01 :: Anonymity

Secret Princess (비밀공주)

 

8 years...

 

Lee Kikwang smiled to himself as he remembered a certain episode in his childhood life 8 years ago. When he was just 10 years old, he had become a princess’ servant. Recalling how foolishly he had agreed to the girl’s wish made him want to laugh at his old self. He can’t believe what ball of cheese he was when he accepted the girl’s offer through a servant-like gesture. He smiled and cringed at the same time, thinking how he had done it over and over again for 8 years, and is still doing it for his princess.

 

They had started this game 8 years ago, and it still on it, even though they have grown to an age when these games aren’t likely to be played by teenagers like them. This was probably still a game for her, but for Kikwang, it had become more than that. He had found himself bound to his duties as his princess’ servant, more than what the game entails him – from their everyday meetings, to their feign acts just so that their relationship would remain secret, even up to actually going in the same high school so as just to continue their game. This game had progressed as time passes, and it became more profound, maybe too profound, that it had literally changed his life.

 

They had started a bit awkward, he remembered. His first day as a servant was a total fail, and to say that the princess was disappointed was an understatement. It was another school day, and contrary to the day before, the sun was beautifully shining above their beloved school. If his memory serves him right, it was during their Physical Education class when he had made his first mistake.

     

 

Han Mi seonsaengnim, their PE teacher, entered the classroom with a big smile planted on her petite face. It was the time of the year when students have to prepare a dance performance as a practical exam for PE. Each class was given different kinds of dances, and this year, the faculty had chosen ballroom dance. Unfortunately for Kikwang, who was a bad dancer at that time, Han Mi seonsaengnim chose waltz for their class.

 

“Now, I need you, girls and boys, to choose your partners for our Waltz performance. I’ll give you ten minutes for that while I set up our sound system.” Han Mi seonsaengnim announced before she headed to the faculty to get her stereo and tape. Giggles from the girls echoed through the small room as the teacher went out, and worried sighs can be heard from the boys, including Kikwang. The girls were bubbling in excitement, some even blush to themselves as they look at their crushes to be their prospect partners, but one girl was out of this trance. She just sat on her sit, quietly reading a small pocketbook with an emotionless face. She wasn’t excited as the other girls were for some reasons, though everybody knows how good she was at dancing. She was their class’ ultimate talented ulzzang – whom the boys adore and the girls envy in secrecy. In addition, she was Kikwang’s new princess.

 

Kikwang stared at her, quite confused as to why she was impassive at a subject that she was so great at. During the past years’ dance performances, she and her group would always have the highest grade and the loudest applauses from the students and faculty alike, and all credits goes to her amazing dance skills. Opposite to her fate, Kikwang, on the other hand, had below average scores for their performances. He at dancing, and he big time.

 

While some of the students started to couple themselves, she remained still at her sit. Whoever her partner is, there will be no problem. She would excel, no matter how bad her partner is. Many students, especially those with very low grades due to skipping classes, had tried to get her to be a part of their group, and being the nice girl that she was, she would welcome their invites, making them pass their almost-fail PE grades. Kikwang also has an almost-fail grade, and he thought that maybe her princess could actually give him a favor by partnering with him so that she could boost his grade this year. It wasn’t a bad idea, since he considered the both of them as ‘friends’ when he accepted her game plan. She wouldn’t mind helping her servant, right?

 

Thinking he was right, Kikwang separated himself from the group of boys who hasn’t got their pairs yet, and went to approach his princess. She was still reading her pink pocketbook, and Kikwang could see a smile creeping into her soft lips.

 

“Hyosung-sshi...”

 

The girl took her attention off her beloved pocketbook to face the person calling her name. “Hmmm?” She sweetly asked, with a warm smile radiating from her face.

 


“Could you be my partner for our Waltz dance?”

 

It took her several seconds, looking at him then to the person behind him, then back to him, before answering. “Of course. That would be awesome. “

 

The guy smiled and flees away, with a grin plastered in his face as he victoriously got Hyosung to pair with him, and unquestionably raise his grades for PE this year. Hyosung’s smile faded away and was replaced by annoyance as she saw the other guy, looking dumbly confused as he stared at her. It was then that Kikwangr realized that he forgot something about the game.

 

 

 

◘•◘

 

 

It was late in the afternoon, and the yellow hue of the descending sun was starting to blend with the light blue sky. Most of the children had gone home, except for Kikwang, who was nervously waiting for his princess at the vacant park.

 

Earlier that day, after their PE class, just as when he was about to take his lunch, he received an anonymous letter, rolled and placed on his bag. He opened it and read its content.

