pt. 3

The Neon Yellow Line

Beep beep beep beep be- “Ugh.”

Chanyeol groaned, rolled over and snoozed his alarm. It was 5 am, a full hour and a half before he usually woke up. He stared up at the ceiling, wondering how he got to this point. It was just a couple months ago that he had been living alone, in his very own apartment, living the good life of a single college student. How had he ended up with a cute unassuming sassy roommate? How had Chanyeol ended up falling for the pink haired boy? How had Chanyeol ended up hurting him?

Chanyeol had hurt him. Why? Because of some stupid wall Chanyeol had put up in his mind? He had literally created a wall aka the neon yellow line. The line was the source of all his troubles. What even was the line? Chanyeol had put down the tape so that he and Baekhyun would function as roommates only, but Chanyeol couldn't imagine the whole roommate thing not working out if he was with Baekhyun.

Chanyeol jumped out of bed and flailed his arms around. He ran is fingers through his hair and headed towards his bathroom. Had he really just messed this up? Because of some stupid yellow piece of tape?

Chanyeol brushed his teeth forcefully, letting out all of his frustration. How was he supposed to get Baekhyun to take him now? He had to come up with a plan or something, or Baekhyun would be gone forever. He rinsed and walked to his closet to change his clothes. The look on Baekhyun face after Chanyeol left had almost made Chanyeol crack. That face alone, the expression of confusion and pain and something else, something deeper, had made Chanyeol’s heart split in two. He had wanted nothing more than to pull Baekhyun into his arms and whisper apologies into his hair over and over again. But he didn't. And he couldn't now, could he? Baekhyun wouldn't want to see him after last night, and it was better this way.

Chanyeol grabbed his keys and walked out of the room. Apart from Chanyeol's footsteps, the apartment was quiet. Chanyeol walked to the middle of the apartment and stood in front of the yellow tape. He stared at Baekhyun's bedroom door. Slowly, he tapped his right foot on the opposite side of the tape. Chanyeol smiled. Soon Baek, soon.

\(~U~)/

It had been thirteen days. Thirteen entire days since it had occurred. The event. Not coincidentally, it had also been thirteen whole days since Chanyeol had spoken a word to him. To be fair, it had been finals week and the semester was ending. Baekhyun wasn't exactly free to talk anyways. This, however was too much.

Baekhyun stopped going to the cafe, but if Chanyeol noticed or cared, Baekhyun didn't know. Chanyeol never came home right after his shift either, and Baekhyun began eating dinner alone, with a textbook open in front of him. Eventually, Baekhyun would hear the front door open and close around 10pm from his room. He had tried going back out a couple times to see if Chanyeol was eating dinner or something, but Chanyeol would always go straight to his own room. If that wasn't deliberate avoidance, Baekhyun didn't know what was.

Baekhyun had basically gone through some stages of grief. It didn't even make sense, because they hadn't even been together. Baekhyun had no right to be upset, but he was. Chanyeol had broken his heart, and hadn't even waited to explain why. For the first couple days, he had been a complete mess. He didn't eat, or sleep, just studied. A lot. He didn't cry, however, not once, and he promised himself he wouldn't. It wasn't worth it. After the initial fall apart, Baekhyun rationalized the situation. He was still a mess on the inside, but he told himself that nothing had changed. He kept going to class and the library and eating. Now, Baekhyun was still a mess, but was coping. Barely.

Now, it was Saturday. Finals were over, but Baekhyun didn't feel much better. The only thing that had changed was that he now didn't know what to do with his time or how to distract himself from thinking about him.

Baekhyun found himself walking down the street to the bus stop. He knew where he was going, he just couldn't understand why he wanted to go there. This is stupid I can go wherever I want.

\(~U~)/

Chanyeol was sitting behind the counter, staring up at the coffee shop’s massive chalkboard menu. He rubbed his eyes, trying to rid them of drowsiness. He barely got any sleep anymore.

Lay huffed and stomped his foot. “Chanyeol, why are you dragging this out for so long?” Lay demanded, turning to face Chanyeol. He threw the rag that he had been using to clean the counter at the silver haired boy’s face.

“Hey! What the--”

“You said that you were going to make a plan! You said that you were going to get him back! But what have you been doing? Sitting here for hours on end moping around in your own tears. If you really wanted him back you would have done something by now!”

