Caged

Beauty In The Shadows

Darkness. 

It strecthes from end to end in the confines of his mind, and he can't find a way to outrun it. It follows him wherever he goes in a ceaseless game of tag, catching him and pulling him back when he thinks he sees a way out. 

Tao doesn't know how long he's been playing this game, but it's getting tiring and more than slightly irritating, like the scratchy, tightly tied cloth circling his head and covering his eyes. His body is exhausted, heavy as lead even though it feels like he hasn't moved in an eternity and a half; so much so, he can't find enough energry within himself to twitch either of his pinky toes. Despite the cloth, his eyes refuse to open, weighed down with the need to sleep. His nose twitches as foul smells attack his sense, each mixing with one another to become worse than they were seconds ago; he doesn't particularly know what these scents are, but they aren't pleasant in the least and only serve in increasing his curiosity and need to flee.

Tao wouldn't say he's asleep but more-so in a state between consiousness and rest. He doesn't know where the hell he is, and he can't comprehend anything going on around him, but he's not completely unaware. He's heard the occassional voice, some familiar-sounding and some he's never heard in his life, and felt a brush or two, specifically on his hands, arms, and head, yet that equates just about nothing in his struggle to understand what is happening. 

The last memory he can clearly recall is falling into Kris's arms at the cafe while staring into the garnet eyes of that creepy man with the menacing smile. What was up with that guy anyways? Is he the reason behind his immobility? But how? No human on this earth could possibly do anything like that with a simple glance; it was impossible. Maybe he slipped something into his drink while he wasn't looking -- but that'd also be impossible because Tao hadn't taken a single sip since that man (Eunhae? Eunhyeo?) had join him in the booth.

Whatever the reason behind it, he still can't drop the one question he's been asking himself for the last five years: Why me?

As far as he knows, Tao hasn't done anything particularly deserving of such circumstances. Even while in China, he stayed out of trouble as much as he could and had people, who weren't s, to talk to. Things weren't this way five years ago. Then again, five years is about how long his stalker -- Kris -- has been watching him, is it not? Five years ago is when Sehun waltzed into his life, and everything fell downhill. Five years ago is when he met Sehun's equally as odd group of friends. Are they connected though? Sehun knows Kris, but does Kris know Sehun? Is this all their doing? 

Before Tao can even begin to formulate any more theories, a sharp sting runs through the nerves in his head, giving him the most merciless headache he thinks he's ever had even after all the torturous hangovers he's been through. It brings tears to his eyes that dribble down his cheeks because he can't wipe them away and causes him to moan in pain, which shocks him. 

It's only slightly muddled, but he heard himself. 

He's getting his senses back. 

He gadually regains his sense of touch, which he knows because he can feel a rough, below-freezing concrete wall rubbing against his exposed skin; smell, because damn does is the stench worse than it was two seconds ago; taste, because his mouth is filled with the flavors of death and medicine; and hearing, because he can clearly hear winds howling outside what must be a lone window somewhere in the room. The only one absent from the string of five is his sense of sight, and that's mostly due to the scratchy cloth (he was right) strewn over his eyes. 

His sudden awareness makes him more wary of the surroundings he can't see. This place is too cold to be the cafe or the apartment he shared with Sehun. It's too cold to be the university's library that he finds himself stuck in for oh-so-many hours doing last-minute cramming. This has to be some kind of warehouse or garage, no doubt. But who brought him there? And why is he here anyways? Could it have been that guy from the alley getting back at him for what Kris did? 

Again, he finds himself with question upon question he can't answer, and it makes him panic a little. The feeling of being so uninformed makes him fear the worst. It sends shivers of anxiousness throughout his being and spirals his mind further into a chaotic frenzy he can't escape. 

Before Tao can dig himself into a deeper hole of unpleasant thoughts, the creaking of rusty door hinges greets his ears and causes him to cringe, two pairs of footsteps following the noise. 

"Looks like he's awake," a voice, one he recognizes as the man, Eun-something, says, his words reverberating off the walls of the empty (he assumes) room. 

"No , smart one. You did just undo whatever spell you had on him," another answers, this voice one that Tao's never heard before.

"Do I look like a warlock to you?"

"If you want me to be honest-"

"You know, this is exactly why the others and I don't like you."

"Because I'm always right, and you hate to admit it?"

"No, it's because you're a dumb- who doesn't know when to shut-up."  

There's a scoff that rings in his ears as the argument comes to a close, the footsteps growing steadily louder with each second that passes, sending chills of fear and anticipation down his spine.

"You did a pretty decent job, Henry," says Eun-something when the sound of feet slapping the ground stops and a hand reaches over to presumably check his pulse with frigid fingers that cause him to harshly flinch. 

"Decent? I did a ing fantastic job considering the mediocre plan I was originally given to follow."

