That Damn Song 1

Penguins and Bunnies

"I told myself I was over him but when I saw him with that orca of a cheerleader, I just...why can't he just get back with me? Mina-yah, why?"

 

Nayeon, who was in her senior year in high school curled up on the floor as she talked to her best friend on the phone, Mina.

 

The two first met when Mina moved to their school back in junior high. Nayeon found out that the girl was a transferee from Japan. It was in junior high when Nayeon went through her "I love everything Japan" phase because she found everything Japan-related to be cute so she expected Mina to be a complete ball of fluff.

 

But it was also in junior high when Mina went through her goth phase wherein everything she wore and everything she owned and bought had to be black. So Nayeon, who was expecting this Japanese girl to poop skittles and breathe cotton candy, was disappointed to say the least. She did, however, still befriended Mina because that's just how Nayeon was and that was what made Mina eventually fall for her.

 

They were already in their senior year but she still hasn't confessed. When she realized her feelings for Nayeon, so did half of the student population in their school. Nayeon started going out with the guys she thought she liked and she's dated three of them so far.

 

There was Jong-il, whose name would be the first one Mina would write on a death note if she gets her hands on one and also the first guy to make Nayeon cry. Because of him Nayeon could never listen to Utada Hikaru's "First Love" without bawling her eyes out which meant that Mina could never listen to it either since they're besties, or at least that's what Nayeon said. Although when Nayeon's not around, she would play it so loudly that their neighbors would complain and she'd get into trouble.

 

There's also Jong-un, who left a bad taste in Mina's mouth from the get-go. Everything about the guy, she deemed wrong. The hairstyle, the face, the way he dressed and even the way he walked. Because of the guy, she and Nayeon could not enjoy dancing to MBLAQ's "It's War" anymore and that was the first idol song the two of them learned to dance to when they were both got over their phases.

 

And then there's Joong-ki, the most recent guy who's dumped Nayeon. Unlike the other two, this one Mina genuinely liked for her. She liked him enough to not interfere and hide whatever she was feeling for her.

 

Everything about Joong-ki seemed to be perfect. He was good looking, smart with a good sense of humor and with a family background that most people would envy.

 

It has been 1 month since she got dumped but she still cries over something as silly as seeing somone with the same pair of socks as Joong-ki.Nayeon still says that she didn't know what went wrong but Mina knew exactly why.

 

"He's a lying, manipulative, cheating son of a who deserves to die in a fire. I swear if he ever goes to Nayeon again, I will ruin his pretty face so bad even Deadpool would look better. I am going to him up so bad for cheating on Nayeon. That motherfuc--"

 

Sana, a Japanese friend visiting Mina during their school break, giggled as she sat Mina down on a park bench to calm the raging girl down. "But tell me what you really think about the guy. Don't hold back," she said, sarcasm coating every word.

 

Mina was brought back to reality when she heard the loud sobbing and what she guessed to be ugly crying on the other line.

 

She was way too familiar with this and she's so close to personally going to all the radio stations to ask them to ban a particular song because it has become a trigger. Yet another song blacklisted because it reminded Nayeon of something or in this case, someone.

 

The song "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You" by George Benson was playing in the background as Nayeon, continued tp cry her eyes out, telling Mina how much he misses Joong-ki and his handsome smirk.

 

Ever since the break up, Nayeon would call her every time that song started playing and would proceed to pouring her heart out to her.

 

Mina had no other choice but to be the good friend that she is and listened to Nayeon saying the same thing over and over. She kept telling herself that she was going to confess to Nayeon once she's gotten over her exes but every time she thinks she's ready, Nayeon would tell her that she's dating someone else again.

 

She wished Nayeon didn't fall in love too often. No. Scratch that. She wished Nayeon didn't delude herself so much into thinking that she has fallen in love with the guys that ask her out.

 

She wondered if she should just tell Nayeon what she feels for her right then and there but doing that on the phone wouldn't be right.

 

"Nayeon-ah," Mina called out gently.

 

"Hmm?" she heard Nayeon blowing her nose in the background and thought it was nice of her to attempt to get that out of earshot.

 

"Let's go to the cafe near your house today. Is, uh...is that okay?"

 

Nayeon stood up and checked herself out in the mirror. "My face is swollen though and my eyes are all red from crying."

 

"I don't mind. In my eyes you're always beautiful...I mean, you know, it's the kind of stuff you say to those who are complete eye sores and who's pretty on the inside...kind of thing."

 

Mina pulled on her hair and mouthed "what the " as she tried to save herself from further embarrassment.

 

"Okaaay. I'll try to get my together and meet you there in thirty."

 

Mina's relieved that Nayeon accepted her invite but when she remembered why she asked her to meet up, she started panicking. She has finally mustered up enough courage to tell Nayeon what she feels but she hasn't really thought it through.

