LOVE

Code 543

Location: Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s House
Time: February, 2048

“Are you sure you can handle everything?” Baekhyun asked nervously. “Relax Baek, I’ve got this,” Sehun said reassuringly. “But there are five this time.” Sehun chuckled, “I can count. We will be fine,” he assured. “Okay, just please remember to give the twins a bath. Dohyun can stay up until 10:30 pm and Hayoon can have her boyfriend over but absolutely do not let him upstairs. Jia will be in her room most of the night working on a project. Emergency numbers are on the fridge and there is chicken, rice, and kimchi stored in the fridge.” “Baek-” Sehun warned, “Will you stop worrying and get out of here!”

Baekhyun offered him a worried smile. “Everything will be okay. Just go out and have some fun with your husband. You both need it.” Baekhyun nodded, picking up his suit jacket and putting it on. “Thank you,” he said with a smile. They both walked downstairs into the kitchen only to be met with wolf-whistles. “Well hello! Someone is looking spiffy,” Dohyun teased. “Someone is hoping to get laid tonight,” Jia added in amusement. “Gross!” Dohyun and Hayoon chimed in together. “Thanks for that sis,” Dohyun added, “But they’re way past their days now. They could break a hip or something.”

“I’ll have you know that I’m actually still very flexible,” a deep voice replied from behind Baekhyun, “as your father can confirm from just this past week.” Baekhyun choked on a laugh as Chanyeol’s arms squeezed his waist from behind. “Ewww!!” their three eldest blurted out in unison. Chanyeol chuckled lightly into Baekhyun’s ear, “Got them all in one swoop,” he whispered. Baekhyun snickered and reached his head back to grab Chanyeol’s lips into a kiss. “Mmm,” Chanyeol hummed, “you smell delicious.” Baekhyun offered him a smile as his heart started beating faster at the sight of Chanyeol’s attire.

Chanyeol was wearing a black tuxedo with a red shirt and black bow tie. “You look so y,” Baekhyun murmured back, pressing another kiss to Chanyeol’s mouth. “Ready to go?” Chanyeol asked teasingly. Baekhyun nodded with a grin as they all exchanged hugs with their three eldest and Sehun. They picked up their overnight bags at the front door and headed out to the car.

“Do you think the kids were a little bit eager to get rid of us?” Baekhyun asked innocently. Chanyeol laughed, “Yes. Because Sehun is a pushover and they know it.” “Maybe I should call a sitter,” Baekhyun said, reaching for his phone. “Babe, they will be fine. Don’t worry! This weekend is about us, got it?” Baekhyun smiled softly and sighed, “Okay, you’re right, I’m sorry.” Chanyeol smiled back and leaned across the gear shift to kiss Baekhyun’s cheek lightly before whispering, “Just you and me – alone – for one night.”

----------------

The Hyatt Regency Jeju had set up a private table in their suite so that Chanyeol and Baekhyun could be cozy and enjoy themselves in a private space without any interruptions from their fans. The table was covered in white lace linen with rose petals and candles. The lighting had been dimmed, offering an aesthetic view out of their window that overlooked the ocean. Baekhyun couldn’t help but stare at Chanyeol over the top of his menu.

Even in his late fifties, Chanyeol was still unbelievably handsome despite the signs of growing age. It was a strange thing for Baekhyun to be thinking about since a year ago he would have given his life to see Chanyeol as healthy and as happy as he was in that moment. Last year had been very bad, leaving Baekhyun to think that sooner, rather than later, he would become a widow. “What are you thinking,” Chanyeol asked with a smile. Baekhyun blinked, “You, my love.” “Me? Really? Are you sure you’re not thinking about the kids or if Sehun locked himself out of the house?” Baekhyun giggled, “I’m sure; I was thinking about you.”

Chanyeol reached across the table, taking Baekhyun’s hand and linking their fingers together. “Did you take your medicine?” Baekhyun asked. “Oh! Thank you for reminding me,” Chanyeol said as he pulled out his white pill box and swallowed two pills with his glass of water. “How are you,” he said afterwards, “Like really; I know this past year has been really hard on you.” “I’m okay,” Baekhyun said softly. Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at him. “Really, I am,” Baekhyun nodded with a smile.

“So I am a little tired; but I am so much better now that you’re out of the hospital and the doctors gave you a good prognosis.” Baekhyun suddenly felt a lump in his throat. He twisted the grip of their hands so that his thumb grazed Chanyeol’s wedding ring affectionately. “I love you,” Chanyeol murmured, making Baekhyun’s heart flutter. “I love you too,” Baekhyun said, pressing a kiss to the top of Chanyeol’s hand. For a moment Baekhyun just sat there, staring intensely at Chanyeol’s hand and Chanyeol made no effort to pull away.

Finally he looked up, catching his husband’s gaze, “How are you my love?” he asked, “I know you stay strong for the kids and for me and for the other members but…are you still nervous?” Chanyeol sighed and bit his lip, “I’m not going to lie and say that I’m not scared Baek. I know with each passing week, the odds of my body rejecting the lung go down but…”

“You won’t stop worrying until the doctors tell you that you’re healthy,” Baekhyun tried to add. “Well if it means anything, I think you look so much better. Before the transplant I thought…” he trailed off. “Thought what?” Chanyeol said scrunching his face in curiosity. “Nothing,” Baekhyun mumbled. “Baek-” Chanyeol warned, “Tell me.” “I…I thought that you were going to die,” he admitted, “I know I acted all confident that everything was going to be okay but it was really just to protect the kids and I figured that the more I said everything would be okay, the more likely I could convince myself of it too.”

“Baek,” Chanyeol whispered, his eyes glimmering in the candlelight behind a wall of forming tears. “I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said, pouting and looking down into his lap, “I know this was supposed to be a romantic meal and our chance to find a way to move on but-” “No, no,” Chanyeol quickly cut in, shaking his head. “We need to talk about this. Tonight is more than just celebrating Valentine’s Day. It’s about reconnecting. In order to do that and move on we have to lay everything out onto the table.” Chanyeol squeezed Baekhyun’s hand in comfort, “So, were you nervous about my surgery?”

Baekhyun swallowed hard, “Yeah,” he whispered, “While you were in surgery, I went to see Luhan.” Chanyeol blinked in surprise. “I threatened him actually. I told him that if he didn’t turn you away from the light I would kill myself and kick his . But then I…” he trailed off. “You what?” Chanyeol prompted. “I..I pleaded with him to look after you if you didn’t make it.” Baekhyun said as tears started rolling down his cheeks. Baekhyun couldn’t control his emotions as the words started pouring out of him, “And then I went to see Sehun and I made him promise that if you died that he would take care of the kids because I knew that if something happened to you, I wouldn’t be strong enough to continue on without you. I made Suho promise that he would walk Jia down the aisle when Lì An finally proposed and-”

“Do you think he will?” Chanyeol interrupted. Baekhyun paused before smiling, “I know he will.” Chanyeol tilted his head in confusion. “Once Jia graduates and has a good job, he is going to ask her to move in together.” Chanyeol’s eyes grew wide, dropping his mouth a little. “How do you know all of this?” Baekhyun smirked, “Because he may have asked for my permission and I may have said yes for the both of us.” “What?!” Chanyeol said hysterically, almost falling out of his chair. Baekhyun chuckled, “Don’t worry, you still have two years to learn to like the kid.”

Chanyeol pouted and leaned back in his chair, “Why did he ask you instead of me?” Baekhyun snickered again, “because you scare him sweetie.” Chanyeol huffed as the waiter approached their table to take their order. When the waiter left, Chanyeol picked up Baekhyun’s hand again, “So, what you were saying before we got side tracked with Lì Am proposing to Jia, did you really mean it?” Baekhyun tilted his head, unable to remember what he had said. “About not being strong enough to go on without me,” Chanyeol reminded him.

Baekhyun looked down at the table, “I did,” he mumbled, “You can yell at me all you want for saying that but it’s the truth. You are the air that keeps me alive Chanyeol. If you go, I won’t be able to survive.” For a long moment Chanyeol didn’t say a word; only sitting there starting at his husband before he was able to croak out, “I feel the same way.” The emotion on Chanyeol’s face was tearing up everything inside of Baekhyun’s chest. Chanyeol stood up and leaned across the table, offering a rough kiss to his husband.

