The New Guy

The Ridiculous Chronicles of a Shy, Gay Boy

"That's Not My Name" by The Tings Tings


 

Hyojun stood in his new bedroom. The walls and furniture were colored in pastels, the fresh scent of paint still lingering in the air. His bed was neatly folded, with a green-glass desk and small drawer flanking its sides. Cardboard boxes were scattered across the maroon-carpeted floor, labels written on them in black sharpie reminding him that much unpacking still needs to be done.

Hyojun scrutinizes his reflection in the closet mirror, and occasionally pushing his glasses back up when they slip down his nose. (It's such a constant annoyance, like, why can't they just stay in one place?) He wore a white-collared shirt and pair of khaki trousers, topped off with a dark navy blazer. It was the standard uniform of SM High, the school he's transferring into today.

He ran a finger over the school's crest stitched on the lapel, and sighs. "A fresh start, huh?" he mutters to himself. Unlike other kids, he didn't really object to his family moving them away (in fact, he was glad for it, rural areas become so boring after living there for so long), though it doesn't mean he enjoys being the new guy and going back to square one. Especially when you're a newbie coming in from the countryside, too, and relocating to a big city like Seoul.

'Maybe this is a bad idea, actually,' the 16-year-old thought. 'Will I even fit in? Not a lot of folks here like country people much, I heard...'

Suddenly, there was a loud call of "JUNY!" that interrupted his monologue, and he immediately recognized it as his little sister's voice. "FOOD'S READY!"

"Coming!" Hyojun answers, leaving the room with his backpack in tow. He bounds downstairs, smells of butter and coffee filling his senses, the sizzling of the frying pan echoing across the house.

He arrives upon the sight of his family in the kitchen; as his father hovered over the stove, his younger sister and stepmom were already piling food onto their plates. (French-styled, he notices, knowing his dad has a knack for cooking foreign meals). He greets everyone with a 'good morning', and they all chorus back as he sits next to Hanui, his sister.

"I made some nutella crêpes, Jun, your favorite," his father said, balancing stacks of china on his arms, joining in with the rest. "Finish them before you go, 'kay? You too, Hanui!"

The girlfriend, Chunhwa, watches the siblings nod in unison and proceed to dig in their breakfast. "So, you kids ready for your first day of school?" she asks, sipping on her coffee. "How're you feeling?"

Hyojun gave an indifferent shrug, while Hanui replies enthusiastically (and shoves a croissant in at the same time, gross), "Ah, I'm planning on joining the football team! That way, I can woo all~ the ladies with my mad skills."

"Yah, don't talk with your mouth full," Hyojun wrinkles his nose at her, slightly exasperated. "No girl will think you're attractive if you keep that up."

He flicks her cheek lightly, Hanui grumbling in response, and swatting his finger away. "Shush you. I ain't dating yet, anyway, so I'll do what I want." she defiantly stuck her tongue at him, and Hyojun reciprocates her actions in the same, childish fashion.

"Now, now, you two. No fighting while at the dining table," their dad reprimands, not even bothering to look up at them, just stabbing his fork into a strawberry. "Do that outside the house, at least."

"Yes, Dad," obeyed the duo, Chunhwa giggling at their antics behind her mug.

Chunhwa was the reason the Min family moved all the way from Jeolla-do to Seoul. (At this point, Hyojun should be referring to her as 'Mom', but to him personally, he finds it's still a bit too early for him to call her that). His dad met her a couple of winters ago, at this luxurious nursing home located some ways up north, where Chunhwa just so happened to be visiting her grandparents at while on vacation. Not to mention his father used to work there, and was assigned to be the elderly couple's caretaker. Only a friendship developed between them at first, until it gradually blossomed into something a little more. It was then his dad couldn't quit thinking about Chunhwa, while she came up with all sorts of excuses just to see him again.

Fast forward to about a month later, they were strolling in the park under the snow together. It was right then Chunhwa finally gathered up enough courage to ask his dad out, which prompted him to cry joyful tears at the proposal. ("Oh my god, are you serious? Yes! A thousand times yes!") As the days went on by, their relationship continues to go on strong, blissfully living in their happily-ever-after.

Hyojun sighs internally. 'Oh, when will I ever find a love like that?' he thought as he downs his glass of orange juice.

After breakfast was finished, the Min siblings quickly slip on their sneakers, and said their goodbyes before leaving their new house. They went to the nearby bus stop, where a bunch of students and elders lined up in front of the transport's doors, and headed over with the rest. Once everyone had settled inside, the bus proceeded to move forward, Hyojun and Hanui made to stand and grab the metallic poles to prevent falling, for all the other seats were taken.

