Chapter 1

Sentimental

Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are always seen together. Whether they join the same clubs, go to the same parties, or attend the same events, they would always be there together, side by side. It became such a normal occurrence that it was considered weird seeing one without the other.

 

The two had met during freshmen year of high school at the first meeting of choir auditions. Chanyeol had meant to join the band club but stayed throughout the entire audition, because he had met the most “funniest guy, even though he was really quiet, he’s really cute and had the voice of an angel." They hit it off after that and continued to meet even though Chanyeol had been rejected from the choir (though they did compliment his lovely baritone voice) and joined band club a few days after. Now they are seniors, friendship still as strong as ever.

 

Chanyeol isn’t sure when their friendship had looked different to other people but slowly began to notice when his friends started leaving him and Kyungsoo alone together on multiple occasions. They would all be eating lunch together but suddenly one of them would say they had to go to the library and then the rest of them would ask to come with and all would leave one by one. Or they would be walking to a place as a group but each friend would slowly fall back and Chanyeol wouldn't really notice until he looks up from his deeply engrossed conversations with Kyungsoo to see all their friends 20 feet behind them. Chanyeol didn’t really think much of it until Kyungsoo had pointed out that maybe they wanted them to have some alone time. Chanyeol shrugged at that. He didn't mind alone time with Kyungsoo at all so they weren't exactly wrong. 

 

The second time Chanyeol noticed something weird was when his other best friend Baekhyun would always give him this knowing smile. He would be feeding Kyungsoo his favorite kimbap and ing Byun Baekhyun would be sitting there with the smuggest looking grin. Chanyeol would always feel flustered without having any reason why.

 

But hearing Kyungsoo, with his mouth full of food, give him a muffled thanks would just make Chanyeol smile happily and forget Baekhyun was ever being a creep.

 

The biggest clue Chanyeol got was when prom rolled around. He was just casually in the library going over his note cards for his presentation next period when Baekhyun showed up with two tickets.

 

Chanyeol looked up at Baekhyun incredulously and had started stuttering. “I-I don’t know what to say. Um…I didn’t think you’d ask-“

 

“Please, shut up if you know what’s good for you.” Chanyeol just scrunches his nose because what a rude way to ask someone to prom when Baekhyun rolls his eyes and shoves the tickets into his hands.

 

“Think of it as an early birthday gift, Park. Kyungsoo’ll be happy.”

 

“Kyungsoo?” Now, Chanyeol was really confused. “What does he have to-“ but Baekhyun just shouts out a ‘see you later!’ and walks right out of the library. The taller just shakes his head and shoves the tickets into his pocket, prom already forgotten in his head.

 

He heads to Kyungsoo’s locker afterschool as they had that hangout they planned a week before and looks down at his phone as he waits for the smaller to arrive. Kyungsoo shows up a few minutes later with a breathless smile, that Chanyeol always finds so pleasant to look at. Chanyeol eyes the rings he bought Kyungsoo for his birthday looking so nice on Kyungsoo’s fingers.

 

He unconsciously tugs at the matching ones on his own fingers as Kyungsoo finishes stuffing his books and turns to him with a bounce in his steps.
 

“Okay, let’s go.”

 

They were halfway to the coffee shop when Chanyeol suddenly remembers the tickets in his pocket.

 

He still wondered why Baekhyun assumed he would ask Kyungsoo to prom. Did he ever mention he wanted to ask him? Kyungsoo never really brought up prom so Chanyeol wasn’t sure if he wanted to go-especially with him.

 

Or maybe Kyungsoo hinted something to Baekhyun and that’s why the other brought his name up?

 

He decides he will just ask Kyungsoo about it later. 

 

When they leave the coffee shop it’s already dark and Kyungsoo’s walking Chanyeol back to his apartment first since Kyungsoo lives on campus.

 

Chanyeol’s not sure why he’s suddenly feeling so nervous and sweaty, because this is just Kyungsoo, bestest buddy in the world Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo is comfort.

But the tickets start feeling so, so heavy in his pocket and that's how one of them ends up shoved into Kyungsoo's hand, due to Chanyeol hastily taking it out to get it out of the way.

 

Kyungsoo looks surprised but also there's a gleam in his eye as he eyes the ticket in his hand. Before he could speak however Chanyeol interrupts. 

 

“Wasn’t sure if you were planning on going….but do you want to? I mean just as friends!” Chanyeol clarifies. Kyungsoo stiffens. Chanyeol’s not sure if he’s imagining it but he sees a slight downward turn of his lips before they stretch up. His smile even looks a little forced. It’s the smile he uses for class presentations or the polite one for teachers but never one he uses for Chanyeol.

 

“Oh. Yeah sure thing. Sounds great.” Kyungsoo doesn’t say much after that. They both stand there, just standing, and it's so awkward. The most awkward Chanyeol has felt around Kyungsoo in all the years he's known him, even that one time Kyungsoo spilled chili sauce right over his crotch and both had instinctively tried patting it down with wet napkins. Kyungsoo only mutters a soft ‘goodnight’ and starts heading off back to his own place. Chanyeol’s not sure why his heart still feels so unsettled even after Kyungsoo had technically said yes (he did take the ticket after all) but he didn’t think much of it as he went to bed.

 

The next morning felt more tense than usual. He meets up with Kyungsoo in the morning but the shorter hasn’t said more than a few words to him. Kyungsoo has always been quiet but now he’s quiet and not attentive. Chanyeol’s pretty sure he hasn’t been listening to him for quite a long time so he just shuts up and sits there dejectedly.

 

Later in the day at lunch period he sees Baekhyun walking towards him. He’s about to greet with a bright hello when the boy whacks him on the side of his head.

 

“Ow! What the , Baek? Geez,” Chanyeol mutters rubbing his injured head.

 

“Why would you say you wanted to go to prom with Kyungsoo as friends?”

 

“UM…cause we are?”

 

“What?!!”

 

CHanyeol almost wanted to stay zip because he feels like he’s treading on thin ice right now.

 

“I don’t understand, why is everyone mad at me?” Chanyeol pouts. Baekhyun doesn't fall for it.

 

“Chanyeol, aren’t you and Kyungsoo dating?” Long limbs go flailing as his body almost falls from the bench. 

 

“WHAT?”