001.

The Apple Tree's Promise

 

A black shadow stumbled its way over the small hill and into the woods where the apple tree awaits.

 

The secluded moonlight shining over them was dimmed, displaying no trace of existence.

A hand reached out to trace over the tree’s bumpy surface, allowing it to rise and fall on the patterns of the bark. The hand’s owner-the shadow- stepped further into the moon’s field of view, bathing in the pale light.

Any mortal able to see could tell that this was an extraordinary man. His face shone with defying delight, framed by snip waves of hair tumbling beside his forehead. His lips were pulled up in an involuntary smirk, his toned arms dangling almost lifelessly at his side.

“Dear apple tree,” he whispered as he leaned his back against the tree and put himself into a comfortable sitting position.

It was as if the apple tree heard his words, as the wind howled against his ears, their boisterous laughter ensuing in the dead silence.

“The hyungs are still bullying me, you know? I don’t know what I did wrong, maybe I should quit.” His insecurities were shadowed by his deceiving physique, and his heart fell as if it was sunken into deep abyss.

He sighed and his eyes traced over the tree in the dark, his pupils used to the horrible lighting of this scenario.

His eyelids fell over his eyes and he fell into a short slumber, still replaying the events of his day.

Cho Kyuhyun, we think you deserve a spot in the new subgroup KRY.

We think you deserve a spot in the new subgroup.

You deserve a spot in the new subgroup.

A spot in the new subgroup.

The new subgroup.

Subgroup.

 

A teardrop fell involuntarily, startling himself. “Aish,” he mumbled a string of curses beneath his shallow breath and his face fell into his cupped hands, roughly scratching his cheeks, his fingers catching each of his own pained tears.

Before he could let loose a long wail, the wind slashing in his ears stopped and it was replaced by sweet saccharine music. He looked up in shock.

From all his short trainee times spent he knew that this was a beyond-deserted forest. This area was far from suburban Seoul, where no big city kids come near here at all. The occasional intruders into this small area were dog-walkers and early runners.

He peered at the moon, and then his head snapped back to the music, which was now joined by a soft shy voice.

One word flashed across his mind: heaven.

And then he shook his head, laughing softly in disbelief.

“Chemistry Kyu? Math Kyu? More like Stupid Kyu.”

He lowered his head, weighed by his shame as the music suddenly stopped. Shaking his head, he convinced himself mentally that what happened a second ago was a hallucination. His ears playing tricks on him.

He almost fell into his own lie, he did. But then the music started again, this time a beautiful stream of tearful words accompanied by only the black and white keys of the piano.

Entranced, he stood up and the apple tree almost immediately straightened, supporting his every move.

 

He shuffled to the row of trees behind the apple tree, peering through a wild rose bush. His vision was half blocked; it was as if he was looking into a black hole. But at least he could hear clearer from the rose bush, although pricks kept attacking his thigh and bare arms, he ignored their scream for attention and continued trying to get closer.

Her voice, it was like a river. They sometimes rose to achieve higher octaves, and he felt his heart beat faster and faster, in an inhumane speed. Then when he almost felt his heart burst to the , her song softened. Note by note came out slowly, and he completely ignored her words. All he could hear was an angel chorusing with the pressing of piano keys.

As weirdly as the song began the song ended, he slumped helplessly, giving up on trying crossing over their border of bushes.

When he heard a small crash he jumped back in surprise and pounced to his hidden position beneath the apple tree, breathing heavily.

Crouching with his hands resting on his knees, he waited awhile before he was definite that the person on the other side didn’t sense his presence.

Allowing a breath of relief to escape through his lips, he swiftly shifted his feet to stiffly arrive at the border of rose bushes again.

Swallowing the urge to swear as the rose thorns attacked him, he managed to push aside a handful of leaves that pricked his fingers and finally a hole fit for one eye was created through the bush.

He caught a breath as she flew passed his viewing eye, a pearly white butterfly that just sprout its heavenly wings.

 

She froze as soon as the echo of the last note faded. The song had ended and she collapsed onto the crisp forest floor, panting heavily.

His eyes followed her as she picked up her iPod and cordless iPod dock and caught his breath.