“Lay that's not fair, he doesn't want me back!” Chanyeol pleaded, voice cracking.

“And how do you even know that when you haven't spoken to him at all?! You’re literally assuming everything! You haven't even made sure he's ok! You have done nothing! And wasn't the whole point to win him--”

“, , ,” Chanyeol cursed, looking at something outside the window. He jumped out of his chair and scrambled beneath the counter.

Lay stared down at him bewildered. “Chanyeol, what the actual--”

Ding ding ding

Lay looked up at the front door. “Hello, welcome to-- what the-- Baekhyun? What are you doing here?”

Baekhyun looked around, and felt a twinge of disappointment when he didn't see Chanyeol. Only a twinge.

“Looking for someone?” Lay asked, kicking the form under the counter.

“Um, no. Well, maybe. No. Yes. I don't know Lay.”

“Why, Baek? It’s pretty simple.”

“Easy for you to say,” Baek grumbled.

“Well, do you want to be with Chanyeol?” Lay asked, acutely aware of Chanyeol flailing around at his feet trying to get up.

Baekhyun looked at Lay like he had an IQ of 5. “No I want to be with Chanyeol, the only problem is, he doesn’t want to be with me. And that’s fine, but it would be nice if he just talked to me about it instead of avoiding me like a big baby. You know he hasn’t spoken a word to me in almost two weeks? Like we live in the same apartment but I haven’t even seen his face. Like, what kind of person does that?”

Lay cracked a smile, bordering on evil grin as he restrained Chanyeol with his foot. Chanyeol was desperately trying to get up, presumably to apologize. But that would make it too easy for Chanyeol. Much too easy.

“Yeah, Chanyeol’s kinda an idiot like that.” Lay agreed.

“It’s just, he hurt me. A lot. I know I have no right to be hurt but, I feel what I feel. And it’s all just pain. “

At Lay’s feet, Chanyeol slumped to the ground and stopped fighting back. Lay removed his foot from in front of Chanyeol and sighed.

“Baekhyun, you want Chanyeol, right?”

“Yes Lay, we’ve been over this—”

“Then fight for him, Baekhyun. He is a clumsy idiot who can’t even recognize something that is extremely obvious. Even when it hits him right in the face. Sometimes he just needs an extra push. Personally I don’t know why you’d like such a dense, annoying, lazy— OW,” Lay winced in pain, Chanyeol had punched his shin. Hard.

But Baekhyun hardly seemed to notice. He had a new expression on his face, one that was determined. “Lay, I've made my decision. You’ve helped. Kind of. Goodbye!”

Baekhyun ran out the door, leaving Lay who was currently hoping around on one foot. Thankfully, there were no customers in the shop.

Chanyeol was muttering to himself on the floor. “Why, why, why, I am an idiot, you really messed this up oh my god,”

Chanyeol stood up. “Lay, if you ever do that again I will come to your house in the middle of the night and shave off all of your hair and cut holes in the of every single pair of shorts and pants you have.” He smiled sweetly and proceeded to greet a customer that had just walked in.

\(~U~)/

                Chanyeol had a plan. He was going to go home, and go to sleep like he usually did. Or try to sleep. And then, in the morning, he would wake up and make Baekhyun breakfast and apologize profusely until Baekhyun agreed to take him back. He had just finished his shift at work and told Lay he would close up the shop. It was 9:30pm when finally drove home. When he got inside their apartment, he went straight to his room. The only sign of Baekhyun was the telltale light peeking out from under his bedroom door. Chanyeol closed his door behind him and sighed. He would wait until morning. He would wait. 

                But, that didn’t mean he had to wait for food. Chanyeol hadn’t eaten anything since lunch, and the chocolate pudding was calling to him. He eased open his door and tiptoed out into the apartment. He flipped on the kitchen light and walked to the fridge. He leaned his head into the fridge. Where was the freaking—

                “PARK CHANYEOL!”

                Chanyeol’s head shot up in surprise, and he hit it on the ceiling of the refrigerator. “Oww, Baek? What the—?”

                “YOUUUU!” Baekhyun marched up to Chanyeol, completely ignoring the yellow line, fuming. “Park Chanyeol, what the hell are you doing? Who do you think you are? Like I get that you are weirded out or you don’t like me or whatever but don’t you think I at least deserve a conversation?”

