Final

Overtime

April is a very busy month for SM Stocks Incorporated; to them it is a month of transition from the previous year to the current year. It when all stocks are evaluated, reports are made, deadlines are beaten and so on and so forth. On the last week of March, workers go overtime, sometimes having two to three days of no sleep at all; relying on caffeine and cigarettes. Reports are being typed out and passed to the CEO of the company, Mr. Lee Sooman.

On most days, an entire office filled with desks and papers would be full. Each employee would be on their desks, making reports and doing what they're supposed to do. This night, however, was different. It was the last day of March, and instead of having an entire office filled with people, there were only four people. From twelve, to four. These four, namely: Kim Joonmyeon, Zhang Yixing, Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin has had their third coffee cup for the night as they sorted out the second to last file of paperwork. Their co-workers, decided to ditch them, anyway, it was the night before April Fools.

 

" I hate April." Yixing said as he finished the coffee in his cup.

 

" Who doesn't? April is like hell month. You know, to other countries, April is like the start of summer. " Joonmyeon said as he stood up and streched his back.

 

" I am aware of that, and you what else I am aware of?" Yixing asked.

 

"What?" Joonmyeon asked.

 

" Those two Korean rascals left us." Yixing replied, as he pointed on the two vacant tables, previously occupied by their companions, Jongin and Kyungsoo.

 

" it, you know, I am so tired of this division. This specific division of the company." Joonmyeon complained.

 

" Yeah, people just leave us and let us do all the work. And besides, who names a division EXO- relations anyway?" Yixing asked.

 

" Ask the freaking CEO, he probably knows all the ." Joonmyeon irritatedly replied.

 

Joonmyeon and Yixing were always the underdogs of the division. Probably because of their kindness, their co-workers abuse it and don't take them seriously. But, they weren't the only ones facing this kind of problem.

 

" It's ten-thirty. We should probably finish this tomorrow. Besides, reports are still due on the third." Yixing suggested.

 

" Yeah, we need all the rest we need. We should probably go." Joonyeon said as he pushed back his chair and wore his jacket.

 

Both boys turned of their computers and checked all their belongings, after readying themselves, they set of for their apartment, which was a few kilometers away from their workplace.

 

" Hey, if you aren't sleepy yet, would you mind buying coffee with me-" Joonmyeon asked, before getting cut off by the lights switching  off.

 

" !" Joonmyeon and Yixing  cursed. 

 

Both boys clung to each other like Velcro, for both of them were scared of the dark. They had their arms on each other as they took little steps towards the elevator.

 

" Xing, please don't leave me." Joonmyeon pleaded.

 

" Please, you think I'd leave when I'm also scared of the dark?" Yixing asked.

 

" Come on ,let's get out of-" Joonmyeon said before getting cut off again, by a loud noise.

 

They look for the source of the noise , and they see that the photocopying machine mysteriously by itself, and started making copies of something.

 

" Is it printing something?" Joonmyeon asked, still clinging to the younger Chinese man with all his life.

 

" Only one way to find out." Yixing said as he took a step closer.

 

Joonmyeon stiffened his motion and asked:

 

" Are you serious? What if there's something there?"

 

"Don't be such a . I gotta check what it is." Yixing replied as he took one more step closer.

 

They finally reached the photocopying machine. It was plugged, and it seemed that it was printing mulitiple copies of something. Yixing got one copy and together with Joonmyeon, they read the words that horrified them:

 

" You two are not alone."

 

Both boys looked at each other for a moment, and together, they yelled in fright, as they ran as fast as they could to the elevator. The lights behind them started to flicker, one by one, and darkness started chasing them; the faster they ran, the faster darkness chased them.

 

They finally reached the elevator and Yixing immediately pressed the button going down, apparently, the elevator didn't cooperate. 

 

" ! Why wouldn't you open!" Joonmyeon yelled as he kicked the elevator doors, hoping it would open.

 

" Darkness is coming!" Yixing said as he held on to his only companion's arm. 

 

After a second, it was entirely dark.

 

" ." Both boys cursed.

 

"Joon, don't let go of me." Yixing said, in a voice that almost made it seem that he was crying.

 

" I wouldn't. Promise. Let's just stay as calm as possible." Joonmyeon assured him.

 

A second later, all lights were switched on, blinding both boys. But, a second later, they saw something in front of them that frightened them so much, that they actually screamed like women.

 

They saw a woman, with black hair, pale skin and blood-stained clothes, hanging from the ceiling.

