Final

A Ghost's Possession

“C’mon we should leave. It’s so creepy in here,” he said grabbing his best friend by the sleeve.

“Aw you’re scared. How cute. It’s really not that bad out here,” his friend taunted with a slight push to his shoulder.

“But what if something, you know, pops out at us?”

“There’s nothing here. It’s just an empty graveyard.”

Or so he thought.  

The night started out like every other autumn night in their town. It was chilly, with a small wind whisking up leaves every once in awhile. But the peaceful night never lasts long on Halloween, as the stories say. The wind abruptly stopped, as if time was frozen itself, once the two boys stepped foot into the graveyard. As the two were taking their shortcut through the cemetery on their way to a party, a light breeze, almost like a breath, whisked past them, chilling every fiber of their beings.

“Jongdae, did you feel that?” Jongin asked frantically turning his head to find a source of the wind.

“Yeah it’s called the wind. We get it all the time,” Jongdae sassed back ignoring the spontaneous burst of air.

It didn’t take long for the second omen to appear before the two friends. The faint glow of the street lights cast dark shadows on the near dead grass, shadows that seemed to have a mind of their own. Jongin was the only one who spotted the living inanimate object. A small scream escaped his mouth as he watched Jongdae’s shadow being stabbed in the torso in a violent swing. Jongin hurriedly looked up to see the bloody remains of his former best friend, but Jongdae was there unscathed.

“Dude you really need to stop pulling all-nighters,” Jongdae scolded with a hint of annoyance, “You’re starting to see things.”

“No! I saw you, and you were being stabbed, but you were also not being stabbed. And there was something behind you and-”

“C’mon. How about instead of the party we just hang out at my place.”

“You sure?”

“Positive. I really didn’t want to see Baekhyun dancing on the table again like last year anyway.”

Jongin replied with a light chuckle, “Yeah, it gets pretty weird.”

Jongin and Jongdae exited the graveyard and to Jongdae’s street, failing to complete the task of closing the gate. What went in as two shadows came out as three.

The two stayed up playing video games and watching Netflix movie marathons until it was three in the morning. Grabbing blankets and pillows, they each took a separate couch to make a makeshift bed. It didn’t take much time before both were asleep. Minutes ticked on as the boys slept, and with each tick, he came closer.

Five minutes. He was outside.
Eight minutes. He was by the door.
Nine minutes. He was inside.
Twelve minutes. He was by Jongdae.
Thirteen minutes. Jongdae was dead.

He stood up admiring his work, his translucent body shimmering in the moonlight. It didn’t take much to get rid of the boy. He was like a doll, easy to bend and rip apart.

‘Now that he’s out of the way,’ He thought with a psychotic grin.

The mysterious entity slowly approached the other boy, the same grin apparent on his face as he leaned over his sleeping form.
“I’ll see you soon,” he whispered in a sickly sweet tone.

They both disappeared together.

In recent news, the case of the teen murder-kidnapping is still under investigation by local authorities. The Chief of Police along with the town’s SWAT team is currently tracking the killer. Police found the body of seventeen year old Kim Jongdae in his home and pronounced him dead at the scene. An Amber Alert is still in effect for seventeen year old Kim Jongin, who went missing the same night. No evidence has been found of a possible suspect. The local police department would like anyone with information to please call the emergency hotline as soon as possible.

The same news story continued on for weeks with no success in finding the murderer. Eventually, everyone gave up, and the case was closed. With every minute, the story of the two boys seemed to disappear. Their names, faces, memories, every piece of them disappeared, until they were wiped from existence.

Life went on without the two. They were never born. He made sure of it. No one could know that Jongin is still alive, his Jongin. Only he can have the boy and no one else.

The disoriented feeling was the only indication to Jongin that he was still living, but even then he wasn't so sure of it. The young boy awoke in a dimly lit room on a red bed, with no recollection of how he ended up there.

"What? Where am I?" He wondered, scanning the room for an exit.

"Home," an unfamiliar voice replied.

Jongin turned his body to face the stranger and put his hands up ready to defend himself if necessary. The voice belonged to a shadow that began to materialize into a boy about his age. Jongin stared at the other, analyzing his features. He was beautiful. The boy looked young but wise, an air of authority surrounding him. He had the face of a baby with his round cheeks and warm eyes, ones that could convince a person to do anything he wished. Those same eyes made Jongin less frightened by the supernatural being in front of him. Defenseless, just how he liked them.

