How To Train Your Nayeon

Penguins and Bunnies

"Can I ask you something?" Mina pulled Nayeon, who was holding a plate full of spam, to the side.

 

Nayeon smiled, showing her bunny teeth that practically everyone adores. "Sure but make it quick. Momo, Jungyeon, Jihyo and I are going to play chubby bunny but with spam."

 

Mina didn't want to know. She certainly didn't want to witness it either. She was about to keep whatever it is that she wanted to say to herself when she saw how elated the older girl is but she's reached her tipping point. They started dating a month ago when Nayeon cornered her in their kitchen and confessed. Mina just got back from the Nexon building because she was asked to play with the new characters that the developers have recently released. She was squatting down in front of their tiny fridge, looking for anything that's edible, when someone grabbed her by the arm and the next thing she knew, Nayeon's arms have trapped her in the kitchen counter. "I like you. Date me."

 

Mina wasn't sure if she should take it seriously but she wasn't to blame. Who in the heck asks someone to date them like that? How was Mina supposed to react when this 21 year old girl in front of her asked her out in her cute voice that she uses every time they're asked to do aegyo? But despite the unconventional ways of the self-proclaimed "girl crush," Mina said yes. Nayeon just told her she likes her and she can't deny that the feeling was mutual.

 

Ever since they started doing "Sixteen," she has gotten closer to the bubbly girl. The show edited her out to be a but the members including her knew better. Mina started seeing her in a different light when they were given a group mission and the two of them were in a team with two other girls. The pressure of doing well got to Mina and Nayeon was there to tell her that it would be okay, that they will get through it. Nothing much changed when the two started dating save for Nayeon being extra touchy, sneaking in a few kisses when the others aren't looking and Mina is sure that she's learned that from Momo. From what she's heard from Sana, Momo acts like a hormonal teenage boy and Sana is still trying to instill the art of being discreet to her but the blonde's having a hard time absorbing it.

 

Lately though when they're all gathered in the living room, she would sit and stare at the four oldest members of the group namely, Nayeon, Jungyeon, Jihyo and Momo and most of the time they'd be doing something so utterly idiotic that Mina was so sure one of them would end up spending the night in the ER. This gives Mina tremendous amount of stress.

 

Just last week, their manager picked them up after he's played a round of shooting paintballs with the other managers from the company. The curious four had the bright idea of borrowing it because they wanted to try shooting things with it which they did. Tzuyu's poor plush puppy was the only casualty. It was all fun and games but Nayeon, the eldest, suggested they played Mafia and level it up using the paintball gun. They settled it with a vote and as expected the four eldest voted yes while Dahyun, Chaeyoung, Sana and Mina voted no. Tzuyu was the deciding vote and she wanted so bad to take revenge for her favorite plush toy. The paintball gun somehow ended on Sana's hands and she was being accused of being the mafia. Things got so heated that Mina swore Nayeon would've gotten shot on the face. It was one of those rare times that they were thankful Sana was dating Momo. If it wasn't for Momo handling things calmly, it would have rained paint balls inside their dorm. "Are you sure that's a good idea? Someone could seriously choke and die."

 

Nayeon chuckled and put her free arm around Mina's waist.

 

"You're cute when you worry but we're grown women, we can handle a game of chubby bunny."

 

"Exactly. You're a grown woman. You're the eldest but your idea of having a good time is wasting spam and trying to put in as much spam in your mouth at once."

 

"Let's give credit where credit is due. This is Momo's idea. Don't be such a worrywart. Besides, if I choke I know you'd be there to do the Heinz maneuver on me and we'd probably end up making out."

 

Mina squinted her eyes so hard she could barely see the idiotic grin on her girlfriend's face. She knows they aren't the smartest idols but she didn't know Nayeon was capable of displaying such stupidity. "It's 'Heimlich' and you don't perform it like how you'd perform a CPR. Heinz is the ketchup brand that I like and honestly dating a ketchup seems very appealing now," Mina mumbling the last part.

 

"Well whatever no one has to perform some Hendrick maneuver because no one is going to choke. We got this." Nayeon cooly walked away and Mina's just had enough. She wasn't going to stop the four morons.

