Chapter 2

Discontinued MarkJin Chapter Story

“Nghh…” Jinyoung stretches out his aching arms, his room flooded by darkness. What time is it?

 

8:30.

 

What!? Jinyoung shoots out of bed, , it takes a while to get to XXX.

 

Jinyoung grabs his phone and clambers out the door, not bothering to turn on his alarm. Jinyoung quickens his pace as he strides down the empty and dark streets, the thoughts of his dream still clouding his thoughts.

 

Grandma, do you think that was him? Jinyoung gulps, unsure of whether he’s nervous about getting back his ID or if he’s afraid of the man with red hair.

 

Jinyoung’s steps slow down as an empty building towers over him. The abandoned parking lot… great.

 

The parking lot used to belong to a large supermarket but when they ran out of business, the city didn’t bother to take down the eerie parking lot. The 3 floors empty of cars and people, nature slowly overgrowing it.

 

Who could they be… Jinyoung walks towards the large entrance of the parking lot, his untied sneakers dragging against the wet and cracked pavement.

 

Jinyoung lifts his aching arm to check his watch, 9:03… I’m late. Jinyoung quickens his pace, I need to get that ID back or else Jaebum hyung will kill me. But as Jinyoung wanders through the bottom floor of the parking lot, not a single light or figure is visible in the dark.

 

He waits; it’s not like he has a choice. The time ticks slowly, as Jinyoung feels his adrenaline filled body blend in with the cold winter air. , was this just a stupid prank?

 

Jinyoung’s doubt vanishes when he hears the solemn scratching sounds of footsteps creeping up from behind him. The boy whips around, his eyes met again with darkness- but not entirely. A tall figure slowly appears within Jinyoung’s line of sight, the same fiery red hair nestled underneath a black hoodie.

 

Grandma…is this really him? Jinyoung feels his heart throb through his shirt and hoodie.

 

“Looking for this?”

 

Jinyoung grits his teeth as the boy holds up a white card clasped between his two fingers. “Why do you have my ID card and what do you want with me?”

 

“In a building full of red, a single boy dying of a disease will be in need of your help. No matter how hard it becomes, you must protect this boy.”

 

Jinyoung is taken aback by the voice of the red-haired boy. The words are so nostalgic but yet, he has never heard them before.

 

“A man clothed in black, his red hair shining in the sun, his two brown eyes gleaming with fury; he will protect you. That’s you isn’t it?”

 

The boy takes a step forward, his black hood falling onto his shoulders revealing his red hair.

 

It really is him, isn’t it grandma. “What’s your name?” Jinyoung looks straight into the eyes of the boy, the pair of brown eyes truly gleaming with fury.

 

“Mark.”

 

“Mark, why did you take my ID card?” All the hatred that had led the two up to this point had suddenly disappeared.

 

“If I had simply asked you to come here, you would have never come.”

 

To those words, Jinyoung can only agree silently. “Well? Give me back my ID card.” Jinyoung holds out his pale hands, his arm stricken with pain.

 

“I’m sorry.” Mark mutters under his breath as he places the white card in Jinyoung’s hand.

 

“No, it’s okay.” Jinyoung gives a small smile as he slips his ID card into his back pocket.

 

Mark turns his back and walks to the entrance of the parking lot. “Follow me.” He demands, his voice turning cold.

 

“Why-”

 

“Just follow me.” Mark doesn't look back to make sure Jinyoung is following him, but nevertheless the weary boy follows in the footsteps of him.

 

Grandma, what’s going to happen to the two of us?

 


 

“Hey dude, why’re you here this late? Who’s that kid?”

 

Mark ignores the loud questions from his friend Jackson as he treads into the small building; his wet sneakers marking the floor.

 

“Dude, your shoes!” Jackson tackles Mark and wrestles to pull off his black muddy shoes.

 

All Jinyoung can do is stand in the doorway of the room and stare down at the mess of the floor. The longer he spends with Mark, Jinyoung feels more and more like Mark is a crude person.

 

He treats his friends so badly.

 

Hey Jinyoung, hurry up in here before Jackson closes the door on your nose!”

 

The sharp and cut throat voice snaps Jinyoung out of his thoughts.

 

The somewhat short boy stands inches away from Jinyoung, his brown eyes giving Jinyoung a look down. “Hey, you don't look quite that bad now, Jinyoung.”

 

For some reason, the words send shivers down Jinyoung’s spine and all he wants to do right now is run out of this house. But Jinyoung swallows, his throat feeling dry, and he walks past Jackson and slowly makes his way to Mark- the red haired boy who found his position flat in the middle of Jackson's living room.