"Who are you? And where is this 'home' exactly?"

"It's your home. Don't you remember? You've lived here for years with me," he said in a convincing tone, almost as if it was the truth, almost as if Jongin did live here.

Jongin’s head began to cloud, and a foreign feeling took over his body. He started to believe everything the shadow was saying. False memories of the two of them were implanted one by one into his head, but the thought of Jongdae kept Jongin grounded. He shook his head and backed up off the bed onto the far wall of the room. His heart rate increased as the boy slowly glided across the room.

“No. You're wrong. I don't know you, and I've never lived here! Let me go you, you murderer!” Jongin screamed sliding across the wall to escape the boy.

“That's no way to talk to your boyfriend,” the boy chided.

“I'm not your boyfriend! You're insane!”

“All of us have a little insanity inside. Mine is just more noticeable.”

“Just stay away from me!”

Jongin realized too late that he was cornered and the boy took that to his advantage. In a flash, the boy was inches away from Jongin, the coldness of his body making Jongin shiver. The shadow moved his hand to ghost over Jongin’s face, a sweet smile spreading across his face, his heart shaped lips making the human melt inside.

The same fuzzy feeling engulfed Jongin, clouding his head once more. He suddenly saw the other being as even more attractive, a perfect angel. The shadow took the opportunity to get what he wanted from Jongin, mentally smirking as he thought about his future plans with the living boy.

“Do you not remember living here? This is your home. This has been your home, with me.”

The false memories from before were slipping into Jongin’s mind, this time replacing all of the ones of Jongdae. As Jongin looked at the boy with familiarity, the shadow continued, “You're my boyfriend. You've always been my boyfriend, and you always will be. You're mine.”

“I'm yours,” Jongin repeated dreamily.

“Mmhmm, forever and ever.”

Jongin nodded as the other closed the gap between them, their lips molding together as if they were the two missing pieces of a puzzle.

The boy pulled away in satisfaction, his lips leaving a trail up Jongin’s neck and stopping at his ear, “My name is Kyungsoo. Welcome home to hell, baby.”

~

Kyungsoo’s plan worked perfectly. He has the boy in the palm of his hand. Now he has one piece of his plan left, the only way Jongin can be his true self.

The two have lived in Kyungsoo’s home for what felt like months to Jongin, but it was in reality years. They spent their days concealed from the outside, Kyungsoo too protective of his boyfriend since Jongin was the only human in hell.

The difference in time didn't seem to change Jongin’s maturation. He still aged as if he was on earth. Now he's twenty-one years old, while Kyungsoo is still the age of eighteen, the same age he's been for the past two hundred years. Anger surged through Kyungsoo as thoughts of an aging Jongin filled his head. A petty thing such as time cannot taint his flawless face. He should stay young for eternity. He must stay young. That's how Kyungsoo created him.

Jongin walked in the room occupied by the deep in thought Kyungsoo and wrapped his arms around his torso. He sensed the ghost boy’s stress and smiled lovingly as Kyungsoo melted in his arms, “Hey babe. I was thinking today we could spend the day outside for once.”

“Are you sure? I know how you're worried about the others,” Kyungsoo asked with a concerned look.

“I'll be okay. You worry about me too much Soo.”

“I just want you to be safe,” Kyungsoo replied, “I'll do anything for you baby. Be ready in a few minutes.”

Kissing him on the cheek, Jongin gets up to fix his appearance, “I'll be back.”

With the absence of his stress reliever, Kyungsoo went back into his innermost thoughts. His anger towards time built up and reminded him of his original plan, the one meant to fix this inevitable issue. He must execute this plan soon.

Jongin came back as promised and took Kyungsoo’s extended hand, a euphoric sensation washing over him as they touched. He was led to a back door which revealed a lavish garden with flowers glowing the brightness of fire. The human was whisked past the unnatural beauties and led to a small bench underneath a canopy of floral wonders. A gasp escaped his lips as a vine grew before his eyes, a lone flower blooming at his fingertips. Kyungsoo plucked the delicate plant and stuck it in Jongin’s hair, the dark pink of the petals matching his dyed style.

“It's amazing out here. Why didn't we go outside before?” Jongin asked, his eyes sparkling with wonder.

“I wanted this moment to be perfect,” his boyfriend replied.

Their foreheads touched as the two looked each other in the eyes, smiles apparent on both boys. Kyungsoo pecked Jongin’s lips and slid back, gazing up at the colorful landscape, “Have you ever wanted to stop aging?” He asked nonchalantly.

