Crash Course

Criminal Act - The Story

∞∞∞∞∞

“Say what?” throwing her bag onto the couch as the door hissed shut Chorong the lights and walked into the kitchen in search of dinner.

Having come up from small countryside village Damyang Chorong had been alone. No friends, no relative. No one to rely on but herself. Until graduation she’d lived in a smelly dorm with lower class residents of Seoul society until she saved enough for this studio after getting into the Interpol. Loneliness had been a humongous shadow at the beginning, but only until she managed to befriend intelligent man Kim Joonmyun. His free tutor lessons were what brought them closer. Like any other couple they naturally became one after spending much time alone together. There wasn’t any extravagant about how their relationship came to, nothing special. Joonmyun felt like home, dispelled her sad days, and was her meaning. He always kept her going. He just had to be there and she knew everything would be fine. She doted on him to the point she couldn’t define love anymore.

But he messed up.

Chorong believed she had been his first. They spent many nights in her small dorm together curled under the sheets, making out, and just being together. She enjoyed everything about him, was willing to accept all his flaws. She believed she had been his first until Shin Aejung appeared at the Police School one day. She was pregnant. It was his son.

Ever since that awful predicament, Chorong devoted her life to work. Get out of the country as many times as possible, focus on as many crimes as she could, and stay away from the memories buried under ice. It had been a success for a while until she came back from Australia to find that Joonmyun was a wanted man.

She was despicable for still caring about him, but a crime was a crime. She had to be the first to bring him in if she wanted to save his dignity. If she pulled some strings with her boss the court would go easy on him.

“He was driving,” Bomi explained.

“He has a car?” Chorong asked dumbfounded. “How? Did he jack one?”

“Fear not, my lady,” Bomi said, “and before you tell me to check who the car belongs to, I’ve already done that.” Chorong waited patiently and felt her heart hike up when Bomi went on, “It belongs his wife, Shin Aejung.”

She’s helping him. Chorong grit her teeth instinctively. That woman was helping him before she could. The realization was so bitter.

“So?” Chorong fought to control her calm. “Are they together now?”

“She flew out of the country on an afternoon flight,” Bomi told. “Connect the dots, dear friend.”

Falling silent Chorong felt her eyes narrow and pressed her lips firmly together. Of course, that was why Joonmyun was at the airport this morning. He was saving his wife from further harm – if any was to come to her. Shin Aejung was still his first priority, even today when they were already divorced – news Bomi had blabbered to her because the friend thought she needed to know.

“Track the car and give me their location,” Chorong ordered.

“Their?” Bomi repeated confused.

“He’s back on the run with Kim Namjoo.”

“The Interpol Agent?” Bomi asked surprised.

Popping a box into the microwave Chorong punched a button to heat the food up. “Call back as soon as you find something. I don’t have a good feeling about this.”

∞∞∞∞∞

Namjoo and Joonmyun ordered out and ate at a school park. Returning to the car they waited until night fell. Night clubs and bars didn’t get busy until after 9PM. They would have to move before the prime hours hit in order to involve fewer innocents if there were to be hits and misses.

As they drove into the parking lot Namjoo glanced up at the sparkly night sign just above the building. Flashy indeed and blinding. Stepping out of the car she felt her head turn to her right. In her head she could see the huge monster truck waiting for them, prepared to run them over. She and Joonmyun had been dead determined to right everything a year ago. They were finally back right where it had ended.

Music pounded, adrenaline of young and middle aged adults shot up on the dance floor. Bartenders were too occupied chatting and mixing drinks to eye them as they walked in. Namjoo glanced around. The scene around her was ordinary. People out to get drunk and have a good time. Her eyes immediately shut when a bright ray of light from the disco ball shot across her face.

“This way,” she heard Joonmyun say. Sticking close through the crowd of people moving to the beat on the floor Namjoo followed before any of them might crash into her. Finally turning the corner she found them in the hallway with the elevators. The same pimp who’d confronted them last year was still there. Namjoo recognized his skimpy face.

Extending her hand out and slightly hitting Joonmyun she said, “I lead.”

Rolling her shoulders back as she stepped forth she placed a hand on the pimp’s shoulder and smiled coyly. “Still waiting on doors? While everyone’s out doing pot and smoking, you’re all alone. Don’t you want to ditch?”

The pimp narrowed his eyes warily, “Who are you?”

Tracing a finger down his neckline Namjoo tugged on the collar of his jacket. Peering into his eyes she quietly said, “How much do you get paid for this dirty job?”

“This …” he muttered then held his head high, “where’d you come from? Get out of here. You don’t know who you’re messing with.”

He immediately fell silent when he felt the head of her gun against his belly. “Open the elevator.” she demanded. With lips tightly shut he punched the button. When the lift opened Namjoo pushed him in and said to Joonmyun, “Let’s go.”

