Chapter 5

A Life

 

A/N: Sorry for the long haitus. The summer hit with an internship and a part time job. And I started another semester of school. So updates should be more frequent.


“Yo Kai, what happened last night?” Sehun asked the lad as they walked to the gym. “One moment we were all talking and the next I see you with a girl. And that never happens.”

Sehun was utterly confused because his best friends since diapers—who had the most morals out of all of their friend group—came running out of his hotel room half with an unopened pack in his hand looking horrifyingly scared out of his mind.

“To be honest all I know was that I was intrigued by her costume and ended up flirting with her. We had drinks and from then it went downhill. I can’t even remember what she looks like. Her face is a blur.” Jongin ruffled his hair roughly. He really didn’t even know what went through his mind last night. “She was amazing though. Not like the other girls that I have came in contact with before. We talked so much. We laughed so much. And drank while we did it. I think it was her first time at a social setting like that and so she ended up drinking more than she should and me being the , I drank right along with her. But then we started dancing and I became a monster. At first I just wanted to kiss her, I swear that’s all that I wanted to do. But then she was just so ing fantastic, for a moment, I convinced myself that I was in love. And that’s where it ended.”

At that point the two had stopped walking as Jongin told his story and his story had left Sehun with his mouth wide open. He was speechless. He couldn’t believe that was his best friend talking. The best friend who only had dancing, family, and work in his head. The best friend who kissed two other girls on occasion, but had never dated. The best friend who lost his ity to a complete stranger. The best friend who was now feeling guilty because he had felt like he took advantage of a girl and didn’t even seem to use the the hotel came prepared with. The best friend who only had half of a name to go by and half of hope to be able to cross paths with her one more time.

While Jongin was at the gym, the only thing he could think about was their encounter that morning. He kept hearing movement and opened his eyes to see a girl with blonde hair and colored tips. His heart was racing. He was panicking. He kept thinking, what had happened last night, while he shielded his eyes from the incoming sun. He wanted to see her face though. He was flustered to be in the situation he was in, but in order to see who she was he asked her to hand him his pants. Jongin didn’t actually know if his pants were over there or not, but sure enough they were and the girl kept her back to him the whole time while handing it to him. After she left he sighed and continued to get ready himself.

Jongin put the dumbbells down. As sweat dripped from his skin, he realized that during his thought he overdid his workout. , I’m going to be sore tomorrow. But all Jongin could think about is how much he wanted to see her again. He remembered the feelings they shared last night, just not the person. It was going to take a lot for him to find out who it was that turned him crazy in one night.

Jongin raced to the bathroom to splash his face with cold water. He just couldn’t believe what he had done. He lost his first time to a girl he drunkingly convinced himself he was in love with. He just went for it. He wasn’t sure if he took advantage of her or if it was the other way around. He just knew that he was somehow going to get punished for this. Jongin just couldn’t come to terms on how his strong morals were wasted in one night. Who was this girl?

Jongin met Sehun at the locker room. “Sehun I can’t believe how useless you are. You saw me with the girl and if I recall you knew her.”

Sehun apologetically looked at his friend, “Sorry dude, I was completely plastered. I don’t even remember what happened after you left to go get a drink.”

Jongin ruffled his hair in frustration. Why can’t I remember? If he could remember, maybe—just maybe—all of his questions could be answered. But if she couldn’t remember as much as him, then were they both a lost cause?

He decided to go home for now and clear his mind. Hopefully he can remember later on.

--

“Jongin, have you made any mistakes yet?” Jongin choked as his mother asked him this question at the dinner table.

“What do you mean mother?” Jongin retorted.

Mrs. Kim laughed. “Jongin dear whatever did you think I meant? I’m talking about your internship.” She picked up her cup of water and took a sip to follow the bite of potatoes she ate.

“Haha. It’s going well mom. Kyungsoo’s step mother came to the office the other day. It was actually my first time meeting her. He doesn’t speak of her much or invite me or the boys over, so it was quite a shock.” Jongin stated.