 

" ! Run!" Both boys cursed as they decided to take the fire exit down.

 

Just a few moments after the two boys left, laughter was heard. Two boys came out of their hiding places, and rolled on the floor, as they laughed and cried tears of joy. These two boys, were Jongin and Kyungsoo.

 

" Holy !" Kyungsoo said as he rolled on the floor, holding on to his now-painful stomach.

 

" Joon, don't leave me. Xing, don't leave me. Oh my goodness, that is so gay." Jongin added as he imitated the two.

 

The two boys laughed for a while, before taking down the mannequin hanging from the ceiling.

 

" I can't believe they actually fell for this prank. " Kyungsoo said as he the mannequin's wig.

 

" Who wouldn't , I mean, look at the mannequin. It looks like a ghost, it's as pale as Joonmyeon-hyung." Jongin agreed.

 

" Shut up, Jongin, you're just pointing out the mannequin's color because you're black." Kyungsoo joked, which actually silenced Jongin.

 

" Stop mocking me." Jongin said.

 

" Come on, it was just a joke." Kyungsoo said as he put an arm around the taller man.

 

Jongin just simply nodded his head, because he honestly felt bad whenever he was mocked for his skin color, especially by his officemates.

 

" Come on, let's get our work done." Kyungsoo said as he led the younger man to their workstations.

 

Kyungsoo put the mannequin aside and the two settled down; they knew that they needed to finish their jobs, and make up for the thirty minutes they wasted playing a prank on their officemates.

 

" Say, how far have we gotten with the reports?" Jongin asked.

 

" Yixing said they finished the second week of December. So, all in all, we still have about fourteen weeks of paperwork to do." Kyungsoo replied.

 

Jongin banged his head lightly on the table and cursed under his breath.

 

" I did not sign up for this job." Jongin said.

 

" Neither did I, so let's just finish the third week and get the out of here." Kyungsoo said.

 

Jongin agreed to it and they continued their work. Thirty minutes has passed, when Jongin asked:

 

" We're still on the third week, right." 

 

Kyungsoo nodded his head and said:

 

" Tuesday, third week of December 2015 , to be exact."

 

" I give up. I need to go to the bathroom, and maybe eat something." Jongin said as he stood up from his chair.

 

" Yeah, sure." Kyungsoo replied, not talking his eyes off the screen.

 

Jongin made his way to the restroom, and yawned loudly, loud enough to make it echo down the dark corridor.

He entered the bathroom and approached the closest urinal. Jongin streched before peeing, and as he relieved himself,  he hummed to Roses by The Chainsmokers.

 

He washed his hands and looked at himself on the mirror; something caught his attention. He turned around and saw a piece of paper posted on the door of the cubicle. He approached the door, and read what was on the paper:

 

" You are not alone."

 

He laughed to himself as he said:

 

" Okay, Kyungsoo. I get it. You're trying to scare me."

 

But only silence greeted him.

 

" You aren't replying, huh?" Jongin said as he kicked the door open, only realizing that it was empty.

 

Puzzled and creeped out , Jongin left the restroom and made his way to the kitchen.

 

The kitchen was probably the best place in the office for Jongin, because of all the food and drinks. Jongin grabbed a few bags of chips and a six-pack of Coke in cans, before turning around to leave. But before leaving, something strange happened.

 

The refrigerator started to shake by itself, but thinking that it was another prank by Kyungsoo,  Jongin decided to put his foot on the refrigerator's door, preventing Kyungsoo from opening the door.

 

" Is it freezing in there, Soo?" Jongin asked as he put more force on the door.

 

The refrigerator continued to shake, even more violently than before, but Jongin never let go of the door. He even put his foot on the door and trapped whoever was inside the door. A few seconds before someone asked:

 

" Dude, what the hell are you doing?"

 

Jongin turned around, only to see Kyungsoo standing by the door.

 

" And why the hell is your foot on the ref?" Kyungsoo added.

 

" Um, nothing, I was just streching." Jongin lied as he streched.

 

Kyungsoo stared at him weirdly before saying: 

 

" Sometimes, you can be very weird."

 

" What are you doing here?" Jongin asked.

 

" You took ten freaking minutes, and I am freaking starving." Kyungsoo replied as he sat on the kitchen counter.

 

" Sorry about that." Jongin apologized.

 

" What took you so long anyway?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

" Duh, I went to the bathroom." Jongin replied.

