Empty Home

Criminal Act - The Story

Joonmyun returned the absolute shock. His expression became grave before he pulled the young girl back. “Stay inside,” Joonmyun told. The door slapped shut when he stepped out.

“Joonmyun…you’re really here?” Namjoo gasped appalled.

“You shouldn’t have brought her.” Joonmyun quickly stated then shot Chorong his cautious glare. “Go back.”

“No,” Chorong refused, “you’re coming with me.”

Namjoo wheeled around to stare at her, eyes inching wide. “What are you doing?”

Eyes stern on her target Chorong grounded herself, “You’re coming with me. I’m taking you back to federal. You need to turn yourself in, Joonmyun.”

Joonmyun merely shook his head. “You need to leave.”

“What’s going on?” Namjoo demanded, eyes shooting back and forth between them.

“This is serious, Joonmyun!” Chorong couldn’t help but raise her voice to get the point across. “You didn’t kill just anyone. You killed a corporate head! Kim Yongchan!”

Both Joonmyun’s and Namjoo’s eyes grew wide, the fact like a strike to the head. Kim Yongchan was a big oil producer for South Korea. He had headed the development overseas before expanding his resources into other countries. His production was what businesses relied on for survival.

A momentary silence ensued. The national court would go hard on them if they ran further. No one would side with them. Chorong didn’t want to see it happen – Joonmyun and his life turning into shambles. That would be the end. He still had so much to vie for, but to become a criminal?

“That’s why you need to turn yourself in. They may listen to you.” Chorong tried.

“No,” Joonmyun refused. “I can’t go back. I have things I need to do.”

“What things are more important than clearing your own name?!” Chorong couldn’t understand him. This was his future they were talking about! “You can’t come back to the bureau if you don’t fix this. They may still be lenient with you. Don’t waste this chance.”

“Then I won’t go back,” Joonmyun was determined. “Go, Agent Park. I mean it.” Then he ordered, “Namjoo, go in.”

She hesitated and shot her eyes back to Chorong before going into the house. Joonmyun’s gaze locked with her for several seconds before he wheeled around and headed inside as well. Just what were they going to do now?!

Relentless thoughts scrambled through her head before her phone rang. She grunted when she glanced down at her phone. Work was calling for her.

∞∞∞∞∞

When Namjoo wheeled around a blank canvass erupted across her mind. Stunned to find the girl staring up at her she didn’t know what to say. The last she had expected was for a young child to be in Joonmyun’s company. She knew he was a father, but to get attached at a time like this?

“Hi,” Dahee greeted innocently. “My name is Dahee. What is yours?”

Namjoo turned when the door opened and Joonmyun stepped inside. “Dahee, can you go into your room for a moment? I need to speak to my friend about something very important.”

Nodding happily she disappeared into a small room, hers perhaps. When his attention latched on her again Namjoo frowned. “Suho? You serious?”

“Is that important?” Joonmyun asked. Opening the door a crack he peered outside to verify that Chorong was gone. “How did you get here?”

“Came with her,” Namjoo replied. “Said something was happening down here in that barn and that it would be worth checking it out. She was confident it was you.” Eyeing him she crossed her arms, “You two know each other?”

“No,” Joonmyun turned away after closing the door. “Where’ve you been? I knew you’d make it.”

“Long story short, I lost my memory,” Namjoo told. “I thought you were dead.”

“How dramatic,” he commented.

“Speaking about dramatic, I saw your hideout.”

He scoffed with a laugh, “Yea? Did you see my toys?”

“Shame on you for scaring kids,” Namjoo shook her head. Then she glanced around the shabby home, “What are you doing here anyway?”

“It’s a quiet place. Good hideout, good people, free food,” Joonmyun shrugged. Noticing the strange stare from her he asked, “What?”

“It’s just what Chorong said,” Namjoo eyed him again. “You really don’t know her?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Joonmyun looked away. “Now that you’ve busted my hideout, we can’t stay here.”

A vague silence fell around them. There was still a lot to go over. Things from a year ago and the things he still had yet to do, their unfinished business and the gang that had tried killing them. They had so much to pick up.

“Where to?” she asked.

“I need to go to Seoul.” Joonmyun said. “I want to see my son.”

∞∞∞∞∞

“What’s the emergency?” Chorong asked out of breath as she hurried down the hallway. She’d come straight from the airport without taking a break. Currently today was going to be a very long one.

“Someone wants to talk to you,” their liaison explained, “that’s the emergency.”

“About what?” Chorong frowned. She hadn’t committed any misdemeanors but flown to Haenam for a personal schedule. What could she have been reported for?

“I’m not sure,” liaison shook her pretty head. “He’s waiting in the conference room. Looks like serious business. He’s from the FBI.”

Wishing her luck the pretty head disappeared down the hall. Curious about who her visitor was and what he wanted with her Chorong started toward the conference room. It was all but empty today. Her visitor was seated at the head of the table appearing edgy and impatient. The handsome man got to his feet the moment she opened the door.

“Agent Park?” he asked then extended his hand. “Oh Sehun.”

Shaking it formally Chorong sat down, “What can I do for you?”

“I was told you were returning from a trip down south,” he said matter-of-factly with a shake of the head. “Can I ask what you were doing there?”

“What is this about?” Chorong questioned, her defenses slowly building up. She could feel the tension swimming in the air.

Calming the mood with a genuine smile he entwined his fingers together than asked with a height of authority, “Is she down south?”

Chorong’s brows stiffened, her eyes firm. “I was on a trip, but it was for a personal matter.”

“I would like it if you answer me honestly, Agent,” he cautiously advised, “I know Kim Namjoo last spoke with you. Now what did you two talk about and where is she?”

Whatever she said now would not matter, because Joonmyun and Namjoo had, again, teamed up. Her only hope of helping Joonmyun escape this crisis was if she could find them again. By now, she knew, they would have left Haenam. Where they would go and what things Joonmyun still wanted to do she knew nothing of. If she had to trace them to help Joonmyun turn himself in Oh Sehun would be her safest bet.

“That’s right,” Chorong said, “Namjoo went to Haenam with me.”

She watched his eyes transition into a narrow glare. “Did she tell you what she was going to do, where she’s going next?”

“No,” Chorong replied.

“You helped her. She’s a wanted criminal, that’s as good as getting yourself a transfer right out of here,” he scolded.

“I thought she was dead,” Chorong honestly said but her voice was clear of emotions, “when she called, I had to go see her.”

“You took her to Haenam,” he restated through gritted teeth. “Thanks to your foolishness we have a criminal back on the road and on the run!”

Chorong stared at him without backing down. Holding up her calm façade she did what was expected. She apologized, “I’m sorry.”

Scooting his chair back angrily he stood up and yanked a phone from his pocket as he walked out. Chorong stared at the open doorway and firmly pressed her lips together. She had to tail him. Dashing toward her desk she pressed phone to her ear, “I need you to get everything you can on FBI Agent Oh Sehun and report to me every time he hits the road.”

∞∞∞∞∞

Haenam?! He couldn’t believe this. All the way down in Haenam and in one day! How would he trace her now? Their entire corp would be after her; all the feds, the cops, and the media would be hounding her down. Just what was she thinking?

But since when, Sehun wondered, had she remembered everything? Had she long prepared for this while pretending she was still amnesic? If he could wheel her in fast enough his Chief would send a team after her. What could Namjoo alone do?

Right now she was again, an accomplice to a murderer.

“Get some guys down in Haenam,” he ordered into his phone, “have all the cops of Jeolla-do province on the lookout for her. Have them spread throughout all transits and the airport. She’ll definitely try to fly out or get a train ticket. I’ll send you a picture of how she recently looks. Send them her pictures, so they know what she looks like. We better catch her before the day ends.”

Snapping his phone shut he drove toward his federal office where Hana helped upload a picture of Namjoo from his phone into the computer.

“Doesn’t quite look like a criminal, huh?” she commented staring at the screen with arms crossed. “Does it feel different now that she’s no longer a housewife, but a wanted criminal?”

Sehun shot her a glare, “Your jokes aren’t funny.”

“Do you have to get so angry?” she asked and tapped a button on the keyboard that made Namjoo’s picture disappear off the screen.

∞∞∞∞∞

“Do you have to go?” Dahee sadly asked.

Smiling to comfort her Joonmyun promised, “It doesn’t mean I’ll be gone forever. Just…uncle has a lot of business to take care. After I finish I’ll come back to visit you. I promise.”

With a pout Dahee reluctantly nodded before Joonmyun urged her into a hug and rubbed her back. “Be strong, Dahee. I will come back.”

They left that late afternoon.

“You look quite attached,” Namjoo commented. They’d gotten a lift from on one of the friendly farmer’s truck and were about to head into the city. It would be nightfall by the time they reached Seoul and from there they would pick up their last fight with the club operator.

“I do feel sad for leaving her behind,” Joonmyun let his eyes rover over the hilly scenery. Such a beautiful countryside. One year had passed by too fast and already he was leaving. He was going to miss it. Attention back on her he wondered, “What’s this whole year been like for you, other than losing your memory?”

“A ton of nonsense,” Namjoo muttered. “I don’t even want to talk about it.”

He raised his brow but let her off. They rode silently until the truck stopped at the bus station. Wishing them well the farmer drove away and Namjoo followed him. She quickly tugged him aside and behind a pole whispering, “The police.”

Glancing toward the vehicles he spotted uniformed men wandering back and forth. A lot of passengers were here to get on board. They could easily blend in, but the police were on the hunt. They’d be checking each and every passenger and there weren’t just several of them but a group. Six maybe. “What are they doing here?”

Chorong, he thought. She’d tattled them out and the cops were here for them.

Damn her.

“Great, what do we do now?” Namjoo muttered.

“Do you think we can blend in with them?” Joonmyun wondered.

