Chapter 6

I Wish

"You look rushed Satoshi." Machida commented as he watched Ohno rush around the workshop. "It's so not like you."

"I guess so." Ohno chuckled as he finally found the perfect brush for the certain he wanted. "Today's a special day so I have to finish this portrait quickly."

"Ah. Your anniversary with that kid."

"Jun's not a kid Shin-chan. He's very mature for his age. Sometimes I think he's older than I am." Ohno smiled dreamily as he stopped to think about Jun before applying the final touches to portrait. "There! Done! I just need to clean up now and then I'll head home."

"I'll help." Machida smiled and picked up some of the cans of paint on the floor.

"Thanks!" Ohno smiled brightly before heading to the storage room.

Machida sighed and frowned as his attention focused on the face on the portrait. He knows that he shouldn't really hate the kid. Jun has always been there for Ohno when he wasn't able to. It was his own fault that he lost Ohno's affection. They were together since middle school but his parents found out the summer before high school. In the end, he wasn't able to protect Ohno and defend their relationship. He was sent to to the US until he graduated and it was by pure coincidence that they met during Art History class in their first year of college. He sent one last glare to the portrait before taking a deep breath and following Ohno into the storage room.

"Ne, Satoshi..."

"Hmm?"

"Are things between us...really over?" Machida asked and bit his lip as he saw Ohno's shoulder tense up.

"Shin-chan, I..."

"Isn't there anything I can do to get you back? I know I'm the one at fault but, but..."

"I love you Shingo, just not the same way I loved you before." Ohno sighed and turned to face the other. "You don't know how much it hurt when you suddenly disappeared from my life. I was waiting for you. I waited for a 2 whole years, hoping, wishing that you would call me and tell me that you love me. To tell me that everything will be alright."

"I'm sorry."

Ohno chuckled sadly before closing his eyes and leaning back against the wall. "It's far too late for that don't you think? Besides, I've already forgiven you and it's all thanks to Jun. If he wasn't there at that time I honestly don't know what I would've done."

"Do you really love him?" Ohno's eyes snapped open and he gasped when he saw Machida standing so close in front of him.

"Wha-what are you doing?!" Ohno asked as he pushed the other back a bit, causing both of them to stumble and fall on top of each other, knocking over a few paint cans on the side.

"Just this one last time Satoshi." Machida whispered before claiming Ohno's lips with his own. Ohno's heart skipped a beat, tears flowing down his cheeks, as he closed his eyes and let Machida kiss him. That was until the sound of something falling and hurried footsteps moving away from them snapped them both out of the kiss.

"Jun." Ohno gasped as he caught sight of the picnic basket on the ground. He immediately pushed Machida away and scrambled to his feet to run after Jun.

"I'm sorry Satoshi." Machida whispered to himself as he laid there on the floor crying.

"Oi! Matsumoto! Oi!" Ohno heard Nino shouting once he got out of the store room. "What the heck?"

"Kazu! Where's Jun?!"

"Toshi-nii. Why was Jun crying?" Nino asked before sighing and pulling out his phone to call their parents and friends when Ohno merely avoided his eyes.
 

*****


Jun? I thought he and Nino were going to surprise Oh-chan today. Aiba just got out from work when he spotted a dazed Jun walking past the clothing store across from the coffee shop. He was about to call him when his phone rang. "Moshi moshi?"

"Masaki, have you seen Jun? I already called our classmates and Mom but they haven't seen him yet."

"You're looking for Jun-tan?" Aiba was surprised that his friend called Jun by his first name. "I just saw him a few minutes ago. I was about to call him when you called."

"Really?! Do you still see him?!"

"Yeah, I can still see him. I'm following him now. He looks sad." Aiba answered as he crossed the street and followed Jun. The panic in Nino's voice was enough to make him move. "What's going on?"

"Stay with him once you catch up to him. I'll explain later."

"Okay. Gotta go. He's crossing the street."

"See you later."

Aiba sprinted after Jun the moment Nino ended the call. He called out Jun's name but his friend didn't hear him and continued on walking. Aiba took a deep breath and ran a bit faster through the crowd. He might have bumped a few bags and baskets onto the ground but he was able to catch up to Jun in no time. It was a good thing too because Jun didn't notice the lights changing just a few seconds before Aiba was able to drag him back onto the sidewalk.