                “No Baekhyun, its not like that, I—”

                “I've been moping around for two whole freaking weeks because you rejected me. How pathetic is that?” Baekhyun was laughing now, and there was no going back.

                “Baekhyun, it’s not pathetic. You’re not pathetic.” Chanyeol pleaded, staring at the boy in front of him. Baekhyun was nowhere near pathetic. Baekhyun’s words stung, but Chanyeol knew he deserved it.

                “Chan, just hear me out. When we first met, I didn’t know that I would come to like you this much. I thought you were cute, and I liked your hair and the fact that you were clumsy. I was kind of hurt at first because you seemed like you didn’t want to talk to me or interact with me, but that was ok because I knew it wasn’t your fault. But then we started actually talking, and I got to know you better and I fell for you fast. Very fast. But that was ok because I thought you liked me too. You laughed at my jokes, and worried about me. I felt like you really cared. And that night, when you took me to the clearing in the forest, you made me feel special, Chanyeol. You made me feel like I really mattered to you, and that made me beyond happy. I thought that you had to feel something! There was no way you didn’t. I was caught up in the moment, and maybe I shouldn’t have kissed you. But I did. And you didn’t pull away!” Baekhyun was raising his voice now, and was practically hysterical.

                “And then, oho, and then, you kissed me again! YOU initiated it! So, Park Chanyeol, why the hell would you kiss me just to pull away and leave me in the dust? Why the hell would you—”

                In one stride Chanyeol swept Baekhyun up into his arms and pressed him against the kitchen counter. “Chanyeol? What are you— oh” Chanyeol’s lips were on Baekhyun’s. Baekhyun hesitated only a second before wrapping his arms around Chanyeol’s neck. I must be dreaming Baekhyun thought, kissing Chanyeol back. Chanyeol lifted Baekhyun up so that he was sitting on the counter with Chanyeol between his legs. Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun impossibly closer, pressing his hand into the small of his back. Baekhyun moaned. Either I’m dreaming, or I’m dead, Baekhyun thought again. How could kissing Chanyeol feel this good? He could easily see himself becoming addicted to this, to Chanyeol’s lips, to Chanyeol—

                Baekhyun pulled away from the kiss, but left his arms around Chanyeol’s neck, with the irrational fear that Chanyeol would try to walk away again. “Yeol, what does this mean?”

                “It means, Byun Baekhyun, that I love you. And I’m not going to deny it anymore.” Chanyeol was grinning, arms still around Baekhyun’s back.

                Baekhyun’s eyes widened. “Chanyeol, you- you just- what?”

                Chanyeol kissed Baekhyun again. “Surprise, I've been falling for you since the first time I met you. When you walked through that front door, I was a goner. Baekhyun, I love you.”

                Baekhyun blinked a couple times before his smile widened. “I knew it! I knew it! I KNEW it, Chanyeol oh my god. “

                “Yeah, you knew and I didn’t.” Chanyeol put his forehead to Baekhyun’s and closed his eyes. “I’m sorry Baekhyun. I hurt you, and you didn’t deserve any of it. I’m going to spend every day making it up to you I promise.” He opened his eyes to Baekhyun staring at him with a thoughtful expression.

                “Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked, not breaking eye contact.

                “Yes?”

                “Will you be my boyfriend?”

                Chanyeol smiled. “I thought you’d never ask.”

\(~U~)/

                “You ready?” Chanyeol asked, glancing at Baekhyun. It was the first day of summer and change was in the air.

                “I can’t believe we haven’t done this yet, it seems really stupid now.” Baekhyun said, laughing. He and Chanyeol had been together for a month now, and Baekhyun had never been happier.

                “Ok, on the count of 3,”

                Baekhyun nodded. No more walls,

                “1”

                Chanyeol glanced at Baekhyun. No more lines,

                “2”

                This was really overdue.

                “3!”

                Bye–bye Neon Yellow Line.

\(~U~)/

Hie its up!! I actually finished this lmao this never happens.

I hope you liked it!! I will edit this eventually lmao

I'm late for orchestra rehersal now whooo go me

thanks for reading pls subscribe and upvote!! <33