 

" Well, of course. You were in the bathroom, because you're Mr. Vanity. You know, you probably should be featured on Vanity-" Kyungsoo said, before getting cut off by the lights being switched off.

 

" Crap." Both boys said.

 

" Tell me you didn't plan this." Jongin said.

 

" Why the hell would I plan this? I have absolutely no idea what the is going on!" Kyungsoo replied.

 

" Look, all we need is light. I remember seeing an emergency light on the counter." Jongin said.

 

"Okay, I'll look for it." Kyungsoo said as he felt for the emergency light, however, he could not find it.

 

" It's not here." Kyungsoo replied.

 

" Are you serious? I'm sure it's somewhere there, I just saw it there a while ago." Jongin said.

 

" Yeah, but apparently it's--" Kyungsoo said before someone said:

 

" Looking for something?" 

 

"Oh ." Both boys cursed.

 

They heard the refrigerator door creak, making them curse once more.

 

" Soo, you didn't plan this right?" Jongin asked, close to tears.

 

" I did not, Jackass." Kyungsoo replied.

 

Both boys scooted closer to each other, and closer to the corner of the room. It was dead quiet for about a minute before someone, a woman with long hair, grabbed their feet.

 

" !" Both boys yelled.

 

At the same time, a pale, bloodied face appeared in front of them. 

 

"Leave us alone! " the bloodied face yelled. 

 

Both boys screamed as they hugged each other, shut their eyes and finding comfort from each other. They shut their eyes for about two minutes, and they only opened them, once they sensed that all the lights were switched back on.

 

They were relieved once the lights were on, but what they saw in front of them made them feel otherwise.

 

In front of them, they saw two boys laughing at them, as they rolled on the kitchen floor. These boys, were the boys they pranked: Joonmyeon and Yixing.

 

Kyungsoo scoffed as he stood up, and asked:

 

" What the hell are you doing here?"

 

Jongin stood up and added:

 

" You almost gave us a heart attack."

 

Yixing, who was still rolling on the ground, stood up and said:

 

" It's called payback."

 

" Yeah, and please, you think you didn't give us a heart attack?" Joonmyeon added as he continued laughing.

 

Kyungsoo ignored the two before he walked out on them.

 

" Anyway, what were you doing here on the first place?" Yixing asked.

 

" Getting food, Kyungsoo and I were getting hungry." Jongin replied.

 

" Well, if you could add a couple more chips for Yixing  and I, that'd he great." Joonmyeon said as he gave the younger boy a pat on the shoulder and left with Yixing.

 

Jongin sighed loudly as he grabbed more food to feed the hungry bellies of the people older than him. He also brought more Cokes for the two other men.

 

He left the kitchen and proceeded to the working area. As he passed by the dark corirdor, he felt something pass behind him.

 

" Who's there?" Jongin asked as he turned around. Darkness greeted him.

 

Not seeing anyone, he continued his journey to the working area. Moments later, he swore that he felt something tap his shoulder.

 

" What the hell, Guys! This isn't funny anymore!" Jongin yelled, only to be greeted by nothing.

 

He turned around, only to receive the greatest shock of his life. He saw a woman, hanging upside down, with her head right in front of Jongin's face.

 

" ! Guys, this isn't funny!" Jongin yelled as he ran to the working area.

All hallways were dark, but all Jongin eanted was to see some light, which could only be found in their office. He turned numerous lefts and rights, hoping to find the light he has been looking for. After much searching, he finally found the office.

 

" Guys, open the door." Jongin yelled as he barged in the room.

 

He opened the door to their office, only to be shocked by a rotting pig mask. Jongin fell back on the table, knocking every thing on top of it, before falling down on the ground.

 

Three laughters were heard, as Kyungsoo took off the pig mask and Joonmyeon and Yixing went out of their hiding places.

 

" Did you see the look on his face?" Joonmyeon asked.

 

" Oh, hell yes I did." Kyungsoo replied as he tossed the mask to he other side of the room.

 

" Look at him on the floor. Wake up, Jongin." Yixing said as he shook him.

 

But Jongin did not wake up.

 

" Jongin-ah! Get up, you loser!" Yixing said as he shook him even harder.

 

Still, Jongin did not budge.

 

"Jongin-ah! Wake up! Wake up!" Joonmyeon, now worried, shook him.

 

Kyungsoo looked at him from where he was standing, as he started to blame himself.

 

" Kyungsoo! What did you do?" Joonmyeon asked the younger man.

