pt. 2

The Neon Yellow Line

For the next month until the end of the school year, their lives settled into a pleasant routine. Chanyeol and Baekhyun would have breakfast together and then go to their separate universities. After classes ended Chanyeol would go to work and Baekhyun would bring his books and study at the cafe. When Chanyeol’s shift ended, they would pack up their stuff and drive home. Baekhyun quite liked this arrangement, because he spent a lot more time near his weird, overly attractive roommate. They talked about everything and anything now, and Baekhyun just kept finding new things to like about Chanyeol. He was quirky and down to earth and his old man silver hair was actually quite nice. Like very nice. Like Baekhyun wanted to bury his face in it nice. But Chanyeol would never let him touch him, it seemed like physical contact just made him extremely uncomfortable. As soon as they would enter the apartment Chanyeol would retreat to his side and wouldn't even come near the yellow dividing line. It didn't make sense. Just when Baekhyun was sure that Chanyeol liked him back, that he had a chance, the silver haired boy would pull away, confusing Baekhyun even more.

That day started like any day. Chanyeol and Baekhyun had breakfast together, and then  went to their separate universities. “That will be $3.89,” Chanyeol said to the customer at the counter. His shift had just begun. It was a beautiful day and you could tell summer was just around the corner. Baekhyun hadn't shown up yet, but Chanyeol knew he was probably getting distracted by the flowering trees. Chanyeol smiled to himself. I’ll make him his coffee now so it’s ready when he gets here.

A half hour had passed, and Chanyeol was starting to get a little bit worried. Baek isn’t usually late like this. He kept looking around the little café, just in case Baekhyun had come in without getting a coffee, but there was no one who had a head of pink hair or a whole bunch of textbooks everywhere.

After another hour, Baekhyun’s coffee was completely cold. Chanyeol was sure something had happened and weighed his options. On one hand, Baekhyun could have just fallen asleep at the library or something. On the other hand, He could be captured by a gang and could be extremely hurt. Why the hell do I not have his phone number, what kind of roommate am I?

“Hey are you alright? You seem distracted,” Lay asked from behind Chanyeol.

“Yeah, I’m fine, it’s just,” Chanyeol ran his fingers through his hair restlessly. “Baekhyun hasn’t shown up today and he didn’t tell me anything this morning and I’m kinda really really worried.”

Lay nodded. “Do you need to go? It’s pretty slow today; I think I can handle it on my own.”

“Thank you so much, I owe you ok?” Chanyeol practically yelled as he bolted out the door. Where to go first? He didn’t know where Baekhyun went to university, and he didn’t have his number. What the actual—WHAT DO YOU EVEN KNOW ABOUT HIM PARK CHANYEOL?  

Chanyeol sighed. He texted lay to call him if Baekhyun showed up at the coffee shop and walked to his car. He didn’t know where he was going, but just started driving around. He drove by every bus stop in a 5 mile radius until eventually he ended up back at their apartment. Unfortunately, it was empty.

Soon, it was 9pm and Chanyeol was a mess. He kept alternating between pacing on his side of the apartment, opening and closing the front door, and sitting on the couch. He tried to watch some TV, but then just gave up and resumed pacing. Ok, if Baekhyun’s not back by ten, I’m calling the police.

At exactly 9:42pm, the front door swung open. Baekhyun walked in holding four grocery bags, struggling to close the door.

“Hey Chanyeol! Sorry I’m so late, the bus system was down for the day and I couldn’t come to the coffee shop. Oh, but I did manage to stop by the—”

He turned around and pair of arms wrapped around him, pulling Baekhyun close. Baekhyun dropped the bags.

“Ch-Chanyeol?” Baekhyun stuttered, in shock. Chanyeol was warm and strong and Baekhyun couldn’t help but think how well he fit into his arms.

