Oil And Water

Beauty In The Shadows

The confrence room, to say the least, has never been more rowdy. 

Suho understands that they're natural enemies and don't particularly get along when put into a room together, but he honestly thinks this is ridiculous. The pack he sought out nearly an entire tension-filled week ago sits directly across from him and the others, and for the most part, it's not all that bad. Not a single person has clawed anyone else to death, surprisingly, and four of the five representatives from the pack are relatively pleasant to be around. The lone wolf, the one causing his ears to ring, and Baekhyun's personality are the only problems here.

Civil. All he wants if for everyone to be civil. Is that really so hard? Is it really that impossible for Baekhyun to not pick a fight with just about everyone? 

"Look, you blood- , I didn't come here to hear you gripe. Now, if you would do us all a favor and just shut up, you would be a savior to mankind's ears." 

"No, you look, you mutt-"

"I'm the mutt? Are you sure?" 

"You know, we don't actually need you. If you would like to not get kicked out with your tail tucked between your digusting pair of twigs that I could just as easily break, I kindly suggest that you do us all the favor of a lifetime and stop running your snout." 

"Oh, you don't need me? I don't mind walking out of this room and dragging you with me. I can, and I will end you, tick."

Never in his life has Suho heard so many curse words and insults within the span of ten minutes, and it's been going on since the two first layed eyes on each other. The huffy blonde stabbing Baekhyun with his eyes, Jaejoong, is known for his snarky, sassy attitude among most wolf packs in the area.

Jaejoong, in short, is a photocopy of Baekhyun and one Baekhyun is tiring enough. Sticking two of them in an enclosed space with each other is trying to mix oil and water, and the end result is only a battle that can't be stopped. 

It's a bit shocking to Kris as well, seeing as the pack he expected to threaten him and his clan is actually quite reserved and quiet.

Except, he hadn't anticipated a screaming match to ensue between Yunho's mate and Baekhyun, and he doesn't know what to do about it. Of course, he could always step between the two and shut them up, but that seems about as smart as flinging himself off of a cliff and expecting to fly. It's stupid to step in,  and he nor Yunho feels like being at the brunt of their pettiness. 

It isn't until a brave soul, a wolf named Junsu, makes the trying move of placing a gentle hand on Jaejoong's arm that either of the two stop verbally slandering each other. It's almost amazing how quickly Jaejoong's persona changes, and it almost gives them all whiplash at the three-sixty turn it takes from a mere pat. 

"What is it, Junsu? Something wrong?" he says as calm and as sickeningly sweet as honey. It's like Baekhyun doesn't even exist to him anymore, just an annoying buzz in the back of his mind, when he turns to face the younger with a concerned gaze. 

The peace only holds for so long though, especially with Baekhyun and his temper. 

"Hey, I was talking to you. It's rude to disregard your superiors like that, isn't it?" he pasues to scoff at Jaejoong's offended expression. "Don't give me that look. You're the one who backed down. Could you not handle it? Give up already, puppy?" 

"No, I'd just rather not waste my breath on a prissy little tick anymore. You're wasting precious time. We don't have all day to listen to you and whine." 

Before Baekhyun can respond, Chanyeol shoots him a look that has him swallowing his words in a huff. Chanyeol doesn't particularly mind his yelling on a normal day, but today isn't a normal day; today is especially significant. They've anticipated this meeting for an entire week, a week they could have used to find Tao. This negotiation can't be prolonged any longer. Chanyeol is sweet, yes, but business is business. Jaejoong and Baekhyun can wage as many wars on each other as they want after everything is settled. 

Yunho awkwardly clears his throat, not knowing what to do now that the room in pin-drop silent. He has to be careful, though, if he wants to leave without a brawl between his pack and their clan; Baekhyun and Jaejoong are enough as is. He's biased to believe that werewolves are the better species, but he can't underestimate vampires either. They're much colder and calculating than any wolf he knows, and to anger them would be a disaster. It takes Yunho and lengthy few minutes to piece together the right words before he actually opens his mouth to say anything. 

"I have to say, I never thought I'd see the day a vampire, especially one as powerful as yourself, Kris, seek help from a pack of werewolves," he says. His statement sounds teasing, but he's being completely honest. The point is usually to avoid each other, so whatever Kris and his goons want from him has to be more than just dire. 

"I need help," Kris starts, not skipping a single beat, "and your pack can provide it." 

The air of the room drops tens of degrees lower, and goosebumps and shivers wrack through both vampire and werewolf. The power radiating from the two discussing at the head of the table is almost terrifying as they stare each other down his hard glares. They mean business now, and anyone who dares to do otherwise is in for oceans-worth of saltiness. 

"So you do have a job for us then. What is it? Are you fighting another clan and need more manpower? Scaring off a few humans wandering too close?" 

"None of those, actually. I wouldn't have contacted you and your pack for something I could deal with myself. What I need you to do is find someone for me." 

At this, Yoochun, Junsu's mate, furrows his brow. Find someone? Hunting game for others, getting rid of hunters, and helping with territorial issues are the main requests they receive whenever someone wants their help. But finding a person for an equally as powerful leader? That's a job they've never been given. 

"Just who are we finding that has you asking us for help?" Yoochun voices out of genuine curiosity. This has to be an extremely important somebody, he knows, but he's just nosey enough to want to know who exactly it is. 

