New Day

Comeback, Brother!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 45: New Day

 

A year later

February, 2017

 

#bgm: Kang Seungyoon - Have you ever falling in love

Jihyo still cuddled up on her bed, covered by a pastel blue blanket as the bright sunshine beat down through the window.

“Good morning, birthday girl~” A guy leaned over to whisper it on Jihyo’s ear.

But Jihyo was still hesitating.

He tried again. “Ya~ wake uuu~p..”

This time, Jihyo opened her eyes and started to sit. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and then tried to recognize the person in front of her. “Uhm, Youngjae?”

“Yes, it’s me.. let’s go..” He said it as he held Jihyo’s hand and asked her to follow him.

 

Still in her long pajama, Jihyo struggled in following Youngjae. He led her to go downstairs, and there, her parents were already waiting for her in the dining room.

 

“Saengil chuka hamnida.. Saengil chuka hamnidaa.. Saranghaneun uri Jihyo.. Saengil chuka hamnidaaa..” They sang a birthday song together with a birthday cake in their hands.

“What’s this?” Jihyo was still surprised by it.

But they ignored her question and moved to the next step of celebration. “Just make a wish before blowing the candle, Jihyo..”

Jihyo could only obey, she closed her eyes before praying and then blowing the candle.

“Yeaaayy... Now, just slice the cake..” her mom said that as she gave a knife to Jihyo.

Jihyo sliced the cake and gave it to her mom. “Happy birthday, Jihyo ya..” Her mom gave a kiss on her cheek after receiving that cake. She also gave it to her dad, and her dad was hugging her warmly.

And then she wanted to slice the cake for Youngjae but he even added, “Make it bigger..”

Jihyo eyed him for a moment, and then fulfilling his wish by gave him a big slice of cake. “Here for you..”

Youngjae smiled and then took the cake Jihyo gave. With that, he wanted to feed Jihyo the cake. “Open your mouth.. The birthday girl need to eat it too..”

Jihyo chuckled before obeying his order, she opened and eat the cake Youngjae gave.

Jihyo’s parents were smiling to see Jihyo eat the cake. Somehow this simple birthday party could become a nice memory for them.

“Don’t you want to ask your birthday present, Jihyo ya?” Mrs. Park asked Jihyo.

“No.. This is enough mom.. You’re all here is enough for me.” Jihyo answered as she smiled.

“No.. this is not enough..” Her mom directly argued. She added, “We have planned another birthday party for you..”

“We reserved whole dad’s restaurant tonight, special for you..” Her dad added.

But Jihyo didnt look excited. “I’m not a little kid anymore, mom, dad.. I don’t need a birthday party..”

“Noo.. Today is special because now you reach your legal age, Jihyo ya.. It should be celebrated.” Her mom argued.

“Moreover, Youngjae has invited your friends, so you just need to come.." her dad added.

Jihyo turned to see Youngjae and asked, “Really?”

He answered with a firm nod.

“Aaah, you really don’t need to do it..”

“We don’t want an objection.” Her dad jokingly shaking his head.

Her mom concluded, “Just think about it later. Now, let’s just have a breakfast..”

 

They shifted to the meals next to the cake and had breakfast together while talking about birthday party. Jihyo still insisted that she didn’t need a birthday party, while her parents also insisted that she need a birthday party.

Once they finished their breakfast, Mrs. Park directly said, “Jihyo ya, wash your face and get ready..”

Jihyo was surprised. “Get ready? For what?”

“Youngjae wants to take you somewhere..” Her mom answered shortly.

She directly turned to see Youngjae. “Where?”

“Somewhere far..” Youngjae answered as he tried to hold his laugh.

Knowing that Jihyo wanted to argue, her mom pushed her to go upstairs. “Just get ready.. I’ll help you.”

Youngjae and Mr. Park were laughing to see Jihyo's confused face.

 

After a moment, Jihyo was back downstairs, fully dress.

She directly asked Youngjae. “Where will you actually want to take me with making me dress in layered like this?”

Youngjae laughed softly to hear it. “We’re going to go to Taebaeksan mountain..”

“What? Taebaeksan Mountain?? You’re not kidding me, aren’t you?" Jihyo got another surprise.

“I’m serious..”

Didn't want to see Jihyo arguing with Youngjae, her mom pushed them to the front door. “Just end your chit chat and go.. You’ll miss your bus if you're still arguing like this..”

Jihyo and Youngjae could only obey and waved good bye at them.

 

But once the gate closed, Jihyo threw another question. “Youngjae ya.. Why’d you want to take me to Taebaeksan Mountain? Why the mountain suddenly?”

“Hish, don’t you listen to your mom saying? We’ll be late if you ask so many question..”

“But I need to know. I deserve to know.." Jihyo insisted.

Youngjae heaved a sigh. “Alright. I will explain it to you after we reached the bus. So why don’t you believe me and take my hand now, uhm?" He opened his hand, waiting Jihyo to take it.

But she hesitated, somehow she worried about something she didn't know.

But Youngjae was still waiting for her. He offered his hand one more time. “Uhm?”

Jihyo took a deep breath and took his hand. “Okay..”

#bgm: Far East Movement - Rocketeer

 

They went to Dong Seoul Terminal and rode the bus to Taebaek city. They sat in two-seated row, Jihyo sat next to the window and Youngjae sat next to her.

After a few moment, Jihyo asked again. Now we’ve reached the bus, why don’t you tell me the reason?”

Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Huh this girl really.. Do you really dislike hang out with me today?”

“I don’t dislike the idea, I’m just questioning why you choose a mountain out all of the other things, exactly in this season..” Jihyo tried to remind him that it was still in the winter.

“You’ll figure it out once you climb the mountain.." Youngjae answered shortly.

But that made Jihyo threw a smirk on him. “You don’t keep your promise..”

Youngjae sighed and then answered, “Alright. Do you want the real reason or true reason?”

This time, Jihyo was the one who sigh. “Don’t beat around the bush, Jae.. It’s the same..”

Knowing that Jihyo couldn't take his joke, he finally gave up. “Fine. The reason I take you far is because your parents don’t want you to disturb the preparation of your birthday party. They already guessed that you will refuse it, so.. in order to make sure you’re not interrupting them, they send you out with me.. To Taebaeksan mountain which needs each of 3,5 hours a way plus hours to climb the mountain. So, you can only come home when they finished.. Clear?”

Jihyo tried to absorb Youngjae long sentence, and in the end she could only sigh. “Aaah, I don’t need a birthday party.. It’s embarrassing.. I’m not a five years old kid..”

“Embarrassing? You should feel excited instead. Don’t you realize that this is the first birthday you spend with your parents after all these years?" said Youngjae, tried to remind Jihyo the intention of this birthday party. He continued, “You should understand how they feel.. They just want to create a good memory with you..”

Listened to what Youngjae say, Jihyo realized this birthday wasn’t for her, but her parents. At least they are happy, Jihyo thought. "Alright then.. I'm sorry.." she said to Youngjae.

Seeing Jihyo has surrender, Youngjae laughed. “Huh.. I don’t believe this little girl has reached legal age..”

“Little girl?" Jihyo pouted. " I’m mature now..”

“Geez.." Youngjae laughed happily to see Jihyo act mature. But in the end of his laugh, he sighed. Then he looked up to Jihyo and asked, "Jihyo ya.. If you’re mature, then can you answer this question honestly?”

Jihyo furrowed her eyebrows.  “Question? About what?”

Youngjae carefully mentioned the name, “Jaebum hyung..”

Even only with his name, it could make Jihyo change her expression.

But Youngjae even added the question. “Are you sometimes still thinking about him?”

Jihyo disliked the questions. She didn't like to be reminded about Jaebum. So, she tried to avoid the question with asking back,  “What are you talking about?”

But Youngjae's next words shot her down. ”Do you still love him?”

Jihyo froze. She didn't want to answer, but Youngjae insisted. “Answer it...”

“No..." A word finally came out from her lips.

But Youngjae didn't buy it. “You’re lying..”

“I’m not.." Jihyo tried to convince him, but her words are shaking.

Youngjae chuckled. “Still trying to lie..”

His words made Jihyo mad. She faced Youngjae and asked, “What do you really want, Jae?”

Youngjae faced her and said, “You never told me what was actually happened between you and Jaebum hyung after he left. Every time I asked you, you just say that it's over. But, really?”

Jihyo took a deep breath before answering, “I never told you because there was nothing happened, Jae.. He left me a letter, telling me that he loved me as I am not me when I’m being possessed by oppa. But that was all. He left after leaving me that letter. I sent him multiple messages trying to let him know, that I loved him too, that I wanted him stay.. that I wanted him back." Jihyo was having difficulty to tell the story, but she continued, "But.. I only got one reply ‘I know.. See you again Jihyo ya..’ That was all. After sending me that message, his number was inactive. I couldn’t reach him at all. And he didn’t contact me.. Until now..” Jihyo explained in emotion. And in the end she concluded,  “So yes, it’s over, right?”

Youngjae looked at Jihyo deeply. He knew that Jihyo still had the feeling for Jaebum. It was seen clearly, but Youngjae was silent.

Jihyo bent her head down and softly said, “Having you here next to me is enough, Jae.."

Listened to her words, Youngjae felt a bit guilty about bringing up the topic. He held her hand and said, “I’m sorry..”

 

After 3,5 hours long bus trip, they finally reached Taebaek City. There, they rode another bus to the gate of Mt. Taebaeksan. In the bus, they met another hikers who also want to go hiking. They had a chit chat about their experience of hiking. One of them has ever hiking in the Halla san, the highest mountain in South Korea. He gave courage to Jihyo who was hiking for the first time. Jihyo who previously didn't like to meet new people, now enjoying the conversation with them. From them she knew that the world is so wide and there are still many things Jihyo hasn't try to do.

 

As they reached the gate of the mountain, they were welcomed by the white and glittering snow covered all the landscape. It was a clear and sunny day, yet they immediately shivered when they get off the bus.

Youngjae told Jihyo to put spikes cover under her shoes, hat, hood, and walking sticks. But with this outfit somehow scared Jihyo. There was a doubt in her heart whether she could make it to the top or not. But Youngjae convinced her, that even if it would be slow as snail, he sure Jihyo could make it.

#bgm: Park Hyoshin - Wild Flower

Mt. Taebaek is 1,567 m high. Even it wasn't the highest mountain in South Korea, it was such a hard challenge for Jihyo. The first 100 m climb, Jihyo was already losing breath. The snow was thick enough to make them drawned to their ankles, but the way for hikers was already cleaned and hardened, so it rather easy for the hikers to climb. The view to their left and right was wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter