010.

The Apple Tree's Promise

 

“Did you hear that?” Seohyun’s head snapped up, looking alarmed.

Kyuhyun took three steps away from her for good measures. “Yeah, a camera phone, it sounds like a BlackBerry camera,” he commented.

Seohyun’s eyes widened, her head tilted, trying to recall something. After a while, she smiled. “Hyoyeon unnie! Come out,” she called.

A slender figure slipped out of the moon-cast shadow.

“You’re too smart,” the blonde narrowed her eyes at the two of them, her hand grasping a BlackBerry. “Sorry, unnie,” Seohyun laughed shyly, pulling the older by her hand. “This is Kyuhyun-sunbaenim.”

“Yah,” Kyuhyun poked her side. “It’s Oppa for you.”

Seohyun rolled her eyes, “This is Kyuhyun-oppa-sunbaenim and this is Hyoyeon unnie~”

“Yeah, we met earlier.” Kyuhyun smiled, acknowledging Hyoyeon, his eyes quietly saying Thank You.

“You did?” Seohyun gaped. “Unnie, you did? How? Why? Where?”

“When you were extremely mad at me, back at the Underground,” Kyuhyun said. “She’s still mad at you?” Hyoyeon interrupted with laughing eyes.

“Now she’s just a little mad at me,” Kyuhyun grinned smugly. “She can’t ignore my charming self.” Seohyun clucked her tongue.

“Unnie, it’s late, your parents would be worried.” Seohyun then turned to Hyoyeon, speaking maturely again.

Hyoyeon peeked at her phone screen, her brows furrowed. “We should be heading home, that’s right, well; we’ll meet some other time at the company then, Kyuhyun sunbaenim! Bye!”

“W-wait,” Kyuhyun fumbled for Hyoyeon’s arm, dragging her aside.

“Where are you taking her?” Seohyun asked, surprised.

Kyuhyun’s head rose from conversation with Hyoyeon. “Jagiya [honey], we’ll just be a sec,” he said in a sweet nasal voice. Seohyun chucked a small pebble at the small of his back.

“Nobody is your jagiya.”

 

“You guys are so cute,” Hyoyeon squealed once her friend had turned her back around, waiting on the sidewalk. “I know, I know,” Kyuhyun pretended to flip his hair. “Does the BlackBerry camera have good quality? Maybe you could print out the photo you took of me and Seohyun?”

“How did you know I took a photo?” Hyoyeon’s eyes widened. “Wait, what?” Kyuhyun looked confused.

“Why are you taking so long?” Seohyun called. “Seohyun, come here,” Hyoyeon called with a frown on her face. Seohyun immediately jumped up and rushed over to them.

“Waeyo? What happened?”

“I took a photo with my BlackBerry, but it was on mute, and Kyuhyun sunbaenim said you heard a click?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Yeah, we both heard a click, and Kyuhyun sunbaenim said it sounded like a BlackBerry camera phone, so I thought it was you…” Seohyun trailed off.

“It wasn’t, see, look,” Hyoyeon took out her phone and took a photo of the sidewalk, making no sound at all.

Seohyun and Kyuhyun gaped at her in surprise and horror.

“Then who took a photo?”

The question hung in the air, sending vibrations of a deadly aura.

Cause I can’t stop thinkin’ bout you girl~

“Sorry, excuse me,” Kyuhyun reached for his phone, scrambling to the corner.

“Kyuhyun, where are you?” the manager asked, calmly, to Kyuhyun’s surprise.

“O-out?” he mumbled nervously, playing with a strand on the side of his shirt.

“Are you downtown?” The manager asked, suspicious. “Why is the traffic so loud?”

“Yeah, I’m downtown, near Hongdae,” Kyuhyun replied. “You do know that you have a practice tomorrow?” the manager asked and Kyuhyun nodded, then realized that the manager couldn’t see him.

“Yes, I’ll be home in a while.” Kyuhyun replied.

“That’s a relief. Just come home before 2 am, so you’ll get enough sleep.” The manager hung up and Kyuhyun stared at his phone in disbelief.

“What happened?” Hyoyeon called from a few steps away, walking closer.

“My manager is being really nice all of a sudden, it seems suspicious.”

“How?”

“He let me go home after midnight, and he never let anyone do it, not even Leeteuk hyung, and he’s the leader.” Kyuhyun said, paranoid.

Kyuhyun felt his fingers vibrate and looked down at his phone, a shining outburst in the middle of the dark.

“Who is it? What did they say?” Seohyun trembled, because of fear, because of the cold, or both.

“An unknown number, and they didn’t say anything just sent me a photo attachments”

“Photo attachment? You don’t mean…?” Seohyun’s face paled, her fingernails leaving marks on the side of her wrist.

Kyuhyun sighed and turned his phone around. “See for yourself,” he said gravely. The phone displayed a photo that was similar to Hyoyeon’s photo, but it was taken from a different angle.

“There’s another one,” Hyoyeon said, reaching forward to scroll down to the second photo attachment. Kyuhyun quickly turned his phone around and pressed the second photo attachment.

“An apple tree? What?” Hyoyeon said, confused. “How is it relevant?”

Kyuhyun and Seohyun shared a deep look.

“We have to go somewhere, Hyoyeon unnie, could you tell auntie and uncle I’ll be home later?” Seohyun asked worriedly, her hands encircled around Hyoyeon’s wrist pleadingly.

“Of course, just be safe, okay?” Hyoyeon gave Seohyun a huge promising hug and watched as Seohyun and Kyuhyun board a lone nighttime bus.

The blonde took out her phone, illuminating her beautiful hair and features, and pressed a speed dial.

“They’ve left,” she said, smirking into the phone.

“Great. We’ll be waiting.”

~~

“Here, the apple tree,” Kyuhyun whispered, taking out his phone and comparing the photo to the actual tree, as Seohyun shone around her with a flashlight application on her phone.

“They’re identical. The same tree, the same bark, if you look at it from this location,” Seohyun commented.

An icy breeze blew across the forest, leaves rumbled, making Seohyun even jumpier.

A branch crunched and Seohyun dropped her phone in shock. She crawled down to get her phone, but the battery drained at the exact moment. Her hands fumbled, and she heard Kyuhyun yell.

“Are you okay? Here, I’ll use my phone.” He pulled out his phone and in relief, Seohyun grabbed her phone and put it into her pocket.

“What’s that?” Kyuhyun walked curiously towards a spot of white near the tree root. He bent down and pulled out a simple piece of line paper with a line of bolded writing on it.

Seohyun peeked over his shoulder and they whispered in unison, reading from the paper,

Don’t fool around. We’ll be watching.

Seohyun could’ve sworn she heard a faint chuckle from behind them before her head spun out of control and she collapsed onto the soft soil.

 

---

oooh, scary, scary *wiggles eyebrows shamelessly*

@jinnie: you're a smart one <3 haha i want a date like that too, especially if it's with Kyuhyun xD

@Randomnezz: thank you for reading! wait for the drama to begin ;D