A Fortune-teller and A Girls' Night In?

Her Daily Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A girls’ night out was something the girls did every month, a routine. When they basically went to stores that sold cute things, a fortune teller stall, went to go bowling, billiard, even an arcade. Going to a fortune teller stall might sound silly, especially for grown up women. But they did it anyway, there was fun in it, courtesy of Kwon Yuri.

So bringing their shopping bags, the girs that consisted Jessica, Sooyoung, Taeyeon, and Yuri got inside the dark, mystic looking stall which was surprisingly bigger than what looked like from outside. They still had to walk down the dark narrow ways with candles hung on the wall every one meter. Enough to send chills down their spines.

“Are you sure we’re going to a place like this?” Jessica, being the one scared at literally everything, of course wasn’t very sure about this. “where the heck is the fortune teller anyways? Why is this place so big?”

“Yah be quiet.” Yuri literally dragged them with too much force, being the one who suggested the idea. “You do remember the last time we went to a fortune teller didn’t go very well, don’t you?” the dark-haired girl grinned sheepishly at the tallest among them.

It had been a disastrous moment. Yuri had yelled at the fortune teller woman just because the only things she told her were the bad ones; she said Yuri would be broke for the rest of the year and her love life was horrible; that the guy of her dream wouldn’t reciprocate her feelings. Of course Yuri didn’t believe her, or rather wouldn’t want to believe her. So she yelled at the woman, “Who are you to say that to me?! Fortune-teller is stupid. All of these are stupid! No one can judge my future!” Not even sparing a glance, she stomped out of the dark room leaving the three confused.

Yet the things the woman said eventually came true. She spent too much money on useless things and ended up broke and the guy of her dream rejected her before she even tried to say anything to him.

“I’m pretty sure about this. After a disastrous year I deserve some happines in my life, I’ll hear some good news, don’t ya think?” Sooyoung shrugged. While Jessica was looking scared as ever. And the strange smell wasn’t helping at all.

And they faced the red curtains at the dead-end. Slowly opening the curtains, they walked in to see an encentric woman with big rings on each fingers. Tarot cards were spread on the table. She had an all-too-familiar crystal-ball in front of her. The room was dark that they barely could make out anything beside the ones that were on the table. The only source of lights were the dim yellow lamp on the corner of the room and a candle on the table.

“Hello, Madam,” Yuri spoke and positioned herself in front of the woman, and the three of them followed. The woman looked up through the round glasses and Jessica could feel the hairs on her neck were starting to raise.

“My name’s Yuri and I want to hear how my financial is this year or anything about my future that you could read.”

“Give me your hand.” Jessica almost jumped on her spot hearing her croaky voice. “Oh? I thought we’re using some kind of cards?” The scary woman didn’t say anything so Yuri extended her hand for her to take a look.

It didn’t take long before the woman spread her tarots and let Yuri pick it.

“Hmm... the same result,” she mumbled. Yuri waited in anticipation. “Your financial’s stable and...”

“...and?

The woman crooked her eyebrows. “Nothing.”

“Nothing? You can say anything, really. I’m ready!” She wasn’t going to let it end just like that. She paid a good money for this. “Yes, that is all. Your life will be pretty much going normal, nothing you should worry about. Hm yeah.” The woman nodded her head two times.

“Now next!”

The rest of the three didn’t move an inch. No one really wanted to do this silly future-reading anyways. The tick of the clock sounded loud when none said anything as the woman eyed them one by one. Wanting to spend no more time in this place, Sooyoung cleared . “Ahem, actually we are kinda just accompanying our friend here and seems like it’s finished so–”

“YOU!” Sooyoung was sure her heart nearly jumped out of her chest. Her skinny finger was pointed right at Taeyeon’s nose. Taeyeon gulped.  “Y-yes?” she squeaked.

“Be careful of that romantic maniac.”

Taeyeon looked at the woman, unsure of what to react.

One second. Two seconds. Three seconds of silence.

