Yeah. Thanks hyung, bye!”

 

Jinyoung ends the call and slips his phone into his pocket. “I have to go to a check up now.”

 

“Yeah, it's about the virus isn't it?” Mark bites his lips as he glares worryingly at Jinyoung.

 

“Don't worry, I'll be back as soon as I can.” Jinyoung says as he slowly walks closer to the door. “Oh, hey Mark?” Jinyoung stops in his tracks and swivels around.

 

“Mm?” Mark gives Jinyoung a half assed smile.

 

“I'll message you later, we have a lot to talk about.” Jinyoung returns Mark's smile with a ray of sunshine.

 

“Y-yeah.” Mark stammers, literally starstruck by Jinyoung's smile. Mark musters one last smirk before Jinyoung turns back around, and exits the room leaving Mark alone.

 


Jinyoung sits nervously in the white hospital room, his face sweating as he fumbles with his trembling hands.

 

-Click-

 

“Oh Jinyoung, sorry, did you wait long?”

 

Jinyoung stands up to greet the doctor who had taken care of him since he was young.“No, not at all!” Jinyoung exclaims as he bows his head down.

 

The doctor smiles. “That's good to hear, but more importantly, I heard you've had an attack?”  

 

Jinyoung nods as he lowers himself back down onto the examination table, and the doctor's smile fades. “We'll get an x-ray done and then take some blood tests, okay?”

 

Jinyoung bows his head again as he stands up to follow the doctor.

 

I'm scared Mark…

 


Jinyoung sighs as the doctor stands up, ready to leave. “You're all clear Jinyoung. It might have been a different cause, but thankfully, it's not related to the virus!”

 

“Thank you so much, doctor!” Jinyoung does his respective 90 degree bow even though the pain in his arm is practically unbearable.

 

“No need to thank me Jinyoung. Take it easy from now on, okay? I'll talk to the nurse out front, they'll call you about a check up soon.” The doctor picks up his clipboard, the time striking 6 ‘o clock.

 

Jinyoung bows again as the doctor leaves the white room, solitude enveloping Jinyoung.

 

I should call Jaebum… Jinyoung grabs onto his left arm with his right as he walks slowly out into the main halls. He must of made Jaebum worried, having not seen the elder since this morning; just a day after his attack.

 

Jinyoung searches his pocket for his phone. I'm sure I put it here.

 

Jinyoung!”

 

The voice is warm, but Jinyoung can tell it's not Jaebum. Who? Jinyoung turns to the voice, nostalgia coursing through him.

 

The tall boy, his red hair, his black clothes. Mark. Jinyoung wobbles closer to Mark, who is fastly pacing up to him. “Mark, where are you going?” It had only been a few hours ago since Jinyoung had seen the boy strapped up to an IV stand, lying like a corpse in a bed.

 

Mark smiles brightly at spotting Jinyoung, sending his heart aflutter. “I was just heading over to Jackson’s house, want to come?” Mark's voice is warm, a huge contrast from their first meeting.

 

“Oh, um, let me call Jaebum firs-”

 

“Jinyoung!” Jinyoung turns to the voice- Jaebum. The boy is walking quickly towards Jinyoung, his face bright in a smile, but suddenly turned sour when he spots the boy accompanying Jinyoung.

 

“Hey Jae, you didn't have to come to pick me up, I could've ju-”

 

“What's he doing here?”

 

Jinyoung who was oblivious to Jaebum's sudden change in expression, notices he's staring head on with Mark.

 

“It-it’s a long story hyung. Besides that, I was just going to head over with him to Jackso-”

 

“No.” Jinyoung looks up in surprise at the elder’s sudden refusal. What's wrong with him…

 

Hyung I'm fine, Mark isn't dangerous.” Jinyoung pulls on Jaebum's arm with his intact hand.

 

Jaebum's face doesn't get softer in the slightest when he meets eyes with Jinyoung. “I said no Jinyoung.” Jaebum is furious, simply restraining himself from punching Mark was proving difficult.

 

Jinyoung is taken aback. He understood that Jaebum was just taking care of him, but wasn't this too much? “Hyung…”

 

“Let's go Jinyoung.” Jaebum turns on his heels and backs out to the entrance of the hospital.

 

Jinyoung turns back to look at Mark, ignoring the patients staring at them. “I'll text you.” Mark's voice is soft and understanding.

 

“I'm sorry Mark.” Jinyoung nods his head in shame.

 

“It's okay… he's just doing his best to protect you.” Mark reaches forward unexpectedly, his hand lifting up Jinyoung’s chin. “Yah, don’t feel guilty.” Jinyoung feels the stinging pain in his eyes, and he nods, shaking his head.

 

“See you.” Jinyoung doesn’t wait for Mark’s reply, nor does he look Mark in the eye as he treads quickly to catch up to Jaebum. More so, Jinyoung can not understand why his eyes are stinging, like the sting of fresh tears are approaching.

 

Even when Jinyoung’s parents had left him, he had not cried; so why for this stranger, he had barely met? This doesn’t make any sense. Jinyoung can’t shake the eerie legend that his grandmother told him so long ago, and he’s not quite sure why that bothers him.

 


“Jinyoung, why were you with him?” Jaebum’s voice interrupts the silence that had filled the car.

 

“I told you it’s a long story hyung.” Jinyoung doesn’t bother to meet Jaebum’s eyes as he continues to stare out the window.

 

“What the s been going on Jinyoung, stop being so damn secretive.” Jaebum speeds the car up and Jinyoung can feel the force pushing his body against the seat.

“Remember the legend my grandma told me when I was young?” Jinyoung mumbles quietly as Jaebum finally slows down. “He’s that person, the one with red hair.”

 

Jaebum slams on the breaks, ing Jinyoung forward, his seatbelt slapping against his chest. The roads are empty, and thank god for that. “He’s the person that’s supposed to protect you? How do you know? What the actual !?” Jaebum’s voice is loud, ringing in Jinyoung’s ears.

 

“I just know hyung. I can’t explain it.” Jinyoung mumbles, the situation in the car turning tense.

 

Jaebum sighs, “what do you mean you just know?”

 

Jinyoung doesn’t answer, not even quite sure himself how he knows. “Jinyoung.” Jinyoung, for the first time, turns to look Jaebum in the eye.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Call them, we need to have a long talk.”