Baekhyun reached up to cup Chanyeol’s face, pulling his mouth away, and whispered, “I love you so much.” Chanyeol thumbed over Baekhyun’s cheek bone, “I love you more than words can say. I am nothing without you.” He chuckled and leaned his forehead against Baekhyun’s. “Why are you laughing?” Baekhyun whispered. “This is kind of the perfect moment for something that I was going to do.” “What?” Baekhyun pulled back looking confused.

“Last year was probably the hardest year we have ever had to endure together. I don’t think you really understand how much I appreciate everything that you did to keep our family moving. You found a way to balance taking care of me, taking care of the kids, talking to the media, maintaing your career, and keeping our house clean. You were our rock and you never complained even once. All of it was just another reminder of what a truly inspirational man I married. You gave me a passionate marriage, a loving family, and you are my reason to get up every morning. We have been so busy our entire lives that I never really get the chance to show you how much you mean to me. So I thought that this could fill the place of all of the words that I wish I could say to describe how much I love you.”

With that, Chanyeol reached into his pocket and pulled out a diamond encrusted platinum band. Baekhyun’s throat closed up as his chest tightened. His emotions were swirling at the thought that Chanyeol was offering him an eternity ring. After almost 25 years of marriage, Chanyeol somehow still loved him enough to want to spend an eternity with him? Baekhyun did know whether he wanted to scream or break down into tears. He stood silently, nodding his head, as Chanyeol slipped the ring onto his finger, resting it on top of his wedding band, “Yours for eternity,” Chanyeol whispered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location: Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s House
Time: Three years later, 2051

“Are you ready for this?” Chanyeol murmured into Baekhyun’s chest where his head rest. They still had roughly 30 minutes before they had to untangle their limbs and Chanyeol wanted to stay that way for as long as possible. Baekhyun looked down at him affectionately as Chanyeol stared up at him and smiled. “I’m a little nervous,” he admitted, “Why? Are you ready for this, hot stuff?” he asked teasingly. Chanyeol offered him a quick laugh before tucking his head back down onto Baekhyun’s chest.

“I’m a little nervous too,” he confessed after a long pause. He felt Baekhyun shift underneath him and closed his eyes as his husband’s warm fingers reached up to caress his cheek. Even after decades of being together, a simple touch from Baekhyun was enough to make Chanyeol’s heart flutter. “What are you nervous about?” Baekhyun asked softly, Chanyeol’s cheek with his thumb. “I don’t know,” Chanyeol admitted, “it’s hard to explain it really. I just feel like today is the end of something big. I am so happy that today is happening but, I can’t help but think that we are about to lose as much as we gain.”

Baekhyun swallowed loudly and wrapped his arms tightly around Chanyeol, kissing his forehead gently. He knew exactly what Chanyeol meant and couldn’t even let his head contemplate the idea of what they might be losing from today, let alone put it into words. “We will be okay,” he said softly, “We just have to make sure that today is so amazing, everything else that follows will be worth it.” Chanyeol nodded, reaching up to kiss the underside of Baekhyun’s chin. “I love you,” Baekhyun said softly, pulling Chanyeol into an even tighter hug. “I love you too,” Chanyeol replied back warmly, reaching up even further to press a kiss to Baekhyun’s lips.

(Knock - knock)

Baekhyun sighed as yet another intimate moment was interrupted – story of their life. He cleared his throat, “Come in,” he chimed. The door opened slowly as Jia poked her head around, “Is it safe to come in?” Baekhyun giggled as he and Chanyeol disentangled from each other and sat up, “All clear,” Baekhyun said in amusement. Jia stepped inside, “Hi,” she said sweetly. “Hi,” Baekhyun returned with a smile, “How are you?”

“I’m really nervous,” she admitted, walking over and climbing up onto the end of their bed. “I was wondering if you had any last minute advice for me?” Chanyeol and Baekhyun glanced at each other before Baekhyun asked, “What kind of advice?” Jia shrugged, “About marriage I suppose; how do you keep it special after all of these years?” “I don’t really know sweetie,” Chanyeol shrugged, “I guess, never take your marriage for granted. Be over giving with your ‘I love you’s’ and never go to bed angry.”