"Jun! Oh my god! Are you okay?" Aiba asked as he frantically inspected Jun for any scrapes or wounds. When he didn't get an answer, Aiba looked up and saw Jun biting his lip as tears threatened to fall from his already red eyes. "Hey. Jun. Look at me."

Jun's head snapped up, his eyes wide and confused before focusing onto Aiba's face. "Ma-masaki?"

"Yeah. It's me. Are you alright?"

"Masaki." Jun's voice trembled, tears falling quickly, as he grasped onto Aiba's shirt tightly. "Masaki."

"Wha...you...let's talk about this at home. Nino-chan sounded frantic over the phone."

"No. I don't want to go home. Kazu, he will understand."

"Okay, let's go to my apartment but you have to tell me everything that happened. I'll call Nino-chan from there so he won't get too worried." Aiba said as he escorted his friend back to the apartment. "I think I still have some butterscotch brownies and hot chocolate available."

"Thanks." Jun said quietly as he tightened his grasp on his friend's shirt.

 

*****


"Masaki's uncle saw him. He's safe." Nino sighed before frowning up at the man infront of him. "What in the world happened when I was gone?"

"Where is he? I need to see him." Ohno said as he stood up from the couch.

"He's safe Nii." Nino answered before pushing Ohno back onto the couch. "But I'm pretty sure you shouldn't go to him right now."

"I have to see him Kazu. I need to explain."

"Explain what?" Nino asked as the door to the store room opened with Machida coming out of it. "The hell?! What is he doing here?!"

"He was...I..." Ohno searched his brain for something to explain why Machida came out from the same room he was in a few moments ago. Unfortunately he wasn't fast enough as he felt more than saw how Nino slowly put the pieces together.

"Nii, please tell me you didn't do what I think you did."

"Ninomoya-san, Satoshi didn't do anything wrong."

"Am I speaking to you Machida-san? As far as I'm concerned, you're not even worth to be in the same school as my cousin." Nino narrowed his eyes at Machida before turning back to Ohno. "Toshi-nii. Please tell me I'm wrong."

"Jun, he...he saw us kissing." Ohno's voice trembled as he held his head in his hands. "I...I didn't mean to Kazu."

"You!" Nino growled as he marched towards Machida. "Do you have any idea on what you just did?!"

"Kazu..." Ohno said as he reached for Nino's arm.

"No Nii!" Nino shook Ohno's hand away before turning back to Machida. "You left my cousin the time he needed you the most! You made him wait for 2 whole years! No letters, no calls, no nothing! And now you hurt the only person who was able to make him smile and love again?!"

"I...I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?! That's all you've got to say after everything you did?! You...you..." Nino clenched his fists and took a deep breath. "Get out. Leave. I don't want to see you anywhere near Jun or my cousin ever again."

"But the fe--"

"I don't give a damn about the ing festival! Leave!"

"I...I'm sorry Satoshi." Machida said softly before leaving the cousins alone.

"Kazu, I...I..."

"Don't Nii. Just don't. Leave Jun alone for a while." Nino sighed and sat down on the floor as he rubbed his face with his hands. "Damn Nii. What were you thinking? I'm pretty sure you didn't even want that kiss. Why did you let him?"

"I...he...we were talking. About the past, about everything that happened. I didn't notice him getting closer. I tried to push him but...I...he said it was the last time."

"You mean you...wha...Nii! He left you!" Nino hissed as he looked up at his cousin. "Today's your anniversary with Jun for goodness sake Nii! It's your 1st anniversary! He woke up at 3 AM to make everything in that picnic."

"I know that Kazu!" Ohno yelled and sighed. "I know it's our anniversary. I painted his portrait as a gift. I...just...Shin-chan was so..."

"I don't give a damn if he was looking like the most pathetic person on earth. It's still a fact that you are with Jun and not with him." Nino took a deep breath before heading out the door. "I'm going home. My brother needs me."

Nino just stepped out of the studio when his phone rang, Aiba's name on the screen. He answered the call, a sad smile on his lips as he heard his friend's voice. "Are you with him Masaki? I see. Okay, I'll be there soon. Yes, I think I would need some cookies."