What?

Beauty In The Shadows

"Do you have a death wish or something?" 

Kris and Tao are sitting in a cafe not too far off from the alley where the latter got attacked only half an hour ago. The conversation between them had reached a nice lull that neither minded, so the very unexpected and very blunt question nearly makes Tao choke on his latte.

"E-excuse me?" Tao stutters after a couple of pats to the back and a lot of sputtering.

"I know you heard me, Tao, and I'm almost completely positive you remember all the times you nearly put yourself in a hospital today."

"I don't know what you're talking about." 

"Oh? Then I guess we do need to go to the hospital anyway to get that head of yours checked out. I have a friend that could do it for you if you want someone more trust worthy. He may even offer you a discount if you ask." 

"No, we are not going to any hospital; I'm perfectly fine." 

"You sure? That doctor is really nice. He'll give you a piece of candy if you're a good boy." 

"Kris-" 

"But if you say you're fine, then I guess it can't be helped, even though you clearly have a little damage if you don't recall anything that happened today at all."

"Okay, okay, I cave. I remember, alright? I didn't bring it up for a reason." 

"Which is?"

"It sounded less stupid and embarassing in my head." 

"Oh, come on. It can't be that bad." 

"I beg to differ." 

"Just spill, Tao. I'm not one to judge people." 

It takes a second for Tao to push his pride out of the way and blurt out a solid "Fine. I wanted to see you again, Kris. After you saved me the other day from that car, I just...I don't know. I felt tired of you hiding from me all the time, and there was this odd sense of longing you left behind. I wanted to pull you out from the shadows, and danger is the only way I knew would work." 

The slump in Tao's shoulders and the way his eyes waver makes Kris feel like a major for not showing up all those years ago. He feels guilty for forcing those emotions on Tao when he deserves nothing but the best the world has to offer. He understands that sense of longing far too well, and he knows how tortuous it can be at times. At the same time though, he's filled with absolute joy that he has a chance to be by Tao's side now instead of lurking behind him and watching over his shoulder; he has to a chance to get to know Tao's likes, dislikes, and habits as well as a chance to simply forget, to feel normal and blend in with society. 

However, Kris knows that being out in the open like he wants isn't such a great idea. There are people out there that don't fancy him or his lineage and want him gone. There are people out there that want his head on a stick to bring home a big check and relax for the rest of their lives. Being by Tao's side means putting not only him but also the clan at risk, and with the tens of hunters and enemies constantly on the prowl in their diguises, it would only take so long before they realized his weakness. If Kris falls, his family's legacy, his clan, his people, fall with him, and he can't have that happen. 

Though when he looks back up from the wood of the table to the expectant look in Tao's gaze, his resolve crumbles, and he become helpless. How could he bring himself to reject him? This has been something he's longed since five years ago when he first spotted the other strolling through the night market in Qingdao while on a brief trip to negotiate with an allied clan. Kris is allowed a bit of happiness, too, right? A few meetings shouldn't hurt as long as he kept a close eye on his surroundings. Everything will be fine as long as he's careful. 

"You know, all you had to do was say the word, and I would have come without second thought. Don't go putting yourself in dangerous situations like that for me. If something had happened to you, I wouldn't forgive myself, Tao. Do you want that?" Kris responds, tone light as he maintains eye contact with the other. 

The slow smile that spreads over Tao's face is enough to make him forget about everything else except for the bliss that drapes over him. Only, the feeling is lost quickly when he spots a certain petite, muscular build watching him from an alley across the street. From the looks of it, the latter is pissed beynd belief and is making very frantic hand gestures that Kris knows all too well. A glance over his left shoulder reveals a glare from the person in the booth right behind his and Tao's own space. If he looks closely enough, he can see the telltale end of a weapon peaking from his winter coat, seemingly intentional in order to threaten Kris. 

Normally, where there is one, there are multiple others waiting for the chance to pounce, and that typically isn't a problem because Kris is usually alone or with Kyungsoo. At the moment however, the situation is anything but great. He can't risk exposing himself by acting out in the open, and he most certainly can't have Tao put in any danger because of his actions. 

As secretively as he can, Kris sends a nod to Kyungsoo before turning to face Tao, who has resumed his endeavour of finishing the latte and ham sandwich the former ordered for him. 

"It seems as if I have to get going a lot earlier than I'd hoped, but I want to walk you to safety before I go." Kris says, interupting the other mid-chew. 

"Well, that . I guess it can't be helped though." Tao replies after dusting a few crumbs from his hoodie. "Let me just throw away this cup and I'll be ready to leave." 

Out of the corner of his eye, Kris sees the man behind him stand and walk out the cafe's doors, most likely to inconspicuously stalk the two once they leave. When Tao comes back, Kris wastes no time in placing a hand on the small of his back and guiding him out of the building. 