“Please Baek, don’t ever scare me like that again.” Chanyeol said into his hair, his deep voice hoarse, like he had been crying. Baekhyun buried his face into his chest. Chanyeol pulled him closer, like he would never get another chance to hold him. Baekhyun felt the sudden urge to laugh. Chanyeol was acting like Baekhyun had died or something and it was adorably amusing.

“I was so scared, Baek, I thought something had happened to you,”

“Uh, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said, voice muffled.

“I didn’t have your number, and I didn’t know what university you go to and--”

“Uh, hey, Chanyeol?”

“Like what kind of roommate am I? I don’t even have your number!”

“Chanyeol!”

“Yes?” Chanyeol asked, realizing Baekhyun had been calling his name.

“You’re on my side of The Tape,” Baekhyun said, tapping him on the back.

Chanyeol froze, and slowly pulled away. Baekhyun immediately regretted saying anything, because the warmth was gone and Chanyeol was already retreating to his side.

“Oh, um, right uh, the tape. My side, your side. Sorry, it won’t happen again.” Chanyeol said, blushing. “I’m going to go to bed ok? Um, please disregard my completely weird behavior.”

Chanyeol turned to leave, but Baekhyun wasn’t finished yet.

“Let me make it up to you! We can go out for dinner tomorrow night! My treat,” Baekhyun said, seizing opportunity. Hehe no backing out of this one Park Chanyeol.

Chanyeol turned around. “Uh, sure. Yeah. Fun. Dinner. With you . dinner. Good.” Chanyeol laughed nervously. “As… roommates, right?”

Baekhyun smirked. “Sure Chan, as roommates. If that’s what you want. I was thinking more along the lines of a date, but I don’t want to overstep my boundaries you know.” He said, staring pointedly at the bright tape separating them.

Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something, and then closed it again. He wanted to laugh, to cry, to take Baekhyun into his arms and scream to the sky that yes, he really wanted to go on a date with Byun Baekhyun. But instead, he simply nodded twice. Once again, he turned to retreat to his bed room.

Baekhyun’s face fell. Why why why why why why whY WHY WHYW HYW WHY YOU CANT PLAY WITH ME LIKE THAT PARK CHANYEOL WHY WHY WHY. Chanyeol had just hugged him. Like, more than hugged him. Embraced him. Yes, friends hug, but that hug felt a little more than friendly. Suddenly, he remembered something.

“Hey Chanyeol wait, I still need your phone number!”

\(~U~)/

Baekhyun stood by the door of their shared apartment practically bouncing up and down. “Come on Yeol, I’m starving!” Baekhyun had been ready for a full fifteen minutes and Chanyeol was still getting ready. “Chan, what are you even doing in there?”

“Uh, I’m almost ready! I’ll be out in a minute!” Chanyeol was standing in the middle of his room, the entire contents of his closet strewn on his bed. How had it escalated to this point? He had a nice outfit on, before he began second guessing himself and trying on another outfit. One thing led to another and soon he was left only with a messy room an impatient Baekhyun. He decided to just wear what he had first been planning to wear; a plain white t-shirt with a blue blazer and jeans. He had attempted to comb back his silvery hair, but ended up just running his hands through it, messing it up. He sighed. He really needed to calm down. It wasn’t even like it was a date. I mean, it could have been, but Chanyeol turned it down like an idiot. Stupid yellow line.

“Chanyeol! Get your out here or swear I will pee on your couch! On your side, not mine!” Baekhyun hollered. “Well, maybe not, but—”

Baekhyun gawked at Chanyeol. He decided it should be illegal for Park Chanyeol to wear blazers. He would also like it to be illegal for park Chanyeol to wear anything at all. No Baekhyun, don’t be a . Not cool.

“Hi.” Chanyeol said, digging his hands into his pockets. Baekhyun couldn’t tell for sure, but he was pretty certain that Chanyeol was blushing.

“Hi! You look hot. Let’s go! There’s this new Thai place around the corner and it seems really good! Wait do you even like Thai food?

Chanyeol was in slight shock over Baekhyun’s blatant compliment, but managed, “Yes Baek, I really love Thai food.”