"You know what? I'm not about to argure with you over this again. Just sit him in the chair and take off his blindfold."

A familiar-sounding scoff, this one more condescending than anything, sounds from the unknown person alongside a huff of clear indignation.

"Didn't we just establish that he's awake? I'm sure you read the part on his profile that said he did wushu. Fricking wushu, Hyuk. He's a martial artist, and I'm not about to get my whopped for trying to manhandle him. Besides, I've carried him enough to last me a few years. Why don't you just do it yourself?"

"You're reason," he sighs, "is completely invalid. You know you could fight him off without lifting a finger. Honestly, I will never understand why Leeteuk hasn't thrown you out of this clan already. It's not like you actually do much of what we tell you anyways."

" the rules. Leeteuk knows I couldn't give any less of a about his dumb rules. He needs me and my skills, and it'd be stupid of him to kick me out over not listening to his or is goons' pesky little commands." 

The conversation is put an end, and moments later, Tao feels himself being lifted from the cold surface beneath his body. What the person said is true, he is indeed a martial artist, but he can barely move his own limbs, let alone beat the hell out of anyone (not that he would because honestly, Tao's a wimp, and he knows it). Besides, if these people are the ones that did this to him, there's no telling what other damage they could inflict, and he was not about to be the first to test their patience and find out. 

He's put, quite forcibly, into what he assumes to be a chair, his arms and legs strapped to it soon after he's set down. Seconds later, he feels fingers working on the knot keeping his blindfold tied, and before long, he's squinting at the harshness of the light from the single bulb hanging from a wire directly above his head and the miniscule stream sunlight that the window, which is barred to prevent any chance of him ever getting out of this place, let in. 

"Wakey, wakey, cutie pie," comes the unfamiliar voice.

Tao pries his eyes open despite them not being able to handle the brightness and is met with the sight of white-blonde hair and garnet eyes, a shorter male standing by the man's side with hazel orbs and caramel-colored locks. 

"You've never met me before, have you? Of course you haven't; that was a stupid question. I'm Henry, your kidnapper. Nice to formally meet you. The block of idiocy with legs on my left is Eunhyuk, the one who knocked you out cold at the cafe," 

Tao only stares blankly at them, unable to comprehend the words that were just spoken. Who is this Henry guy, and why the hell did he kidnapped him of all people? As far as he knows, he's never seen the shorty in his life, and if he's never seen him, he couldn't have possibly done anything that diserved a kidnapping. What is going on? 

"I bet you're wondering why you're here, right? Well, to answer your unspoken question, it's because we need bait, and that bait is you, Taozi." 

The way his nickname rolls off of Henry's tongue makes him feel highly uncomfortable and icky, like he's just been him on by some greasy, drunk guy at a bar. It's a full three sixty of the feelings he gets when Kris says it, the warmth and giddiness no longer present. 

"Bait? Bait for what?" Tao manages to croak out, his voice raspy and soft from neglect. 

"For whom else would you ever be bait if not for Kris?" Eunhyuk questions mockingly. 

"But why?" 

"You're Kris's one weakness; you're his mate. Taking you away from him would surely anger him enough to lure him here so that we can do what we meant to all those years ago, when he smashed our clan to pieces." 

"I'm sorry, but what? What clan? Is this a gang rivalry or something because I have no clue what you're talking about."

"Huh. So he hasn't bothered to tell you yet. I guess your innocence can work in our favor though. Actually, it can be the start of your wonderful stay with the E.L.P. Doesn't that sound like fun?" he pauses to take a few steps closer, stopping when his shoes are stepping onto Tao's sock-clad toes, "Now, Tao, I'm going to untie you since I've thought of something better to torture you with. I'll leave you here to think. All on your own, with nothing but a tiny window and these for walls, I'll leave you here to ponder over everything, to drive yourself crazy trying to figure it all out. And when I think you've had enough, I'll come back, and we can try something else. That sound good to you?"

Tao doesn't respond as he glares at the man before him, which is a big mistake, because it earns him a stinging slap to the face, one with so much force that it leaves his ears ringing and his cheek bright red.

Eunhyuk makes sure to be extra painful as he unbinds him from the chair and throws him to the ground with little effort at all. He's dragged back over to where he was, and a chain, one he never even noticed until now, is attached to the ankle of his right leg through the use of a heavy, iron cuff. It's a few feet long, enough for him to pace half the length of one wall, but it makes him feel small, like a bird with a broken wing trapped in a large cage. 

"I hope you enjoy solitude, Taozi. Have fun with your thoughts," 

 


Update: this chapter is just a sort of filler I guess you could say. Also, sorry to everyone who gets a random update of this when a new chapter isn't even up yet. I've been busy with trying to edit this story to continue it fluidly, but I'll have at least two out soon!! Thank you!!! ^^