A pained look crosses Kris' face ever so briefly before he says, "My mate. I need you to find my mate. About two weeks ago, the E.L.P took him while I wasn't looking, and we haven't been able to figure out where he was taken since. All we know is that he can't be at the main estate; however, they own too much property for us to comb through each and every one. We have no way of finding his location without blindly storming their buildings." 

"That's where you guys come in," interupts Suho. "Your noses are far superior to our own, and your sense of smell is keen on sniffing out specific scents, whereas ours cannot. We need you to weed out Tao's scent to give us an idea on where he is. We have to get to him before the E.L.P gets bored with the same bait. We can't have more of our members being snatched or another mate being lost." 

Yunho blanks at their request. It's been a whole two weeks that Kris has been without his mate, and he's in the hands of the E.L.P no less. The fact that his other half has been ripped away from his side is one thing, but by them of all people? He doesn't usually get involved with vampire conflicts, but there isn't a single vampire, werewolf, or hunter that doesn't know about the E.L.P just how dirty they like to play, how much they like to toy with other groups for satisfaction and entertainment. It's a vicious clan full of vicious people. Just what exactly did Kris do to warrant them stealing his mate

"I'm assuming you must have something with his scent on it, correct? We can't do anything unless we have something to guide us," Yunho says when they've explained the big idea.

The vampire sitting down the table from him, Sehun, pulls a plastic bag from under the table, and in the bag is a folded up hoodie. It looks worn, like the owner favored it more than his other clothing. Worn clothing usually makes for a stronger scent though and would help their search in the long run; who cares how it looks?

"It's Tao's favorite hoodie. He wore it every chance he got. It's the one I gave to him for Christmas," he comments as he eyes the bag. The last bit is unnecessary, but no one chooses to comment on it as they can see that the young vampire is clearly worried. 

"Whatever you request as payment, I'll give it to you. I just need your help to find him before it's too late. I need to get to him before it's too late," Kris all but begs as he stares pleadingly at Yunho.

Yunho swipes the bag and looks at the clothing item inside of it. He recognizes it as a limited edition Gucci hoodie -- he only knows that because he'd been "coerced" into getting one for Jaejoong -- that costs quite the pretty penny.

"Don't bother. Just consider it a favor. I don't know how it feels to lose a mate, and I never want to know; but I can only imagine how much it pains you. I won't make you pay to find him. It only feels right to help you get him back." 

Kris breaks out into a gummy chuckle, one that seems genuine and from the heart. His eyes twinkle in silent gratitude, and he responds with, "You know, you're not the greedy alpha I originally planned on fussing with. It was nice meeting you, actually. I do hope we can keep in contact even when this is all over." 

At that, Yunho smiles. Admittedly, he expected a fight to break out between them and the vampires before they could even speak to each other. He'd expected a brawl of some sort that ended with them refusing and heading back to their territory. He never expected them to be as alike as they are. Their kinds are natural enemies, that much is true obivously, yet he finds that they're so similar, almost not at all like oil and water. 

"I think I have to say the same. Don't worry, Kris. We'll help you, and when he's back, I'll be expecting an alliance. If a war breaks out between you and these E.L.P bastards, I want in. They've taken pups from me, and I never got the chance to personally thank them." 

"And an alliance is most certainly what you'll get. I look forward to fighting by your side, Yunho." 

And so, the meeting is ajourned when the two shake hands and leave the room together to discuss whatever leaders discuss. As soon as the door shuts though, the quiet that appeared just as quickly disapates when Baekhyun and Jaejoong catch each other's eye.

"I can't believe this. Kris just got all buddy-buddy with an alpha, and now we have to work with his stupid pack of mutts. This is just a nightmare, right, Yeol?" Baekhyun mumbles, a legitimate countenance of outrage morphing his facial features. 

"Sadly, no, it's not just a nightmare. Looks like we're being forced to work with you, Tick," Jaejoong laughs, shooting him a burning stare.

"My name is ing Baekhyun for the thousandth time!" he pauses to flip his hair in anger. "I just hope you don't give me fleas."

"Excuse me? Fleas? You have got to be kidding me." 

Before Jaejoong's outstretched hand can even graze Baekhyun's cashmere sweater, it's smacked down by Changmin, the baby of the pack. 

"Come on, it's not so bad. We just gained an alliance with a powerful vampire clan. I don't know about you, but I personally find that fricking cool. Can't you be at least a little excited, too?" he says, eyebrows wriggling wildly on his forehead. 

"Yeah, hyung, it isn't that hard. Besides, maybe we'll get to stay here while we help out. They've got way more bedrooms than our little hut has, and you've been wanting to take a nice soak for a while, haven't you?" Junsu pipes up from Jaejoong's side. His sly bribery is almost too obvious to everyone other than Jaejoong himself.

A flash of consideration flashes over Jaejoong's face before he's back to scowling at Baekhyun. 

"I'm doing this for the bath." 

"I would imagine so considering you probably haven't taken one in years. Must be how you got such ugly skin." 

No one bothers to stop them when they both leap out of their seats with claws outstretched. Instead, they just sigh. Chanyeol did promise they could fight after the meeting. 

 


Another chapter. Yay! ^^ I hope this kind-of-ish makes up for any angst? XD I had fun writing the disses in this chapter, so I hope you have fun reading it! Enjoy ^^