Hyojun gazed out the window, watching the scenery pass by in a blur, when he suddenly felt a light tap on his shoulder. Turning around, he came to face a tough-looking girl with choppy, russet hair and cool eyes. A short, white stick was protruding from , soon realizing it to be a lollipop.

"Ah, yes?" he inquires politely, but instead of answering right away, she just opted to stare him down instead.

"Umm..." he fidgets, beginning to feel uncomfortable under her intent gaze.

Then, out of the blue, she growls, "Don't give me that look."

"Wh-what do you mean...?"

"That look you're pulling on me right now, like I just killed a dozen babies or something. It's ing annoying, man, stop that."

"I-I'm sorry...?"

She rolls her eyes. "Ugh... anyway, I was gonna ask that girl next to you if she wanted to sit down."

Although slightly weirded out, Hyojun figured she couldn't be that bad, especially if she's offering her seat up (right?). "O-oh, my sister? Sure, she'd―she'd appreaciate the gesture... uhh, th-thanks."

He gently pats Hanui's shoulder, informing her that a seat's now available to her, and she gratefully trades places with the older girl.

Beside the brother-sister duo, a soft twinkle of laughter rang out. "Wow, Daniroo~ I didn't think you'd be the good Samaritan type." another girl, with a sweet face and her caramel locks tied into a braid, teases.

'Daniroo' scoffs. "Yah, just 'cause those es like to -talk 'bout me, doesn't mean I ain't got manners. And I thought I said to quit calling me that, it's embarrassing."

"But that's my nickname for you! Doesn't it show how close we are, Daniroo?"

"More like how much you love to get on my damn nerves, actually."

"But that's only 'cause I love you so much~"

"Whatever. Oh yeah, before I forget," something nudges on Hyojun's leg, and he goes to face 'Daniroo' once again. "What's your name, Four-Eyes?"

Hyojun blinks, a bit taken aback. "Fo-four Eyes?" for someone who dislikes nicknames, she sure didn't waste time in giving one to him.

"Obviously, who else would I be talking to?" well, doesn't she have quite the attitude. "You go to SM High, too, right?" it was then Hyojun noticed that she and her friend's uniforms have the exact same crest and color palette as his. "Never seen you before, though."

"Ah, my―my name's Min Hyojun, and this is―this is my little sister, Hanui," said boy introduces, while Hanui gave a small bow of her head. "And we're new here, ac-actually... just moved in a few days ago."

"Where you originally from, then?"

"Jeolla-do."

The other girl stares at them with an awed expression. "Wow~ no wonder your accent's so weird!" she exclaims in fascination, while the siblings glance at one another like 'what the hell'. "This is so cool, I've never met a hillbilly before!"

Hanui frowns. "Hillbilly?" she mutters, her small nose wrinkling in disgruntlement. Shaking his head, Hyojun places a finger on his lips, indicating her to just go along with it.

'Daniroo' rolls her eyes. "Anyway, the name's Woo Danbi, and this here," she jabs a thumb behind her, "is Cho Naye. Nice to meet ya, I guess."

"Hi, hi~" Naye gave them an excited wave. "Let's all play together, since any friend of Daniroo is my friend, too!"

"Stop that, goddammit," Danbi grunts, before staring at Hyojun threateningly. "You imitate her and call me 'Daniroo', I'll cut your off, got it?"

"Umm... no-noted..."

Naye pouts. "Boo~ you're not fun at all, Daniroo," she blew out a raspberry. "I bet if Jong-Jongie called you that, you totally wouldn't mind it."

"Jong-jongie...?"

"None of your business," Danbi snaps, almost rather defensively―and Hyojun thought if he looked closely enough, he could see a faint blush settle upon her cheeks―before redirecting her attention back to Naye. "As for this little right here..."

The pair of them started to bicker, and all Hyojun could do was blink at them owlishly at the strange interaction. Hanui just shrugs, as if saying, 'Ah, well, what can you do?'

Hyojun then sighs, and went back to look out the window. He doesn't how his first day at SM High will end up like, but he does know that it's going to be a long one.

 


A/N: First chapter's finally done, yay! ^^; Ehehe, I know, it took a while. And this chapter was only to introduce Hyojun, his family, and his newfound friends. Don't worry, though, EXO will show up in the second chapter, so please anticipate their appearance. Anyway, cheers!