“I don't know. It never really crossed my mind,” Jongin said.

“Don't you want to stay young with me?” Kyungsoo asked, his charm taking its hold on the human.

Jongin’s head went blank, blocking out all other means of thinking except listening to Kyungsoo’s voice. Kyungsoo’s voice was his conscience, his law. Jongin could hear no one else. The supernatural boy lightly grabbed his hand and pulled him up to walk over to the middle of the canopy. They began to dance, a slow orchestra playing from thin air. Jongin swayed back and forth, almost as if he was drunk, using the other as an anchor. The sweet sound of Kyungsoo’s laughter surrounded him, making him grin like a five year old.

“Would you like to stay beautiful forever my little doll?” Kyungsoo’s melodic voice echoed through his ears.

Jongin nodded and leaned on the boy’s shoulder,“I do.”

“I can help you. All you need to do is one little thing for me.”

“What is it? I’ll do anything for you.”

“I want you to kill somebody.”

The world froze around them. Whether it was Kyungsoo’s literal doing or Jongin’s unbreakable loyalty towards him, remained a mystery. Their dancing stopped, but the two still stood in their positions, eyes never leaving each other. The shadow boy was afraid that his last statement would trigger memories of Jongdae, but luckily those memories were erased long ago.

Kyungsoo broke the silence to continue, “Just imagine the human breaking under your will. The helpless look in their eyes. Their warm blood coating your hands a beautiful red. You'll have the power. You'll be in control,” he spoke in a soft melodic voice.

Jongin shuddered in delight as his body began to be consumed by bloodlust. He wanted to be with Kyungsoo. He would do anything to be with him. With every word he heard, a darkness consumed him, pushing his humanity to the back corner. The much much older boy smirked as his lover let go of his morals. He circled his boyfriend, his shoulders. The dark aura surrounding them grew, turning the surrounding flowers a midnight black.

“One little life for eternal beauty,” Kyungsoo whispered, his lips ghosting over the other’s. The flower on Jongin’s hair fell to the ground, trails of thick black staining the petals. It bled, a pool of red forming around itself.

“Tell me what I need to do,” Jongin breathed.

“Tomorrow. Today, we can enjoy ourselves.”

The two moved closer to each other, closing the space between them. Using his supernatural speed, Kyungsoo took Jongin over to the bench, straddling him. Jongin moved his hand up and down his boyfriend’s chest, trying to get him to switch positions.

“Why don't we take this inside?” Jongin smirked.

~

The two collapsed on the red silk bed; the same one Jongin woke up on years ago. Their short breaths keeping in time with each other. The normal Jongin would never get this far with anyone, let alone Kyungsoo, but he's long gone. His old self has been replaced with a darker body, one that was designed by Kyungsoo to be the perfect partner, the perfect doll.

Jongin’s eyes flashed a deep red as he scanned the toned body of his boyfriend. Being dead never seemed to change his beautiful tan complexion, it made him glow even more. Kyungsoo returned his gaze up to the human, mimicking his behavior. Instead of a quick flash, his eyes turned and remained the same deep red, as if they were filled with the blood of his victims. That enticing look made the air in Jongin’s lungs disappear. He loved having that effect on the boy, how just one movement could make him melt. He began to softly sing a song long forgotten in a language long forgotten. Jongin rested his head on the other’s chest, letting himself drift off to the sound of Kyungsoo’s velvety voice.

The following day, the red silk bed was still occupied by the couple. The mix of warm and cold bodies, draped by layers of delicate fabric kept them at ease. A small moan from Kyungsoo pulled Jongin from his dreams into his reality. As a lover of sleep, his eyes remained closed, trying to drift back into that world. Kyungsoo laughed lightly at his puppy-like expression, but he wasn’t giving up that easily. Slowly, he leaned over Jongin, leaving a trail of kisses up his bare collarbone.

The younger squirmed underneath him, “Kyungsoo,” he whimpered but went back to sleep.

Kyungsoo then pushed back the covers slightly, exposing his boyfriend’s abs. Shivers ran down Jongin’s torso, causing him to unconsciously hug his body. Stepping up his game to wake him up, Kyungsoo slid his hand over his six pack. With no major response, he moved his hand down to his legs, rubbing circles on his inner thighs. That did the trick. Jongin instinctively went for the other’s hand, his eyes wide. Heat spread down to his core as Kyungsoo continued to massage his thighs.