“Hey guys, cool down,” the pimp nervously tried when she pushed him into the corner. “I was just joking with you out there.” He glanced over Namjoo’s shoulder to Joonmyun for help, “Come on, man. Lets be cool here. Tell your friend to calm down, huh?”

Joonmyun glanced up behind him to see the camera hanging in the corner then turned back to the pimp. Grinning he said, “Who’s watching?”

“I don’t know…” he whined and let out a cry when Namjoo pressed the gun harder against him, “the security guards. That’s all! I’m not lying!”

Namjoo and Joonmyun sent each other a glance. Quickly tucking her gun into the back of her jeans and covering it with her jacket she let Joonmyun snatch the pimp by the front of his shirt. As soon as the elevator opened they dragged him down the hall.

∞∞∞∞∞

“Night club in Gangnam,” Bomi immediately spoke when Chorong picked up. “They’re at a night club. I’ll send you the location.”

Hanging up Chorong jumped to her feet from the couch and grabbing her bag was out the door in a millisecond. Hitting the button she stepped into the elevator and waited for it to reach ground level.

A nightclub. Why? What was the purpose of going there? To have a night out? That just didn’t seem to fit the picture. There was definitely a reason why Namjoo and Joonmyun were stuck so close to each other. They were looking for something, but what? What would a nightclub have for them?

It just didn’t make sense the more she thought about it. Instead of staying in hiding Joonmyun had returned to Seoul, the most dangerous place for him. Something was here. Was he trying to look into Kim Yongchan’s homicide?

As the elevator opened Chorong dashed out. Getting into her car she started the engine up and fumbling for her phone as she sped down the road, dialed for Bomi again.

“I need another favor,” she breathlessly said, “Kim Yongchan’s murder, can you get me a copy of the case files?”

“Why?”

“I have to check something out.”

“That’s not in our jurisdiction,” Bomi tried, “you know better than me that the FBI is on it.”

“I know,” Chorong impatiently breathed, “just pull something out.”

There was a tired sigh before Bomi inclined, “All right, I’ll do what I can.”

∞∞∞∞∞

Back in the bathroom again. After Namjoo locked the door they’d forced the pimp down onto his knees with arms raised like a student being punished at school. Joonmyun wouldn’t let him go until he got a satisfactory answer. This time he wasn’t out to play gentle and easy. He nearly died one time before. It wouldn’t happen again.

Standing on opposite ends he and Namjoo continuously tossed her gun back and forth above him, teasing him. Each time they did it he whimpered. Joonmyun was starting to understand why the pimp had been left behind. He was weak. He didn’t have the guts to kill.

“Where is he?” Joonmyun asked. “Out back smoking? Ready in his truck with his boys and girls? Is he waiting for us? Or did you secretly contact him, tell him those guys are back?”

“I didn’t do anything,” he shook his head, trembling like a boy in front of the man he’d just stolen from. “I’m serious, he’s not here! I don’t…” he paused momentarily before continuing pitifully, “I don’t know where he is.”

Throwing the gun back to Namjoo Joonmyun stepped over to the pimp and got down on one knee beside him. Tugging his jacket to pull him forward threateningly Joonmyun pulled out the pocket knife the pimp had attempted to use on him a year ago. “If you still can’t remember, I can make you remember by peeling off each inch of your skin. Do you know that cops have done worse with gangsters?” Joonmyun stared into his face. “But I’m not a cop.” Wiping the blade against the pimp’s jacket very close to his neck Joonmyun questioned, “Now, where’s the club operator and what is he doing this minute?”

“He’s not here,” the pimp cried, “I swear. They left an hour ago.”

“Come on, you know more than that. Even a doormat would know,” Joonmyun quietly spoke.

“There’s an abandoned warehouse. They manufactured steel a few years ago. He’s there.” The pimp guiltily admitted, his eyes unable to meet Joonmyun’s.

“How many?” Joonmyun asked. When the pimp couldn’t collect himself to reply Joonmyun pulled him forward violently.

“Three…maybe four,” the pimp shook his head, “I don’t remember.”

Shoving him back Joonmyun stood to his feet. “Tell them we’re coming.”

He and Namjoo hurried back downstairs and outside into the night air. The stars were fresh and the moon bold. It might be a long night, but as long as they remained on dry land Joonmyun was content.

“The place is enclosed by private gates,” Namjoo said as they walked to the car together. To their relief, this time no monster truck awaited them. “SG Group used to own the property. How did the gang get their hands on that?”

“Coincidence or they’ve just taken over abandoned land,” Joonmyun replied getting into his seat behind the wheel. “Long time drug dealers usually have a lot of power and money. They must be upholding the place, turned it into a drug production business.”

A minute on the road Namjoo asked, “Where was he killed? This Kim Yongchan.”

“Lets find out,” Joonmyun said stepping harder on the accelerator as they zipped down the street.