"Say, where do you think your roommate would be right now? Is he at home still?" 

"Honestly, I have no clue. We fought this morning, and I stormed out without my phone or wallet." 

Kris takes a second to mentally scold Sehun for happening to be an on today of all days. "How about I just drop you off at the library instead? I've got to pretty soon, and it's a little closer. You don't mind that, do you?" 

"No, I don't mind. I needed to stop by anyways and pick up a book I reserved for my research paper. You also seem to be in a hurry, and I don't want to make you late." Tao confirms after a moment of silence. 

It takes no time at all for Kris to walk Tao to the library and make sure he's inside safely after jotting down his number on the other's hand. He had been right in assuming that there had to be more hunters in the area that had caught on when he sees them trailing him from the other side of the road trying to blend in with the heavy foot traffic.  

When he meets up with Kyungsoo minutes later in a relatively deserted alley in order to face the hunters, he's greeted with a pat on the back.

"You did good not bring him home. I didn't expect you to think so clearly," he snorts as the hunters begin to trickle in, surrounding them completely with weapons drawn. 

"Yeah, well, I knew you'd have my if I screwed up, and I'd rather not waste my energy fighting with you when we've got a bigger problem to handle."

 


 

Tao had been lost in his own world ever since he was brought back home, which had been exactly one hour and fourty-seven minutes ago, by Kris, the pale man never leaving the confines of his mind even as he distractedly switches from channel to channel on the TV while cuddling with Panda on the couch. 

"You look relatively content for someone who wanted to choke me out just a few hours ago," he hears Sehun say, the younger taking a seat on the recliner a few feet away from him. When he realized he'd returned from wherever he'd gone, the blonde-headed man made himself scarce by holing himself up in his room and talking to Luhan on the phone. 

Tao only wishes he'd done that for the remainder of the day. 

"Things change, Sehun. And don't remind me. I might actually do it if you keep bringing it up," 

"Mind telling me about this change that brought about your current mood?" 

"If I did, it'd only be a repeat of this morning, and I don't feel like fighting with you again,"

"So it's about your stalker?" 

He chooses not to say anything further about the matter. He has the feeling that, like always, any mention of Kris would bring about a dispute that would more than likely end with a pissed, hurt Tao and an adamant Sehun. One would suppose he just ignore all the ruthless comments, but could they really be ignored when they were thrown at him every time he went home or stepped outside? He was right- he knew he had always been right- but that didn't matter to them, Sehun included. Even if he showed them Kris in the flesh, it wouldn't matter. He'd still be crazy. He'd remain friendless. He'd have no one but Kris, himself, and his cat. 

It's for these very reasons that he remains tight-lipped even with Sehun's constant prodding and questions.

"Tao, will you please just tell me what happened today?"

"I don't see why you care. As you said, it's just my imagination. Me and my imaginary friend don't feel like being ridiculed by you right now," 

"When I say stuff like that, don't take me so seriously. If anything, just know that all I want to do is keep you safe. I'm trying to protect you," 

The look of "oh, " that belatedly takes over his face when he realizes the words that have just toppled out of his mouth tells him that they weren't meant to be spoken in the first place and only calls for suspicion and a feisty temper to rouse from within. 

"Protect me from what, Sehun? People? A social life? The outside world?" 

"I can't answer your questions, but just know that it's for your own good, Tao." 

"For my own good? What good has been done since I came here? Since I moved in with you? Nothing, Sehun. Absolutely nothing. Sometimes I don't even understand why I left China when I sure as hell was better off there." 

All speaking halts. The look Sehun held seconds earlier contorts into one of shock at the prospect of what Tao's words really mean.

"You aren't going to move back, are you?" 

"I don't see why I can't. I actually have more of a chance of having a normal life there than I would probably ever have living here with you," 

"No, Tao. You can't just leave," 

"And why the hell not?"

"Because you can't. Look, I know I'm not the best person to be around, and I know you've been thinking of moving out, but you can't jump ship and head back to China. You can leave me all you want, but don't leave Kris. He's spent such a long time alone. He may not have shown it, but before you showed up, he was lonely. He craved the warmth of another person; now that he has it, he won't want to let it go. He follows you now, makes promises to follow you no matter what, but he can't do that. Every person has his limits, Tao, and his don't extend as far as you think. If you up and leave him without a word, he'll break,"

Kris.

The familiar name coming from Sehun's mouth confuses him to no end. As far as he knows, the two have never met, never hung around together, never seen each other. There was never a Kris amongst the bodies that flocked Sehun and called themselves his friends or anyone by that name that attended their school, so how did he know about Kris? He tries to trick himself into thinking he might have misheard- it was something that happened to him pretty often- or that they're thinking of two different people, but no matter what excuse he attempts to force feed to his mind, none make sense. 

Then there's all of the other information that was thrown in his face. He'd only met the man for more than three seconds today, yet he's apparently the only one that can keep him sane. It makes Tao want to know all the whys, the hows. Why is he so important to a guy he barely knows? Why did Kris follow him in the first place? How in the world does Sehun even know that Kris exists considering he's been summing him up to be a fake entity created by Tao's mind? Every thought makes his head spin, and he gives up on trying to connect any dots to make the big picture he so desperately wants to see. 

Instead of saying anything back to Sehun, he picks up Panda and heads to his room. If Sehun meant what he said earlier, he wouldn't be getting any honest answers to his never-ending questions. He finds the idea of sitting alone with his thoughts more appealing than continuing to argue with his roomate.They're already walking on thin ice, and any further heated disaggreements would surely break them apart. 

In the darkness of his room (his curtains, ones that his father got him when he was still a teenager, were thick enough to block out any and all sunlight that tried to infiltrate his space), he curls up on his bed, the constricting grip he had on Panda slightly tightening. He can't help but compare his current state to his the one he was in on the first night in this very room, the first night of being roommates with Sehun. He feels the exact same as he had then: 

alone and confused. 

Sehun's just glad he can deal with his mental breakdown in peace. 

 


 

"I screwed up this time. He knows that I know that you exist, and he's bound to try and solve everything himself. That being said, he's going to come up with something stupid, and it will put him in even more danger."

The group surrounding him shoots him looks of disappointment, of pity and sympathy, because of the scolding he's sure to get from their scariest member.

And he thinks they couldn't have been more accurate with their assumptions.  

"Great job, Sehun. We've already have to deal with hunters that've caught onto us, and now, we have to deal with your stupidity on top of it all," Kyungsoo yells at him, arms crossed over his chest and his face contorted with anger.

"I'm sorry that I'm not as perfect as you, Do ing Kyungsoo. Just because I'm a vampire doesn't mean that I suddenly lose all faults, and it doesn't give you the right to ridicule me every chance you get! I have my imperfections that I'm not afaid to admit I have unlike you who likes to pretend you're Mr. All Mighty when you're really just a midget with anger issues and a few emotional scars you think you're too good to possess," 

The strong wind and the cracks splitting across the floor of the conference room send the attendees into a slight panic. While Sehun was technically still a youngster, his powers were strong. Mixing him with an angry, more than powerful Kyungsoo that could reduce the clan's entire estate to a pile of ruble and dead bodies in the blink of an eye would ultimately end in destruction.  

"I'm sorry that this midget with anger issues tried saving your . I wouldn't have to ridicule you if you would just do the job you were asked to do properly. If we're all honest, you wouldn't have survived this long if it weren't for me helping you all the damn time. A vampire gains at least some common sense when they're changed, Sehun, but it seems that part of your change just didn't happen," 

"Will you step down from your pedestal and get your head out of your ? I would have been fine without you, Kyungsoo. I didn't need you guiding me like the baby I most certainly am not. Sometimes I wonder what you'd be like if he was still alive. Would you still be so bitter, so full of unnecessary hatred for anything that moves? I honestly think he'd be disappointed in you. If he were with us now, he probably wouldn't even recognize you. don't even recognize you anymore. You've turned into the monster you tried so hard not to be. What happened to the angel that you were?"

Sehun's comments hit home for Kyungsoo if the tears welling in his green,owl-like eyes and the sudden end to the steadily growing cracks in the floor are anything to go by. He knows that it's a sensitive topic, but he feels that someone needs to talk some sense into him; no one else seemed up for the task. Sure, it was a little harsher than it needed to be, but he can't find it in himself to feel bad about anything. What he'd said was the truth that Kyungsoo needed to hear, the truth that also allowed him to release all the pent up aggression he held for the shorter man. He finds it amazing that after so many years of being at each others throats, all it took was the appearance of a mere human, Tao, for a resolution to finally be reached.

More people than he thought silently agree with him, heads downcast but nodding slightly. Their bodies seem to deflate in relief when Kris breaks the silence, voicing the thoughts they all wanted to share.

"It's sad to say, but he's right, Soo. I think we're all tired of seeing this you that isn't you. I know that the you that loved cooking, the you that loved to tease your dongsaengs in a not-so-malicious way, the you that absolutely adored being coddled no matter how much you denied it is still there. I know you're still pained, but you've got to move on at some point. I know that he was your mate, but it's been decades since it happened. There's nothing left for us, for you, to do but move on. Don't you think he'd be happy if he knew you were happy even with his abscence? As much as I like the badassery, I fancy the old you a lot more. For now, I'm dismissing you from this meeting to give you some time to yourself. I know the great Kyungsoo hates people seeing him cry, and I want you to sincerely think about what Sehun and I have told you," Kris says from the head of the conference table surrounded by his hand-picked higher-ups and a few *Chosen. 