He was fully awake now. He shifted his body into an upright sitting position, snuggling into his boyfriend’s body. The two sat in a sweet silence, enjoying each other’s embrace. Only when a grumble emitted from Jongin’s abdomen did they part ways.

A large spread of pancakes, waffles, fruit, and other delicious breakfast foods were lining the dining table when Jongin walked in. His mouth watered at the sight of the steaming carbs. Kyungsoo walked out of the kitchen with an adorable apron on, flour dusted all over it.

“You made all this?” Jongin asked in amazement.

“And you’re surprised? I thought you liked my cooking,” Kyungsoo replied, draping his arms over Jongin’s shoulders.

“You’re the best cook there is.”

“Thanks, babe. C’mon this food isn’t gonna eat itself.”

When the two were finished indulging in the never ending breakfast, they moved over to a couch in their grand living room. Reaching behind him, Kyungsoo picked up a wrapped box and handed it to Jongin.

“What’s this?” He asked, curious of the present.

“It’s a little something I got you,” Kyungsoo said, “You’ll be needing it soon.”

Jongin ripped the paper covering from the box and removed its lid. Inside was a small blade, just the right size for his hand. He picked it up and examined the weapon. Its sharp blade was pure silver, and the handle was an earthy brown. His fingers traced the engraving on the cool metal, an engraving he recognized in his native language.

죽음 의 부활

Bringer of Death.

Jongin stared at the sleek knife. He felt strange holding it. It gave him power. It gave him life. He felt a connection to the object, almost like he’s had it his whole life. Jongin felt a pulsing coming from the blade. He heard it calling to him, telling him to do things. Use me. Drain life into me. Kill.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Kyungsoo mused, snapping Jongin out of his thoughts.

“It’s perfect.”

“Just wait until you use it. There’s no other high like your first kill.”

Kyungsoo took the blade from Jongin and twirled it in his fingers, “Tell me. Are you ready to seal your fate?”

“I am.”

The older boy stood up and pulled Jongin up with him. Together they became smoky shadows, speeding to their earthy destination.

The familiar graveyard where Jongin first released Kyungsoo entered their field of vision as their bodies became opaque. The hunt for the victim led by the shadow whisked them quickly away from the rows of headstones, a wind created from the speed. Dust off of a lonesome grave brushed away revealing the words on the stone, not seen by either of the boys.

Here Lies

Do Kyungsoo

12 January 1793 - 26 April 1811

My darling baby boy

spawn of hell

The victim was chosen not by the belief of the boys but by the knife. It spoke again to Jongin, telling him whose blood it wants to feel. Him. I want him. Kim Minseok. Jongin’s older brother. Kyungsoo nudged Jongin in the unsuspecting boy’s direction, eyes containing a black hole of darkness. The pulsing began, traveling up to his heart, becoming one with it.

Boom boom.

He stepped towards his prey.

Boom boom.

Minseok felt uneasy and looked up.

Boom boom.

He ran to close the gap between them.

Boom boom.

He muffled Minseok’s screams.

Boom boom.

He raised the blade.

Boom boom.

The blade hit skin.

Boom boom.

Blood spilled.

Boom boom.

Breathing stopped.

Boom boom.

He killed.

It felt good, didn’t it? Taking a life? This is the beginning of your sins. The voice of the blade spoke, its tone mixing with the sound of Kyungsoo’s voice. Maybe it’s been Kyungsoo’s voice all along. Jongin slumped against the wall, his thirst for blood satisfied for the time being. Kyungsoo approached the boy slowly, admiring the beautiful masterpiece he’s created.

“Now you must take his soul,” he said softly, his voice dark and raspy at the same time, “Go on. Immortal power is at your fingertips.”

Jongin nodded and crouched to be level with the corpse. With his knife, he sliced Minseok’s throat open, a glowing wisp flowing from the cut. He led the blue-white substance to his lips, swallowing the essence of life. The soul warmed his body, revitalizing his being. But in his newfound strength he found himself becoming weaker in freedom. He could not think for himself any longer. The only thoughts that occupied his mind were Kyungsoo’s echoing in the empty caverns of his old self. Standing up, Jongin stumbled over to the other, collapsing in his beckoning outstretched arms. His body was no longer his. He was the puppet on Kyungsoo’s strings. Jongin passed out as his hair shifted into a snowy white color.

“My beautiful, Kai”