An hour later the roads became thinner as they veered off the busy highway. A blank emptiness whistled around the car, the streets darker. No homes on either side of the road. Not even a house light twinkled from far away. They were closed off from public and there were no oncoming cars from either direction. They were as far out from the busy metropolitan as could be.

Noticing the lights ahead by a tall structure Joonmyun pulled the car over to the side of the road. Better to leave the car here than to let it make noise as they neared the gang. The business ground was fenced off. Beside the gate was a danger zone sign: Controlled Access Zone. Authorized Personnel Only.

Nearby the warehouse Joonmyun spotted a grill and some chairs. Beer bottles littered the ground. Men’s haughty voices drifted over with the breeze. They were unsuspecting. Joonmyun wondered if the pimp had contacted his master yet.

Walking forward, steps in sync they pulled their guns out. “I never imagined we’d have to do this again. Are you ready?”

“Been waiting to finally get somewhere,” Namjoo whispered.

“On a count of three,” he quietly began. “One.”

“Two,” she breathed.

“Three.”

Arms up they shot point blank into the sky as they approached the gang. The pimp hadn’t lied, which was shocking. Only three men were with the club operator. Joonmyun had yet to find out who he was out of the four.

“Long time no see,” Joonmyun greeted stopping in his tracks.

Jolting up from their seats, their calm laughter silencing and eyes on the pair one of them questioned, “Who are you?”

“I don’t think so,” Namjoo warned when the man on the far left began to reach into his jacket for his weapon. “You’re surrounded. We have snipers ready in the distance. One move and you’re down.”

They hadn’t planned on that lie, but Joonmyun could smoothly flow with it. Having an advantage would keep the men from directly assaulting them if there were eyes watching.

The shaggy haired man in the middle scoffed. “Who do you two think you are?”

“I’m disappointed,” Joonmyun began, “that you don’t remember.” Tracing his eyes over each of the men he said emitting danger he went on, “It’s us. We’re back for round two.”

That was when he caught the slight twitch of the eyebrow coming from the sleek man on the far right. Donned in jeans and a polo he didn’t look any more than 40 years old. Perhaps he was somewhere in his mid-thirties and reigning in the drug community.

Jo Chulsoo. A devil among his people, the pimp had added. Three had gone missing, unheard of and two shot in front of him. The pimp had survived because he was good at up to Devil Jo.

Jo Chulsoo’s expression turned inexpressive before releasing that manic laughter they’d heard that night. He was teasing them but Joonmyun refused to react.

“You’ve lost the game and I’m in no mood,” he spoke cheerily before his eyes turned deathly and he growled, “so get out of here.”

Remaining calm Joonmyun slightly laughed, “So you thought you killed us. You’re lame. Anyone as smart as you should have stayed behind to make sure neither of us came back to the surface. It’s your mistake. Now my mood’s kind of bad too.” Striding forward Joonmyun fearlessly grabbed Chulsoo by the collar of his shirt. “Kim Yongchan, who killed him?”

Chulsoo stared back menacingly into Joonmyun’s eyes. The longer Joonmyun stared the more insane this man appeared. It was creepy. Then he laughed manically. It was honestly the most annoying thing Joonmyun had ever heard.

“I killed him,” he Chulsoo quietly answered, his eyes provoking, “I had that desperate woman open up her legs for him and give him the drug by mouth. You should have seen it.” he cackled happily. “Have you ever watched ?”

Joonmyun’s fist shook, his wide eyes hardening. Unable to control himself he struck the drug lord’s jaw which forced him onto the ground. The heat of rage heightened, shot up to his head. His hands were uncontrollable. He heard Namjoo quickly stepping in to block him and warned the others not to make a move.

Grabbing Chulsoo’s shirt Joonmyun violently shook him, “Liar!”

The drug lord’s cracked lips bled, but he smiled and continued storytelling, “And when they both knocked out I killed him. I drove that knife into him. One, two, three, four,” his eyes rolled to the side for thought then continued, “they all helped until that greedy bastard was bloody dead. Oh, now I do wonder why you look familiar. I saw your picture when I went through her purse.” He croaked with a laugh, “Your ring too. Kim Joonmyun engraved right inside.”

Joonmyun’s lips trembled maddeningly. His grip tightened around the man’s shirt. Pulling Chulshoo toward him he threatened, “I’ll kill you.”

“You’re about to go down first. I see that the feds are all over looking for you,” Chulsoo said unashamedly enjoying himself. “Good luck, murderer.”

Joonmyun was about to knock him unconscious, but quickly ducked when gunshots flew overhead from somewhere in the darkness. In the blank of an eye Namjoo grabbed his arm and they made a run toward some old crates by the building. His blood rushed when he heard the gang running away and a car start up. He jolted up to follow, but Namjoo held him down. A second later something crashed through the fence, the noise creating havoc in the dead of the evening. A moment later they heard, “Joonmyun?”