“Isn’t she beautiful? It is always a shocker every time I see her at the dinner parties that your father drags me to.” Jongin’s mother chuckled.

Mr. Kim spoke up at that moment. “Did you know before she and Mr. Do got married they both tried to run away from their engagement? It didn’t last for very long obviously, but that is how Kyungsoo came about. Their delays lasted about six years before their families were able to bring them back and they got married to merge their companies. Now one company cannot run without the other. It is very messy and I wouldn’t do that to you guys unless you wanted to.”

Mrs. Kim looked at Jongin and then at his sister. “I wouldn’t want you two to go through what other people in our status had to. We have enough money, more than we can imagine. So why be greedy for more.” She laughed.

After dinner Jongin and his sister sat up in his room playing video games. He had called her in after dinner because he had few questions to ask his sister. Questions that he thought that only a girl could answer, since his friends were a pack of dummies anyways.

“Hey Mia, have you ever looked at someone and your heart started beating?” he asked her. She gave him a confused look.

“What do you mean?” she countered distractingly.

Jongin coughed.

“Like, ok let me rephrase this.” Jongin paused the game and turned Mia’s chair towards him. “Let’s say you see someone and this someone piqued your interest. You couldn’t help but to be curious. You notice them from afar, but your eyes can’t seem to stop following every move they make? You chuckle seeing them so concentrated. And you can’t help but to try to attempt to get their attention. So you do and then you find yourself in a spiraling black hole. One that you cannot get out of because now you’re just stuck. You get that eye contact and you are just stuck. But you already had a few drinks by then and so you get the courage to approach her-“

“You just said her.” Mia eyeballed. He choked.

“Just listen dammit. THEM NOT HER MY FREAKING BAD. IM TRYNA SPEAK OUT OF TERMS HERE” Jongin sighed. “Anyways you approach THEM and their movements and speech is captivating and you can’t help but wonder what was in the drinks you had. Then you drink more to help them have fun and then gets wild and you wake up confused.” He finished in one breath.

“Wow” she said speechless. “Does this happen to people a lot because I have heard a story similar to that, but I can’t figure out from where. Maybe it was from a movie. Your night was like a tv show wasn’t it Kai.” She chuckled.

“Shut up. Just…If you hadn’t had the security cameras turned off I could’ve figured out who it was.” He grasped his head in his hands.

“My fault for trying to keep any type of mishaps with the media. The last thing mom and dad needs is security footage of the dirty things college kids do. Social media is fine, but we don’t want to tarnish the hotel.”

“You’re right. All I remember is her costume.”

“And what was that?”

“Harley Quinn.”

That struck a shiver in Mia’s body, but she couldn’t figure out why. “Weren’t there like 50 Harley’s there?”

“Yeah, but she was the best. Harley and the Joker are my favorite villains. Because as a Psych minor, I loved how they were portrayed. And she made the aura and the look perfect. I could tell she was a DC fan herself. You can’t find many authentic fans.”

“I’m not sure what you’re on, but it really does sound like you’re in love.” Her eyes got big. “What the Kai did you fall in love at first sight?”

Jongin sat there staring at the wall in front of him, “Well .”

--

The next morning, Jongin woke up earlier than usual—so that he could stop at the dance studio before work—and went over some things for work. He was born to dodge the media—and has been doing it since he was 10—so when he got to work, he was scot-free.

But as he was about to walk into the building, a wave of blonde hair passed him by. As Jongin’s heart clenched, he froze. He stayed still, staring at the door ahead of him. He hadn’t even walked into his work place yet. His mind was trying to piece together where he had smelled that sweet papaya scent before. Papaya! , he thought as his eye widened.

He tried to whip around as fast as he could. But by the time he realized who that person could’ve been, she was out of site. And with his shoulders sunken lower than how he left the house that morning, Kim Jongin entered the work place he dreaded to be at the most.


Comment your thoughts please! Any kind of feedback is positive feedback.