“And if you argue,” Baekhyun added, “always find a quiet place to cool down and remind yourself of all of the reasons why you love him and that with a little effort, it is possible to find a compromise.” Chanyeol smiled and patted Baekhyun’s knee under the covers, “Don’t be too prideful to admit when you are wrong and apologize.” “And end every argument with a kiss – nothing more, nothing less,” Baekhyun added with a nod. Chanyeol glanced over at him and smiled.

“Speaking of kissing,” Chanyeol said with a smirk, “Intimacy is also very important to have a long and happy marriage.” Jia froze in embarrassment, “Dad…” Chanyeol waved his hand at her, “I’m not going to get into details but again, intimacy is important. In those moments when you are exhausted after a long day and just want to go to sleep, you need to use every ounce of energy that you have left to offer your husband some kind of soft touch, kiss, or compliment. Something even as small as a peck on the cheek; can mean more to a person than passionate . Yes, is important as well in a relationship, but there is so much more to loving someone than that.”

“Amen!” Baekhyun said loudly, kissing Chanyeol’s temple. “If you say so…” Jia mumbled quietly. “Oh don’t be like that. Lì An is affectionate way too much for it to be all about the . You don’t have anything to worry about my love.” Baekhyun watched as Jia’s face blushed into a hot pink color. “Oh my god,” he whispered, “You…you haven’t had yet?” he said bluntly.  Jia cringed and buried her face into her hands, shaking her head ‘no’. “What?” Chanyeol asked, his eyes widening.

“We wanted to wait until we were married…” Jia explained, continuing to look at the floor. Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at each other in disbelief and confusion. “So…” Chanyeol swallowed hard, barely able to speak the words forming in his mouth, “You’re saying that you’re…you’re still a…”

Jia squeezed her eyes shut and nodded, stopping Chanyeol from saying the dreaded last word. She turned and folded frontwards, burying her head into the covers in shame. “Wow,” Chanyeol breathed out shakily. Baekhyun reached out and tugged on Jia’s arm, pulling her towards them. She crawled up next to them and tucked herself under the covers like she used to do when she was a kid. Baekhyun wrapped his arms around her, “You have nothing to be ashamed of my sweet little girl,” he chuckled warmly, kissing her head.

“You should be proud of yourself,” Chanyeol added, “You and Lì An have been together for many years and yet your relationship has stayed this strong without ever being in the picture.” “But…” Jia stuttered, “You guys had before you were married, right?” “Yes,” Baekhyun replied softly, not even tempted to lie, “Our first times were with girls actually. But to be honest, I regret most of it because it was meaningless and nothing like what I have now. I am proud of the fact thought that the only man I ever slept with was your dad, and he remains the only man to this day.” Baekhyun smiled, reaching over to grab Chanyeol’s hand.

“Same for me,” Chanyeol agreed, “And we were together for over a year before we had full on as well.” There was a sudden knock on the door making everyone jump. “Come in!” Baekhyun yelled nervously. “I don’t mean to alarm you,” Yoora said, poking her head around the corner, “But Jia isn’t in her…oh” “I’m okay Aunt Yoora,” Jia smiled at her, “I was just talking to my dads.” “It’s time to get your hair done sweetie,” Yoora said soothingly, “I’ll wait for you downstairs when you are ready.” Yoora closed the door behind her as her footsteps faded down the stair case.

“I guess I should go,” she said with a sigh. Baekhyun leaned in and offered her another tender kiss on the cheek, “Your father and I are so proud of you; you know that right?” Jia smiled, “I know,” she whispered. “Lì An is an amazing man,” Chanyeol added, scooping Jia into a tight hug, “But you will always have a home here if you ever need it.” “I love you guys so much,” Jia sniffled, pulling Baekhyun and Chanyeol into a group hug before climbing out from under the covers and walking downstairs.