 

“Why did you bring me here?” Jinyoung stands firmly, his two feet planted down; a sudden surge of adrenaline powering him.

 

“Sit your down.” Mark does not even open his closed eyes to answer and Jinyoung can feel his anger bubbling inside him.

 

“Look here, I don't care if you're my savior or whatever, I have a right to know why you brought me here out of all other places.” Jinyoung curses at himself. He knows he's arguing over a stupid thing but for some reason, he can't stop.

 

Mark sighs, his eyes open now as he gets up to face Jinyoung head on. “Okay, you want a reason? You're here so I can ing protect you, that's it. If you want something else out of this, you might as well just leave. I have enough to deal with right now.”

 

Jinyoung scoffs as he takes a step forward, his face inches away from Marks’. “Well, then I'll do you a favour. I don't need your your protection. I don't even see any reason that I would be in trouble, so let's just go our own ways. Thanks for dragging me all the way here for nothing, .” He spits out his final insult harshly, whipping around before Mark can reply.

 

Jinyoung marches out the door, ignoring Jackson's opened eyes and mouth; slamming the door behind him. Jinyoung storms down the dark and wet path and he's thankful that he doesn't hear any footsteps chasing after him. Ugh, I'm so fricking done with that prick.

 

*Ba dump*

 

. Jinyoung falls down to his knees, his hand clutching his chest. God, why now? Jinyoung grits his teeth, the pain accompanied with every beat of his heart sends Jinyoung’s nerves into a frenzy.

 

Jinyoung shakingly grabs his cellphone from his pocket. , its past 11, there's no way he'll pick up.

 

The phone rings loudly in Jinyoung’s ear, and with each ring, hope drains through him. But,

 

“Hello? Jinyoung, why are you calling me? It’s so damn la-”

 

Jinyoung coughs heavily, barely able to withstand the pain now, the edges of his vision turning black.

 

“Yah Jinyoung, what's wrong, where are you?” Jaebum’s voice is fully alert now, and the line is quiet as Jaebum waits for a response.

 

“Hyung, I'm at XXX -cough- hurry please..”

 

“ Jinyoung, give me second I'll be there as fast as I can okay?” Jaebum doesn't wait for a response before he cuts the line.

 

Jinyoung leans against a concrete wall, his breathing thick. His vision blurring and the pain in his chest not wavering.

 

...

 

Hey, are you okay?”

 

Jinyoung looks up to the voice, his head pounding with every slight movement.

 

A tall boy in a grey hoodie is towering over him, his face young and fresh. “Hey what's wrong? Are you hurt somewhere?” The boy kneels down and stares Jinyoung right in the eye.

 

Jinyoung opens his mouth to speak, but no words come out. God damn..

 

“It's too cold out here, my house is nearby, come on.” The boy leans in closer to put Jinyoung's arm over his shoulder. Jinyoung tries to refuse, but at this point, his body has left him defenseless.

 

As the boy slowly shuffles back the way Jinyoung had came from, Jinyoung can only stare down at the ground, cursing at himself for not being able to muster any strength.

 

When the boy finally stops and kicks the door with his foot, Jinyoung can feel the painful throb in his chest die down.

 

“Yah hyung, hurry up and open the door!” The boy’s voice laced with worry for the half unconscious boy hanging on his shoulder.

 

“Bambam? What's wro- oh my god, Jinyoung!”

 

That voice… Jackson?

 

You know him hyung? I found him passed out on the sidewalk, so I brought him here.” Bambam voice is confused as he lets Jackson take Jinyoung off his shoulder.

 

“Yeah he’s-”

 

“Mark?” Jinyoung doesn't get a second to recognize the name before he's swept up by a pair hands.

 

This time, a voice comes out. “A-ah..”

 

“Oh what, you were awake?” Mark's voice is teasing and Jinyoung can feel his teeth grind in annoyance.

 

“Put me down.” Jinyoung voices firmly. There was no way he was going to admit that he was weak, especially in front of Mark.

 

“If I did, would you be able to stand?” Mark chuckles under his breath and places Jinyoung down on Jackson's couch.

 

“Hey hyung, who is he, and why do you guys know him?” Bambam’s voice way too cheerful for the situation at hand.

 

“He came in with Mark, and stormed out seconds later after arguing with him. Honestly, all I know about him is his name.”

 

“Hey you two, can't you talk about this another time?” Mark's rough voice silences the two boys, and they stare back down at Jinyoung.

 

The boy is quiet, his normal complexion turned pale, a cold sweat forming on his forehead, and his breathing uneven.

 

“Jinyoung what's wrong with you... is it possibly-”

 

Jinyoung’s phone rings from the pocket of his hoodie.

 

Shoot, that's probably Jaebum hyung..

 

Jinyoung can't lift his hand to stop Mark as he reaches into Jinyoung's pocket and pulls out his phone. “Hel-”

 

“Jinyoung where are you!?” Jaebum’s voice is so loud that everyone in the room can hear his voice.

 

“He's with me, who are you?” Mark's eyebrows are scrunched together as he stares off into the distance, waiting for a response.

 

“Who the hell are you and why do you have Jinyoung's phone?”

 

“Relax, I didn't kidnap him or whatever stupid idea you're thinking of, kid. He's lying right in front of me.”

 

“Where is he!” Mark pulls the phone away from Jaebum's sudden outburst.

 

“Just wait.” Mark cuts the line and gently places the phone back into the unmoving Jinyoung. Then he stands up and looks Bambam in the eye. “Go outside and fetch him.”

 

“Is he safe?” Jinyoung is confused at Bambam’s sudden hesitation. Safe?

 

“Just get him.” Mark growls and Bambam quickly runs out the door.

 

“Mark.”

 

Mark shifts his eyes to the figure standing in front of him. Jackson.

 

“You know what happens if-”

 

“Jinyoung's here Jackson.” Mark glares at Jackson and Jinyoung can only feel the sense of something hiding between the two’s words.

 

“Hyung, I brought him.”

 

Jinyoung’s eyes light up as he spots Jaebum standing behind Bambam in the doorway. “Hyung…” Jinyoung’s voice cracks at the single word and he breaks into a fit of coughing.

 

“Yah Jinyoung!” Mark turns around to walk over to Jinyoung, but before he can even take a step forward, Jaebum has run in from the door to Jinyoung’s side.

 

“Jinyoung..” Jaebum brings out a small white capsule and pops it open. “Why the hell did you forget to bring your pills, in fact, why the hell are you even here?” Jaebum lectures Jinyoung as he gives him a white pill to swallow. “God Jinyoung, if you’ve had an attack, then that must mean the vi-”

 

“It’s not a big deal Jaebum.” Jinyoung mumbles as he’s finally able to speak, the pain completely subsided.

 

“Don’t give me that crap Jinyoung, stop acting like it’s no big deal okay? The virus can kill you and you know that.” Jinyoung bites his lip because he knows Jaebum is right.

 

“What virus, hyung what is he talking about?”

 

Jaebum’s head whips around to meet the 3 boys stuck in motion. Jaebum’s face is not in Jinyoung's line of sight, but he knows; Jaebum is staring Mark straight in the eyes.

 

“You…”

 

Shoot. Jinyoung immediately reaches out for Jaebum’s arm. “Jaebum hyung.” but Jaebum can’t see anything but Mark as he lunges forward, his hand curled into a tight fist. Jinyoung gasps as Jaebum’s fist meets Mark’s face, the boy staggering backwards from the sheer force of the punch.

 

“You bastard!” Jackson leaps forward and lands a hit on Jaebum’s cheek, Bambam attempting to stop the two before a full fight breaks out.

 

I’ve got to stop them! “Jaebum!” Jinyoung calls out informally but Jaebum doesn’t respond, his eyes filled with anger as the two land punches on each other. He’s not listening. Jinyoung lifts his heavy feet off of the couch and walks up to Jaebum.

 

Don’t get involved.

 

“Jaeb-” Jinyoung lifts his hand onto Jaebum's shoulder, straining to get a look at the elder’s eyes.

 

“Jinyoung!”

 

A solid punch echoes through the room, and time stops. Jaebum whips around and Jinyoung can see as he falls backwards, his eyes clouded with worry; the traces of anger gone.

 

Jinyoung coughs heavily, the punch leaving him out of breath and weak. Jaebum runs to him and quickly soothes Jinyoung's back. Jinyoung sweats, unable to catch his breath as his lungs fill with air.

 

“Let's go back Jinyoung.” Jaebum gives a small glance over to the three standing motionless.

 

“Yeah… let's go.” Jinyoung takes a deep breath and grits his teeth as he pulls on Jaebum for support; his legs feeling weak as he attempts to stand.

 

“Hey..” Jaebum grips onto Jinyoung's arm and pulls it over his shoulder, ushering the boy to lean on him.

 

And as Jinyoung looks down at his feet as he limps out the door, he can't even look mark in the eye.

