✖「 Chapter One 」

✖「 Young Avengers 」 New Heroes Emerge

chapter one 」siygn


 tumblr_nysenuIikr1u4kolmo1_250.gif
"Really ... Not thinking about The Young Avengers." 

Sigyn Thordotter rubs the remaining remnants of sleep out of her eyes and sighs loudly. Her back is hunched over the coffee maker. Her dainty fingers move at a sluggish pace as they slide over the machine’s menu and her options. She squints at the brightness of the screen and blinks before pressing her usually into the machine. A large, black, Colombian express, coffee. It’s not her first pick but she’s not by her favorite coffee shop to order her usual Vanilla Latte so she’ll settle for this coffee. Usually, she is a morning person but work has been a little busier than usual. However, Sigyn uses this extra time she has before going to work to prepare to see her dad. She moves past the kitchen counter and places two plastic kitchen mats down. She hadn’t seen her father ever since she had heard they were rebuilding Asgard.

The aroma of coffee starts to fill the room as Sigyn moves from the table and grabs two boxes of pop tarts. The sugary breakfast snack is one of Thor’s favorites and one that Sigyn can appreciate. It’s not her favorite sweet snack but it does the trick every once in and while. As a tradition, Sigyn and her father eat them when he comes to visit her. She places them in the middle of the table and walks into her bedroom to change clothes.

Sigyn pulls the right sleeve up her elbow as she hears the front door open. She hears her father’s voice before she sees him. Something she is quite familiar with. The twenty three year-old rounds the corner to greet her father. A huge smile appears on Sigyn as she is engulfed in her father’s arm.

“Daughter!” Thor says as he spins her around.

Sigyn laughs and watches her vision blur for a few seconds before she is set down. She hasn’t been spun like that ever since she was a child. She shakes her head thinking of how her father still somewhat treats her as a little girl instead of an adult. Or, why does she still allow it? Maybe … admittedly to her, she missed him.

            “Really, Father.” Sigyn laughs walking into the kitchen. She slides into one of the chairs and watches as her father takes the seat opposite of her.

Thor's eyes light up as he spots the square sweets in the middle of the table, stacked in a neat pile on a plate. He swipes three of the top of the pile and begins eating them. Both father and daughter fall into a pleasant pace of conversation as they ask about each other’s time spent away.

Sigyn bites her lip as the conversation lapsed into a comfortable silence, they’ve been talking for a while now. Sigyn places her elbows on the table, resting her chin in her right hand. Her left-hand plays with the rim of her mug, contemplating whether to tell her father about her new project at work.

“Sigyn, what’s got you so silent.” Thor stares at his daughter “What troubles you?”

             She in a breath, “I’ve been studying a new way to travel. With Heimdall’s permission, I took a chipped piece of the Bifrost bridge and started studying it. I've been studying it and have been coming up with plans to use it to make a device where one can go anywhere as long as they think of it. ” She explains.

She watches his expression as she explains more about her new project. Sigyn wants to know what her father really thinks about the whole thing. Especially since using something so special to Asgard. She was waiting for an answer that disapproves but instead, Thor seems to actually consider her idea, sitting quietly in her kitchen chair eating the remaining piece of the pop tart.

Thor's blonde eyebrows crease before they smooth out. He stares at her before a wide grin breaks out. The grin makes his eyes crinkle. “I am most looking forward to seeing your project grow.”

Sigyn smiles hearing her father’s enthusiasm for her.

            “But, be careful with what you have, Asgardian technology is different from here on earth and with it will come greedy people who are looking to take advantage of it.”

Sigyn scoffs, “ I know Father, I am aware of it. Perhaps it would be best to keep it between Us and Stark.”

Her father nods his head and swipes another pop tart off the table. “Now would you like to hear about my adventures on other planets?”

Sigyn nods her head as her father grins.

Sigyn leans back in her chair as she listens to her father explain the difference between the alien species he came across while traveling with the Guardians of the Galaxy. An unruly bunch that explored the galaxy. She smiles as she listens to her father discuss the one-time StarLord had gotten trapped by a walking and talking plant. It’s a fun story and one that Sigyn somewhat wonders if she could ever be a part of a team like that. Or, even being a part of a group like The Avengers. So many personalities and different beliefs. She shakes her head and refocuses on Thor talking. She catches the end of her father’s sentence.

“The Young Avengers.”

Sigyn raises her eyebrow “Pardon me.”

            “I must have whispered, “ Thor teased “I mentioned that a meeting will be held at the end of the week.”

Sigyn laughed at her father’s words “Father, you must have whispered because I thought you said something ridiculous.”

              “I was not telling a joke.” Thor spoke, staring at his daughter “The Avengers and I have spoken and we have decided to ask our kids to carry on our team.”

  “I do not think that is quite responsible.” Sigyn said  

She wasn’t against it but she didn’t think it was quite possible. There were too many factors that she felt played into it, like, did they really have the abilities to save the world. And, even if they did, what did they know about other life forms on other planets. Those life forms were just as dangerous as other opposing forces on Earth. 

  “Trust me, Sigyn. Come to the meeting at the end of the week and make your point.”

Sigyn ran her tongue along the top row of her teeth. “Who is to say that this will work.”

   “We will not force your hand to join this group, Sigyn.” Thor laughed

Brushing the remaining pop-tart crumbs out of his beard, Thor abruptly stood up.

   “I must be going. I have to return to Asgard. I have been gone too long while leaving your brother in charge, with your uncle as his advisor.” 

Sigyn also stood up and followed her father out of the door. They made their way onto the top of the roof where Thor waved his hand and his hammer appeared. The gust of wind that came with it, whipped the blonde strands of Sigyn's hair into her face. She pushed them back to glare at her father. 

                “Father, I do not think it is a good reason to fly out into the open like this.” Sigyn states covering her eyes from the bright sunlight watching her father rise into the sky.

Thor laughed and turned back around “I am fine.”

Sigyn sighs rolling her eyes. “That is not what I meant.”

     “I know, but don’t fret. Everyon- ”

     “You should not go flying from the roof when others can see you,” Sigyn spoke. Her eyebrows pinched and she clenched her jaw. She watched her father steady himself and shake his head.

      “No one will see me, I will be fine. Have a good day at work.”

Sigyn blows out a tired breath and calls out “ Well give Val and Kai my love!”

Sigyn watches her father lift further and further into the air until he is just a spec in the sky. She looks around the apartment’s roof making sure none of her neighbors are on the roof and starts heading back down. She checks her wristwatch and realizes she’s got thirty minutes before she needs to head off to Starks Industries to work.

author's note

 

Hi there and welcome to the first chapter of Young Avengers. It’s been a while. I’m sorry I’ve been away for a while. I know I have said this before, thank you to whoever is still with this story. That really does mean a lot to me. So, welcome to the first chapter of Young Avengers. I will be adding more characters in Chapter Two, so don't worry. The ball will be rolling. I’m sorry if this feels long or is bad. I really am rusty in writing. While writing this chapter I wanted to show how Siygn goes about her day and kindly bring a sense of normalcy to the story. I am also aware that yes, Sigyn is reckless but she is also curious and I will show that in later chapters but here, I thought, that Sigyn is having an honest conversation with her father which I think she would be 100% honest with. Sonny (Soonyangel) I hope I did your character well.

So I will see you in a few. I hope you guys are staying well and healthy. Have a great weekend everyone!