 

Luckily, no one choked and died that night but the living room was one hell of a mess and their supply of spam was gone just like that.

 

 

---

 

 

 

"Hi, Mina-unnie. Are you okay?"

 

"Yeah, why are you smothering your face with a pillow? Is this suicide? That's not very effective."

 

Mina sat up and stared at Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. The ride back home was already unbearable, she didn't need another round of crazy talk especially when Tzuyu is involved. She wasn't sure if it's because both of them aren't good Korean speakers but she finds Tzuyu's random ramblings to be very confusing. "I'm just tired. Why aren't you two in your room?"

 

"We're going to play Mafia again."

 

"With a tazer this time."

 

Mina faced the wall and was about to bang her head repeatedly when she heard the two youngest members snickering.

 

"We're kidding. We were just about to watch a horror movie and Nayeon-unnie told us to get you. The scaredy cat can't watch it but we're making her because she lost a bet."

 

Chaeyoung nodded and added, "We told her it's not going to make a difference because you're as big a whimp as she is which is totally weird because you're like...from Japan and your people has Sadako and Juno and...but anyways, she says she needs you."

 

"You two are probably the last people I should ask about this but is this what dating is supposed to be like? She never listens to me. It's like she does all these stupid things to make me worry and she expects me to just run to her side when she 'needs' me?"

 

"Sounds to me like you're heading straight to Splitsville."

 

Ittook Tzuyu approximately 6 seconds to get what Chaeyoung meant. "Aww, no. You and Nayeon-unnie look good together. We'll help."

 

"Help? How?"

 

"We're not quite sure yet but we'll make sure that by the end of this, Nayeon-unnie would be a well-behaved individual and a decent enough girlfriend that you'd be proud to introduce to your parents."

 

Chaeyoung was not sure why she's letting Tzuyu dragged her in this but she nodded and smiled, showing her cute dimple that the older members could only dream of having.

 

Mina, on the other hand, could not help but be suspicious. This was Tzuyu who's talking. The sweet maknae who transforms into the spawn of satan whenever she's in the mood. "That's a very nice offer and your flowery words make it more tempting, Tzuyu, but no thanks."

 

"Oh come on. We know you like each other a lot. You can't just let go of it like that. We'll help you train Nayeon-unnie."

 

"Tzuyu, she's not a pet that needs to be trained."

 

"'Groom' her? Is that a better term."

 

"No. She's not a dog and if I have to change her to continue dating her then it's better for us to end this now."

 

"You're not gonna change her," said Chaeyoung, "you're just gonna make her realize that if she's serious about you, she needs to stop dicking around and stop acting like a child that needs a babysitter."

 

Tzuyu and Mina stared at her and she knew it was because of her poor choice of words but to hell with that. She's already dragged into whatever this is so she and Tzuyu need to deliver.

 

"How are you planning to do that?"

 

Tzuyu and Chaeyoung looked at each other and it was the oldest of the two who answered, "Honestly, we don't know yet but as soon as we figure out something, we'll get back to you."

 

Tzuyu nodded in agreement. "But for now you need to go out and pacify the already freaked out Nayeon-unnie. She might start clinging to Momo because you're not there."

 

Mina stood up and giggled. "She won't. Sana's going to kill her. Sana will kill them both."

 

 

---

 

 

"Ignore her? That's it? That's the great plan you two have come up with in a week? I could have thought of that myself." Mina sat up and removed the blanket that was covering her leg. She was quietly listening to songs that were saved in her phone when the two maknaes walked in and told her their "genius" plan.

 

"Why didn't you?"

 

"Because we're talking about Nayeon-unnie. Try resisting her when she starts clinging onto you like a koala to a eucalyptus tree. Try ignoring her once she starts nibbling on your earlobe and plays with it with her..." she stopped talking when she remembered that the girls in front of her were minors.

 

"You were saying, unnie?" Tzuyu stared at her with a mischievous smile.

 

"What if she takes it the wrong way and instead of stopping all the stupid stuff she does with the others, she continues doing even more dangerous ?"

 

"Well, yes. That is a possibility but we'e trying to stay positive, unnie. Here she comes. Try to contain yourself." Tzuyu and Chaeyoung tried to act casually and moved to Jihyo's bed.