Chanyeol rolled over, burying his face into Baekhyun’s chest again, as his shoulders started to shake. “Don’t cry my love,” Baekhyun soothed, rubbing Chanyeol’s back gently, as tears started streaming down his own cheeks.

---------------------

“I swear to god Minkyu if you get stains on this,” Baekhyun warned, “You’re grounded”. “Way to be harsh dad,” Minkyu huffed. “That’s life son,” Baekhyun said unsympathetically. “Don’t cause any trouble either!” Baekhyun yelled over his shoulder as Minkyu walked out of the room. “That sure told him,” a deep voice said behind him. Baekhyun turned to see Chanyeol standing in the doorway, half-dressed in his groomsman attire. He was wearing black tuxedo pants with a sunshine yellow shirt – he looked hot. Baekhyun felt that unfamiliar tug low in his groin and mentally had to warn himself, ‘down boy, save it for later’. “Coffee?” Chanyeol said with a smile, handing Baekhyun a cup.

“Yes, thank you,” Baekhyun groaned. He walked over to take the cup and pressed a firm kiss to Chanyeol’s lips in thanks, tucking an arm around him to pull him in. “Mmm,” Chanyeol moaned in appreciation. Baekhyun pulled back and stared at Chanyeol in deep admiration, “How do you still look uncontrollably y after all of these years?” “I could ask you the same question,” Chanyeol said, leaning down for another kiss.

“Ugh,” Dohyun groaned behind them, “It would be nice if I could walk into a room without having to cover my eyes. Aren’t you two too old to be making out anyways?” “It would be nice if one day we weren’t interrupted,” Chanyeol retorted back. Dohyun rolled his eyes, grabbing his suit jacket and making a hasty exit. “Code Red,” they heard him say to someone in the hallway. “Man!” Minkyu whined, “I left my phone in there!” Baekhyun and Chanyeol snickered knowing that Minkyu wouldn’t dare come in now that the alarm system was above yellow.

“Do we have everything?” Baekhyun checked. Chanyeol nodded, “Everyone is almost done getting dressed, the flowers are here, and the limo won’t be here for another thirty minutes.” “So we have some time to relax?” Baekhyun asked with a suspicious smile. “Yep,” Chanyeol said, grinning. “Good; then I want some breakfast,” Baekhyun said teasingly, reaching up to grab Chanyeol into another kiss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location: The Ritz Carlton Seoul: Wedding Hall
Time: A few hours later

Jia stood in front of the mirror, adjusting her veil, as she listened to the chatter coming from her friends and family on the other side of the wall. There was a soft knock on the door, “Come in,” she called out, expecting one of her dads. The door opened and Sehun stepped inside, “Wow,” he said, “You are absolutely gorgeous Jia. My son is sure one lucky man.”

“Thank you,” she said, slightly blushing. “Um…” she said, biting her lip, “is everything okay?” “Yes,” Sehun nodded, smiling, “Just wanted to chat with you before your big moment.” She smiled gently and nodded, “I will treat him right Mr. Oh.” Sehun chuckled, “There’s no doubt in my mind that you will Jia. You were raised by two amazing fathers. You have grown into such a beautiful, intellectual, and loving woman. I could not have imagined a better person to be my son’s wife. I know you love my son very much. Our family may be small but we are very close and I open my arms warmly to accept anyone offering my son the love he deserves.”

“Thank you, Mr. Oh,” Jia replied. “What’s with all of this Mr. Oh stuff? It’s Sehun, my sweet daughter,” he said gently, stepping forward to wipe the tears off of Jia’s cheeks. “Take care of my son for me,” he whispered. Jia’s expression froze for a half second and Sehun knew they were on the same level. She knew. “I will,” she whispered back, “I promise.” He offered her a soft smile before turning to walk out of the door. “Sehun!” she called out behind him desperately. He turned, “Yes baby girl?” “Please…please give him some time…give us some time.” He nodded gently and turned to walk back out, leaving Jia there heartbroken.

---------------

“Are you ready princess?” Chanyeol asked energetically. He held out his arm as Jia nodded. An instrumental version of A Thousand Years started playing as her friends and family stood up to receive her. Jia looped her arm through Chanyeol’s as the doors opened and he began to lead his daughter down the aisle.