Unexpected twist

Shorties

 

 

You woke up to the sound of shuffling near the bed. Slowly opening your eyes, you see Mingyu dashing around the room trying to quickly dress up. 

 

You sighed, He probably forgot to turn on the alarm again.

 

Mingyu heard the bed shifting and turned to see you slowly hoisting yourself up from the bed. He gently smiled and walked over to where you were, then lightly caressed the side of your face. You leaned into his touch with a content sigh.

 

“Good morning, did you have a good sleep?”

 

You smiled and nuzzled the palm of his hand.

 

“I take that as a yes then.” He grinned, then glanced at the clock. 

 

“Oh sh-, I’m late.” He ran to the drawers, looking for a pair of socks and an extra shirt.

 

Mingyu is a baker at this bakery shop near a university for about a year now. He’s best friends with the owner of the shop, Wonwoo, who gave him the job because he knows that he has a passion for cooking, especially baking pastries. Mingyu is known to be always late for work so it’s no surprise that he’s late today. Good thing the owner knows him well enough to know that Mingyu and the word ‘early’ don’t go together, or else he would’ve been fired long ago. He does his job really well so that compensates for his lateness. 

 

Looking at the clock, you wondered if he still has time to walk with you to the park. 

 

“Okay, I still have 5 minutes to run to the bus stop and 15 minutes travel time from bus stop to university.” He huffed, “Hopefully there’s no traffic.” He looked at you for any reaction. You just blinked at him, still dazed from waking up.

 

He chuckled at your current state, “Well, I better get going. Don’t wreck anything while I’m gone alright?” Ruffling your hair, he walked out of the room after getting his bag. You heard the faint click of the door near the living room, signaling that he’s out of the apartment. 

 

After hearing the click, you slowly went by the window near his desk and looked out as you would always do after he left. He was definitely sprinting to the bus stop for sure. You continued to stare outside, looking at birds and other people walking down the street when you saw a couple walking their dog. You frowned as you saw how happy they were and that made you feel a bit jealous.

 

It’s been so long ever since Mingyu took you out. Before, the two of you would always go for walks, whether it be day or night, around the neighborhood or just simply to the convenience store. 

 

Your favorite place to go is the park. 

 

You loved hearing the sound of birds and squirrels, kids playing at the playground, jumping through leaves (especially during autumn season), and just feeling the cool breeze. 

 

Nowadays, Mingyu has been busy with his work. He always comes home late so he doesn’t have time to walk with you around anymore and always comes home tired from his job. Because of this, you take it upon yourself to make sure that you make him feel at ease after a hard day’s work. 

 

You didn’t mind being there for him and keeping him happy and comfortable because that’s what you’ve done for years, but there are times when you feel sad whenever he leaves you at home with nothing else to do other than wait for him to come back. There are times where you would stare at the door for hours, hoping he would be home early and hang out with you, yet you knew that that would never happen. 

 

But today;

 

 

Today was different.

 

 

After a few hours of staring outside by the window just looking at passing cars, you suddenly heard click outside. Your ears perked at the sudden sound and turned your head towards the slightly open bedroom door. Sensing that it might be an intruder, you slowly and quietly sauntered outside the bedroom and to the living room and hid behind the sofa. You readied yourself if ever the intruder decides to attack you once you charge at them. Hearing the doorknob turn, you silenced yourself.

 

“Hey I’m back!”

 

Am I hearing things, or was that Mingyu’s voice?

 

You tilted your head in confusion and took a peek from the sofa. You saw him standing by the door, removing his shoes. You were still skeptical whether this is really Mingyu or not, since Mingyu never came this early before, and cautiously walked over to him. You got a sniff of a familiar musky scent and knew for sure that this was Mingyu in front of you. 

 

Mingyu heard small footsteps getting closer to him and saw you walking towards him. With a grin, he outstretched his arms and gestured you to give him a hug. You ran towards him without question and pounced on him as he chuckled, kneeling down so both of you won’t collapse from the impact. “You didn’t think I’d be home this early, huh.” 

 

You were too preoccupied in snuggling the guy to even listen to what he said. 

 

Not that you understood what he said, of course. 

 

“Apparently, I forgot the store’s closed for the day because Wonwoo had to accompany his mom to the hospital for a check-up.” He smiled and patted your head, “Guess we have the whole day to ourselves now.”

 

He ruffled your hair and stood up, a mischievous smile forming on his lips.

 

“Wanna go for a walk?”

 

Finally.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You barked in approval.

 

 

 


 

A/N: Hehe. Didn't expect that, huh? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)