Chapter 8 - A Year’s Time

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Ryosuke POV

 

I don’t know what’s happening with me, it’s only been days since I first met Sakura and I keep wanting to stay around her. I find myself being so uneasy when I couldn’t contact her. Is this the kind of love Yuto was talking about…?

 

“You look like an idiot who is hopelessly in love…”

That was what I said to Yuto…

 

“Ryosuke, once you meet someone you like, you will not say this ever again.”

Yuto’s reply to my comment…

 

“Then I’ll gladly wait for that day to come.”

Have ‘that day’ come for me already? Did I fell hopelessly in love with Sakura?

 

Yet I wasn’t really against this idea of liking Sakura…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Today I went to find Sakura at the store after school but she was off duty, I tried calling her many times but she didn’t pick up her phone as well. When Sakura finally got back to me on the phone, I was seriously happy and relieved.

 

When she said she would come to the playground to come find me, I couldn’t believe it. Why does she do so much for me? I’m such a useless guy, why does she put in so much for me? I doubt she knows my background either, so she can’t be after my family’s wealth right?

 

Yes, I believe Sakura, she’s not that kind of person. It seems weird that I trust her so much even though I only know her for days, but, somehow this time I am quite certain of my intuitions.

 

When I finally saw her at the playground, I couldn’t control my body, I went straight up and hugged her from the back. But her body was wet and cold, was she under the heavy rain just now? But she asked me to go back and talk to that old lady again. I was quite reluctant about it, but Sakura always manage to persuade me to do things against my wish… Therefore, I decided I will try talking to her tonight again, that I don’t want her to decide my life for me.

 

I went back home after sending Sakura home, the old lady is sitting at the living room… It’s weird, she is usually in bed by this time, why is she still awake today?

 

… I shall take the chance and bring it up to her then…

 

“I…”

 

“Is there anything you want to tell me?”

 

That old lady spoke before I got to. This is so rare, that she tries to listen to what I have to say. Usually she’s the one doing the talking, what’s with her today?

 

“I….. I would like you to stop forcing me to do things against my wish.” I said it.

 

“And what would those things be?”

 

!!! She didn’t get angry?!?!

 

I continued saying,

 

“Like forcing me to marry someone I don't like, or disapproving me of doing things you think I shouldn't do, and, forcing me to take over the company…” She’s definitely going to get angry!

 

“That's because you haven't show me what you want to do. You’ve been wasting your time away doing nothing. How do you expect me not to think for your future?”

 

…..!!! This… this is the first time I felt this old lady’s concern for me… She’s right, I have yet become someone she could approve of, and that's totally my fault…

 

“You’re right… Then can you give me a chance to learn to become independent? I hope to become someone whom you will approve and be proud of. So till then, could you let me have the freedom?” I have decided, I want to go out of this cage which has been protecting me all these years…

 

“....... I’ll give you time till your graduation from high school next year then. If by then you still can't prove anything to me, you will listen to what I plan for you.”

 

A year's time huh…

 

“Alright, I’ll take the challenge then.”

 

“Don't forget, you are still the heir of Yamada’s holdings. I can only rely on you to take over the business that your father and I built up over all these years…”

 

That's right… I almost forgot about this. I have been so against my family background, that I have neglected the fact that this business is something my parents worked hard for, and is what have been supporting my living all these while.

 

“.......I’ll grow up and become someone who’s capable of managing the company based on my ability and not because I’m your son.”

 

“Ryosuke…” The old lady walked over and gave me a hug.

 

How long has it been since she last hugged me…? I don't dislike it…

 

“Mum… Sorry for my rebellion all these years…” It's been long since I last called her mum too.

 

“Ryosuke…..” I felt my shoulders getting wet, she’s crying, and I was the one who made her so upset…

 

“Are you hungry? I’ll make you some food.”

 

“Yes… I’ll help you…”

 

We made and ate supper together. This is the first time in many years that we have a proper meal together on the same table.

 

I went back to my room, thinking of what I should do from now. Sakura’s face appeared in my mind again. I want to tell her what just happened, she would definitely be so happy, yet it's really late already, I decided to tell her tomorrow, since I will start work tomorrow as well, I would be able to see Sakura…

 

The next morning I went to school as usual, and I went straight to the convenience store after school for my first day of work. As I was about to enter the store, someone was entering at the same time and banged into me. I turned to look at the person, and it's the person I don't want to meet the most,

 

“White-faced bastard, have you got no eyes?”

 

“Shortie coward, get lost, I’m reporting for work today.”

 

“Huh? According to the schedule, I thought you should start work tomorrow?”

 

“It’s all thanks to you.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I was called down last minute to take over Sakura.”

 

“... What? What happened to Sakura?”

 

“She caught a cold, and don't tell me you don't know what happened yesterday?”

 

“... What?”

 

“Ah Ryosuke and Keito! You guys are here, come in! I’ll guide you on your roles.” Sugimoto-san saw us outside and called us in.

 

After Sugimoto-san briefed us on our job, he left to go to other branches. I am left alone with Keito in the store.

 

“Keito, tell me what happened to Sakura?”

 

“You idiot, have you not surf any social media sites yesterday?”

 

“...I don’t surf those sites.”

 

“......... What generation are you living in? Look at this.”

 

Keito showed me a picture on his phone.

 

“..........This…… is…… Sakura?!?! Why is she kneeling down??? This place looks familiar….”

 

“........Are you blind? Isn’t this your family’s office?”

 

“.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!” YES IT IS. Why does Sakura know where Yamada’s Holdings is? Does she know my real identity…?

 

“Why is Sakura kneeling down….?” I still don’t understand.