 

I'm sorry.

 

The words randomly register in Jinyoung's blank mind as he rests himself in Jaebum's car.

 

Who…

 

Jinyoung can't think, as his mind slowly slips into unconsciousness.

 


It's dark. Pressure pushing down on the boy's chest, preventing circulation of his lungs. It hurts… The pain increases, he tries to escape, but he's stuck. Where am I? The boy is panicked now, a cold sweat forming on his brow. Someone… anyone… The boy struggles to breathe, what little oxygen left in his lungs, gone. H-help… His body sinking deeper and deeper, his gasps swallowed up by darkness.

 

I’m here.

 

The boy pulls a final effort as he reaches out into the darkness, searching for something to grab onto. But his vision fades, his body almost completely engulfed by darkness.

 

“Jionyoufjnsgsa.” The boy completely drowned in darkness, only his hand stuck in motion, still reaching. “Jinyou… Jinyoung, Jinyoung!”

 

Jinyoung's eyes snap wide open, sweat dripping down his face, his clothes clinging to his damp body. What…

 

“Jinyoung! Are you okay?” Jinyoung looks over to the side, Jaebum is practically hanging over him, a look of worry in his eyes.

 

Jinyoung clears his throat, a small itch bothering him. “Yeah… what happened?”

 

Jaebum sits back down on the chair beside Jinyoung's bed. He's back home. “You fell asleep last night, and I carried you in, and I was too afraid to leave you alone, and-”

 

“Okay, I get it hyung.” Jinyoung cracks a small smile, finding the elder’s protectiveness quite amusing. “Hey hyung, can you grab me some water?” Jinyoung mumbles, his throat dry from his nightmare.

 

“Yeah.” Jaebum stands up immediately and leaves Jinyoung alone in his room.

 

I wonder if he's okay…

 

Jinyoung holds onto his head, the voice pounding loudly. Who's voice is that?...

 

“Here's your wa- yah Jinyoung.” Jaebum walks into the room, setting down the water immediately. “What's wrong Jinyoung, is it the virus, or..”

 

“It's not that hyung.” Jinyoung grimaces slightly, the pounding in his head dying.

 

“ Jinyoung. We need to get you checked up, the virus is back, oh my god…”

 

“Hyung, calm down. You make it sound like you're the one that has the disease.” Jinyoung gives a small chuckle and brings his feet onto the floor.

 

Jaebum sighs and gulps down the cup of water he had brought for Jinyoung. “It's not something to joke about Jinyoung.”

 

“Yeah yeah… hyung did you just drink the water?” Jinyoung's playful expression fades as he stares at the empty cup on the table.

 

Jaebum looks down at the seemingly full cup of water, to notice that it's completely dry. “W-what… sorry Jinyoung, I don't know what came over me.” Jaebum picks up the cup and quickly returns out of the room.

 

-Beep-

 

Jinyoung's phone buzzes beside him. I wonder who… Jinyoung anxiously picks up his phone to read the text. It's Mark.

 

-Meet me in front of the hospital, alone.-

 

Jinyoung stares down in shock at the sudden message.

 

-After what happened yesterday? No thanks.-

 

There was no way in hell that Jinyoung was going to meet up with Mark, whether it be because he's shy, or because the last person he wants to see, is Mark.

 

-I… I need to talk to you about something. I'll be waiting.-

 

Jinyoung lets out a sigh. Why can't he just text me…

 

“Here Jinyoung.” Jaebum comes in yet again with a cup of water in his hand.

 

“Hyung, I'm going to take walk okay?” Jinyoung nods his head in gratitude as he gulps down the water.

 

“Yeah sure, let me grab my jacket and-”

 

“I want to go by myself hyung.” Jinyoung places down the cup of water, searching through Jaebum's eyes in an attempt to make him understand.

 

Jaebum thinks for several seconds before answering. “Okay fine… but be back here by 1, and text me when you get back okay?” Jaebum says sternly, his brow furrowed with worry.

 

“Thanks hyung.” Jinyoung gives a bright smile as he ushers Jaebum out of his room so he can change.

 

Jinyoung quickly slips on a pair of ripped jeans and a plain white T-shirt, contemplating the weather for a second before grabbing a thick jacket and scarf. When Jinyoung is finally satisfied with his attire, he walks out of his room, the elder already gone.

 

Sorry hyung. Jinyoung feels slightly guilty for lying to Jaebum, knowing that he very much did not like Mark. It's not like I like him either. Jinyoung blames the stupid probably made up legend that his grandma had told him.

 

-Sigh- Whatever.