Chapter 24 - Short Lasting Happiness

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Sakura POV

 

Within the next two months, Ryosuke has gradually got his hands steady in his job. He works very hard for both his studies and work. His time was getting more and more occupied, but he doesn’t neglect me at all when he comes home after a long day. As for me, I make sure I am always there to support him mentally and physically.

 

Soon, it was going into winter already, and the weather is getting colder and colder each day.

 

“Sakura-chan, are you free tomorrow?” Ryosuke’s mother asked me while we are in the kitchen preparing dinner for tonight.

 

“Ah, yes I am! I don’t have work tomorrow.”

 

“Shall we go shopping together? The weather is getting cold so I thought of getting some coats and scarfs for Ryosuke. I thought you’ll be able to give me opinions on what he would like.”

 

“Oh! Sure!! I’m much willing to!” I replied with a wide smile.

 

This is the first time Ryosuke’s mother asked me out for a shopping date! I feel so happy, my relationship with her is getting better and better each day. This is something I didn’t thought would happen after all the past incidents.

 

The next day...

 

“Auntie! I’m ready!!”

 

“Alright! Give me another five more minutes!”

 

Ryosuke’s mother assistant gave us a ride to the shopping mall before leaving to run an errand instructed by Ryosuke’s mother.

 

This is a shopping date with just the two of us, I find myself getting nervous…

 

“Sakura-chan, shall we have brunch first? I have a friend who opens a cafe here.”

 

“Yes sure!!”

 

While we are waiting for our meals to be served, I took the chance to thank Ryosuke’s mother for willing to forgive me and accepting me.

 

“Auntie… I’m really grateful that you are willing to forgive me, and accepting me despite what has happened in the past. I honestly have never thought that this day would come…”

 

“....... Sakura-chan… I was the blinded one, I couldn’t make proper judgements in the past. I thought I was doing the right things for Ryosuke’s sake, until you appeared and changed my thinkings.”

 

“No!! Auntie, it’s common that parents worry a lot for their children, so you have done nothing wrong…”

 

“Sakura-chan… Please continue to support Ryosuke from now on, you are the only one who could tame him…”

 

“Auntie… Ryosuke said the exact same thing as you, as expected from the mother and son.” I chuckled at the same comment Ryosuke and his mother made.

 

“Really? To be honest, I still can’t believe that brat is becoming such a capable man. I haven’t gotten use to him being so obedient.”

 

“Haha! No worries, I’m sure you would get used to it soon!!”

 

We had a nice chat with each other over our meals, talking not only about Ryosuke, but also about how Ryosuke’s mother decided to marry Ryosuke’s stepfather. It was then I realized love can be so powerful at times…

 

After our meals, we went into the clothing store to begin our shopping.

 

“Sakura-chan, what do you think of this?” Ryosuke’s mother asked me while holding a checkered coat.

 

“Hmm… It’s nice, but I think Ryosuke might like that leather jacket more…”

 

“Really? Then shall we get this for him instead?” Ryosuke’s mother went on to grab the leather jacket I was pointing to. She looks so cute trying to find a suitable coat for Ryosuke.

 

If only… My parents were alive… Maybe we would be shopping together as well…

 

Suddenly, I felt a warm sensation in my right hand.

 

“Sakura-chan, what about you? Which coat do you like?” Ryosuke’s mother came up and held my hand while saying.

 

Warm… I felt warm from her hands… It was as if my own mother was holding my hands… I… I have longed for this so much…

 

“Sakura-chan?? Are you alright??”

 

“Ah! I’m okay… Sorry for spacing out.” I squeezed out a smile despite having the urge to cry.

 

“...... Are you thinking of your parents…?” Ryosuke’s mother guessed what I was thinking.

 

“............ Ah… um…” I nodded my head slightly…

 

“Sakura-chan… I’m sorry for causing you to lose your parents… From now on, just treat me and Ryosuke’s father as your own parents… Ok…?” Ryosuke’s mother held both of my hands tightly and caressed them.

 

“...... Auntie… Ok… I will…” I smiled without hiding any of my happiness emotions.

 

After we are done with our shopping, we were resting on a bench together.

 

“Sakura-chan, this is for you.” Ryosuke’s mother handed me a shopping bag.

 

“Hmm…? What is it…?” I looked inside the shopping bag and found a ladies coat, it was the coat I was looking at just now…

 

“I saw you staring at this coat earlier, I hope you are liking this. This is my little gift of thanks to you for taking care of Ryosuke all these while. From today onwards, just rely on our family if anything happens… Alright?”

 

“Auntie… Thank you… I’ll cherish this…” I went up and gave Ryosuke’s mother a hug.

 

I  am feeling so blessed at this moment, till I am starting to get afraid of this overwhelming happiness.  

 

After we were done with shopping for the day and were leaving the shopping mall, waiting for the car to come and fetch us home, it was then Ryosuke’s mother remembered that she left something at the shop we were at. So I told her to wait here for me while I run back to the store to retrieve her stuffs.

 

After retrieving her stuffs, I went back to the entrance of the mall, I saw Ryosuke’s mother standing by the roadside waiting for me. Suddenly, there was a van which stopped steps away from her, three masked guys alighted from the van. Within seconds, those guys went up to Ryosuke’s mother swiftly and grabbed her into the van.

 

“AUNTIE!!!” I quickly dashed towards them but the van drove off immediately.

 

I quickly hopped onto a taxi which came by, and asked the driver to follow that van which captured Ryosuke’s mother.

 

!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING?