 

" We just scared him! That kind of fall wouldn't kill him!" Kyungsoo replied.

 

" You heard his head thump on the floor." Yixing added.

 

" He's probably unconscious, he'll wake up later." Kyungsoo replied.

 

Yixing felt for a pulse while Joonmyeon heard if he was breathing or not.

 

" No breath." Yixing said.

 

"No pulse." Joonmyeon added.

 

Kyungsoo started to feel guilty, and scared.

 

" I'll take full responsibility of ehat happened here." Kyungsoo said as he left the three in the office. Once Kyungsoo left, the two men continued shaking him, hoping that he's wake up.

 

Once they made sure that Kyungsoo was completely out of range, Joonmyeon hit Jongin the head and said:

 

" Wake up, loser!"

 

Jongin immediately opened his eyes, looked at Joonmyeon, and both started laughing.

 

Yixing, who was completely clueless, asked:

 

" Wait, did you guys plan this?" 

 

Joonmyeon nodded his head as he helped Jongin up and gave him a high-five.

 

" And Kyungsoo has no idea about this?" Yixing asked. Both boys nodded their heads.

 

" You guys are so mean, he's feeling guilty, just saying." Yixing said as he left the working area to look for Kyungsoo.

 

Both boys started laughing hysterically once Yixing left.

 

" Please tell me Yixing was just being Mr. Goodie-Two-Shoes?" Jongin asked.

 

" Well, Yixing as we know it." Joonmyeon replied as he patted the younger man at the back.

 

" You really did a good job acting dead, though. It was very believable." Joonmyeon said.

 

" Of course, if I weren't stuck in this hellhole, I'd be an actor and --" Jongin replied, only to be cut off by Yixing yelling:

 

" Kyungsoo-ah! What are you doing?" 

 

Both boys immediately left the office and ran to where Yixing and Kyungsoo were.  

 

They followed Yixing's voice, which eventually led them to the fire exit. They found him looking at Kyungsoo's hanging body from one of the pipes, his wrists slit, and on the wall, written in blood was:

 

" I did not kill him."

 

Yixing managed to look at the two boys and yell:

 

" Look what you made him do!"

 

As Joonmyeon totally believed them, Jongin simply walked past Yixing and tickled Kyungsoo's legs.

 

" You are such a bad actor, I swear." Jongin said as he tickled him.

 

Feeling ticklish, Kyungsoo squirmed in mid-air and said:

 

" Okay, okay. You got me, just help me down."

 

Jongin supported his legs as Kyungsoo removed the safety harness and rope off his neck.

 

" You, Zhang Yixing, are very believable. You will be a very good actor someday." Jongin said as he patted Yixing's shoulder.

 

" You guys are unbelievable." Joonmyeon said.

 

" Calm down, it's just a prank. I mean look, I'm alive and I'm not hurt. That's just fake blood on the wall." Kyungsoo replied.

 

" Yeah, but this is going below the belt. You guys are going to far with your pranks." Joonmyeon said.

 

" Yeah, he's right. You know, someday, no one would believe you anymore because of your pranks." Yixing added.

 

" Come on, we're just having fun. Don't be such a sore loser. And besides, you were on with the pranks a while ago." Jongin replied.

 

"  Do it your own way, prank other people, but whatever, I'm done with you guys." Joonmyeon said as he walked out on them.

 

" Hope you guys take this as something to learn about." Yixing added as he left the two and followed Joonmyeon.

 

Joonmyeon walked as fast as he could to the restroom, and locked himself in a cubicle.

 

Yixing immediately followed him, and said:

 

" Joonmyeon, it's me you can get out now." 

 

" I really hate those two. Their pranks are getting too far. " Joonmyeon said.

 

" Jongin and Kyungsoo are pranksters, like it or not you have to accept the fact that they'd always be like that." Yixing replied.

 

" Look, what I know is that I couldn't rest unless I finally have my revenge on them." Joonmyeon said.

 

" Honestly, I want that to." Yixing replied.

 

Moment later, Joonmyeon went out of the cubicle and said:

 

" Then let's show them what we've got."

 

They went out of the restroom, and went back to their working area. Upon entering, they saw someone lying down on the ground. They ran to him, to check who it was, and when they found out who it is was, they didn't know whether to believe in it or not.

 

They saw Jongin, unconscious, in the same position where he pretended he was dead.

 

" He isn't pranking, right?" Yixing asked.