Even after Kyungsoo storms out of the room with tears trailing down his cheeks, the tension in the room doesn't lift, remaining as thick as the blood they drink to survive. Sehun has half a mind to dart out after him with Luhan and seek comfort in their shared room but fights aganst the urge. It took him forever and a lot of begging to get a place in this room; abandoning it in the middle of an important asembly with no reason other than wanting to cuddle his ill feelings away wouldn't do him any good. 

"Not to be insensitive to the moment, but can we continue with the discussion? I have a meeting with Dr. Zhang, who's agreed to give us some donated blood, in an hour, and the traffic's bound to be horrific," Joonmyeon, Kris's right hand man in desicion-making who also goes by the name Suho, says as he avoids the eyes that shoot to him when he speaks.

Everyone knows he's got the hots for Dr. Zhang but not the guts to confess that he does. They're not a common topic, but their progress is something that Sehun's already bet on with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Nonetheless, he finds their interactions cute, even moreso than the cheeseball ones that are his and Luhan's. 

"Just go ahead, Myeon. I can catch you up on everything when you return," 

The addressed doesn't waste any time in throwing on his suit jacket and hightailing it out of the conference room. 

"I can talk to Sehun in private about what's happened with Tao. For now, I suggest we discuss the hunters that are on our trail," 

"May I ask how the hunters even found our location?" Sehun's mate, Luhan, asks, curiosity clearly displayed on his facial features.

"Earlier today, when I was out with Tao, a hunter spotted us in a cafe and decided to watch from a distance. By the time we'd left, he'd already called his lackeys, five of them, and were already in pursuit. Kyungsoo and I tried to get rid of them as quickly as we could, but they were a lot stronger, and more prepared, than we thought. We managed to get rid of four, but two got away,"

"Why does that even matter though? It would be stupid to give away the secret location of a multimillion-dollar prize to every hunter in the organization,"

He can't help but admit that Chanyeol, as derpy as he is, makes a good point. 

"While it's true that it's stupid, it's also beneficial to them. The two that got away know a secret that everyone's been trying to find for years. The quota of money that those people are willing to pay to acquire said secret amounts to much more than the bounty on our heads. That in itself is why their escape is so lethal. We have multiple rivals that are willing to compromise with whatever their demands may be to find us, and I'm sure you know that if that were to happen, it wouldn't be good for anyone, vampires and humans alike,"

"And how do you suppose we fix this? I'm assuming that moving out of the country isn't an option now that Tao is in the picture," Baekhyun questions from his spot near the middle of the large table. 

"That's what this meeting is for. Other than moving, I'm out of ideas on what to do," 

"I don't think there's much we can do other than attack anyone who comes near us. We can't move out of the country right now, and moving somewhere within the country is a bust since there's bound to be people tracking our every move. Our only option is to lie in wait and figure out what our plan of action is when the time comes," 

Kris visibly slumps in his seat just like he had nights before when talking with Sehun, releasing a barely audible sigh as he did so. The weight of keeping everyone safe is heavy upon his shoulders, and he honestly feels sorry for their leader. Being responsible for the lives of so many is not the easiest thing to handle for the "eternity" that was the life of a vampire. He can only imagine how he and all the heads before him must have felt.

"For now, just go on living your lives like you did before you learned that any of this was going on. I made a vow to protect you from any harm, be it from a hunter or fellow vampires, when I became your leader, and I'm going to stand by it. I'll firgure out a plan to solve this problem and call you in to listen to your opinions on it whenever that may be. So until then, this meeting is adjourned," 

Bodies rise from their seats, stretching out their stiff limbs before escaping the stuffy conference room for some much needed relaxation. Sehun is one of the last to take his leave, choosing to linger for a long enough time to give Kris an encouraging pat on the back. It's not much, he knows, but he hopes it offers some type of comfort to the elder. 

In a lonely world like his where the only person he has to rely on is himself, he's going to need all the comfort he can get. 

 


Next chapter complete! ^^ I'm sorry if the story seems a bit slow. I'll try to do better next chapter

Anything with a * by it will either be explained down here or in the next chapter so you can better understand the story

Thank you for reading and THANK YOU to all of those who have subscribed to this story!! I'm sorry I never did so in the past chapters ^^

*Chosen: Human chosen to attend to the needs of the clan's estate (as butlers and maids) and to the needs of its residents. They'll be discussed in later chapters. This is just a general explanation of them and what they do.