That Damn Song 2

Penguins and Bunnies

Mina slowly opened her eyes and she felt like she's had one of those naps wherein you feel like you've been transported in another dimension and the year is 2403.

 

"Mina?"

 

She felt warm hands touching hers and when she looked to the side, she saw Nayeon looking at her with worried eyes.

 

"Does your head hurt?"

 

"A bit, yes." With her free hand she touched the part of her head that was aching and felt the bump that has formed.

 

"I've already called your parents. They're on their way."

 

She looked around and figured that she was inside a hospital. "Did you really have to bring me to the ER? Did I fall too hard?"

 

She heard someone chuckling. It was the worker from the cafe that she tried to chase. "You fell and was unconscious for a while. You got conscious after she," he pointed to Nayeon, "tried to wake you up by slapping you and that's when you told her that you're in love with her and that you--"

 

Nayeon cleared and glared at the guy. He took as his cue to leave.

 

"I have to go now or I'll get fired...or worse get beaten up by you two. Bye." He hurriedly left and Mina and Nayeon were left alone.

 

Mina was mentally punching herself. She couldn't remember what happened after she tripped and hit her head on a table. She looked at Nayeon who seemed to have her gaze fixed on their intertwined hands. "Di-did I really do that? What else did I say?"

 

As soon as she started talking, Nayeon carefully let go of her hand and took one step away from the hospital bed.

 

"Besides how much of an you think Joong-ki is? You pretty much just repeatedly said that you like me until we got you into the ambulance and you lost consciousness again."

 

Mina tried to read Nayeon's expression but it was exceptionally hard since the latter's hair was covering her face. She wanted to reach for it and tuck it behind her ear so she could take a look at herbut when she did, Nayeon took another step back. "Nayeon-ah..."

 

"We've been friends for so long and I just don't know what to feel about your confession or if I even want to believe it...because you did hit your head and maybe you just--"

 

"I don't know exactly what I said but if I told you that I think Joong-ki is a ing nugget son of a and that I like you and I've fallen for you, then I mean it. I meant every word. I do. I'm in love with you."

 

Nayeon finally looked up at her and Mina wished she didn't because it didn't take a genius to figure out what her expression meant. Nayeon didn't feel the same way for her. "Minari, I'm--"

 

She wasn't able to finish what she was going to say when Sana barged in. She wasn't exactly sure what Sana was saying because it was in Japanese and Nayeon's grasp in that language only goes as far as greeting somone but the girl seemed really angry, either that or she just normally talked with a loud voice.

 

"Mina, you idiot. How did this even happen? Are you okay? Do you know who I am?"

 

"Yes Minatozaki Sana aka friend with the longass name, I know who you are," Mina replied back in Japanese.

 

Sana saw Nayeon just standing there and greeted her using the limited Korean phrase that Mina taught her. The two went back to speaking in their native tongue and Nayeon thought she wasn't needed there anymore.

 

"Mina, I'll go ahead now. Get better."

 

Mina nodded and said goodbye to her without even looking at her. She didn't want to see the same expression that she saw earlier because it only made her heart ache.

 

"She's prettier in person. I never thought you'd have such good taste. Congrats."

 

"Congrats for what? She doesn't like me that way."

 

Sana stared at the gloomy-looking Mina and and pat her head. "You finally told her how you feel and she rejected you?"

 

"Yes. Well, she didn't say it directly but she might as well did."

 

Sana moved closer and embraced Mina. "It's going to be alright. I'm positive that you two would still go back to being friends. it's not like it would be awkward from here on out."

 

But that's exactly what happened. She didn't hear from Nayeon for the rest of their school break and she didn't dare contact her first. It's not that she didn't want to. She just can't. She didn't know what she'd say to her and she was dreading the awkward atmosphere that they might be in if she did try talking to her.

 

It was the first day of class after the school break and Mina wished she could have a valid excuse to not attend her classes. She considered faking a sickness but her dad would immediately find out the truth so she had no other choice.

 

Normally, she and Nayeon would wait for each other at the school entrance but since they haven't contacted each other and they don't know if the other has already arrived, Mina proceeded to go to their classroom.

 

When she got in, she noticed Nayeon was still not there. She was going to go back to the entrance to wait for Nayeon so she could maybe talk to her but seconds after she walked in, so did Nayeon.

 

Some of their classmates greeted the usually bubbly girl but Nayeon simply nodded in acknowledgment and took her seat. She put her hands on her desk and used it as a pillow. She stayed in that position until the teacher came.

 

It was time for lunch break and Nayeon and Mina would usually spend it eating at the cafeteria or going to the rooftop to eat their packed lunch. Mina has gathered enough courage to approach her but Nayeon didn't even give her a chance to greet her.