“AHAHAHAHAHAH OHMYGOD!” Sooyoung’s completely out of place laughters filled the damned room. If her guess was right then she might know whom she was referring to. “Oh guys!” She wiped her tears. “Don’t you all get it? It’s a freaking maniac ahahahahah! Who else is head-over-heels for Tae and is a maniac! Aren’t I right, Madam?” Sooyoung asked a little too friendly and the woman nodded quite awkwardly, as that was the first time someone had laughed so hard in that holy place of hers.

Sooyoung couldn’t quite believe that she was the only one who knew who was the woman talking about. It was damn obvious.

Yuri opened . Sooyoung thought she was gonna give a guess yet the words that came out of were, “Wait, you got to tell her about her love life yet you couldn’t even say anything exciting for me? Are you playing a joke on me?! What’s your problem?”

Sooyoung facepalmed. ‘There she goes again.’

Sooyoung faced the woman again and got quite terrified by the menacing looks she was giving her. ‘What the hell is she reading from me?’ So she stared back at her. Now they looked like they were having a staring contest. She pulled Sooyoung’s hand without a warning.

“Choi Sooyoung, isn’t it? Hmm... interesting.”

“What? What’s interesting?!” Jessica asked. It was quite a surprise for her to be interested. “I can’t really tell. It’s about... boys.” Her eyes narrowed. Losing whatever chill was left, Yuri hit the table hard. “BOYS?! As if boyS?”

Sooner or later she might flip the table.

“Sshh be quiet, young woman. I’m concentrating. Now, pick a card.” Sooyoung randomly picked one card without even looking at them. “I can’t really tell, young woman. It’s too blurry I can’t make out anything. One thing that I know for sure is that he’s someone you know and is close with.”

“Well, i’m literally close with everyone. Be it boys or girls,” Sooyoung replied casually and  the woman didn’t respond, she turned to the only woman left. “Ah and as for you, Jessica, is it? Something good might happen to you.”

She gave a crooked smile and muttered a thank you.

“Now shoo, shoo! Time’s up. Get out or a bad luck will hit all of you for the rest of the month.” They hurriedly stood up, and without sparing any glance and words, they walked out of the dark mystical room, scared of the bad luck.

The chilly and crisp night breeze slapped their cheeks once they got to breath normally again, filling as much oxygen as they could to their lungs.

“Crazy old woman.”

“Ha! You said that because she didn’t tell you something exciting.”

“Oh shut it, Choi.”

***

The four of them reached Jessica’s house by the time the clock showed nine pm. Since Jessica was home alone that day, they decided to throw a sudden and unprepared pajamas’ party.

There were so many ballons in her house as Jessica’s younger sister, Krystal’s birthday was just two days ago and her friends had thrown a surprise party for her in her room. So and they decided to keep the balloons.

They put a large and fluffy carpet on the living room and brought out Jessica and Krystal’s plushies and pillows, every single one of them. The music was blasting off from her music player.

“Can we all just have a normal sleepover like normal girls in their twenties normally do, though?” Taeyeon asked as she watched Yuri and Jessica bringing more and more dolls to the living room. She didn’t even know that they had that many.

“Come on, Tae. That’s boring.”

“Might as well doing the pillow fight then?” Sooyoung asked as she stepped out of Krystal’s room bringing thick blankets to the now-fluffy living room. “That’s the idea!” Yuri chirped. With one move, she gave her a you-can’t-be-serious look.

“Aren’t we too old for that?” Taeyeon had asked exactly what was on Sooyoung’s mind.

“Nah. We’re never too old for these things,” Yuri said as she spread all of the blankets and set the plushies based on their size. “Should we hang a ‘no boys allowed’ banner in the door outside then?” Sooyoung asked to no one in particular and Jessica laughed.

“Let’s all lie down on this damn soft carpet first and talk about life while Sooyoung plays the guitar,” Yuri  spoke as she lied and grabbed the nearest plush from her that was a panda.

Sooyoung raised an eyebrow. “I thought you were so excited about the pillow fight?” she slapped Sooyoung’s hand.

Just then they heard the bell rang. The owner of the house got up from her lying position and made her way to the front door. She opened the door, revealing a rather cheery Byun Baekhyun with a chee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter