'Love at First Sight' Clichés

The Ridiculous Chronicles of a Shy, Gay Boy

"Oh NaNa" by K.A.R.D


 

Once the bus arrived at their destination, Hyojun first went to drop Hanui off at the middle school nearby, before going on to join the other teens entering SM High's premises.

It was a wide building that erects at four-stories high, with its clean walls painted dark red and had tall, blue windows. A vast, grassy field surrounds it, while lying over it was a path of cement, that lead to a broad staircase where the glass doors stood. Many students were scattered throughout campus, either conversing amongst themselves, or arriving in whichever vehicle they rode in.

Hyojun gulps, readjusting his backpack, and 'oh my god, I'm so nervous, my knees are wobbling.' He takes a deep breath, putting on a determined expression.

"You can do this," he tries his best to encourage himself, approaching the entrance. "You're gonna be fine, dude, don't be such a baby, now."

Upon going inside, as he searches for the office, he stares in awe over how shiny and pristine the whole place appears to be. 'Wow, my old school never looked anything like this. Are most of the kids here rich?' he thought. 'I must thank Yunho-ssi for doing this for me and Hanui.'

Managing to find the front desk, Hyojun shuffles over to it, and patiently waits for someone he can direct to. Most of the people there were students as well, though besides working, they were also using their phones and chatting with each other.

A lithe figure suddenly appears in front of the desk, and Hyojun saw that a pretty girl was standing there. Her wavy, dark hair framed her pale face, and her lips were curled into a cordial smile.

"Can I help you?" she asks. Hyojun glances at the white tag pinned to her uniform jacket, the name 'Bae Juhyun' engraved on it.

"Ah, yes," he began, fiddling with the sleeve cuffs― a nervous habit of his ever since childhood. "I... I'm here to inquire about my class schedule, as I'm―as I'm a new student and such."

"Damn, so formal," a brunette girl floats over (when she got closer, he saw that her name tag reads 'Kang Seulgi'), and leant against the counter, giving Hyojun a brief once-over. "Not bad, though. He's also kinda adorable." she remarks, snickering when he grew flustered in response.

Juhyun rolls her eyes at Seulgi. "Yah, shouldn't you be working? You know how Ms. Lee gets when you slack off."

Seulgi's hands rose in defense. "Alright, sheesh, I'll go. Calm your every once and a while, man." she backs away, but instead of doing as told, she just went over to hang out with a few boys in the back of the room.

Sighing, Juhyun shakes her head in annoyance. "I don't know what to do with her sometimes, I swear," she redirects her attention back to Hyojun. "Sorry 'bout that, what'd you say you wanted again?"

"It-it's fine. Erm... oh! My schedule, please."

"Got it," Juhyun plops down on a seat near the computer. "First off, what's your name?"

"Min Hyojun."

She types his name into the search bar, the keys going tap-tap-tap under her swift fingers. "Hmm... ah, here you are." with a click of the mouse, the printer whirrs to life, and a clean sheet of paper shot out from its mouth within minutes.

"There you go," Juhyun hands the schedule to Hyojun. "You're in class C-9, and your homeroom teacher is Mr. Choi. Also, the school map's on the back, in case you ever get lost or something."

"Thanks a bunch," Hyojun said in a grateful tone. "Hope you have a nice day!" sending her a small wave, he then headed upstairs.

Hyojun flipped the sheet over to look at the back. "Okay, so... my class is on the 3rd floor..." he ascends the long flight of steps, carefully weaving his way around the vast crowd of people.

"Then I turn right... and it's the second-to-last room on the left... e-eh?"

All of a sudden, a blur of a figure sprints past him in a hasty manner, pushing him out of the way in the process. His balance teetered, and let gravity do the rest, cursing himself for not reacting fast enough to grab onto the railing. He felt like he was in a Hollywood action movie, as everything seemed to move in slow motion around him, and thinking he could see his life flash before his eyes.

'Oh great, is this how I die?' Hyojun thought. 'What a y way to go, though. And I haven't even unpacked all of my stuff, yet.'

However, just before he could be made into an embarrassing spectacle, something reached out to grasp his shoulders, which he soon realized were a firm pair of hands. Those very limbs pulled him flush against their chest, and Hyojun couldn't help (inappropriately) notice how broad and toned their physique feels.