 

While in the taxi, I was trying to contact Ryosuke but seems like his phone wasn’t with him. I contacted Naito-san instead and told him that Ryosuke’s mother had been captured by unknown guys and that I am currently following them in a taxi, I told him to track down my phone’s GPS and come save us as soon as possible.

 

The van was driving to some outskirt warehouse, and I alighted some distance away from the van to avoid getting found out by them. As I progressed my way slowly and quietly towards the warehouse, suddenly someone tapped on my shoulders,

 

“What are you doing?” A guy’s voice rang in my ears.

 

“Ah… I’m… AHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Before I was able to defend for myself, I was being held down by them.

 

They tied my arms and legs with ropes, and sealed my mouth with masking tapes.

 

“Hey! Check if she has a phone on her!” One of them spoke.

 

!! If they get hold of my phone, Naito-san wouldn’t be able to track my position!!

 

They started digging my bag and found my phone and destroyed it.

 

THIS IS BAD.

 

They brought me into the warehouse and threw me on the floor.

 

“Ummm!!!!”

 

This voice…!!!

 

I turned to my right and saw Ryosuke’s mother lying there with sealed and four limbs tied up as well!!!

 

“Don’t worry! We won’t hurt you! We just want money! After getting the ransom we will let you off!” One of the masked guys said.

 

. This is a kidnap for ransom?!?! I hope they won’t turn back on their words. I don’t want anything to happen to Ryosuke’s mother!!

 

Soon, two guys left the warehouse leaving one to look after us.

 

In the meantime, I was scanning around the warehouse, to see if there is any sharp material I can use to cut off the ropes binding my hands. Fortunately, I managed to spot a small broken metal blade at the corner to the left of my current position. I wriggle my body slowly without making much noise, trying to reach for the metal blade. As the same time, the guy who was looking after us was dozing off from playing his phone.

 

THIS IS THE CHANCE TO ESCAPE!!

 

I managed to grab hold of the metal blade and started cutting off the rope which was binding my hands. I managed to cut off the rope and freed my hands and legs, then, I took off the masking tape off my mouth. I ran towards Ryosuke’s mother quietly and freed her as well.

 

“Auntie, stay calm, I’ll get you out of here. Don’t be afraid, I’ll be with you, alright?” I tried to calm Ryosuke’s mother down as she looks really traumatized by what was happening.

 

She gave me a few nods on her head without saying anything.

 

By then, the guy was already sleeping soundly, I held onto Ryosuke’s mother’s shoulders and we walked towards the door. We managed to get out of the warehouse and started running away.

 

“THEY’RE THERE!!! GET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!” Shoutings were heard from our backs.

 

!! THEY FOUND US!!!

 

I continue holding onto Ryosuke’s mother tightly and hasten our pace…

 

“AHHH!!” It was the voice of Ryosuke’s mother!

 

I realized I have lost grip of Ryosuke’s mother and she fell down!

 

“Auntie? Are you alright? Can you get up?” I squat down to see if Ryosuke’s mother is alright.

 

“Ahh I’m okay.. AHH!! PAIN!!!” Ryosuke’s mother tried to stand up but she fell back down on the floor again.

 

, she might have fractured her ankle.

 

“Sakura-chan! Run!! I’ll stay here! They probably won’t hurt me since they only wanted money! RUN!! LEAVE ME ALONE!!” Ryosuke’s mother tried to push me away.

 

“NO!!! I WON’T LEAVE YOU ALONE HERE!!!”

 

As soon as I said that, I see the face of Ryosuke’s mother getting lighted up. I turned to my left, and saw striking beam of lights shining on us. I squint my eyes to see what was the source of the light…

 

My heart stopped for a few seconds...

 

IT WAS THE VAN OF THOSE GUYS…

 

The van was heading towards us at a fast speed!!!

 

WE ARE IN DEEP .

 

I turned to look at Ryosuke’s mother, she is still in pain, and I can’t move her away.

 

……………………………

 

There is only one solution that come into my mind……

 

I stood up and run towards the van, I decided to use my body as a shield.

 

This is the only way I can protect Ryosuke’s mother.

 

“Sakura-chan!!!” Ryosuke’s mother was yelling my name.

 

I turned to look at her, “It’s okay!!!”, and gave her a smile.

 

And it is probably the last smile I can give her…

 

In split seconds, a strong impact hit my body, before I felt any pain, I see myself getting thrown in the air…

 

“SAKURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

Someone was calling me…

 

Ah…

 

Ryosuke…?

 

They have reached here…

 

Ryosuke’s mother would be saved then…

 

That is great…

 

“AHH!!!!!!!!!” My body hitted hard on the ground, and was sent spinning a few rounds before my body finally stopped by itself.

 

“HA… HA… HA…”

 

I felt tightness in my chest and was panting non-stop, I felt blood gushing around my body speedily, my heart was thumping heavily, I can’t move my body…

 

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I heard a familiar voice screaming…

 

Ryosuke…?

 

Is he alright…?

 

He sounds like he is in pain…

 

I want to embrace him…

 

I want to…

 

But I can’t...

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

この恋眠ろう - 堂本剛

 

愛してる、 大丈夫

I love you, I’ll be fine...

愛してる、 いまは この恋、眠ろう

I love you, our love will, go into sleep now...

 

愛してる、大丈夫

I love you, I’ll be fine...

愛してる、いまは この僕、眠ろう

I love you, the me who loves you will, go into sleep now...

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s Note: Aww… I like the song that I have inserted the lyrics in this chapter. The lyrics are simple yet it is melancholic, fitting into the situation of Sakura at the end of this chapter…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------