009.

The Apple Tree's Promise

 

“H-hyung do we have schedules tonight?” Kyuhyun gasped into his phone.

“What? No, we don’t.” His manager replied.

“Okay, thanks! Bye!”

The last thing Kyuhyun heard was his manager warning him to not do anything stupid.

“Yah!” as always informal, he shouted after her but she didn’t hear. If she did, she made no move to show that she heard.

He jumped into a taxi. “Ahjuhssi, please follow that taxi right there,” he panted and pointed hastily to a taxi just taking off before them.

The driver shot him a strange look but nevertheless restarted the ignition and kept his eyes on the Pikachu-yellow car in front of them.

Kyuhyun, however, didn’t have interest in the car in front of them because he knew he couldn’t let Seohyun see him. He peeked out the fogged window and used a few fingers to wipe away the frost.

They were getting further and further into downtown Seoul, and he had a sinking feeling where they were heading to. He sighed. Just this time yesterday he was crying in his room like a stereotypical big baby, and soon-just about now- Leeteuk had walked in, suggesting him to go practice.

And then today, when he had listened to Leeteuk’s advice, he ended up in a taxi. Chasing another taxi. That is driving two girls whom he barely knew.

They went further and further into the evening, and the lights got brighter and brighter.

More people crowded the streets, but they barely squeezed by the other cars, successfully on their tail.

“They’ve stopped,” the driver said. “That will also be 30,000 won.”

“Thank you,” Kyuhyun said breathily as he practically threw the bills in the driver’s seat and quickly exited the taxi, shoving past a few pedestrians and catching sight of Seohyun’s silky jet black hair in the moonlight.

His sharp eyes caught the neon sign flashing to the population of downtown Seoul.

‘Underground’ is about the biggest club in the most crowded area of urban Seoul. It is the target of many policemen, a chance to have their salaries raised for arresting a few underaged teenagers taking drugs or drinking alcohol.

His heart stopped beating as the two girls linked their arms and entered the club.

“I thought she was underage,” he muttered and advanced towards the bouncer.

“Unless…her friend…” he groaned. Just exactly how he muggled Seohyun into the club last time. He knew that Underground would do anything to hire underage teenagers for a lower rate, but they always look over to make sure the people they hire are always mature.

“Get back in line, dammit,” a tall muscular male growled, pushing Kyuhyun’s skinny body back forcefully. Kyuhyun looked desperately as Seohyun disappeared from his sight range.

“My…girlfriend is in there, I need to find her.” He squeezed out an excuse.

“So are all our ‘girlfriends’,” the male looked annoyed, adding air quotation marks around girlfriend.

So he doesn’t believe me, Kyuhyun thought bitterly. I guess I’ll have to use this little power society holds…

He strode up to the bouncer and flashed his ‘celebrity’ card. He had only used it once when they went to celebrate for their first win.

The bouncer’s eyes didn’t even blink and he just waved Kyuhyun in upon seeing the shiny pass.

Kyuhyun looked back, passing a snide smirk to the guy and saw his wide eyes before he was engulfed by a sea of sweaty dancers.

In just a short moment Seohyun and her friend had already changed into the designated outfits for Underground- a strapless white top and black mini-skirt with heels. Kyuhyun tried to search for them but he felt dizzy-everywhere he looked he saw the same girls with same black hair sporting eyeliner and colored lips, walking around in black and white.

Nowhere could he spot Seohyun and her old, goody-two-shoes fashion.

His eyes trailing around looking at the shoes to differ Seohyun, but he soon clumsily scrambled into a girl. He looked up expecting to see a mad angry bi*ch face, but looked up into warm kind eyes that when smiling, was in the shape of protractors.

“Ah! You’re Kyuhyun! Seo and I just saw you at SM,” she said.

“Y-yeah…” he mumbled awkwardly, a hand rubbing the back of his neck.

“Don’t be shy,” she smiled widely. Then she mysteriously leaned into Kyuhyun and whispered, “I don’t know why Seohyun is so oblivious but you clearly have a crush on her,” she leaned back, smiling smugly.