 

“She’s pleading to your mother, to listen to what you have to say.”

 

“...........What….?”

 

So it’s all Sakura’s doings...

 

“Seriously I thought you were just a coward, I didn’t know you’re a spoilt brat too. But seeing how wealthy your family is, I guess I understand why you get so spoilt.”

 

I thought I will get angry at what Keito said, but I realized what he said is true. I am a spoilt and coward brat.

 

“...................You’re right…………”

 

“...........wait……. why didn’t you get angry at what I’ve just said?”

 

“Because you are right, I’m an idiot. I only blame at what I am borned with, and neglected what I have…”

 

“..........Then start to cherish what you have now.” Keito got a little gentle.

 

“Thanks, Keito. Please scold me next time if I am behaving like a bastard again.”

 

“... Idiot, leave it to me.”

 

Keito raised his right hand beside his face, I used my right hand and slap on it, and we clutched our hands together. It’s a sign that we’ve become friends from this moment.

 

Our shifts were ending at 10pm, after bidding goodbye to Keito, I decided to visit Sakura.

 

I pressed on the door bell, but there was no response… I got worried, did Sakura’s illness got worse?

 

“Sakura!! Sakura!! This is Ryosuke!! Are you in???” I started shouting and knocking the door harder, hoping Sakura would hear me.

 

Suddenly I hear the door opening, when the door opened, what I saw was a really pale-looking Sakura.

 

“...Ryo..suke… why are you here…?” Sakura couldn’t even stand up straight nor speak properly.

 

“Sakura! Are you alright? You look really pale!!”

 

“I’m fine…”

 

And the next moment Sakura lost her balance and I caught her in my arms.

 

“Sakura! Come, I’ll carry you to your bed.”

 

I carried Sakura to her bed, and realised her body is very hot,

 

“Sakura, do you have a thermometer?”

 

“Nope…”

 

“How about some medicine?”

 

“Nope…”

 

“..........” I feel pain in my heart seeing such a Sakura who doesn’t care about her own body.

 

I placed a wet towel on her forehead,

 

“Sakura, I’m going out to get some medicine and a thermometer, I’ll be back soon, ok?”

 

“Ryosuke… I’m fine…”

 

“NO! You aren’t! I’ll come back quickly!”

 

I dashed out of Sakura’s apartment to the nearest convenience store and got my stuffs before coming back.

 

“Sakura! I’m back!”

 

I went up to see Sakura and saw her covered in sweats, and her face is really red. I measured her temperature, and it was almost 40 degrees celsius!

 

“Sakura! Your fever is very bad! I’ll bring you to the hospital now!”

 

“Ryosuke, I’m fine… Just feed me the medicine you bought…”

 

“But!!”

 

“I’ll be fine…”

 

………. My body naturally listened to Sakura again, and I fed her with the medicine I bought. I continued tapping her body with a cold wet towel, hoping to reduce her body temperature. Sakura fell asleep soon after taking the medicine.

 

I took care of her the whole night till her body temperature returned to normal. I lie my head next to hers while sitting beside her bed, and my hands naturally went to touch her face, her pale-looking face. She’s doing way too much for me… Why…?

 

“Arghh….” I woke up slightly before 7 a.m., I realized I’ve fallen asleep while sitting beside Sakura. And, where is she? She’s not on her bed.

 

“Ah Ryosuke! Morning! You should get ready for school!” Sakura was speaking from behind me.

 

I turned over and saw her in the kitchen, “What are you doing, have you recovered from your fever?”

 

I went up and placed my hands on her forehead to measure her temperature.

 

“Yes, I’m fine already, thanks for taking care of me last night.”

 

“And what are you doing now?”

 

“I’m making a bento for you to bring to school.” Sakura smiled at me.

 

“...there isn’t a need…” I was feeling shy, I’ve not brought any bento to school before. My mother wasn’t free to prepare any for me in the past, and bringing a bento made by my butler sounds wrong too.

 

“Go and take a bath, your uniform is hanging outside the shower room.”

 

“...my uniform…?”

 

“...Ah, yes, Naito-san brought it over for you just now.”

 

“...Naito…? How did he know…”

 

“I called him to say that you were here last night.”

 

“Sakura, why do you have his contact, why do you know who is my mother, and, why you seem like you know so much about me?”

 

“.........”

 

“Sakura, tell me…”

 

I want to know, I don’t want to be the only one not knowing what is happening...

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

ミステリー ヴァージン - 山田涼介

 

謎は全て解く それが僕の使命

I’ll solve all the mystery, that is my mission

謎を謎のまま 決して 終わらせないよ…。

I’ll not let the mystery go unsolved...

 

Mystery

僕が指さす行き先は 揺るぎなき真実へ向かっていくんだ

The direction I’m pointing to, is steadily leading me towards the truth

「未来」の名にかけ 必ず 本当の君の姿を 解き明かしてみせる 僕は

In the name of ‘future’, I’ll definitely solve the mystery of the real you

そう他の誰でもない 君の 涙じゃない 本当の笑顔

That’s right, no one else, not your tears, but your real smile

本当の君が 全てを許す日まで

Till you let me see the real you

Of truth in the Shine

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: I like how Ryosuke’s song, Mystery ’s lyrics suit how the Ryosuke in this fanfic is feeling at the end of this chapter. XD It’s quite fun choosing song lyrics that fit in each chapter of this fanfic. =D

 

Am really loving Semi in the movie, Grasshopper. A cold-blooded killer yet sometimes he behaves like a kid. Hopefully I can write another interesting fanfic using Semi character again. Hehe~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------