 

She decided that she'd better get ready first and to think just think about what she was going to say on her way there. When she got there, Nayeon was already waiting in their favorite booth but she still hasn't come up with the thing to say.

 

She sat down across her gaze automatically focused on the girl's lips. Nayeon's lipstick usually indicates what the girl was feeling and that moment she was wearing the $34 Christian Dior Rouge 999, the one that you asked your mom to buy for you but gave it to Nayeon as a present.

 

"I'll be having an Americano, a cheesecake and a strawberry trifle. You?" Nayeon looked up from her bag to Mina who still had her gaze fixed on Nayeon. "Earth to Myoui Mina."

 

"What?"

 

"I said I was--"

 

Nayeon was cut off by a familiar tune.

 

🎵If I had to live my life without you near me🎶

🎵The days would all be empty🎶

 

Mina glared at the innocent crew in the counter and looked back at Nayeon whos eyes were already getting teary.

 

"This was his parents' wedding song, you know."

 

"I know. You've been telling me that for the past month," she muttered inaudible for Nayeon not to hear.

 

"Wait a sec." Mina stood up and went to the cashier to ask the crew to change the station to which the crew gladly did for her. It's amazing how much a polite smile and pretty face could do when you're asking someone for a favor.

 

She went back to their booth toget money for their orders when the song played again. "Goddamn, do they not have other songs to play. Why won't you play Korean songs, Korea?"

 

Frustrated, she grabbed her phone and handed it over to the cashier. "Could you just please play the songs in my phone. Just until we leave? Please?"

 

The young staff who was probably in his junior year nodded his head but this time it wasn't because he fell victim to Mina's wonderful smile but because Mina was gritting her teeth and looked like she was about to murder someone.

 

"It's 2016. About time people have songs in their phones to play instead of tuning into these damn radio stations," she mumbled as she brought their orders to the table and a new started playing.

 

Nayeon has finally calmed down after she brought the food and her coffee. "Minari, are you gonna eat that?" Nayeon asked when she saw her holding a macaron.

 

The girl didn't even wait for her to answer and simply grabbed the macaron from Mina's hand. She took a bite and smiled. "Yum."

 

If Mina had any doubt if she should confess or not, that expression made it all disappear. She didn't want anyone else to be at the other end of that warm smile except her and only her.

 

Nayeon's eyebrows arched when she noticed Mina's unchanging expression. "Are you okay? You're extra quiet today? Are you going back to your goth phase again? Do we need to shop for black clothes again?"

 

"What? No.I...I want to tell you, no, I have to tell you something."

 

"What is it?" Mina took one deep breath and just when she was about to confess, the two of them and so did the rest of the people inside the cafe heard the voice of a girl clearing .

 

"Hi, Nayeon-ah. Remember when we went to a noraebang and I chose to sing this song?"

 

Mina, in a state of panic, stood up very abruptly. She was going to run to the counter and would push the old lady, who seemed like she's been walking towards her table for 42 years, out of her way just to get there faster but Nayeon was quick to grab her by her forearm.

 

"Yah, this is you."

 

Mina tried to pry off her hand but Nayeon would not let go.

 

"You said I sang it well and ever since then I've made up my mind that when the time comes and I finally get to confess to you. I'd sing you this song."

 

Nayeon was holding her forearm with both of her hands now and she found it impossible to get the grip off.

 

"Nayeon-ah, I just need to get my phone back."

 

"Confess what?"

 

Mina stared at her helplessly and when one of the staff walked past her she glared at him and with a voice that's unusually loud for Mina to be using, she exclaimed, "Turn that damn thing off or I swear to god I would burn this place down."

 

And with that threat in mind, he ordered the other staff in the counter to pull the plug from the phone. Nayeon finally let go of her and she sat back down.

 

She hung her head low and said, "I...it wasn't how I intended to let you know."

 

"Let me know what?" Mina stared at her in disbelief. How could she have ended up falling for this stupid girl?

 

"What I was trying to say was that I am, well, I have fallen--"

 

"Excuse me, ma'am?" Mina was cut off by the crew who just wanted to return her phone to her.

 

She slowly turned her head to face the crew and said, "I would say 'someone better be dying' but that someone is you. Run for your ing life."

 

The guy was so scared that he actually ran away and Mina found herself chasing after him. She didn't get too far because she tripped on the old lady's walking stick and if that wasn't bad enough, she hit her head on a corner of a table and got unconscious.

 

To be continued.

 

_______

lol sorry for the bad words (well not really because irl i do swear a lot) it's just hard to imagine mina swearing and i wanted to write a badass mina

and yes i made nayeon date the supreme leaders of north korea kim jong-il samchon and kim jog-un oppa and also song joong-ki because i have the dots fever. hence, the part with the phone and a recording playing..dots ftw hahaha

also nothing's gonna change my love for you will never sound the same to me again ebcause of that reply 19-something scene 

okay i'll continue writing part 2 now