 

Nayeon came in practically dragging her tired feet. "I'm exhausted. I cannot keep up with Momo and Jungyeon. How could they even work out that much?"

 

"You're a grandma, Nayeon-unnie." Nayeon stared at the two who were giggling and hiding their faces under the blanket. "Why are you two here? This is the adults' room. Go back to your room, kids."

 

"We're waiting for Jihyo-unnie," Chaeyoung lied. "She went to the grocery store to buy snacks with Sana-unnie."

 

"Go wait for her outside," Nayeon said as she tried to occupy Mina's bed and squeeze herself beside the younger girl. "Minari," she called out in a sweet tone, "were you sleeping the whole day?"

 

As a matter of fact, she was. The only time she got out of bed was when she had to use the bathroom and when she got hungry. Nayeon has finally succeeded in lying down next to Mina despite the latter's silent protest.

 

The two girls on Jihyo's bed were snickering as they watched Mina fail miserably in trying to ignore Nayeon. They've come to the realization that out of all the girls they're living with, Nayeon was the most persistent one. She'll never really stop trying to get someone's attention. Nayeon continued calling out Mina's name while Mina tried her best not to respond. She eventually lost all thoughts of ignoring the older girl when Nayeon started latching onto her arm and nuzzling her neck.

 

"Unnie." Mina didn't mean for it to come out as a whine but for it to sound like a solid protest but of course, she failed in that.

 

Tzuyu and Chaeyoung could barely hold in their laughter so they exited the room without Nayeon even noticing. The two of them pretty much set their Mina-unnie for failure but thought it'd be entertaining to watch. "No wonder Nayeon-unnie acts like a spoiled chat in front of Mina-unnie. If that were me, I'd take advantage of how Mina-unnie couldn't resist me, too."

 

"You are seriously the spawn of satan, Tzuyu."

 

Mina spent the rest of the week trying her very best to not pay attention to Nayeon even though it kills her every time and she eventually gives in.

 

Tzuyu and Chaeyoung would always be on the sidelines, cheering her on but she thinks they're just secretly enjoying it that Nayeon doesn't immediately get what she wants and that Mina eventually fails.

 

"I think she's finally getting the hint," Mina silently said as she sat between the youngest ones. The group had a scheduled shoot for yet another endorsement that they've recently booked.

 

"How could you tell?"

 

"Well, she still does stupid stuff and bet on non-sense things with Jungyeon-unnie and Momo-unnie but this past week whenever we go out to buy food and she wants to buy something but I tell her not to, she actually puts it back herself."

 

Chaeyoung remembered how hard it was filming an episode of their own reality show with Nayeon in their team. The oldest threw random snacks on their cart and the rest of them had to put it back to where she got it from because they didn't really need them. "Maybe you need to do more than just ignoring her when she's being stubborn," Chaeyoung suggested and the Tzuyu's brain went into overdrive. "

 

"Why don't you make her jealous? Don't give her any attention and give that attention to someone else instead."

 

"Tzuyu, you're an evil genius. Mina-unnie, you should totally do that."

 

The trio saw Nayeon approaching them and Tzuyu and Chaeyoung instructed the older girl to act as if she was fascinated by whatever the maknaes were doing. Chaeyoung was sprouting random comments about her shoes and Mina and Tzuyu pretended like it was as amusing as seeing Nayeon use the wrong side of the knife in cutting strawberries.

 

"What are you guys doing?" The girls pretended not to hear her and continued with the act.

 

"Mina. Minari. Yah."

 

Mina finally looked at her and immediately regretted it. She bit her lip, trying hard not to smile at the all too familiar expression on Nayeon's face, the puffed up cheeks and pouting lips. "What is it?"

 

"What are you guys doing?"

 

"Nothing. Just talking about...stuff." Mina then went back to talking about the most random things to Tzuyu and Chaeyoung and the two gladly played pretend. "You know what, we're actually going get ice cream while it's not our turn to shoot so, uh, see you later."

 

Mina stood up quickly and pulled Tzuyu and Chaeyoung with her.

 

"Why can't I go with you?"