 

Nayeon stood up and hastily walked out of the room. Mina tried to figure out if the girl was angry and she was having a hard time because Nayeon was just stoic for the whole period and that wasn't like her at all. In fact, Mina has never seen Nayeon like this before.

 

Looking at the situation, Mina knew she only had two options: stand there and mope around or chase after Nayeon and ask her what she felt. She chose the second option and headed for the rooftop. She thought it would make more sense for Nayeon to go there and as it turned out, she was right.

 

Nayeon was in their spot, lunchbox untouched and staring into nothingness or that's what Mina thought. When she got closer, she was finally able to hear Nayeon's silent sobs.

 

Mina sat beside her and enveloped her in her arms the way Nayeon does every time she's the one who's crying. Mina waited for Nayeon to shove her away because she really thought Nayeon resented her but it didn't happen. Nayeon leaned on her instead and buried her face in Mina's hair while she held her tighter.

 

They stayed that away in what seemed like forever to Mina before Nayeon harshly pushed her away. "You asshat."

 

"What?" Mina was confused. She didn't know why she's suddenly being called a name. She didn't even know why Nayeon was angry in the first place.

 

"You tell me all that bull about falling in love with me and then you didn't even call for the rest of the break. You didn't even wait for me at the gates this morning."

 

"I thought--"

 

"Shut it. I saw you. You went straight to the building and you didn't even try waiting for me like you always do. Like we always do! That's how you treat someone after you tell them you like them, huh?"

 

Mina couldn't believe what she was hearing. Why was Nayeon getting mad at her when it was Mina who had all the right to be upset. "Well, what about you then? You didn't call me either."

 

"I didn't know what to say and I still don't know what to say to you now."

 

"It doesn't matter. You don't have to say anything. I get it. This is a one-sided thing and you'll never like me that way. I was foolish enough to think that I could confess to you and that if you'd reject me we could still go back to normal. Obviously not." Mina was about to stand up but before she knew it Nayeon has taken hold of her arm.

 

"For how long?"

 

"I started coming into terms with how I really feel about you when we went to that school trip and you got lost in the woods by yourself because you insisted you could find the herb that we needed for the food that we were making. I blamed myself for not going with you. I should've known you were going to get in trouble. You didn't even know how to properly use a knife."

 

"Goddamit, you guys are never gonna let that go," she heard Nayeon muttering.

 

"We couldn't find you for four hours and I was losing it. I was lashing out on everyone. After that trip, our adviser who I know was purposely making fun of my Korean and giving me bad grades for no reason, stopped doing all of that because he got scared of me. I do regret threatening to murder his pets." Mina sighed.

 

"I dind't know what I would do if something terrible happened to you back there and I started feeling this pain, physical pain right here," she pointed to her chest to where her heart is.

 

"I don't even know why or how that's possible because this thing just pumps out our blood but it really felt like it was breaking into pieces for every second that you've gone missing that day. That's when I realized that I didn't want to be just a friend to you. I wanted you to be the most significant person in my life and I wanted to be yours."

 

Nayeon remembered that day. In her pursuit to find the herb that they needed, she didn't notice that she's walked too far away from their camp site and she didn't know how to get back. It was Mina, looking like she's gone to war, who found her.

 

She didn't say anything except to call out Nayeon's name and hugged her tight, like she'd disappear if she didn't tighten her grip.

 

On the way back to the camp, Mina never let go of her hand and would steal a glance every few seconds.

 

"I've made a couple of attemps to tell you that but every time I just backed down because I got scared. Scared that this would happen. That you would reject me and tell me that you don't like me the same way that I like you and that we should just be friends. But of course, we could never be just friends. Imagine how awkward that would be. Imagine how hurt I would be every time you start talking about an ex or talking about someone else that you'd want to date. We can never be just friends. We will never be--"

 

"Then let's try being more than that."

 

"--just...wait, what? But back at the hospital you gave me this...this look that says 'I only think of you as a friend and now you've ruined it by saying that you love me.' That look."

 

Nayeon didn't remember giving her that look or giving her any kind of look at all. Yes, she was indeed surprised that Mina felt that way for her but that was it. She wouldn't have rejected Mina right then and there. "Mina, if I could agree to go out with other people then why would I reject you? Did you think it was love at first sight for me when I agreed to dating my exes?"

 

"Yes. Ouch!" Mina rubbed the spot on her arm that Nayeon hit. "You fall in love too often and too quick. I mean, you think you do."

 

"No, I don't. It's called infatuation. You know, crush. Then I eventually develop deeper feelings for them. I don't just fall in love in a snap of a finger."

 

Mina was confused to say the least. "How could you develop deeper feelings for Jong-un. He is very wrong in every aspect."

 

"He has his own charms," Nayeon tried to defend, "but yeah, he turned out to be a good for nothing disgusting pig."

 

"Wait. I'm confused now. I don't exactly remember what we're talking about. What was your point?"

 

It was Nayeon's turn to sigh. She finally let go of Mina's arms after she made them face each other. She held Mina by the shoulders and said, "If I were able to give those guys a chance and see where my infatuation for them would lead me to then why shouldn't I be able to do the same thing for you? I do fear that if it doesn't work out then we could both lose each other and that must be what you translated as a rejection but you're Myoui Mina."

 

Mina clearly didn't know what that meant and Nayeon could see confusion written on her face.

 

"It's not impossible for me to fall for you. I mean, I already like you as a friend. It really wouldn't be that hard for me to like you more than that. You're the one who comforts me when I'm upset, who makes me laugh when I'm in a bad mood. You ended up hurting yourself just so I wouldn't hear the stupid song that would remind me of my stupid ex."

 

Her hands dropped to Mina's lap to where the girl's hands were and she held it.

 

"What I'm saying is, it wouldn't be hard for me to fall for you. I think I'm already on my way there."

 

They stared at each other and Mina admired how the light was hitting Nayeon's face. She momentarily let go of Nayeon's hands to cradle the latter's soft cheeks, caressing it.

 

"This means you're giving me the chance to date you, right?"

 

"Mmhmm. Chance to show me that you could be more than my friend and that you could make me think of you as more than a friend."

 

Mina nodded her head in understanding. "We have two months before graduation so I just need to know how to manage how to get into a good university and at the same time make it my mission for you to fall for me. That's doable. I think it will be easy actually."

 

Nayeon raised an eyebrow and smiled. "Oh really?"

 

"Yes because I believe that I'm ing awesome."

 

Nayeon laughed and gently shoved her face away. "Good then. You have two months to get me completely over Joong-ki and to be head over heels for you."

 

"Whaaaat? How are you still not over him? He's a douchebag. Although he does have a killer smile that'll make other girls' drop but guess what?"

 

Nayeon tilted her head to the side and asked, "What?"

 

"So do I," Mina said in a sing-song voice, followed by a smile that Nayeon thought could rival Joong-ki's.

 

The bell rang indicating that lunch break is over and they have to return to class. Both of them stood up and decided that they're going to have to eat Nayeon's packed lunch on their way to the classroom. They ate the sandwich with one hand while they held hands while walking ith their free ones.

 

"You know, I'm risking not being able to listen to a ton of songs by giving you this chance, right?"

 

"Why?"

 

"Because if this doesn't work out, I don't think I'll ever listen to any song in my phone. They'll remind me of you especially that one Ariana Grande's song 'Almost Is Never Enough.' Did I get the title correctly?"

 

Mina stopped walking which made Nayeon halt as well.

 

"I hope you don't mind that I sent myself a copy from your phone. You sang really well, by the way and who knows maybe I'll ask a favor from the guys at our school's radio department and tell them to play it one of these days."

 

Mina glared at her. "You will do no such thing and if they ever do what you tell them to do. This school will hold a funeral for them."

 

Nayeon laughed and they started walking again. "Okay, okay. I'll keep your precious singing voice to myself but you have to tell me what you told or did to Jong-un that made him so scared of you."

 

"I don't remember doing or saying anything," Mina answered with a straight face but she did remember. She just didn't think it was important for Nayeon to find out.

 

"You're lying. I know you are."

 

They were about to enter the classroom when Nayeon pulled her and stole a quick kiss on her cheek. "I could do that more often but if you don't stop lying or stop keeping secrets from me, you are never gonna get any."

 

Nayeon smirked and went inside, leaving a dumbfounded Mina. It took her about three seconds to absorb what just happened. She then took her seat beside Nayeon and said, "I told Jong-un that every time he had a pizza delivered to their house, I would steal it and replace it with pizza made of clay if he didn't stay away from you."

 

She stared at Mina in disbelief and spent the rest of the period trying to hold in her laughter. No wonder Jong-un went the other way every time she sees him.

 

The End.

 

 

 

 

____

done lol. i hope i didn't disappoint and i think i am enjoying writing about minayeon. twice is just my source of happiness rn lmao they're pretty ing funny and everyone is just so pretty (which is i think kind of unfair they can't have both good looks and humor, can they?)

 

but anyways i'll keep on writing one-shot/two shots and multi-shots for now. i have a couple of plots in mind and i'll eventually choose one to make an on-going twice fic even though i still haven't finished  my snsd fic lol sorry

 

fyi i thought of this because of a convo that i eavesdropped on (accidentally) this song started playing and one nurse said a former nurse and a friend of theirs would call her every time that song played and would go emo on her because the song was his song for his ex-girlfriend haha i found it pretty funny so i wrote about it