"Woah, careful there," a deep, husky voice resonates from behind, causing shivers to run down his spine. "Falling down the stairs hurts like a , y'know."

The stranger chuckles, his warm breath tickling the shell of his ear, helping Hyojun stand upright. He turns around to give his thanks, but the moment he gazed upon him, everything he wanted to say immediately died from his lips.

The first thing Hyojun noticed about his savior was that he's a goddamn giant (like seriously, the dude's legit towering over him). Another fact was that he's incredibly handsome― his warm, honey-brown eyes was swept over by tousled, auburn hair, and his facial features were defined by a strong jaw and high cheekbones.

Hyojun could feel himself starting to swoon, and had to will his legs to stop quivering, like, 'I am not gonna fall down and embarrass myself again, especially not with this Adonis-reincarnate standing in front of me, and oh my god, heart, shut up, he can probaBLY HEAR YOU!'

Hyojun just stood there, his mouth opening and closing pathetically as garbled sounds were released, like he was a broken automaton that needed repairing. The other teen blinked at him, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"Err, something wrong?"

'Hyojun, you idiot, say something!'

"O-oh, umm, nothing! Nur―nothing's wrong, I mean," Hyojun stammers (god, he was terrible at keeping up with conversation). "I-I... I just..."

"Yeah?"

'JUST HURRY UP AND SAY IT ALREADY, OH MY GOD.'

"...love you so much!"

As soon as those words escaped his lips, a horrified expression befell upon Hyojun's face. His eyes widens to the size of dinner place, while both his face and neck heated up into a bright shade of tomato red. Strained wails in resemblance of a strangled kitten issues from the back of his throat, and never before had he ever wanted to cry so hard, until now.

'What the hell did I just say? And why the hell did I say that!? Oh my god, IwannadieIwannadieIwannadie, I WANT TO FREAKIN' DIIIIIIEEEEEE.'

"Uhh... say what?"

“I-I-I… I’m really sor-sor-sorry! Th-that came out wrong!”

‘Can someone kill me right now, please? Please? ‘Cause dying would be way less painful than having to deal with this.’


Suddenly, a loud bark of laughter cut itself through Hyojun's inner turmoil. The other boy was doubled over, his shoulders shaking, his already gorgeous face lighting up in mirth.

"God, you're weird," he said once he calmed down, a large, crooked grin tugging on his lips. "But I mean that in a good way. It's kinda endearing, actually."

Hyojun grew flustered at that, his cheeks turning into hot pink, and swore he could feel his heart soar all the way up into space.

"Who're you, by the way? My name's Chanyeol," said dreamboat introduces himself, extending a hand out to him.

Hyojun timidly shakes it, cursing the fact that his own were clammy and trembling. "M-Min Hyojun." he sent him a smile, but was pretty sure that it looked awkward more than anything.

"Hyojun, huh? Don't think I recognize you, though."

"Ye-yeah, I just transferred here today. I-I was looking for my classroom, actually."

"What room number is it? I can take you there if you want."

Trying to calm his racing heartbeat, Hyojun swallows nervously, "It-it-it's C-9."

"Oh, hey! I was just heading there, too."

"Ah, re-really? You-you-you're in the same class?" he asks in a light tone, not wanting to sound obviously hopeful at the prospect.

"Nah, mine's right across from it, though," Chanyeol replies. "I'm part of class C-10."

"O-oh..."

'Dammit. Eh, that's not so bad, I guess, we're still on the same floor.'

As the two walked up to the 3rd floor, Chanyeol began to ask some general questions to Hyojun― about life in Jeolla-do, his family, his interests and dislikes, and even suggested him some fun places in Seoul to visit. Although he was sure Chanyeol was only doing it to be polite and for conversation's sake, Hyojun felt touched by his effort to make small talk. He also felt giddy when they were exchanging personal information, despite how basic it was (such as Chanyeol being a pitcher for the baseball team, his big sister's an aspiring news reporter, he composes music in his spare time, and he owns a small, black dog named Bee Thoven).

Finally, the pair arrived in front of class C-9. From the crack of the sliding door, Hyojun could see students relaxing and talking amongst themselves freely, which means that his homeroom teacher isn't yet here.

"Here we are," Chanyeol announces, while Hyojun felt a bit saddened that their brief moment together had to end. "It was nice meeting you, Hyojun, despite what happened earlier. Whoever pushed you was a ."

Feeling himself swooning over his words, Hyojun stutters, "Oh, it's fli―fine now, though. And you―you saved me, anyway, so I'm or―okay."

“Eh, it's no problem. Just trying to help,” Chanyeol waves a nonchalant hand around. “Well, anyway, see ya. I’m just across the hall, so holler if you need anything.”

“Su-sure thing!”


With that, Hyojun waves Chanyeol farewell as he enters his own classroom. 'Park Chanyeol,' he chews on his bottom lip, the name already making him blush and swoon. 'How nice...'

Just then, there came a distant sound of footfalls, and snapped him out of his lovestruck thoughts. Looking up, Hyojun could see a 30-something year old man in a crisp suit with a briefcase in hand walking towards his direction.

"Why, hello there," the man spoke once he got near. "Can I help you with something?"

"Erm... are you perhaps Mr. Choi?" Hyojun asks.

"That, I am. Do you need something, young man?"

"Ah, well... I'm the transferee from Jeolla-do, and I was directed here," informs the teen.

"Oh, of course. Min Hyojun, yes? Let me just start class first, and then I'll get you properly settled in. Just stay there for a bit, if you please."

Hyojun nods as Mr. Choi went in, and took some moments to settle the class down. He listened to him talk about today's lesson, but before we get started, there'll be a new addition to the room. He then saw Mr. Choi gesturing that he may enter now, and obediently steps inside.

"Guys, this is Min Hyojun, he just came here from Jeolla-do," Mr. Choi introduces said boy, clapping a hand on his shoulder. "Treat him nicely, okay?"

Everyone choruses out a yes. "Good. Now, Hyojun-ssi, if you could please greet the class?"

Fiddling with his sleeve cuffs, Hyojun nods. He did a tiny bow and shyly greets, "Hello, I'm Min Hyojun... umm, pluh―please take care of me..."

Once done, he tried his best to avoid the intent stares everyone shot him. It was hard to ignore all their whispering, however.

"I don't think he'll last very long here if he's always this shy, to be honest."

"He's from Jeolla-do? I didn't know this school's getting country hicks, now."


"His voice sounds really weird. It's like his tongue got stuck in something."

"Alright, alright, let's not scare the newbie off on his first day, now," everybody laughed at Mr. Choi's remark. "Anyway, Hyojun-ssi, you can sit next to― wait, he's not here."

Mr. Choi was pointing to desk adjacent to another one near the back door, yet, its occupant was nowhere to be found.

"Dammit, where the hell is Byun, now?" the teacher wonders in irritation.

Hyojun notices how most of the students began to gossip with each other, hearing things like, "What else could he be doing, besides ing another chick? Lucky bastard gets laid 24/7," and "Be careful when hooking up with him, Unnie! I heard he's the kind to just hit it and quit it."

Exasperated, Mr. Choi sighs. "Not again... when he comes back, I swear..." he refers back to Hyojun. "Anyway, you just go sit in the seat next to that one, yeah?"

Despite his confusion, Hyojun did as he was told. 'I wonder who's this Byun guy they're talking about,' he muses, glancing at the empty desk next to him. 'I'm sure he's not that bad... at least, I hope so...'

The moment Mr. Choi was done taking role, Hyojun procures his notebook from his backpack, and immediately went on to copy down the notes written on the whiteboard. The rest of the day passed by slowly, students and staff wandering around the hallways, going in and out of various rooms continuously. But for Hyojun, even as he went through lesson after lesson until the bell signaled the end of the school day, he still couldn't get over that boy with the tender eyes and infectious grins.

Park Chanyeol― a beautiful name befitting of a beautiful person.

(God, he's such a hopeless romantic. It makes him so... ugh, hopeless.)

 


A/N: And second chapter's finally up! :D Although, I must admit, I kinda don't like how long this chapter is, for some reason. So, in the future chapters, I'll try not to make them unnecessarily long and have awkward endings, but until then, have this piece of I threw up. Oh yeah, and about EXO showing up in this chapter, seems like they're gonna have to ACTUALLY show up in the next one (or so), whoops! ^^; Also, one more thing! Besides Chanyeol, there's another member who's a crucial part of the story, and you can probably already guess who it is, but still keep a lookout for him!