 

"Because..." she looked at the two, silently asking them to help her with an excuse but the help came from one of the staff when they called Nayeon to start filming again. "That's why. We're going now."

 

"Can't you at least get me one?" Nayeon made it extremely hard for Mina to say no,using the cutest expression she has on her arsenal as per usual. Thanks to the maknaes though because they've convinced her not to bring back anything for Nayeon. It was for her own sake, they said.

 

So when they got back to the set where a hungry Nayeon was expecting that she'd get a treat, Mina had to say, "Oh sorry we forgot and we've already eaten everything we bought on our way back."

 

Mina hid away from her as soon as she could because a dejected-looking Nayeon is as hard to resist as a persistent Nayeon.

 

 

---

 

 

"I need a progress report, unnie," Tzuyu stated like some sort of a military personnel and it made Mina crack up even though she was in a real bad mood and it was only two in the afternoon.

 

Earlier that day, she overheard Nayeon, Jihyo and Jungyeon talking about what they wanted to do that day considering that they were given a free time a few days before their comeback.

 

Nayeon suggested that they spend the day going around the city, looking for good places to eat at. "We should show our foreign members more good food to eat. Momo needs to stop eating jokbal plus Mina really enjoys tasting Korean food that she hasn't tried before."

 

Mina smiled at the fact that Nayeon really considered what she'd like to do but that was thrown out of the window when Jungyeon and Jihyo coaxed her into agreeing to do something that Mina would not, in this lifetime or the next, allow her to do.

 

"We'll play at the arcade and whoever gets the least amount of tickets within two hours is gonna go bungee jumping," Jihyo suggested and Jungyeon immediately "called" on it.

 

Mina was telling herself that Nayeon would not be that stupid to take on the bet. She was banking on her scaredycat girlfriend to say hell no to it and she really didn't know what the older girl was thinking when she did the opposite.

 

"Alright. I'm good at playing any games in the arcade so don't expect me to be losing this bet. You guys need to prepare to bungee jump."

 

All she wanted to do right then was to slap some sense into Nayeon but she didn't. She holed up in the maknaes' room instead and here she was, on Tzuyu's bed, complaining on the youngest about how she thought she was making actual progress with Nayeon but in reality, all that she did the past couple of weeks were for nothing. Nayeon still didn't listen to her and she still was inconsiderate about Mina's feelings.

 

"That's it. I'm tired of spending all my time worrying about her when she does these things. Does she think I don't stress out when she loses a bet and has to suffer the consequences of losing that bet? Not to mention the fact that she always does it with Jihyo-unnie and Jungyeon-unnie who seem to enjoy tormenting her the most. I can't deal with it anymore. I give up."

 

Tzuyu could hear the frustration in Mina's voice and as much as she enjoys watching Nayeon get the punishments every she time she loses a bet, which is 90% of the time, she feels bad that her Mina-unnie could be getting wrinkles from worrying too much. "Maybe you just need to up the ante a bit more."

 

"What else is there to do?" Tzuyu explained to her the plan and at first she thought the younger girl was just being crazy but when she told Mina that Jihyo and Jungyeon would be in on it, she's come to the realization that Chayeoung was indeed right when she said Tzuyu was an evil genius.

 

The two went to the living room only to see Jungyeon, Jihyo and Nayeon talking to Sana and Momo.

 

"Sana will be my white knight if I lose." Momo looked at Nayeon and said, "You won't have someone to do the punishment for you because Mina's just as scared of heights as I am. Good luck, unnie." Momo grinned and hid behind Sana when Nayeon tried to hit her with the comb that she was holding.

 

That made Mina feel worse because she knows that when Nayeon agrees to do something idiotic, all she could do is worry for her. She sometimes wishes she has half of Sana's bravery so she could at least help Nayeon get out of trouble.

 

"What are you all up to?" Tzuyu asked even though she already knew what they were discussing about.

 

"We made a bet that whoever gets the least amount of tickets at the arcade today will do bungee jumping. Do you want to join us?"

 

"Sure," Mina said, full of conviction.

 

"No, thank you. I'm not really good at playing and if I lose I would have to go bungee jumping which I refuse to do because if the string snaps, I would die. I'm not really ready to die. I'm way too young. You have lived twenty years of your lives but I've only lived for seventeen years."

 

While everyone else was trying to figure out what Tzuyu just said, Nayeon stared at Mina with a gaping mouth. "Mina-yah, did you hear what you just said?"

 

Mina simply nodded and retreated back to their room to prepare to leave.

 

Nayeon walked over to where the other girls are. "Tell me I heard it wrong and she did not just join this bet."

 

Momo put an arm around her and said, "It's not like she'd lose."

 

But of course, Momo didn't know what Tzuyu and Mina planned on doing.

 

When they got to the arcade, the girls didn't waste any time and started playing since they've only got two hours. The ones who aren't afraid to go bungee jumping simply took their time and just enjoyed the games that were in there while Nayeon and Momo, despite having Sana as her white knight, played like their lives depended on it. Mina, on the other hand, was splitting the tickets that she gets to Jungyeon and Jihyo. The two of them were let in on their plan on their way to the arcade so now the chances of either of them losing decreases.

 

Two hours have passed and they all met up in the entrance to determine who has the least amount of tickets. Jungyeon came in first with Momo being the second, Nayeon in third place and Jihyo in fourth while Mina was in last place as planned. Seconds ago

 

Nayeon was celebrating because she wasn't in last place but when she realized that Mina would be doing the punishment, her mood immediately did a 180. "Yah, how is that even possible? You're the best when it comes to playing games like these. You're gamer Mina!"

 

Mina simply shrugged. "Bad luck I guess and I sometimes forget to get the tickets from the machine."

 

"Let's go get them then. You could still beat Jihyo." She held Mina's hands and tried to pull her but she was stopped by the others.

 

The others who knew what was happening were trying to hold in their laughter. "We should head to Yuldong Park now to get the punishment over with," said Jungyeon.

 

"Yeah they close at 5 pm too," Jihyo added as the two of them pulled Mina to ride in the same car as they do with Sana and Momo in it.

 

Nayeon, despite her protest, was forced to ride with Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. Both girls have been informed of the plan as well.

 

As soon as they arrived to the park, Nayeon ran to Mina's side and latched onto her arm. "Mina-yah, you could just tell them you're not going to do it. Let Sana and the others who want to try doing it do it themselves. We could talk to Jihyo and Jungyeon. This is their idea anyway."

 

"I lost the bet though. It would be pointless if I didn't do the punishment."

 

"Yah! It was a pointless bet why do you have to do the punishment? You could just tell them you can't do it because you're scared of heights. you couldn't even ride a roller coaster and you were scared to death riding something that was intended for kids."

 

Mina, along with Sana, Jungyeon and Chaeyoung had their harnesses put on for them and they waited for the elevator while Nayeon continued to protest. "Jungyeon-ah, Mina doesn't have to jump if she's too scared, right?"

 

"She lost the bet, she has to do the punishment or you could be her white knight and do it for her."

 

"I worked my off so I didn't have to lose and do the damn punishment because I'm too scared! How can you expect me to do that?"

 

"Then there's no other way to it. She has to do the punishment."

 

"She has to jump, Nayeon-unnie," Chaeyoung said as she bit her inside of her cheek so she could prevent herself from laughing.

 

Mina once again nonchalantly shrugged her shoulders. "I have to jump." The elevator doors opened and as much as Nayeon didn't want to get in, she had no other choice. She was going to do everything she could to convince Mina not to jump and convince the others to not make her jump.

 

"Mina-yah...Minari, you really don't have to do this. Let's go down now and buy ice cream with the others."

 

"I don't understand why you have a problem with me doing this. It's my choice. I decided to join that bet, I lost and now I have to do this punishment that I was well aware of."

 

When they reached the top, Mina walked out of the elevator leaving Nayeon out of words. Before the doors closed on her, she got our and was about to chase after Mina but stopped when she realized how high up they were. "Yah! Why is this too high?"

 

"Unnie, we didn't even ask you to come up here. Go down quickly if you're that scared."

 

Nayeon glared at Jungyeon and slowly made her way to where Mina was, trying not to look down. "Mina, come on. Don't do this. I know you're scared. I don't even know why you'd put yourself through this. When have you suddenly become an adrenaline junkie, huh? Let's go down. I'm sure they won't force you to jump if you really can't do it."

 

"Nayeon-unnie--"

 

"I don't even kow why you're trying so hard to pretend that you're not scared and that you can do this. You could pretend that you're not worried for yourself but what about me? Can't you see how worried I am for you? What would I do if something goes wrong? It doesn't even matter if it's water that you'd fall into. you'd still get hurt and you could even di-- I don't even want to imagine that. Why are you making me worry like this?"

 

Mina looked at her straight in the eyes. "So now you know how I feel."

 

Nayeon was once again left tongue-tied. "Do you think I enjoy being in that position? Where I worry every time you make these stupid bets that I know, you know, we all know you'd lose and you'd end up doing these punishments that would stress me out because you could only hurt yourself. I worry, too but you still do them every damn time! You don't even stop and consider how I would feel."

 

It was then that Nayeon realized that Mina was right. She's ignored Mina's worried voice every time she's told her to not agree on a bet that she knows she'd lose. She's disregarded Mina's worried stares when she's about to do the punishment that she's been given.

 

She held Mina's hand and pulled her towards the elevator. Once they were inside, she hugged the younger girl and the latter wrapped her arms around Nayeon's shoulder. Nayeon could feel her shirt getting damped and she was amazed at the fact that even when crying Mina doesn't make that much sound.

 

"I'm sorry," Nayeon whispered. "I guess I really am an idiot." She swore she heard her say "You are" but Nayeon was going to let that slide. "I didn't mean for you to worry every time I got myself into trouble. I'm sorry I'm such a kid."

 

She pulled away from Mina but cradled her face gently in her hands while she wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Forgive me?"

 

"Like I'd be able to stay mad at you forever." Mina hugged her again.

 

"Yah, you didn't have to go overboard and jump from that high though. Were you really gonna do it?"

 

Mina felt silly that she was literally crying seconds ago and now she's trying to contain her laughter. "Of course, not. All the girls knew, except you, that this was all a set up to make you realize that you needed to stop getting yourself in unnecessary trouble."

 

"So...you really had no intention to jump?"

 

"Are you kidding? How was I supposed to jump when being on that platform already turned my legs into spaghetti. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when we got to the top."

 

"So this was all pretend?" Nayeon asked, still not fully grasping the situation.

 

"Yes. I even gave away my tickets so I'd lose. Did you really think I would tank on playing in the arcade? Please."

 

"Wait, you planned all of this?" Mina could only shake her head at how slow Nayeon is.

 

"Yes with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. Remember last week when i barely talked to you? That was also part of the plan to make you stop doing bets."

 

"I am gonna get those two!"

 

 

---

 

 

Later that evening, Nayeon insisted on sharing Mina's bed with her. "I still cannot believe you connived with Tzuyu and Chaeyoung to do that."

 

"I was so close to breaking up with you, you know. You should be thanking them."

 

"Was I really that bad?"

 

"You don't think that the constant worrying that I go through when you do something that could put you in danger is bad?"

 

Nayeon sighed. "I'm sorry."

 

"Do you promise not to do it anymore?"

 

"Well..."

 

Before Nayeon could finish what she was saying, she was interrupted with Sana barging into their room. "Where's that paintball gun? I need it."

 

"We've returned it to Joonkil-oppa. Why?"

 

"I'm going to shoot Momo in the face with it." She walked out of the room and Nayeon and Mina didn't want to know which alternative she'd use to seriously injure Momo.

 

"You know maybe you, Tzuyu and Chaeyoung should help Sana with Momo."

 

Mina wrapped an arm around Nayeon's waist and held her tighter. "I think I'd stay out of it. I was too scared to go bungee jumping. What makes you think I can handle Sana's wrath if something goes wrong?"

 

The End.

 

 

________

TADA! my first twice and minayeon fic lol it's still the 24th of march here so i did not fail in trying to post this during mina's bday. i'm sorry if this is a fail one-shot though just wrote whatever i could write lol

 

it's so hard to edit on a phone wtf