“Nah,” Namjoo shook her head. “I got this.” Shoving her duffel bag against him she said, “Hold this.” ping the bag she pulled out an eyebrow pencil and drew a large dot on her face before getting him to help her fill in her eyebrows thickly. Then walking off into the opposite direction she began screaming frantically from the top of her lungs as if a snake had crawled up her legs.

“Thief! Oh my god, a thief!” Namjoo shrieked. “Over there! Hurry! He stole my mama’s purse! Help me!”

Joonmyun watched the cops turn their attention before hurrying toward her. Quickly pointing something out to them he watched the cops split up in one direction and another. Dashing toward him she whispered hastily, “Bus, now!”

The line to get into the three buses was about fifty people each. Joonmyun waited for the boarders to hurry in while his heart raced inside his chest. His eyes simultaneously darted toward the bus door and to the yard where the police had disappeared. If they came back and spotted them now it was game over.

Chatter noisily buzzed around them as Namjoo wrestled to rub the makeup off her face with her sleeve. By the time they got into the bus the police dashed back to the bus station looking bewildered and confused.

“You look like a freak,” Joonmyun commented when he saw the smear on Namjoo’s face.

“Shut up,” she murmured.

The two runaways napped during the long ride and swapped buses several times before finally reaching the streets of Seoul. It was quiet now. Many people were getting ready for bed after a sumptuous dinner. Lights were turning out and night shift workers were starting to come in for their duties.

Finally home, Joonmyun breathed. A year had been too long. He missed his son. Was he healthier now?

“Do you have some money on you?” he asked. “I need to call Aejung.”

Visiting hours were over at the hospital. He couldn’t go now unless there was an emergency. Hopefully, he prayed, Hyunsu was home with his mother living the life he was meant for. They wandered around until they found a phone booth. Depositing the coins Joonmyun dialed Aejung’s number, hoping that she hadn’t changed it over the year. Then he listened to the dial tone echo in his ear hauntingly.

“Hello?” a glassy voice answered. An unexpected silence preceded him. He suddenly didn’t know what to say. Was it right to contact them again? Or would he put them in danger?

“Hello,” she called again.

Joonmyun’s lips trembled before he finally said, “It’s me.”

A gasp from the other line made him grasp onto the phone tightly. He’d missed his family. It suddenly felt like he’d been gone too long.

“I’ll come to you,” he quickly uttered, “stay where you are.” Hanging up he stepped out of the booth, “I have to go see Aejung.”

Quietly nodding her understanding they grabbed a cab. Minutes later they arrived on Aejung’s doorstep – a pretty duplex although nothing seemed lively about it. Under the sleeping sky it appeared as plain as any other common household. The door opened immediately when the cab left. A shrunken bony faced Aejung stared back at him, her eyes deep gaping holes. She’d lost so much weight he barely recognized her. The once shiny hair she put much effort into maintaining was now dry and lifeless.

A lightweight punch hit his chest. Then came another one and another one. “Where have you been,” she quietly cried, head hung low. Louder this time, “Where’ve you been?!”

Joonmyun momentarily blanked while standing there in the threshold. Grief resonated from this depressed woman he didn’t think he knew. Something felt absurdly wrong but he didn’t want to think of the worst. He needed to know there was some hope before the dark fell.

Grabbing the fragile woman’s shoulders to get her to look up he asked, “Hyunsu…where is he?”

Her thin pale lips twisted into a firm line and gritting her teeth together she just shook her head despairingly. A sorrowful sob bellowed from her. Glancing back to realize that they were still outside he pushed his ex-wife into the house and listened to Namjoo close the door behind them.

Gripping Aejung’s shoulders firmly he asked again, “Where’s Hyunsu, Aejung? Is he still in the hospital?”

Another shake of the head. “He…he’s not here anymore, Joonmyun.”

Hands dropped from her shoulders. Something painstakingly sharp flashed through his body. His entire whole became numb. The whole world turned blank. Falling onto his knees he gripped the floor and felt his hands turn into fists. Tears splashed onto his knuckles as he wept for the son he hadn’t been here for.

Kim Hyunsu was diagnosed with leukemia at the young age of seven. He had been exempted from school and forced to spend the rest of his life in the hospital receiving chemotherapy and treatment. There was a short time when the treatment worked and the leukemia lost. Hyunsu got to come home. Joonmyun would never forget the bright grin on his son’s face as they spent the day playing games and eating all the food he had craved while on the hospital bed. Then a month later Hyunsu experienced a relapse, but they didn’t have enough money to cover the treatment. Joonmyun had been forced to extend his work hours, barely having any time to go visit his little man. And then the feds came for him.

His heart broke.

As a father he hadn’t been there for his son’s last moments. Hyunsu had been so scared of going alone. He hadn’t done anything worthy for his son. Just what kind of a father was he?

Joonmyun wept the entire night clutching onto the clothes his son wore for his last birthday party as a healthy boy. Time hadn’t been enough for them.