                Baekhyun grabbed Chanyeol’s hand. “Great! Let’s go!”

\(~U~)/

                During dinner, Baekhyun told Chanyeol about his day and Chanyeol listened. He told Chanyeol where he went to university, and how he worked really hard to get a scholarship. Chanyeol told Baekhyun about his hometown and how his parents were happy he made it to Seoul but still didn’t want him to go. Baekhyun asked him about dimple boy, and Chanyeol told him that Lay looks like an angel but is actually evil and Baekhyun should stay away from him at all costs. Chanyeol laughed at all of Baekhyun’s jokes, even the cheesy ones, and tried to learn everything he could about Baekhyun. Baekhyun wanted to believe it was a date, really wanted it to be a date. But it wasn’t. And every time Baekhyun remembered that it hit him like a blow to the chest. How could Chanyeol do that? How could this, just being with Chanyeol feel so right to Baekhyun but not to Chanyeol?

                They finished their dinner, and Baekhyun insisted on paying, since he was making it up to Chanyeol for the day before.

Baekhyun let out a sigh. “See that was fun. You should have seen the look on your face when that waiter tried to hit on you. You looked so scared!” They were walking on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant, just talking.

“I was just caught off guard ok? How often is it that a random cute stranger hits on you? Maybe I should have gotten his number…” Chanyeol mumbled.

Baekhyun laughed a little too loudly. “Uhhh, maybe. But he seemed kinda crusty, I mean who hits on his customers right?”

Chanyeol coughed. “Uh, yeah, you're probably right.”

Baekhyun cleared his throat. “Sooooo, are we going home?” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol. Technically, they were heading towards Chanyeol’s car, but neither one of them wanted to go home yet. They walked side by side fingers brushing. And for once, Baekhyun noticed, Chanyeol wasn’t pulling away. Suddenly Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s hand.

                “I want to show you something!” he said, pulling Baekhyun towards the car.

\(~U~)/

                “Wow, that’s so cool!” Baekhyun said, stepping out of the car. They were parke in front of what seemed to be a forest, with trails that runners and hikers used. “Just kidding, I don’t get it, they’re just trees; what exactly did you want to show me?”

“You’ll see, just trust me.” Chanyeol said, taking Baekhyun’s hand again. Baekhyun wanted to say something, to say it wasn't fair, that Chanyeol can't do that and expect Baekhyun to be passive about it. But he also didn't want Chanyeol to pull away yet again, so he was silent as Chanyeol led him into the forest.

They stayed on the trail for a while before Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun off the path into the trees. There was no trail, but Chanyeol seemed to know where he was going.

“I really like it here, barely anyone knows about these trails. It's really calm most of the time.” Chanyeol said. “And, if they do know these trails, I'm sure I'm the only one who knows the forest well enough to get through it without trails.              “Chan, please don’t tell me you brought me out here to kill me. Because right now, that’s exactly what it looks like.”

                Chanyeol snorted. “You’ve been watching way too much Criminal Minds.”

                “Oh come on! I trust you, it’s dark, and you’re leading me into the woods off the hiking path. I mean that seems like a pretty plausible— Oh.”

                They had emerged in a little clearing, moonlight shining through the opening in trees. The leaves looked almost reflective in the moonlight and the ground was sparkling. He looked at Chanyeol, who was grinning. “I found this place when I was running with some friends in freshman year. I had veered off the trail and ended up here. It’s my little secret hideaway. I come here when I have a lot on my mind.”

                “You run?” Baekhyun asked, curious. “What other weird hobbies do you have?”

                Chanyeol chuckled. “Running isn’t weird and I also play guitar. You know, occasionally. Also I sing. And rap. Did you know I’m an arts major?”

               “I could have guessed. I’m a psych major. I want to understand and help people. My mom thinks I’ll go crazy myself, but I think it would be worth it.”

                Chanyeol smiled. “You’d be really good at that.”

