02 :: The Princess

Secret Princess (비밀공주)

 

Chapter 02 – The Princess

 

 

“It is the thickest and deepest layer of the skin. Who knows the answer?”

 

The anatomy professor threw yet again another subjective question, a question easily found on the book and need not any analysis and yet he still does so. Smart people liked it, but half of them don’t. Lazy people hates it, they hate even just flipping their 2-inch thick book to find an answer. The students in III – C grew accustomed to Professor Park’s teaching, and it seemed that he himself was used to the noisy class, he almost didn’t mind the boys playing with each other, throwing papers, using their mobiles, or even sneak-reading adult magazines behind their desks. The girls were allowed to chat at each other, retouch their make-ups, giggle at the boys of their liking, or anything. Describing Professor Park’s anatomy class, it could be compared as an open market. Everyone do what they want to do without being reprimanded. It was the reason why most of the students liked the old professor. In truth, it was not that he didn’t mind the noise or the inattentiveness of his students, but he was content on the few of these children who diligently participate in his class, and who are eager to learn. He couldn’t force the others, but he could help those who wanted to learn. It was his own style of teaching.

 

A young boy who just finished peaking at some adult magazine, raised his hand. “Yes, Dongwoon-ah.” The professor’s face lit at the confidence of his student although he doubted he’ll answer correctly. True to his instinct, Dongwoon was left speechless as he stared at the whiteboard where the image of the anatomy of the skin was posted. Everyone anticipated for his answer, it was those few moments when the class is silenced.

 

“What is that again, sir? I actually raised my hand because I wanted to go to the restroom.” Dongwoon’s answer caused a gently smack on the back of his head by Professor Park and a wave of laughter from the whole class. Of course, the resident joker is on the roll again. Dongwoon loves to prank people up, in his own little ways.

 

“Yah, stop playing your silly games, Dongwoon-sshi.” He reprimanded the student yet letting him out as well. “Anyone knows the answer? Ms. Jeon?”

 

Jeon Hyosung stood up, rising from the book she was reading, and faced Professor Park. “The subcutaneous layer, sir.” Her answer earned a round of whistles and applause from the class, some jokingly but most were amazed at her memory skills. Professor Park emitted a proud smile after hearing Hyosung’s answer.

 

The class went to its usual, and Professor Park continued with his lesson, but one student was left at a daze. Lee Kikwang’s eyes never left Hyosung then.

 

He had always admired her – no, not in a romantic way, but more because Hyosung was perfect in almost everything she does. And everyone recognize that thought as well. The professors always had their eyes on Hyosung as their protégés. The intelligent girl never failed to impress them with their grades. They have been sending her to interschool competitions and she would always bring home the bacon. She was the brightest girl of their batch, the top 1 for 2 consecutive years, and this year it is almost assured that she’d continue her legacy. Many envied her for being multi-talented. The boys of their year, as well as the others, have their jaws drop whenever Jeon Hyosung spikes a ball. Her petite body wasn’t a hindrance as she aced their volleyball team. Although not in their school varsity, Hyosung was anticipated whenever there would be a game, for it is almost 90% sure they would win. Her deadly spiked earned her and her group perfect scored for their Physical Education exams.

 

Kikwang would always watch her from the side, picking up the balls from the game as she does her warm up routine. Every after game she would stay at the gym for a couple of minutes, hands deadly spiking the balls towards the wall, letting them bounce dangerously and then left scattered all over. Kikwang would watch him from farthest side of the gym, and it wasn’t as suspicious as it is because it was actually his friends who would drag him just to get a close look at Jeon Hyosung.

 

“Whoah, that was tough.”

 

“If I were her, my hands would sore from that spike.”

 

“Damn. She’s just too perfect, what can Hyosung not do?”

 

Yoseob, Junhyung and Doojoon took turns in throwing praises for Hyosung but Kikwang silently watched with them, hiding his expression as he discreetly agree with them.

 

“She’s pretty cool too, and very nice. I heard she adopted a small lost puppy.” Yoseob said, eyes glued as Hyosung threw yet another hard punch on the ball, the sound of the ball hitting the wall and the floors echoing through the entire gym.

 

“Heard that too.  She’s really cute. I wonder if she’s dating anyone right now.” Doojoon’s stare followed  Hyosung as she picked a ball, ready to be killed by her spike.

 

“Wanna bet on who can successfully ask her out?” The playboy Junhyung proposed. Doojoon and Yoseob agreed without, leaving Kikwang now staring blankly at the lobby ahead of them.

 

“Yah, Kikwang-ah. Why are you quiet?”

 

Lee Kikwang rose from his stupor as his friends nudged him. Every time he would hear anyone in discussion about Jeon Hyosung, he would deliberately shut him off from them, pretending to be busy over something, sometimes walking quietly out of the conversation. Everyone saw the boy as a quiet and aloof one by such actions but he knew better. He was just doing his best to avoid engaging in any conversations involving Hyosung. That was his way to prevent spilling unnecessary information that would disappoint his princess.

 

“Hey, I remember you went to the same primary school as with Jeon Hyosung? Tell me, was she that perfect even before?” Excitement filled Yoseob’s voice as he tried to juice Kikwang with any information that would confirm of Hyosung’s inborn perfection, as he would fondly describe. But he never knew it would never take anything, especially because it’s Kikwang he’s talking to.

 

“Yeah. But I really don’t know. I never got the chance to talk to her.” Kikwang replied in perfect deception. Of course, his friends believed him.

 

“Yeah right. You’re not someone whom Hyosung would talk to.” The three laughed heartedly, always kidding the quiet one. Kikwang got used to it though.



If it was to save him and his princess’s identity, then so be it. They will never know though, that of all people, it was Lee Kikwang who knew best of the perfect girl Jeon Hyosung.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Well, decided to update tonight. Luckily I've managed to cough out a chapter in 3 hours (right after I wrote and posted a chapter in The Ravisher's Eyes) Sorry for the dull chapter. I had to bring up their characters first. And thank you for patiently waiting. <3 Comments are loved. Drop some and upvote! <3