Her hazel brown hair, gently crashing against her back as she carefully made her way towards him, still not acknowledging him but instead turning in a U shape to head for the giant apple tree.

He felt like smacking himself on the head. How could he have not realized a way to turn around the bushes? But he could not move because he knew once he did, everything for him will be doomed.

He knelt still in his shabbily maintained pose, his knees and feet sore and asleep but he ignored his body’s cry for mercy.

She had a heart shaped face and sharp features. Her eyes darted across his outcast shadow once but to his relief did not discover him.

She had skin the color of slightly faded apricots, and she was fairly heighted. Looking at her she ensued a fashion aesthetic aura, judged from her knee length dress.

Maybe that’s why he mistook her for a giant butterfly the first time he saw her. It wasn’t what one would claim warm in a winter night in Seoul, but because they were closer to the countryside he could understand her choice of clothing.

She had on brown narrow boots, making her seem lean and her shadow even taller. Over all, she wasn’t too lavish for his preference; he wished he could at least get close to her.

Instead of walking right past the apple tree, out of the forest, she sat her iPod dock right in front of the tree and opened .

“Apple tree…” she looked intently at the tree, sighing and she dropped onto her knees.

He could hear her sobs from the bush; he could see her perfectly. He took in everything, her vigorous sobs, futile heaving and the disheveled look that was out of place on her beautifully sculptured face.

 

Just as soon as she let out a wail she stopped and stood up. She dusted the dirt from her dress, looking as perfect as before she cried, and her lavish coral pink lips parted.

“I’ll continue training until the day I reach my dream, apple tree.” She patted the tree gingerly as if it was unanimated, and pressed a button on her dock.

Now she embodied a confident and renewed aura, as she placed herself professionally and waited for the music to start.

 

He thought she did perfectly but as soon as the chorus began she sighed. He would not have a clue of her choreography but he realized how completely dismayed she was about whichever hidden mistake she had accomplished.

Still looking intently, he realized that she is not only an extraordinary, immortal dancer but also a much better singer.

If her moves were good then her singing is duplex times greater. She had a mature voice for her young appearance and he was taken aback despite the fact that he just heard her sang ten minutes ago.

 

He could sense the of the song was over and she was about to end. He wanted to make a quiet exit and not even let her see him, but if only fate allowed.

He was inching forward slowly so the leaves would have less rustling but a squirrel jumped by him.

“Sh-shi-” stumbled forward, letting loose a swear he couldn’t help and she too stumbled back in surprise.

 

“M-mianheyo…” he bowed repeatedly, feeling his face immediately flush up. When he looked up she had a small smile on her face, as she shook her head and bowed countless times as well.

“I…you…uh…you’re a good singer.” He complimented, hoping it would help the awkward situation.

She didn’t seem to be convinced and as she pondered her reply in silence he scanned his eyes over her face. She was not only gifted with musical talents and beauty, but she was also composed of a great amount of cuteness. How such powerful voice and dancing could be evolved inside this small area of a body he could not understand, but he was extremely impressed and immediately he felt that he had no talents at all.

He had the urge to hug her like a little teddy bear but then she spoke.

“Forget we met.” She demanded, although he doubt the level of demand as her voice was shy and quiet.

“I…but…” he continued stuttering, drowning in her dark diamond-like eyes.

“When you go back…” she continued, sinking onto her knees in front of the tree.

He did not reply but waited for her to finish.

“Close your eyes and pretend you never met a girl wearing white tonight.” She pleaded, her eyes finally rising to meet his.

He could see tears threatening to fall out of her eyes, so he nodded quickly.

“But can I at least know your nam-” his request never properly left his mouth as she let out a low whimper and picked up her iPod dock.

He considered chasing after her but thought it too awkward. Soon she was gone, fled from the forest.

 

Pretty soon all was left under the circumference of the apple tree’s shade was him and her forgotten iPod.

 

--

hi guys! im so so so sorry for not posting anything since half a month (?) ago , i'm extremely brain dead about this story, but i finally got some inspiration!

yay.

thanks to all you 10 subscribers for loving just the foreword , hoping i won't let you guys down . <3