                Baekhyun spun around in a circle. “It’s so peaceful! I didn't know you had this side to you, Park,”

“Are you ever going to decide on one nickname for me, Baek?” Chanyeol asked, crossing his arms.

Baekhyun laughed. “Probably not, but it doesn't change the fact that I like Chanyeol the best. Just Chanyeol.”

“So if you like it so much, why do you bother to shorten it?” Chanyeol asked

“Because if you use the same thing over and over, it’s no longer unique; and you’re definitely unique, in the best way possible.”

The cool spring air was scented with pine. Baekhyun breathed in and sighed. “We should come here more often. I like bein--bickering with you.” Baekhyun laughed nervously. A breeze billowed around them, but Baekhyun barely noticed. “and, there’s no yellow dividing line, which is a definite plus” he added teasingly.            

Chanyeol’s expression was thoughtful. “Yeah, no yellow line…”

                Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, and found himself stepping closer to him. The moonlight was reflecting off Chanyeol’s silver hair, making him look almost ethereal. In the clearing, surrounded by trees, Baekhyun felt like they were the only people in existence, like they were in a little bubble, like time had stopped.

He found himself bringing his hand up to Chanyeol’s cheek, feeling more and more exposed with every passing second, like everything in his heart was on display for Chanyeol to see. Chanyeol didn’t pull away, and stared right into Baekhyun’s soul, taking his breath with him. Baekhyun leaned in and closed the gap between them. His heart stopped. Chanyeol’s lips were soft and welcoming and Chanyeol. The kiss was soft and chaste, and Baekhyun pulled away too soon.

He opened his eyes looked into Chanyeol’s. They were deep and dark and wonderful. Chanyeol wasn’t saying anything, and Baekhyun was too flustered to speak. He was about to pull away when Chanyeol pressed his hand on the small of his back and pulled Baekhyun back into his embrace. This time, Chanyeol was kissing Baekhyun, and Baekhyun was kissing him back. Baekhyun loved how their lips fit so well together and how Chanyeol’s fingers brushed the hem of his shirt and the way Chanyeol was smiling ever so slightly.

This has to be it. This is what people talk about. This is true love.

                Chanyeol gasped suddenly and stumbled away from Baekhyun. He was mumbling something, but all Baekhyun could pick up were “oh my god” and “the line” and “freakin’ roommates.”

                “Chanyeol? Are you ok? What’s wrong?” Baekhyun tried to reach for his hand but Chanyeol jerked away.

“I'm-I’m fine. Uh, fine, I just--” he stumbled backwards , hitting a tree.

Baekhyun winced. “Chanyeol,” he whispered. He wrapped around his torso, suddenly cold. “Why would you-- you can't--”

“Baekhyun I'm sorry I shouldn't have, I just got caught up in the moment and--” Chanyeol was fighting back tears. “It didn't mean anything Baekhyun, I'm really really sorry. I need to go, I-I need to get think.”

Baekhyun watched Chanyeol until he disappeared into the forest. It wasn't fair. Chanyeol couldn't just-- he couldn't just-- Baekhyun collapsed to the ground. He wasn't crying, just in shock. He felt like Chanyeol had just stabbed his heart and walked away. They weren't even together. There was no way in hell Chanyeol couldn't feel something. There was no way. Chanyeol wouldn't just run away. He would be waiting for Baekhyun, leaning on the hood of his car like he always was outside of the cafe. Baekhyun took a deep breath. He wouldn't cry, because nothing had changed. Chanyeol was still Chanyeol, and they were still roommates. Chanyeol still played guitar and laughed at all of Baekhyun's corny jokes. Everything would work out, because it was Chanyeol.

\(~U~)/

 

 

Baekhyun rode the bus home.

 

 

\(~U~)/

Hie so this is up now and originally I was just going to put the two last parts together but it is too long

pt. 3 aka the last part will be up tommorrow or the day after

i need to do homework lmao 

pls subscribe and upvote!! <33