Kyuhyun wasn’t able to say anything before she laughed. “Because she’s underage,” she whispered in a low voice, “she gets off work early. You clearly dislike Underground and all clubbing scenes. Seohyun finishes at eleven. Come back then.” Kyuhyun didn’t know whether or not he should feel relieved that this girl understands. She gets him.

~~~~~~~~~

Kyuhyun sat at the window seat, sipping his smoothie and reading the newspaper that was supposed to be 5000 won but he bargained and got for 4000 won. He had read and reread the entertainment section hundreds of times, each time feeling proud that Super Junior was in the Hot section.

“Sorry to disturb you, but we’re closing now....” a waitress tapped him on the shoulder as he was on his 43rd time reading the Entertainment / Hot section (yes, he counted because he really has no life).

“Oh, of course. Thank you.” He turned around and bowed.

“Omo,” the girl clasped her hands to . “Omo. A-aren’t y-you…?” her finger dropped on the picture of Super Junior on the opened newspaper page.

“Yeah,” Kyuhyun mumbled, embarrassed and proud at the same time.

“C-can I have an autograph? Here, sign this,” the waitress hurriedly pulled out her memopad for customer orders and a pen.

Kyuhyun swiped the pen across the page, leaving his messy but identifiable name behind. As he walked to the door, he turned around and asked, “Do you have the time?”

“10:50 sharp,” she said, smiling and looking down at his autograph. His heart pounded furiously. Ten minutes was perhaps enough for him to run three blocks, even with nighttime city traffic.

Kyuhyun hoped she had heard his Thank You before the wind carried him down the street in inhumane speed…

Before he crashed into the one he (thinks he) loves the most.

 

“Owh,” Seohyun grunted as she swayed harshly from the forceful impact. “Seohyun? Seohyun! I’m sorry! Are you alright? Do you need some ice or something? We could get some from a café nearby or something…” Kyuhyun’s voice trailed off.

“I’m quite fine,” Seohyun managed to say, as classy as possible, as she drew her lower arm from his grasp. Kyuhyun looked down awkwardly at his hands.

“Sorry, “he said again.

“For that and for what else?” Seohyun couldn’t be mean; a small smile crawled across her lips.

Kyuhyun sighed with relief.

“For breaking the promise of the apple tree so fast. For calling you something you’re not. For eavesdropping on you and your friend’s conversation. For bumping into you, for-“

“Being yourself?” Seohyun laughed, putting her warm hand on Kyuhyun’s lower arm. “You’re not mad?” Kyuhyun asked, shocked.

“Who said I’m not mad? I’m just not as mad. But hey, everyone makes mistakes, right? Don’t think too much.” Seohyun smiled wider this time to convince Kyuhyun she truly means it.

“Are you sure?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Yep.”

“Are you sure that you’re sure?”

Seohyun rolled her eyes.

“Are you sure that you’re sure that you’re sure?”

Seohyun nudged Kyuhyun impatiently, chuckling.

“Are you sure that you’re sure that you’re sure that you’re sure?” Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around her in a deep hug, shaking her.

“N-no,” Seohyun choked out.

He immediately let go. “What? Why are you not sure? But we’re friends again, right? You’re sure, right?”

“We’re not friends because you cut off my air supply for a minute,” Seohyun smiled shyly.

“You’re cooler than all my video games,” Kyuhyun said solemnly.

Seohyun’s eyes widened. “Really?”

“No,” Kyuhyun jeered and The wun sighed warmly.

“Since I’m not cool, I guess I’ll have to redeem these ice cream coupons by myself.

Kyuhyun’s mouth dropped. “Fine, youarecoolerthanStarcraft. Now can I have the ice cream coupons? Please?”

Seohyun pulled out the ice cream tickets put kept them in her hand. “You do know that ice cream is bad for you right? There are a lot of sugar and calories in one cone, especially waffle cones because they’re fried in oil before coated with all those chocolate and sprinkles on top, and also baked- WOAH WAIT WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”

Kyuhyun used his arms to support her legs as he carried her bridal style to the ice cream parlor.

 

The inside of the parlor was painted in white and pale pink tiles, vine plants winding themselves around the wall as customers enjoyed their snacks at hot pink tables and magenta purple booths.

“Welcome to the Marble Creamery, what would you like tonight?” a chirpy girl said behind the counter.

“Two scoops of cookie dough in a waffle cone, please,” Kyuhyun said politely, raising an eyebrow at Seohyun, daring her to judge his order.

“And what would you like, a plain waffle cone, a-”

“Waffle cone dipped in chocolate and sprinkles,” Kyuhyun smirked and Seohyun scoffed.

“Way to get yourself fat, your manager would love that.” To the girl she said, “Plain vanilla in a cup, thank you,” she smiled.

“Add a scoop of white chocolate to that,” Kyuhyun added, handed over the coupon and paid the money.

 

“Why did you do that?” Seohyun groaned at her ‘fat’ cup of ice cream.

“Oh, come on, the coupon said it’s only useable for two scoops a person and since you only had one, I helped you and me!” Kyuhyun grinned.

Seohyun tsked but ate her ice cream with her spoon anyways.

“The world we live in, ah, jinjja, ice cream parlors are opened past midnight when bookstores aren’t,” Seohyun shook her head sadly, looking disapprovingly at Kyuhyun.
”What did I do?” he asked innocently.

“You’re one of the reasons ice cream parlors open up so late. Consumers’ actions lead to the decisions business makers-“

“Not again; here, try this,” Kyuhyun said quickly and stuffed his ice cream cone into Seohyun’s open mouth.

“fjkadlf;jalfkj,” she grumbled with cookie dough ice cream in , trying to speak through it.

“What?”

“I don’t like you,” Seohyun complained, wiping with a tissue.

“You missed a spot,” Kyuhyun pointed to her upper lip. “Here.”

He leaned close and used his thumb to wipe it off. Before she could react, he pecked her on the cheek slightly.

“I love you too,” he smirked.

 

A camera phone captured the moment exactly.

 

-------

guess what?i'll be removing the 'semi hiatus' from the title because i'm gonna be back to work since school is starting.

sorry for not updating as frequent and but i'd understand if you unsubscribe because im a slow poke

anyways i hope you enjoy this chapter and the seokyu interactions ! i couldnt make seohyun stay mad too long. xD

(main image cr. http://japanwithlove.tumblr.com) oh and i really like having friends so if you want , follow my twitter @emirinator :D