 

Joonmyeon kicked him as hard as he could, but, Jongin never woke up.

 

" ." Both boys cursed as they quickly got their things and ran away, leaving Jongin behind.

 

They ran to the fire exit, only to find Kyungsoo's body still hanging from the spot where he also made his prank.

 

" Are they ing serious?" Yixing asked, sounding absolutely scared.

 

" If this isn't a prank, then we were talking to ghosts." Joonmyeon replied, also sounding scared,

 

Afterwards, all lights went off.

 

" ! Come on, let's just get out of here!" Yixing said as he and Joonmyeon ran down the stairs.

 

Once both boys were completely out of sight, Jongin and Kyungsoo came out of their hiding spots and laughed hysterically.

 

" Well, that surely went overboard." Jongin said while laughing.

 

Kyungsoo laughed as he took a life-size mannequin of him down from the pipe.

 

" Look at this mannequin, it looks exactly like me." Kyungsoo said as he put the mannequin's head beside his.

 

Both boys laughed as they walked back to the working area. Jongin got a life-size mannequin of him and put it somewhere no one else would find.

 

" I can't wait to do this to the others tomorrow." Jongin said.

 

" And I can't wait to see how Joonmyeon and Yixing would talk to us tomorrow." Kyungsoo added.' As he put his mannequin in the same cabinet where Jongin hid his.

 

" Look, our prank was a success. Tomorrow, we should probably prank the new guy from China and the boy who likes bubble tea." Jongin suggested.

 

" Yeah, what were their names? Was it Sehun and Luhan?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

Jongin nodded his head as he looked at his watch. 

 

" It's eleven-fifty-five. We should probably get some rest. It was a very fun and tiring night for us." Jongin said.

 

" Yeah, I guess we should." Kyungsoo said as he put his hand on Jongin's shoulder and walked to the elevator.

 

They pressed the button for the elevator to go down, and once the door opened, they immediately got in. They pressed the button for the Ground Floor, and the elevator immdeiately deacended. While on the elevator, Jongin got a call from a mysterious number.

 

" Hey, whose number is this?" Jongin asked Kyungsoo.

 

" I don't know. You should probably ask him once you pick it up." Kyungsoo replied.

 

Jongin nodded his head as he accepted the call.

 

" Hello?"

 

" Jongin, is this you?" The man asked.

 

" Yes, who is this please?" He asked.

 

" This is Jongdae. I changed my number." 

 

" Oh, hey Dae. What can I do for you?" Jongin asked.

 

" I'm downstairs with a police officer. He called me and the rest to come here because Joonmyeon and Yixing are dead." Jongdae replied.

 

Jongin widened his eyes.

 

" What? Are you serious?" Jongin asked.

 

" What happened?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

" Joonmyeon and Yixing are dead."Jongin replied as he put his phone on speakerphone.

 

" Jongdae ,are you serious? You're like the master pranker of all." Kyungsoo asked.

 

" Yes, I am serious. Here, speak to the officer." Jongdae replied as he handed the phone to the officer.

 

" This is Officer Kim Youngmin. Yes, Kim Joonmyeon and Zhang Yixing are dead." the officer said.

 

" How? That's impossible, we were just with them about fifteen minutes ago." Jongin asked.

 

" No, Kim Joonmyeon and Zhang Yixing died at around ten-thirty in the evening. Judging by their broken bones, they fell from the twentieth floor of this building. They probably leaned on the stair railings and fell straight to the ground floor." The officer said.

 

Both boys were silenced.

 

" Okay, officer. We'll be there in a minute." Jongin  said as he hung up.

 

" Oh ." Kyungsoo said.

 

" Were we talking to ghosts all along?" Jongin asked.

 

It was silent for a while before the elevator stopped, trapping both boys inside . 

 

" Somebody help us!" Kyungsoo yelled as he punched the elevator door.

 

"We're trapped! Somebody please!" Jongin added.

 

Something beeped a few seconds later;this something turned out to be Kyungsoo's digital watch, which said:

 

" 2016 April 01 . 12:00 AM"

 

A few moments later, they saw a reflection on the elevator door. They saw two bloodied and pale boys staring intently at them.

 

Joonmyeon and Yixing grabbed the two boys by the neck. The ghosts' touch paralyzed both boys, terrifying them.

 

" What do you want from us?" Kyungsoo asked.

 

The now deceased Joonmyeon chuckled as he and Yixing tightened their grips on the living boys' necks and said:

 

"April Fools Day."