 

방자,(Servant)

                    6 PM. Park. Hyosung is not happy. Better make a good excuse.

                                                                                                                                           공주(Princess) 

 

Though he did not successfully make an encounter with Hyosung earlier, admittedly, he forgot what he should not do. He knew Hyosung read his mind, and figured out that he was actually trying to talk to her during their PE class. It was a blessing that he was late for a few seconds, because a boy came before him just as when he was about to call for Hyosung and ask her to be his partner. It was the first time he had actually felt scared as if he had seen a ghost when he saw the way she discreetly glared at him when she found him behind the boy. Her eyes say it behind her smile. You’re dead meat, Kikwang.

 

 

For the second time, Kikwang saw the little girl Hyosung, stomping her feet as she walks to the playground. Immediately, Kikwang stood up from his seat to greet her, but she just walked past him and went to the swing. Kikwang, unsure of what to do, barely stood there, as he watched the brooding princess.

 

“Have you forgotten the rules?” Hyosung said, as she swings by herself and avoiding any eye contact with Kikwang.

 

“I’m sorry Hyosung.. I..”

 

“Is that how you call your princess?” She abruptly stopped and stared straight at him, as if she was boring a hole onto his face. She was more than pissed for some reasons, and Kikwang was only adding up to the annoyance that she has been trying to get rid of.

 

“Sorry, my princess...” Kikwang uttered in a low voice. He was feeling quite embarrassed that he was not doing well as a servant. But more to that, he was upset to himself for being the cause of Hyosung’s anger.

 

 

“Rule number one – In school, we would pretend like we’re only classmates. No more or less. It means that we do not really talk to each other unless needed. I want to keep this secret from all, don’t you remember? It was just yesterday, and yet you are already failing at your job. What if they discovered the princess and take me back to our kingdom? How would you be able to protect your princess if you couldn’t even protect our anonymity??”

 

Kikwang was taken aback by the sudden outburst of Hyosung. He was used to seeing a happy-go-lucky and bubbly girl, but not a whining and dramatic Hyosung. She had pretty much dissolved herself in this game that it had actually frustrated her for the rest of the day. He wanted to apologize for making her feel bad. But what excuse would he say? That he only wants to pair up with her so that she’ll be able to save his PE grades from falling? No. Just no. Hyosung would be even more furious when she finds this out.

 

Instead, Kikwang went behind Hyosung and quietly pushed the swing for her, feeling much apologetic for what he had done. He doesn’t know what to say to his princess. He was never a good talker especially with girls, and it had left him silent for the rest of the minute.

 

“I’m sorry, my princess...” Kikwang finally uttered when he felt Hyosung’s mood already lightened. He felt relieved when Hyosung turn over to him and gave him a warm smile before turning back again. “It’s alright. Apology accepted.”

 

 

     

◘•◘

 

방자,

                                              6 PM. Park. Princess is very tired. >_<

                                                                                                                                                공주

 

 

Kikwang placed back his phone on the pocket of his letterman jacket after reading her message. He had known Hyosung all too well that even without her text reminder, he would already be waiting at the park, their usual meeting place, with his bike beside him.

 

It had become his everyday routine. Every day, after their class, he would immediately come home, but to just change his clothes. While waiting, he would either go to a public library and read some comics, or sometimes hang out with his friends. He always had a curfew, and he could never hang out until 6PM. Not that his parents was being strict on him. It was because he must fulfill his duty as a princess’ servant when the clock strikes 6.

 

 

Several minutes later after he received the text message, Kikwang saw Hyosung walking towards the park. Indeed, she was tired, seeing the gloomy look on her face and her sluggish gait. Kikwang, acting on his impulse, immediately stood up from his bike and went towards her. Hyosung had probably spent the rest of her afternoon practicing for the performance. She was a perfectionist when it comes to her craft and that is another reason why the school body adored her so much.

 

Seeing her servant made her feel a bit relieved for some reason. She suddenly felt all giddy when she saw her loyal servant waiting for her as he had waited since 8 years ago. The game had come a long way and she was enjoying each moment of it. Like what she would usually do, Hyosung blessed her servant with an assuring smile as they came close to each other.

 

 

“Say it.” Hyosung said, anticipating and demanding something from her loyal servant that would utterly complete her day.

 

 

Like always, he would offer his right hand, as he folds his other hand behind him, and bow down a bit tp say the words that he had come to memorize at heart.

 

 

 

 

“I’ve come to pick you up, princess...”

 

 

 


 

A/N:: I managed to finish this chapter within this day (it's a record since I rarely finish a lengthy chapter in one day). This only contain a background about their relationship. The next chapters will also tell more of Hyosung and Kikwang's background stories before we actually go to the main plot.  I hope you do enjoy this cute little chapter. :)) Sorry for the grammatical errors. Since I was so excited on posting this one, I only proofread this once. ( i wanted to do it tomorrow so that I could proofread better but I wanted to post this tonight. XD) Please do comment if there are any errors, and I will willingly revise them. :))

Another thing is that I might add the other Secret members as minor characters. Nothing much, they'll only play a cameo role on the story, but I hope you will anticipate it as well. :))

Hope you enjoyed reading. See you on Chapter 2. :)